European League

whelk

5 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

easiest thing is hitting the club with financial penalty and points deductions but those hurt the wrong people, the fans and the players. 

Funnily enough a lot of the fans thought the clubs should be hit with some sort of penalty for this. So many were pissed off.

43 minutes ago, jasonb said:

The government will do nothing as I said a few pages back. They simply saw the reaction and universal uproar as an opportunity to be seen to care. Business as usual now its all collapsed. 50%+1 fan ownership goes against everything for a right-wing, free markets capitalist doctrine. 

All that has happened here is that the oil men have gained even more power over UEFA. The likes of Liverpool and Man United saw this as an opportunity to control those oil men. It failed. You might even consider that Chelsea and Man City played a blinder in all of this. They've even managed to come out of this, from a PR perspective, very well it seems. 

I agree that they won't do anything, Boris is just a virtue signaler.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Funnily enough a lot of the fans thought the clubs should be hit with some sort of penalty for this. So many were pissed off.

They were. A mate of mine has been a City season ticket holder for 45 years. I've never known him to be so angry. Want them relegated to non-league!! Doesnt meant it is the most suitable punishment but I would enjoy it!!!!

Bobby robson - “What is a club in any case? Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it. It’s not the television contracts, get-out clauses, marketing departments or executive boxes. It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city. It’s a small boy clambering up stadium steps for the very first time, gripping his father’s hand, gawping at that hallowed stretch of turf beneath him and, without being able to do a thing about it, falling in love.”

• Like 1

In 2024, two #UCL places will be given to the clubs with the HIGHEST club coefficient that weren't able to qualify to the #UCL through their domestic leagues.  For example, if a club like Manchester United ends up ranked 6th in the Premier League, they would still qualify.

Furthermore, if, for example, a club like West Ham ends up 5th in the Premier League, and Manchester United ends up 6th, West Ham would qualify for the Europa League and Manchester United would qualify for the Champions League.

With an additional £5bn private equity investment...so it sounds ever so similar to the super league! Shambles

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/0268-12157d69ce2d-9f011c70f6fa-1000--new-champions-league-format-explained/?utm_campaign=ucl-editorial-ongoin&utm_content=_&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Edited by Saint Garrett

I had a long day yesterday away from our general chit chat on the subject - but being in the car obviously heard general hoo-ha on the radio.

The one thing that stuck out was the president of Real Madrid spouting forth that the youth are less interested in football due to boring games etc. My instant thought was “well in Spain thats of your own doing” - pretty certain that Real Madrid and Barcelona take 55% of the TV money divi up and the rest of La Liga have to make do with the remains, so everyone else is conveniently set up as cannon fodder for the big 2. The weird bit is that unlike here, where your team is your team - there you support your team “AND” one of the big two. By hoovering up most of the TV money La Liga is a bit like Scottish annual 2 horse race, except there are a handful of tougher teams in Spain to spice the pot a little. 

The 6 of them here need a slap from the PL but that ain’t going to happen as they already have the whip hand.

All of these apologies from these owners are audacious.

The brass fucking gall.

The mass media are still running with the narrative this was all the fans doing.

They didn't give a shit about the fans and would have pressed ahead with it had it not been the very real threat of being thrown out of the CL, Premier League and Johnson's warning.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

The brass fucking gall.

The mass media are still running with the narrative this was all the fans doing.

They didn't give a shit about the fans and would have pressed ahead with it had it not been the very real threat of being thrown out of the CL, Premier League and Johnson's warning.

John W Henry mentions "your club" several times, but never mentions "our club".

From the BBC;

Players from nine La Liga clubs will wear shirts opposing the Super League concept and backing the Champions League when they warm up ahead of their matches this midweek.

Following the lead of Premier League pair Leeds and Brighton, BBC Sport understands Valencia, Cadiz, Osasuna, Villarreal, Alaves, Sevilla, Levante, Athletic Bilbao and Real Betis will wear a specially-designed training top, or a version of it, which states ‘Champions League – earn it’ in England and Spanish.

In addition, there will be messaging displayed on LED boards, on in-stadium screens and virtualised stands as La Liga aim to get their point across.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JustinSFC said:

The brass fucking gall.

I see you are still peddling this bollocks. Why the fuck do you think Boris got involved? 

7 minutes ago, whelk said:

I see you are still peddling this bollocks. Why the fuck do you think Boris got involved? 

Will you fuck off quoting me.

If you think Johnson got involved "for the fans" when he's probably never put foot in a stadium in his life, and not for any other reason, then I'll pat you on the head and say you believe whatever you want to believe poppet.

Edited by JustinSFC

2 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

In 2024, two #UCL places will be given to the clubs with the HIGHEST club coefficient that weren't able to qualify to the #UCL through their domestic leagues.  For example, if a club like Manchester United ends up ranked 6th in the Premier League, they would still qualify.

Furthermore, if, for example, a club like West Ham ends up 5th in the Premier League, and Manchester United ends up 6th, West Ham would qualify for the Europa League and Manchester United would qualify for the Champions League.

With an additional £5bn private equity investment...so it sounds ever so similar to the super league! Shambles

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/0268-12157d69ce2d-9f011c70f6fa-1000--new-champions-league-format-explained/?utm_campaign=ucl-editorial-ongoin&utm_content=_&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

No, according to THIS they would both qualify but we would have less Europa/Conference places.

Does this guarantee more English teams in the Champions League?

It does not guarantee it, but it means there is a possibility six English clubs could play in the tournament.

Qualification for the expanded Champions League could be earned by clubs finishing outside the Premier League’s top four based on the UEFA coefficient, which measures historical performance.

UEFA’s expansion plans means the Premier League would be given seven places in Europe: four in the Champions League, two in the Europa League and one in the new UEFA Europa Conference League. Two of the three teams finishing fifth, sixth and seventh could then be upgraded to the Champions League by virtue of their coefficient.

It would have meant that Tottenham Hotspur, who finished sixth in the 2019-20 Premier League, would have qualified for this season’s Champions League, for example.

20 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

The climbdown is the punishment and that's that.

Hope they do receive some kind of punishment but to be fair they've provided us with more entertainment in 2 days than the rest of the season put together

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

If you think Johnson got involved "for the fans" when he's probably never put foot in a stadium in his life, and not for any other reason, then I'll pat you on the head and say you believe whatever you want to believe poppet.

I will do what I like sunshine. You are clearly a bit dense and get your info outside the ‘mass’ media as it probably makes you feel a little smarter than the ordinary guy but you are not sorry. 
And keep posting you fucking nonsense because you presumably want a response.
Thick twat

Edited by whelk

16 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

The reason the clubs took the threat from Boris Johnson seriously is that they knew he'd have the full backing of the fans.

That would have given him a lot of leeway in terms of bringing in legislation, it would have been a massive vote winner for him.

As for never stepping foot inside a stadium...

6 minutes ago, whelk said:

I will do what I like sunshine. You are clearly a bit dense and get your info outside the ‘mass’ media as it probably makes you feel a little smarter than the ordinary guy but you are not sorry. 
And keep posting you fucking nonsense because you presumably want a response.
Thick twat

You're another one who shoots his mouth off in complete anonymity when in reality I reckon you're about 5ft, 50+ and look something like the Wealdstone Raider.

Was it you who put the banner up across Millbrook flyover in a demonstration of this "fan power".

But you carry on fella.

48 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

The climbdown is the punishment and that's that.

I don't expect UEFA/PL to suddenly grow a pair and mete out any meaningful punishment, but maybe they could come up with some sort of 'suspended sentence' to prevent this happening every season. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

You're another one who shoots his mouth off in complete anonymity when in reality I reckon you're about 5ft, 50+ and look something like the Wealdstone Raider.

Was it you who put the banner up across Millbrook flyover in a demonstration of this "fan power".

But you carry on fella.

Ahh bless unlike all the non anonymous dickheads on here eh Justin. Ohh and I better append the club I support to my name so everyone knows. Good omission of your year of birth.
Excellent profiling of me as well new-boy. Is that someone you might be able to feel superior to perchance? 

39 minutes ago, whelk said:

Ahh bless unlike all the non anonymous dickheads on here eh Justin. Ohh and I better append the club I support to my name so everyone knows. Good omission of your year of birth.
Excellent profiling of me as well new-boy. Is that someone you might be able to feel superior to perchance? 

Well here's what I'll say to that.

On the 21st May I'll be at AFC Totton for ex saints Vs Totton.

I look exactly as I do in this picture taken about November, so you can say all of that to my face.

But anyway, I'm here to talk about football, not almost constantly 'butting heads' with helmets like you constantly looking for an argument or sniping at someone.

Get laid.

45 minutes ago, Gru said:

I don't expect UEFA/PL to suddenly grow a pair and mete out any meaningful punishment, but maybe they could come up with some sort of 'suspended sentence' to prevent this happening every season. 

The only thing they’ll come up with is a revamp of the champions league more in line with what the SL clubs want. If anyone thinks this will lead to any sort of rolling back of their position theyre deluded. It’s a tactical retreat, but it ain’t going away. Next time they’ll take UEFA or FIFA plus the broadcasters with them. 

4 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

I look exactly as I do in this picture taken about November, so you can say all of that to my face.

But anyway, I'm here to talk about football, not almost constantly 'butting heads' with helmets like you constantly looking for an argument or sniping at someone.

Get laid.

Bless. I think you are over estimating how significant your posts are to me. Delusional plum

And stop quoting me

Edited by whelk

9 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

The only thing they’ll come up with is a revamp of the champions league more in line with what the SL clubs want. If anyone thinks this will lead to any sort of rolling back of their position theyre deluded. It’s a tactical retreat, but it ain’t going away. Next time they’ll take UEFA or FIFA plus the broadcasters with them. 

Sadly, I think you're right. My hope was that UEFA/PL could delay the inevitable.

13 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

They always revamp the Champions League/European Cup, and the big clubs always have more of a say and more of the money - there will never be a chance in hell of this closed shop, no relegation bollocks happening, that is obvious.

1 hour ago, JustinSFC said:

Get laid.

Quick question, are you the one on the left or on the right?

Regarding these teams being punished, the thing that irritates me is comments like the one Souness made and plenty of others in the media have made since that these teams should not face sanctions as it would not be fair on the players and fans as they would be the ones being punished despite it not being their fault.

That may be true but I think that is irrelevant.  There are plenty of teams including Saints who have had points deductions for going into administration through financial mismanagement of owners or certain board members.  Therefore, the players of those teams and the fans have been punished through no fault of their own so why is this any different.  The principle is pretty much the same thing and these six clubs have dragged the name of football through the mud in a way none of the other clubs have even through their financial issues.

I'm sure someone will correct me on here but when Saints were deducted 12 points, I am pretty sure that we were told we would be given minus twelve in the Championship that season if we stayed up but if we went down (as we did), we would then start the following season in league one with minus 12 points (which we did).

Personally, I think they have to face some sort of sanctions in line with fairness and to show that it is not one rule for the "elite" clubs and another for the rest of us.  Basically, the fair punishment for these clubs would be a 12 point deduction from the start of next season and/or a one or even two year ban from Europe.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jimmy_D said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/04/21/future-premier-league-tv-deals-could-contain-legal-clauses-prevent/

The last few days may well have been the last chance of a breakaway ESL ever being anything like realistic.

You'd think there probably was already some kind of clause in the current agreement anyway, and the rules of the Premier League already had direction that clubs can only participate in specific competitions (ie League Cup, Europa League). So would been a legal tussle anyway.

But I guess the point stands: Amazon and Sky won't be taking any more of this shit.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

I hope this isn't true but I wouldn't be shocked if it was:

The only source I've seen for that so far is one of the Barca mouthpiece papers.

Interested to find out if it's actually true, but at the moment I'm leaning more towards doubting it.

10 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

The only source I've seen for that so far is one of the Barca mouthpiece papers.

Interested to find out if it's actually true, but at the moment I'm leaning more towards doubting it.

I hope its bollocks but it wouldn't surprise me if its true.

19 hours ago, aintforever said:

They always revamp the Champions League/European Cup, and the big clubs always have more of a say and more of the money - there will never be a chance in hell of this closed shop, no relegation bollocks happening, that is obvious.

The latest revamp due 2024 does include more money for the big teams plus additional teams possibly from further down the league decided by some formula . This could mean a team finishing 7th being included over a team finishing 5th in the league ! Some countries will still have to go through qualifiying stages  as now .

Uefa etc have had commitee members from the 12 rebel clubs resign .The new members are from PSG for example  so not a change for the better really if a club held at arms length is now helping the decision making .

I can't see that the smaller countries/clubs will be any better off or have a fairer chance of progress now the 12 have stepped back . There is said to be a financial penalty in the ESL agreement for teams that leave so Real will be still in !

Today they are saying they will look at the 2024 revamp again to remove increase to top clubs , we shall see.

Edited by East Kent Saint

6 hours ago, Turkish said:

Their solution to people complaining about a non-merit based european super league is a non merit based british super league. Quel surprise.

Thankfully i can't see others clubs voting for the nonsense league size reduction(just so the little darlings can fit in more european games for themselves and friendlies in asia)  or brining in two rivals from a neighbouring league.