Man City 5-2 Saints - Match Thread

LGTL

1 minute ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

I don't think we have much chance of winning the league title now.

Looks like some agree with you, just read this elsewhere....

Southampton's winning run can't last forever - and City's losing streak has to end at some point”

• Like 1

Just now, Pamplemousse said:

Got to say I agree with that lineup. The last thing we need is KWP and Diallo injured again

Bednarek a shambles at right back so even if you think this then Ramsey should be starting. 

Tella dropped for Redmond? What the actual fuck? 

Forster dropped for McCarthy? Can't even argue that's due to fitness. 

• Like 1

You won't win games if you leave your best players on the bench. Injuries are part and parcel of the game. You deal with them if and when they happen. Ralph seems to be so worried about losing his best players to injury that he thinks it's better to not play them. Absolutely crazy. That's possibly the worst starting line up I've seen this season. It's as if he's said 'We won't beat them anyway, so let's not even try'. 😡

• Haha 1

I somewhat agree with this line up too.

Only Forster is the one I'd have preferred to play.

At the end of the day, KWP/Diallo have just come back it would be shooting ourselves in the foot if we started them and then lost them for a few more games again. 

I've always wanted to know what Stephens will be like in CDM, and yes Man City away isn't probably the time to experiment but I'm still excited!*

* I may change my tune if we are 5-0 down at HT 🙃

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

Ah yes, that explains why Tella is dropped after his no injuries this season, same with Forster. 

That doesn't mean you don't need to manage them. Who knows what the sports science is saying about Tella? We have no insight in that, just the club and Ralph.

I still retain the view that JWP is some sort of cyborg and not human.

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

Ah yes, that explains why Tella is dropped after his no injuries this season, same with Forster. 

Can only assume he wants Tella raring to go against Brighton. Agree about Forster, that's a strange one unless he doesn't want his confidence knocked! Like you would rather see Ramsay right back, and if fit give Jankewitz another go - he likes Manchester!

1 minute ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

You won't win games if you leave your best players on the bench. Injuries are part and parcel of the game. You deal with them if and when they happen. Ralph seems to be so worried about losing his best players to injury that he thinks it's better to not play them. Absolutely crazy. That's possibly the worst starting line up I've seen this season. It's as if he's said 'We won't beat them anyway, so let's not even try'. 😡

You'd be the first one frothing at the mouth had we played our first team, lost anyway, had injuries and were depleted for Brighton.

So pipe down.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, S-Clarke said:

That doesn't mean you don't need to manage them. Who knows what the sports science is saying about Tella? We have no insight in that, just the club and Ralph.

I still retain the view that JWP is some sort of cyborg and not human.

None of this explains why Stephens is starting in CM instead of Armstrong who put in a great performance there a four of games ago.

WTF - what the hell is Ralph doing?

Tella is young and can handle multiple games in a week whereas Redmond is just crap.

WTF is Bednarek doing playing RB (unless we are going 3 at the back) and why the hell is Forster on the bench?

Totally random selection picker tonight obviously!

• Like 2

There's a rationale behind all those changes, but the overly dramatic reactions continue. The same people would moan if the rotated players got injured. I'm just surprised at Armstrong playing again so soon as he's one who struggles to maintain peak form. These decisions are made with more detailed knowledge than we have and none of them surprise me.

• Like 5

Looks like Ralph has done his usual attempt at doing something so far out that nobody understands(in terms of formation) in the hopes it is accidental genius. Unfortunately not many of those have worked out so far. But let's see how we line-up.

Edited by BotleySaint

Not sure the changes and line up matters that much. There isn't a huge drop off from our first eleven and the reserves. If it means the likes of Tella avoid injury and we can attack Brighton and Bournemouth games, it's a wise move. Not sure why the keeper needs to change though. Maybe he doesn't want Forster confidence knocked by conceding a hatful?

Not quite sure how you beat City unless you have the talent the likes of Liverpool and Man U have and are able to go toe toe with them. Even Liverpool at their best (when they beat city) could only press them for a half. Palace caught them on the break brilliantly, but we don't have either the ability to go toe to toe or the pace and skill on the break.

Where does that leave us then? Five at the back, defend for your lives? I'd like us to go for it, not surrender before we start, and press them as though they were an average side. But they are not an average side though are they...

Our players are going to have to work their socks off and hope we get lucky. Conceding early will kill us. 

16 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

I don't understand dropping Forster and I don't understand starting Redmond over Tella.

We're not winning this regardless, but I'm not sure why Forster get's dropped.

Tella hasn’t been back from injury very long has he?

Look at it as good news, it should mean Redmond is benched at the weekend.

9 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Exactly. Walker Peters and Diallo fair enough, not match fit yet , but can't agree with Tella and Forster changes as well 

Not sure that many changes helps and what is the line up  ... weird.

I too have wanted to see Stephens in midfield. Away to City great place to try it out ... not.

Redmond for Tella was obvious. He better player well or the haters will vent.

Feels like McCarthy has been thrown under a bus. This could be 5 or 6 against.

Mind you decent of City to not play a striker

I've reserved my space behind the sofa. 

No point giving Brighton too many minutes of tape to suss out how to stop Tella.

Jack Stephen’s the interesting one I guess alongside JWP but rather than James dropping back between Bednarek and Vestergaard as he does in game Stephen’s will be doing that - someone said the other week that allegedly Stephen’s was training in midfield. Salisu might be too left footed to play on the right, whereas Bertie is experienced enough to do the job over there.

Dont think many of us are holding their breath for a win (Sky chat has getting smashed into next week) but as Greavsie always said “it’s a funny old game - Saint”.

Edited by John Boy Saint

• Lighthouse changed the title to Man City 5-2 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic