Man City 5-2 Saints - Match Thread

LGTL

1 minute ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Absolutely no last ditch defending, no chucking their bodies in the way, no tackles flying in, absolutely zero metal toughness yet again. 

Bunch of fucking fairies that do ok when it doesn’t hurt or matter. 

We do lack any kind of backbone. Or structure. 

• Confused 1

Good in transition and moving through the the lines, but very little punch to it. It hasn't been a 3-1 game, but that's what you get when they have goal scorers in their team and we don't.

It's been positive in places, but also very reminiscent of our powderpuff approach in other games where we just give up goals so easily. I'm not sure Bertrand is pulling up trees at RB, and Salisu is almost certainly not a left back. More square pegs just to make up for a lack of squad, hopefully we sort that in the summer and we'd have a much better chance of being competitive.

2 minutes ago, Instant Classic said:

How on Earth can he be at fault for that??

Exactly. Ball hits the post (McCarthy may even have got a touch, not sure, but if he did its a brilliant save) and bounces straight out to Gunderwan.  Forster wouldn't have got near it, or the Foden shot for their first. He fucked up for the back pass, which was a poor touch, but not everything he dies is shit. I'm no fan, but blaming him for these goals seems harsh to me.

• Like 1

Classically Saintsy half. Played pretty decently. Didn't do anything with our good spells, then the opposition score and lead without getting out of first gear.

City have only had four attacks. Two of them handed on a plate by Adams and McCarthy (should've been a penalty). Four attacks, three goals.

Hopefully City will stay in strolling mode and the score won't get too out of hand.

Just now, northam soul said:

Be interesting to see the running stats for our midfield, from what I’ve seen Stephens has just ambled around.

We started well but couldn’t create in the final third then the inevuhappens

He started ok with the quick give and go's, but hasn't really moved around. He's been quite static in that central area (maybe that's all he's been told to do).

JWP, as usual, is absolutely everywhere. Non-human that kid.

• Like 1

Just now, Mr X said:

The replay shows the mcarthy  incident was actually a penalty definite contact 

I actually thought the halftime replays showed Foden kicking it and then a very sudden change in direction from the ball afterwards meaning McCarthy did make contact with it.

Just now, Mr X said:

The replay shows the mcarthy  incident was actually a penalty definite contact 

That was never in question.

It's the slightest touch on the ball that's saved him.

You can see there's a slight change in angle of the ball from it.

Just now, Avenue_Saint said:

Playing well but strange picks all over the park.

why did he bring McCarthy back in???

Who knows, I don't think it would make a difference either way tbh. Both a fairly average GK's.

The one big error he made wasn't punished, thankfully.

I’m surprised VAR never told Moss to go to the pitchside monitor too. 
I think it is a pen and he may have overturned it.
The luck would have been better used in a 6 pointer against teams around us!

Edited by nta786
  • Like 1

Still not sure on the foden tackle to be honest whether Mccarthy makes contact with the ball. Probably one of those ones where if the ref gives it it wouldn't have been overturned but equally not enough evidence the other way round.

The mixture of the rebounds falling perfectly to them/our defenders not reactting quickly enough was very frustrating after mccarthy pulled off two very good saves.

5 minutes ago, DT said:

We do lack any kind of backbone. Or structure. 

We do.  Physically we are weak, as the third goal showed.  Mentally,  as you will probably see in the second half we are shot to peices.

3 minutes ago, nta786 said:

I’m surprised VAR never told Moss to go to the pitchside monitor too. 
I think it is a pen and he may have overturned it.
The luck would have been better used in a 6 pointer against teams around us!

VAR looked at it and said no. Sky commentator doesn't think McCarthy touched Foden. Let it go.

11 minutes ago, JRM said:

Ralph is just using this game to experiment and try out a few things in case needed this season, Bertrand out of position a few times at right back, Stephens in the middle. 

McCarthy all over the place, should have been a pen to City and a sending off. 

Would have been a yellow because he tried to play the ball. 

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

You'd be the first one frothing at the mouth had we played our first team, lost anyway, had injuries and were depleted for Brighton.

So pipe down.

Who are you telling to pipe down? It's a forum! A place for people share opinions, not be told what to do by you!

A manger should set out to try and win every game. I don't subscribe to this resting players so that they don't get injured. Injuries are part of the game. We might have fielded a full strength team and won tonight, without any injuries. Then we wouldn't be pinning everything on beating Brighton at the weekend. Something that there's absolutely no guarantee of at all. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Man City 5-2 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic