Man City 5-2 Saints - Match Thread

LGTL

8 hours ago, InvictaSaint said:

I still have very happy memories of being at Maine Road and seeing Dan Petrescu score the winner for us.....

Another one given a truly hilarious nickname by our great fans. Dan Pet Rescue. LMFAO

yeah that was a good away day, Maine Road was a good old ground, middle of Moss Side, decent away end, good atmosphere. I remember us all being quite optimistic we were going to qualify for Europe at the end of the game 

10 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Well you know how this will pan out, Pep demands a reaction and we are the poor sods who get both barrels straight between the eyes. Ah well, there are no easy games in the PL Ralph?

Forster has got the gloves now.. and if he keeps a clean sheet on Wednesday ....at least we'd get one point.

City won't want another loss that's for sure, we simply have to go into this without giving city any respect if we show any kind of fear or simply turn up with a park the bus philosophy or think that tippy tappy is going to work they will rip us apart, attack is definitely the best form of defence. A draw would be fantastic stick with che & tella with dejenepo assisting them 

5 minutes ago, Mr X said:

City won't want another loss that's for sure, we simply have to go into this without giving city any respect if we show any kind of fear or simply turn up with a park the bus philosophy or think that tippy tappy is going to work they will rip us apart, attack is definitely the best form of defence. A draw would be fantastic stick with che & tella with dejenepo assisting them 

Yes go all out at them from the start like United did tonight. 

I can see an Adams Tella Ward-Prowse Minamino Armstrong onslaught getting a quick goal

----------------------Forster--------------

--KWP-------Bednarek----Vest------RB--

--Minamino-----Diallo-----JWP---Djenepo--

----------------Adams----Tella------------

Protect Armstrong for Sunday. Hit them early, hopefully knick something and just try and keep it respectable so that we don't lose too much confidence heading into the next two. 4-0 though, sadly. 

47 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

People saying Forster hasn't really been tested properly yet this season. Well he's about to be.

Forster has a little bit of history when having to pull out all the stops, literally, against superior teams.  Ask Barcelona.  

I think Ralph will rest Armstrong, minimimo and possibly bednarek. Ideally he would not risk KWP but I don't think we have an other option but to play him unfortunately. Bring in Redmond, moussa and Salisu. Then recall them again for Brighton home on Sunday. The city pitch didn't look great yesterday plus we are going to have to work our socks off to try and contain them so we will need fresh legs on Sunday. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

23 hours ago, InvictaSaint said:

I still have very happy memories of being at Maine Road and seeing Dan Petrescu score the winner for us.....

I was at that game as a kid and was picked out the crowd to take a penalty at half time against their mascot. The big fucker saved it too 😂

• Haha 1

I'd expect to see Djenepo and Redmond coming in  for Armstrong and one other. Hopefully Redmond turns in a performance for his ex non secret admirer Guardiola.

Interesting to see what happens with KWP. Does Ralph rotate him out, protecting him for more important matches, given he's only recently back from injury. However, given we are bereft of other options i really have no wish to see Bednarek play there ever again.  Same scenario with Diallo too i suppose.

2 hours ago, Totton Saint said:

Man U have proved MAN CITY are not invincible, so let's give it our best shot,- literally.  It would be such a boost to Saint's morale. We beat Liverpool so why not City?

Tella is fresh so give him his head.

Absolutely! The team that beat us 9-0 have shown that the team we are about to play are not unbeatable 😉

If anyone thinks that a win against Sheffield Utd is any indication of the form and confidence in our fragile squad they need to think again. There is very little to suggest this will be anything other than another humiliating drubbing. I can see 4-0 or worse.

Team selection will do little more than to keep the scoreline respectable, but in my view playing the strongest team possible is the right way for Ralph. However I can see McCarthy and Redmond being given the nod. Doubt Minamino will play. Adams up top and possibly Djenepo will be given a job at pseudo RB again with a flexible back three.

Fingers crossed...hands in front of face...would be mildly ecstatic with one point to be fair. COYS!😞

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

If anyone thinks that a win against Sheffield Utd is any indication of the form and confidence in our fragile squad they need to think again. There is very little to suggest this will be anything other than another humiliating drubbing. I can see 4-0 or worse.

Team selection will do little more than to keep the scoreline respectable, but in my view playing the strongest team possible is the right way for Ralph. However I can see McCarthy and Redmond being given the nod. Doubt Minamino will play. Adams up top and possibly Djenepo will be given a job at pseudo RB again with a flexible back three.

Fingers crossed...hands in front of face...would be mildly ecstatic with one point to be fair. COYS!😞

Agree. Let's face it no one expects anything from us in this game, so vital that we do not risk any one of the players returning from injury - if there is the slightest doubt over KWP, Mini, Diallo, Armstrong etc. please please do not risk them as we have more winnable games coming up

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Red said:

Agree. Let's face it no one expects anything from us in this game, so vital that we do not risk any one of the players returning from injury - if there is the slightest doubt over KWP, Mini, Diallo, Armstrong etc. please please do not risk them as we have more winnable games coming up

Agreed. Not to mention the more important Cup game(s).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red said:

Not sure Ralph will want to risk another 9-0 though, I expect it will be the strongest side possible. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red said:

We can hardly squeal that we lost so many games through the injuries of lots of key players, when we don't play our best team.

Oh, I see what you mean , if we ship loads of goals we can plead that not everyone is available for two matches a week.

One of my first ever away games was in the 3rd Round of the FA Cup in 1960. We were a third division team and City I think top of the football  league. We had a couple of young wingers who were pretty good and Derek Reeves (snatched from Bournemouth Gasworks) at centre-forward. But we had no chance; no chance at all. I am pretty sure we won 5-1 and Reeves got 4 though Saints best ever player (sorry Tiss but I think you know it is true) ran the game as he did so often. 

• Like 1

Surely KWP gets rested, especially after he got injured in the first place by playing two games quickly after coming back from a muscle injury.

Must be a temptation to leave Diallo out for the same reason.

Interesting selection for what is a thankless task ahead of a big game vs Brighton.

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

But they’ve already dropped points so from now on we only need them to drop points one game in a row.

You'd fancy our chances when they're on a 20game winning streak instead then? 🤔😉

7 hours ago, Village Saint said:

One of my first ever away games was in the 3rd Round of the FA Cup in 1960. We were a third division team and City I think top of the football  league. We had a couple of young wingers who were pretty good and Derek Reeves (snatched from Bournemouth Gasworks) at centre-forward. But we had no chance; no chance at all. I am pretty sure we won 5-1 and Reeves got 4 though Saints best ever player (sorry Tiss but I think you know it is true) ran the game as he did so often. 

You have a good memory. It was the 9th January 1960 and we were in the Third Division (South). Saints team was Charles, Davies, Traynor, Connor, Page, Huxford, Paine, O'brien, Reeves, Mulgrew and Sydenham. The Saints other goal was scored by George O'brien. The 20 year old Terry Paine made four of the goals and I presume he is your best ever player. Great days.

15 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Would be madness to bring in McCarthy and Redmond. Start same team after a win following slump. Only way to build. 

1 hour ago, DT said:

Would be madness to bring in McCarthy and Redmond. Start same team after a win following slump. Only way to build. 

With the fragile nature of the squad that wouldn't be sensible. There have been major injuries in every game recently, can't risk that against City.

Forster should play, no need to change. Redmond definitely should play. On current form we can all see that will weaken the team, but not disastrously, he knows his job and just needs to do the best he can. Crucially he is fit and it will protect Tella or Minimano.

Similarly I would play Stephens at RB. Wouldn't be terrible but clearly makes it easier for City. Ralph has to protect KWP.

It is ridiculous that, as fans, we have to contemplate and accept playing a weakened side. Questions need to be asked of the owners, but we are where we are. Need to tough it out.

Edited by macca155
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Village Saint said:

and Derek learned to play on that Beautiful pitch at Alder Road, which was also used for the Poole Schools Sports day off season, sadly now housing.

8 hours ago, Andy Durman said:

Expect Salisu to start, along with Stephens, Redmond and Jankewitz

Vestergard, KWP, Diallo and Armstrong to be rested.

We need to ease KWP back in. We all know that he has become the most integral part of how we set up. We can't rush him back from injury and start grinding him straight away. Give him a week, lets keep him fit for the remaining games. I'm all for heavy rotation in this one. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, macca155 said:

With the fragile nature of the squad that wouldn't be sensible. There have been major injuries in every game recently, can't risk that against City.

