Man City 5-2 Saints - Match Thread

LGTL

2 minutes ago, SKD said:

Given the side we put out, 5-2 isn’t a bad result for us (still 10 minutes to go). 

ultimately, if we don’t win on Saturday it’ll be for nothing. But I think given the injuries we’ve had, the right decision. 

We’re not going to win on Saturday or lose either for that matter......

2 minutes ago, SKD said:

Which is exactly why Ralph didn’t play him tonight. He got it spot on. 

I have to agree.  No matter how much this result not being good.  It was obvious he is saving something for the weekend.  Lets hope we win

Just now, AlexLaw76 said:

I have to agree.  No matter how much this result not being good.  It was obvious he is saving something for the weekend.  Lets hope we win

Given tonight's performance if we don't win at the weekend will tonight have been a mistake? 

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

Given tonight's performance if we don't win at the weekend will tonight have been a mistake? 

Impossible to answer. Had KWP or Diallo played and pulled their hamstring, everyone would slag Ralph off. 

Edited by SKD
  • Like 2

Just now, Heisenberg said:

This place hasn’t changed. Saints “fans” that celebrate a 5-2 humping as it could’ve been worse. 

Mentality midgets on and off the pitch

After the run we've been on we need to take the positives wherever we can. It's not a quick turnaround when you've been as shit as we have.

We’ve been a much better side since Diallo came on, and I think Ralph was right to rest key players for either the first half or second half of the game.

Given our injuries and important games coming up I’d take what is essentially a 3-0 defeat to City.

• Like 3

• Lighthouse changed the title to Man City 5-2 Saints - Match Thread
Just now, Dangerspoon said:

We’ve been a much better side since Diallo came on, and I think Ralph was right to rest key players for either the first half or second half of the game.

Given our injuries and important games coming up I’d take what is essentially a 3-0 defeat to City.

This is very true. I think maybe coincided with City (or Citeh LOL) taking their foot off the gas. Anyway, relieved to get out of there with only a 3 goal losing margin.

Decent performance.

Too many square pegs in round holes though, which cost us chance to really push for a shock result.

Stephens and salisu badly shown up out  of position in 2nd half.

Good to see Adams looking confident in front of goal,Tella and diallo  looked bright from the bench.

Hopefully resting key players will pay off in big game at the weekend

We were exponentially better when Stephens got subbed for Diallo, looked a lot more solid.

Tella is a talent. Wasn't he the player Barcelona were rumoured to want from our academy a few years back?

He looks like he could be something.

Early doors I thought this was going to be a pegging, but we actually held our own in the 2nd half.

We'll beat Brighton. imo.

Just now, Dangerspoon said:

Yep. Me too. Trouble with this resting policy is it does put an awful lot of pressure on the next one. But hey. Positives - Vestergard, JWP, Diallo, and Redmond in places. Amazingly. Bad - McCarthy, Salisu, Djenepo, Bertrand. We so need KWP and Diallo in the side. And Forster back at the weekend please. That final ten to fifteen minutes is certainly something to build on though. So not all bad. 

Sorry but I just can't find any positives in a 5-2 defeat. Too many mistakes in defence and poor in the final third again. Ok, pretty passing triangles in midfield but they too often peter out on the edge of the penalty area.

Now need to get something from the game on Sunday.

Really encouraging start, till they scored. But glad to come through that without any issues for the Brighton game. Moussa wouldn't have started anyway. 

Glad to see we can shift 3 or four from the starting line up. I reckon we are going to be well fired up. 

City are just different class, no shame in losing to them. 

1 minute ago, JustinSFC said:

We were exponentially better when Stephens got subbed for Diallo, looked a lot more solid.

Tella is a talent. Wasn't he the player Barcelona were rumoured to want from our academy a few years back?

He looks like he could be something.

Early doors I thought this was going to be a pegging, but we actually held our own in the 2nd half.

We'll beat Brighton. imo.

Who’d have thought playing players in their actual positions would improve us aye! 

• Like 1

Losing is always disappointing, but what did people actually expect when playing the best team in the league.  A makeshift side with players playing out of position, and notable injuries.  Played well at times but made some schoolboy errors.