European League

whelk

Just now, Disco Stu said:

Regardless if the super league is cancelled, measures now need to be implemented to ensure this can NEVER happen again.

Joining a non UEFA sponsored competition results in immediate suspension from all current UEFA supported leagues and cups..

Just now, bangkoksaint said:

Fans won’t be back properly in stadia for probably at least a year. There’s clubs are massively in debt as they’ve over extended themselves.............just a case of which one goes pop first.

Not just the fans - no commercial income from concerts, exhibitions, or conferences.

9 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

Fair play.

Didn't think Maguire had it in him tbh

Maguire was on the terraces supporting Sheffield United away at Burton when they were in league one with his childhood pals, he probably gets the fans as he was one. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bangkoksaint said:

Fans won’t be back properly in stadia for probably at least a year. There’s clubs are massively in debt as they’ve over extended themselves.............just a case of which one goes pop first.

That is their fault (like it is ours for buying crap and loaning them out/letting them go for free).

Spurs didn't have to sign Bale and pay him £300k a week to sit on the bench.  United do not have to keep Pogba (on his probable ridiculous salary), who has been largely awful and Chelsea/City don't have to buy everyone.

12 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Got to laugh at the clubs hanging on.  Arsenal, Spurs for example. They have absolutely no place in a european super league anyway!

Comment on the BBC saying it's a shame that journalists won't get to ask Arteta why he thinks Arsenal qualify as one of the 'Super' clubs.

12 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Joining a non UEFA sponsored competition results in immediate suspension from all current UEFA supported leagues and cups..

I support the 50+1 rule. This decision making behind the fans backs must stop.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I support the 50+1 rule. This decision making behind the fans backs must stop.

But how do you get from, for instance, Gao holding 80% to he and Kat between them only holding 49% ?

Edited by badgerx16

18 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Regardless if the super league is cancelled, measures now need to be implemented to ensure this can NEVER happen again.

I literally just said he same thing to my mate. Now is the time to start changing the rules on ownership, fit and proper etc and avoid cartel ownership from here on

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

How did the Germans do it?

"Historically, German teams were not-for-profit organisations run by members’ associations, and until 1998 private ownership of any kind was prohibited. The 50+1 rule, which was introduced that year, helps explain why debts and wages are under control and why ticket prices remain so low compared to other major leagues in Europe."

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/news/Bundesliga/german-soccer-rules-50-1-fifty-plus-one-explained-466583.jsp

1 minute ago, badgerx16 said:

"Historically, German teams were not-for-profit organisations run by members’ associations, and until 1998 private ownership of any kind was prohibited. The 50+1 rule, which was introduced that year, helps explain why debts and wages are under control and why ticket prices remain so low compared to other major leagues in Europe."

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/news/Bundesliga/german-soccer-rules-50-1-fifty-plus-one-explained-466583.jsp

I guess it would be impossible for the premier league to enforce it but I imagine given the government were threatening it, it's doable but perhaps only through legislation.

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Oh yeah for sure, non-entity faces running these clubs. All this has shown up is their total lack of understanding of 'football - not soccer. This is a fan sport and they thought it was a media show pony. Wrong.

There'll be back with a less offensive version soon. Something along the lines of 2 European groups of 8 teams playing each other twice a year with one up and one down from the league above/below, with the initial starting positions being decided by wealth, number of trophies won historically and/or general historical prowess will probably do it (whichever fits best to engineer it to their satisfaction). All the big teams get to play each other twice a season regularly and hoard all the cash with just that little bit of jeopardy thrown in. I guess Arsenal and Tottenham will have to start in div 2 though!

Edited by stknowle

21 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

But how do you get from, for instance, Gao holding 80% to he and Kat between them only holding 49% ?

They just sell shares of 51% of the club.

actually I bet Gao wished he thought of that before to get some of his money back!

Edited by Pedantic Pete

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

sXuQevj.jpg

Reckon this is a possibility. All these big power owners pulling away their purse strings and stopping any of these clubs buying players. Could go that way.

At least we might keep Ings now.

That's just mental...Well don't spend 70m on a centre back and don't pay 150k per week then it would be sustainable. 

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

sXuQevj.jpg

Reckon this is a possibility. All these big power owners pulling away their purse strings and stopping any of these clubs buying players. Could go that way.

Seems odd but welcome.

Seriously lads, no one is forcing you to own English football clubs. Bugger off.

A full scale round of deflation of wages and fees would be most welcome.

Just now, CB Fry said:

Seems odd but welcome.

Seriously lads, no one is forcing you to own English football clubs. Bugger off.

A full scale round of deflation of wages and fees would be most welcome.

Absolutely, if anything positive comes from this it would be that.

Just now, badgerx16 said:

Can the FA compel owners to do so ? Not sure the Government would want to.

I think its the rule in Germany of the league so there would be nothing to stop the league making a rule that any individual or corporation couldn't own more than 49% of the shares in a club. The issue in that case would be getting the clubs to vote for it.. Turkeys and Christmas comes to mind!

8 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

sXuQevj.jpg

This was coming. The bubble has well and truly burst and I'm glad it has.

32 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

I don't know much about this world so someone correct me. But could they issue a tonne more shares of the club, distributed to fans, to dilute the existing holders to 49%

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sydney_saint said:

I don't know much about this world so someone correct me. But could they issue a tonne more shares of the club, distributed to fans, to dilute the existing holders to 49%

The Company would have to issue the shares, and in the case of Saints it would have to be 102% of the number currently in existence. The question again would be, how to compelk them to do so ?

7 minutes ago, Pedantic Pete said:

I think its the rule in Germany of the league so there would be nothing to stop the league making a rule that any individual or corporation couldn't own more than 49% of the shares in a club. The issue in that case would be getting the clubs to vote for it.. Turkeys and Christmas comes to mind!

But it was the rule from the start of private ownership in Germany, ( see post above ).

16 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

sXuQevj.jpg

Having to cope with large squads filled with multi million pound players and the best youth prospects in the league. How will the poor little darlings manage.

1 minute ago, Baird of the land said:

Having to cope with large squads filled with multi million pound players and the best youth prospects in the league. How will the poor little darlings manage.

Maybe Chelsea will have to refrain from loaning out 350 players every season now.

14 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Can the FA compel owners to do so ? Not sure the Government would want to.

Can’t see it, particularly a Tory one. Forget football, forcing private companies to dilute their shareholding and also give over control of the company  sets a precedent they won’t want to set. Will frighten investors in all types of industry. You can’t put the genie back in the bottle, however much you want to. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

But it was the rule from the start of private ownership in Germany, ( see post above ).

True but there is no reason you couldn't agree it now in any league. However don't forget Man Utd already was floated a few years back, I think the owners have around 70% but I wonder how or if it would be different it if they owned only 49%? Surely there must be something else to the model.

1 hour ago, revolution saint said:

I would piss myself laughing if UEFA ban them all from European football next season 🤣🤣🤣

That would be a fantastic statement of intent .............fuck us off and you know what you aint getting in this year folks.........brilliant idea,but strong safeguards now need to be implemented and these foreign owners need to realise it aint football so fucking leave it.

The German model would obviously be near on impossible to implement here but the issue of club ownership needs to b3 addressed and safeguarding against this sort of thing every happening again put in place.

The six scum bag clubs should now face punishment from UEFA and/or the FA.