Forster should play, no need to change. Redmond definitely should play. On current form we can all see that will weaken the team, but not disastrously, he knows his job and just needs to do the best he can. Crucially he is fit.

Key reason he plays is to protect others for more important games coming up. Probably Tella, but could be Minimano.

Similarly I would play Stephens at RB. Wouldn't be terrible but clearly makes it easier for City. It protects KWP, that is the key point.

It is ridiculous that, as fans, we have to contemplate and accept playing a weakened side. Questions need to be asked of the owners, but we are where we are. Need to tough it out.

Like you, I'd be fine with playing Jack in this game as a right back to protect KWP. I also want to protect Armstrong (3 games a week seems too much for his body), Diallo & Bertrand. We just don't have any back-up for CDM/LB if Diallo and Bertrand get an injury in a match that we are likely to lose. The Brighton game remains more important and we need our best players injury free and ready for that. 

If Man City is treated as a one-off match I wouldn't be against playing three at the back either, although the lack of any natural wing-backs would probably negate that. I can see Djenepo doing his best if asked to perform at WB (although his positioning isn't his greatest strength), but Bertrand is the only other obvious alternative and for the reasons above, would prefer him not to play.  I just don't see Jack playing as right wing-back, unless we really do play 5 at the back and don't have any plans to leave our penalty area other than to boot it forward for Tella to chase. 

I'd keep Tella in; he is young, his confidence has been boosted by a good performance and won't need the same level of rest as some of the others who have had a very long season ... 

Really difficult team to call. 

1 hour ago, WALK DMC said:

Like you, I'd be fine with playing Jack in this game as a right back to protect KWP. I also want to protect Armstrong (3 games a week seems too much for his body), Diallo & Bertrand. We just don't have any back-up for CDM/LB if Diallo and Bertrand get an injury in a match that we are likely to lose. The Brighton game remains more important and we need our best players injury free and ready for that. 

If Man City is treated as a one-off match I wouldn't be against playing three at the back either, although the lack of any natural wing-backs would probably negate that. I can see Djenepo doing his best if asked to perform at WB (although his positioning isn't his greatest strength), but Bertrand is the only other obvious alternative and for the reasons above, would prefer him not to play.  I just don't see Jack playing as right wing-back, unless we really do play 5 at the back and don't have any plans to leave our penalty area other than to boot it forward for Tella to chase. 

I'd keep Tella in; he is young, his confidence has been boosted by a good performance and won't need the same level of rest as some of the others who have had a very long season ... 

Not at all. Ralph has suffered two 9-0 defeats no way will his CV stand another. He has no option but to play his strongest team and go for it, This will not be the time for pointless experiments, he doesn't think like that at all.

1 hour ago, WALK DMC said:

Tella should be able to feature, he came off after 77 mins on Saturday, he could probably play 70 again and use our subs wisely. 

As long as no injuries in first 60 mins bring on 3 changes to reduce the impact on key / struggling players. 

Weather forecast for torrential rain all game, not sure if that helps us when I think back to the Leicester 0-9 . 

2 hours ago, LiberalCommunist said:

We need to ease KWP back in. We all know that he has become the most integral part of how we set up. We can't rush him back from injury and start grinding him straight away. Give him a week, lets keep him fit for the remaining games. I'm all for heavy rotation in this one. 

Why not play him tomorrow and rest him on Saturday against a poorer team.

1 minute ago, Totton Saint said:

Why not play him tomorrow and rest him on Saturday against a poorer team.

Because we're likely to lose with or without him tomorrow, and the last time he came back  from injury, we played him twice in three days and he got injured again.

• Like 2

Personally, I would want out strongest team available against Brighton as we are more likely to get points in that game and because it is a more significant game in that we don't want to lose to them and let them close the gap. So, if anyone is being nursed back to fitness then I'd leave them out against Man City rather than the other way around, giving them a decent 7-day gap since their last match.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Totton Saint said:

I think we should try and get a point or three in the bank tomorrow. No guarantee we will beat Brighton whatever team we play

What have you been smoking?

There's a far better chance of beating a Brighton side who are struggling to score than a Man City side that have lost 3 games all season.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Man City 5-2 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic