Spurs 2-1 Saints - Game thread

AlexLaw76

13 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

Yep better than the clueless cunt Ralph ... made a mess of saints.. absolute joke of a manager !! 

We're we fucking pretty shite before he came? We have basically gone to the heights and back down again. 

• Like 2

O

44 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Nothing will change for next season, giving where we have been told we are going to doo our recruiting.

The prognosis for next season is very very bleak. We have amassed less points than Sheffield Utd this calendar year. Sheffield fucking Utd. We are virtually guaranteed to be losing our only attacker with genuine class. Almost certain our best CB is going too, and we will be shopping in the bargain bin for replacements. These are not grounds for optimism.

Edited by stknowle
  • Sad 2

A few things.

it’s going well and then he brings on the usual shit that makes us clueless again.

Why has nobody kicked Son 20 feet in the air so he misses the cup final. We are too nice. I remember one of there players are down and we went on a break and then turned it back and put it out. Fucking hell you pansies it’s one of there’s not ours?

Ive never seen two strikers unmarked in a penalty area like Spurs had. They almost got in each other’s way trying to score. 

That offside goal they had, none of ours protested. It’s like they accept that it was a block on McCarthy. Remember the Keanes and Viera’s  they would of been in the officials face screaming to check it out. We basically walk back to the half way like accepting it. Madness!

Finally how long can this crap go on. Ralph has lost it big time, the players don’t have a clue what to do anymore. What are we waiting for another 6 defeats? Even then I reckon he’s safe!

38 minutes ago, Killers Knee said:

Assuming we sell Ings & Vestergaard only players I would welcome back next season are: Forster, Bednarek, JWP, Armstrong & Adams.  The others are too weak both physically and mentally.

I'm amazed you include Bednarek in that group.

He is mentally one of the weakest of the lot, a rabbit in the headlights and would be one of the first out the door for me.

18 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Nice to see the belief that Fulham are just one more match away from going on an unstoppable winning run has still not died. Jesus wept.

I just said ‘If’, young man. We’ve had a few great escapes ourself. 3 wins out of five is not really an unstoppable winning run. That would also include possibly two defeats.

Edited by wadesmith
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

There’s absolutely no point in debating you, you’re as one eyed as the come. Never ever accept decisions that go against us. If you really think Djenepo was fouled I fear for your sanity. 

So you can’t answer but resort to personal attacks. Might I suggest that you read what I wrote? Let’s try again,

Where did the ‘foul’ occur? In other words, in this instance where was the point of contact?

And don’t try and say that you can tell that from the TV shots because nobody can.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wadesmith said:

I just said ‘If’, young man. We’ve had a few great escapes ourself. 3 wins out of six is not really an unstoppable winning run. That would also include possibly three defeats.

Except Fulham have only got 5 games left.

• Like 2

1 0 up with 30 mins to go. Team  is tiring, Spurs are stirring.

You have to make a substitution for Ings. Surely that is time to pack the midfield and go one up front.

But no Tella who had supported Salisu is moved up front. Last time he touches the ball.

What happened next?

Answers on a postcard. Clue it involved Bale.

Very frustrating

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wadesmith said:

I just said ‘If’, young man. We’ve had a few great escapes ourself. 3 wins out of six is not really an unstoppable winning run. That would also include possibly three defeats.

Fulham only have five games left. Provided they don’t win three of them we ought to be ok. But if we don’t pick up any more points they should all be shot like lame horses.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Nice to see the belief that Fulham are just one more match away from going on an unstoppable winning run has still not died. Jesus wept.

They need 9 points from 5 games to pass us, assuming we get 0. This is not out of the question, no matter how much Jesus weeps. Especially as one of the games is against us. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Since Jan 1st we have been far and away the worst team in the division.

I think we're desperately missing Romeu. 

I know our form wasn't great before his injury, but he's one of the best tacklers in the league and nobody has filled his very big boots since then.

10 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Why has nobody kicked Son 20 feet in the air so he misses the cup final. We are too nice. I remember one of there players are down and we went on a break and then turned it back and put it out. Fucking hell you pansies it’s one of there’s not ours?

Ive never seen two strikers unmarked in a penalty area like Spurs had. They almost got in each other’s way trying to score. 

That offside goal they had, none of ours protested. It’s like they accept that it was a block on McCarthy. Remember the Keanes and Viera’s  they would of been in the officials face screaming to check it out. We basically walk back to the half way like accepting it. Madness!

Agreed!

Do you remember when JWP scuffed the penalty mark in the Iceland away game at the start of the season which they ended up missing?

I think JWP came out and said ‘sometimes in football it is also important to master the dark arts to win games!’ as if he had turned football into a Hogwarts lesson. 

What has happened to that? Now we seem to be as gentle as a lamb!!!

36 minutes ago, Micky said:

I know.  I don't think we will go down either to be honest,  but it wouldn't bother me one iota if we did.  After the total capitulation that this season has become,  who knows, we may win some games in the championship and at least lose some of the embarrassing displays and statistics that have become synonymous with SFC.

I'd not be  upset if we went down, get away from the big greedy 6 and away from fucking VAR. 

As for the game today, thought we were excellent at times in the first half and should have scored more. 

Utterly depressing how many points we drop from winning positions, same old Saints. 

We've been rock bottom of the league based on last 20 games, that's horrific run of form, not sure how Ralph comes back from that with likely defeats to Leicester and Liverpool up next. 

19 minutes ago, Chez said:

We're we fucking pretty shite before he came? We have basically gone to the heights and back down again. 

He’s the victim of his own success by somehow making us look good for about 8 months or so. People’s expectations of this squad too high when we are just a crap team tbh

Edited by Nemi
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, DT said:

They need 9 points from 5 games to pass us, assuming we get 0. This is not out of the question, no matter how much Jesus weeps. Especially as one of the games is against us. 

Except if we'd been on a run of one win in eight, four defeats in the last five and three pissing goals in eight games there is no fucking way you'd be predicting us to get nine points from five matches.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

That was a game which summed up our season and demonstrated the two sides of this team.

1st half, high press, counter pressing, quick movement in the final third and just too quick for Spurs in thought and play. We were fitter, stronger, more energy. We just had too much, everything was positive and things were going well, players looked 20ft taller than the opposition - nothing bad happening to derail us and we had it all our own way. The reality is that during those phases we need to capitalise and score as many goals as we can at full throttle.

2nd half, as you can almost guarantee, the opposition will improve. They pushed up higher and on top of that you could visibly see our team getting sapped of energy, physically and more worryingly mentally. Bit by bit you saw our energy draining, it was like a computer game really - you see the players on green and full health at the start, and by probably 50mins we were all on a tiny red line.

In those situations you rely on 2 things to get you over the line. 1) The substitutes to be the right ones, and to impact the game and replace that energy and 2) Leaders who galvanise the group and pull us through the periods of dips, but sadly that didn't happen and never does happen. Diallo ruined our midfield and just didn't get up to the game at all. Moussa, well, what more can you say. Had enough of him. All legs and absolutely nothing else. As has been said many a time, when the going gets tough they all shrink by 10 ft and pass responsibility to each other. That might sound harsh, but it's what I've seen for years with this group.

On the good points, Tella - excellent, full of energy in the first half, lots of positive running - Redmond and Moussa could learn a lot from him. Ings and Adams movement and link up was as good as it's been for a while, so that was a positive. Armstrong in the middle was outstanding, driving forward and gobbling up the space Spurs were leaving. Sadly he only seems to have around 40mins in him.

Same old story really. Shit squad depth that is absolutely out on it's arses fitness wise, and a severe lack of mental toughness. End this season now please, we all need a total reset and we need to work out what the fuck is up with our fitness levels - and squad depth. 

So why couldnt they show that same 1st half intensity for the semi final?...Adams and Ings from the start  blue line move on to other points.And Leicester at the weekend what teams going to turn up there i wonder?............ Jankewitz please for JWP or Diallo or Djenepo please just try something bloody different and get 3 more points

Just now, jasonb said:

We are going down if these players are still here. 

I think we're closer to RH walking than we are to sacking him. 

I don't think Saints are in a position to pay up his contract. On the flip side, RH must now realise the project is finished because of the economic climate and his stock is falling fast. 

Saints we're briefly top of the league af the leaves were falling off the trees. Ralf was being talked up as Ole's replacement. 

Funny old game...

How many premiereship managers do you know who have walked away from their jobs?  No chance he will go off his own volition.  I was listening to talk sport today and they said that we had a ten million pounds buyout clause in his contract if anybody came in for him....!

1 minute ago, CB Fry said:

Except if we'd been on a run of one win in eight, four defeats in the last five and three pissing goals in eight games there is no fucking way you'd be predicting us to get nine points from five matches.

Out of Fulham and us I know which I’d bet on to take more points from now to the end of the season. Sadly. Anyway, super strong swearing. Well done. Wept etc

17 minutes ago, macca155 said:

1 0 up with 30 mins to go. Team  is tiring, Spurs are stirring.

You have to make a substitution for Ings. Surely that is time to pack the midfield and go one up front.

But no Tella who had supported Salisu is moved up front. Last time he touches the ball.

What happened next?

Answers on a postcard. Clue it involved Bale.

Very frustrating

This. Also Armstrong was doing well in the middle and he got moved about.

Ralph fucked it up with his subs.

• Like 3

Just now, JRM said:

If Ings is hamstring again we might  not see him again this season either. 

Good point, in the whole reaction I forgot he got injured.

Great. He's had an absolute season to forget hasn't he.  I think he'd be foolish not to take up the contract offer here to be honest.

10 minutes ago, Micky said:

How many premiereship managers do you know who have walked away from their jobs?  No chance he will go off his own volition.  I was listening to talk sport today and they said that we had a ten million pounds buyout clause in his contract if anybody came in for him....!

I think it might be 20 mill buyout.

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

Great. He's had an absolute season to forget hasn't he.  I think he'd be foolish not to take up the contract offer here to be honest.

Can still see him going to West Ham or Leicester. We will probably look at Josh King as a replacement

11 minutes ago, DT said:

Out of Fulham and us I know which I’d bet on to take more points from now to the end of the season. Sadly. Anyway, super strong swearing. Well done. Wept etc

You're worried we're in a relegation battle but the team you would want to swap places with is the team in 18th place with five games left who haven't won since early March.

None too bright, are you sweetheart?

• Sad 3

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

It's sad really, back in the autumn we were flying, dreaming of a European place, playing great football, winning on the road regularly, local lad hero 'king of the scummers ' leading the charge, scoring for England with a chance of playing in the Euros, first hero for the kids since Lambert really. 

Since then it's fallen apart, he clearly wanted out, Saints have been shite for months, Ings injury record back to being poor, he'll leave but for petty cash, all very depressing state of affairs. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Nemi said:

He’s the victim of his own success by somehow making us look good for about 8 months or so. People’s expectations of this squad too high when we are just a crap team tbh

We were in a very similar position last March, after a naff defeat at home to Newcastle, when the season was called off. Our mentally feeble players, who I think had lost all but four games in front of their own fans, suddenly found a new breath of confidence, playing in empty stadiums with absolutely nothing at steak. That confidence spilled over into this season until eventually wearing off in November and we’ve reverted to our post Koeman default.

Christ knows how they’ll react when we get fans back in St Mary’s.

6 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

You're worried we're in a relegation battle but the team you would want to swap places with is the team in 18th place with five games left who haven't won since early March.

None too bright, are you sweetheart?

Did I say I wanted to swap places? I did not. ‘Sweetheart’. ‘Jesus wept etc etc’. Yawn. I mean, maybe try a bit harder with your ‘brain’. 

15 minutes ago, Saint Billy said:

I think it might be 20 mill buyout.

Yeah, my bad, you could well be right.  I knew they said some obscene figure,  just hope we can find somebody daft enough to pay it. 

3 minutes ago, JRM said:

It's sad really, back in the autumn we were flying, dreaming of a European place, playing great football, winning on the road regularly, local lad hero 'king of the scummers ' leading the charge, scoring for England with a chance of playing in the Euros, first hero for the kids since Lambert really. 

Since then it's fallen apart, he clearly wanted out, Saints have been shite for months, Ings injury record back to being poor, he'll leave but for petty cash, all very depressing state of affairs. 

Yeah, it's all a thoroughly depressing state of affairs to be honest. In 2020 this club gave us all some life after a horrible few months being stuck in doors, football was great again and it all gave us something to enjoy and celebrate. Now I just want it all to end.

Who knows what happens next season, but let's be honest this bunch of players have always struggled at this level, that's never changed bar a few purple patches here and there (Ralph is the only manager who has managed to get any sort of purple patch out of them to be fair)….but generally this group have been struggling under different managers for years.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

We were in a very similar position last March, after a naff defeat at home to Newcastle, when the season was called off. Our mentally feeble players, who I think had lost all but four games in front of their own fans, suddenly found a new breath of confidence, playing in empty stadiums with absolutely nothing at steak. That confidence spilled over into this season until eventually wearing off in November and we’ve reverted to our post Koeman default.

Well the chips are certainly down now

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, JRM said:

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if somebody came in for JWP just based on his early season performances.  I think we're in danger of losing Ings,  Vestergaard, JWP and maybe Armstrong as well.  It's not really too difficult to shine in amongst a pile of shyte and those four have been our 'standout' performers.  Let's be honest, there's not a lot to keep any of them here after this car crash of a season. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Spurs 2-1 Saints - Game thread
1 minute ago, stknowle said:

If we carry on playing like this when fans are allowed back in SMS we still won’t fillet.

Those of us born and braised in Southampton should get some sort of medaillon for having to put up with this tripe. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, macca155 said:

Went into this game expecting a loss. The first 30 mins gave hope, a lot actually, but inevitably the team collapsed in the 2nd half. 

I thought Salisu looked decent, handled Bale as best he could, but Bale even at 50% is a handful for any defender.

Diallo, Djenepo and Redmond,  deserved to be replaced. Walcott is off his game, and should really have made way for Minimano in the 2nd half.

Playing McCarthy over Forster, was unnecessary.

Tactics are simply no good, the team has to last 90 mins.

Subs were poor but that's all we have.

Should Ralph go? I guess it would depend on whether there is an alternative and new players.

Can't see even our owner putting up with this much longer.

True, but he's still got to find a buyer, and right now, I doubt we're a very attractive option.

Worst thing is, having watched the match and sat here working for a while, I logged on to here half-hoping to read that Ralph had resigned. Has it ever been more apparent that something simply isn't working any more. What's that Einstein quote about insanity being repeatedly doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result??? That's us for the past four months.

Edited by Viking Saint

1 hour ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

Can’t wait for this season to end. I think we all need a break from this rubbish.

I know it’s the same for every club, but we look in desperate need of time out, to reset, and hopefully return to more familiar match day routines (kick off times, fans etc.).

I personally hope we look to rebuild with Ralph still in charge, but I appreciate that view is probably not welcomed.

Such a shame after the promising start, but we appear to have blown our load by trying to run a marathon at 100m speed.

I'd agree with what everyone has said so far But why can't Ralph get the wheels back on? Romeu was fantastic before his injury but surely the whole thing doesn't fall apart when him or Ings, or KWP are injured.