Spurs 2-1 Saints - Game thread

AlexLaw76

Just now, badgerx16 said:

Didn't the graphic show that mostly he goes to the keeper's right ?

Thought it was bottom left. I guess it depends if the graphic was from the keeper's view or the strikers! I think because I played as a keeper I looked at it that way.

1 minute ago, Pamplemousse said:

Djenepo is a liability sadly. We got progressively worse as that game goes on.

Just highlights we have a terrible squad and sacking the manager won't change that. Nobody does any better other than Puel.

Why is Minamino out in the cold, though. Don't get it.

Wonder if he’s refusing. Or klopp is. Or we can’t afford his appearance money. Otherwise why not ahead of useless liability Djenepo. 

5 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Exactly we are completely soft. Other teams find a way to stay in games we roll over and let them tickle our stomachs

The moment we knocked the ball out of play for one of their players I knew we were too nice to see this game out.

Edited by Disco Stu
  • Like 5

Sorry but Ralph has to go and take the fecking useless coaching team with him. We lost that game due to a fecking shambles of a substitution where we totally lost our shape and control of the midfield as diallo was dreadful as has been recently.  Tell me when at any point this season a tactical change has worked.  How can a manager survive this... ??

• Like 3

Just now, madge said:

Sorry but Ralph has to go and take the fecking useless coaching team with him. We lost that game due to a fecking shambles of a substitution where we totally lost our shape and control of the midfield as diallo was dreadful as has been recently.  Tell me when at any point this season a tactical change has worked.  How can a manager survive this... ??

A few on here called it. He hasn’t a clue. 

• Like 1

Just now, Whitey Grandad said:

Answer the f***ing question!

Djenepo Is the one who gets kicked. He throws his leg across the shot to try and block it and gets kicked for his efforts.

There’s absolutely no point in debating you, you’re as one eyed as the come. Never ever accept decisions that go against us. If you really think Djenepo was fouled I fear for your sanity. 

Just now, madge said:

I dont think they will ever sack him. They are too gutless, we are a shambles of a club and in free fall for the foreseeable. Ings and vestagaard will be gone. Then we will sleep walk into the championship.

• Like 1

I'm not going to read all the negative crap that I know will be on here.  I'm encouraged that, at last, the team showed a bit of effort. Losing Ings was a blow and it looked like a Spurs handball before the penalty. But, on the whole, much better. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

That was a game which summed up our season and demonstrated the two sides of this team.

1st half, high press, counter pressing, quick movement in the final third and just too quick for Spurs in thought and play. We were fitter, stronger, more energy. We just had too much, everything was positive and things were going well, players looked 20ft taller than the opposition - nothing bad happening to derail us and we had it all our own way. The reality is that during those phases we need to capitalise and score as many goals as we can at full throttle.

2nd half, as you can almost guarantee, the opposition will improve. They pushed up higher and on top of that you could visibly see our team getting sapped of energy, physically and more worryingly mentally. Bit by bit you saw our energy draining, it was like a computer game really - you see the players on green and full health at the start, and by probably 50mins we were all on a tiny red line.

In those situations you rely on 2 things to get you over the line. 1) The substitutes to be the right ones, and to impact the game and replace that energy and 2) Leaders who galvanise the group and pull us through the periods of dips, but sadly that didn't happen and never does happen. Diallo ruined our midfield and just didn't get up to the game at all. Moussa, well, what more can you say. Had enough of him. All legs and absolutely nothing else. As has been said many a time, when the going gets tough they all shrink by 10 ft and pass responsibility to each other. That might sound harsh, but it's what I've seen for years with this group.

On the good points, Tella - excellent, full of energy in the first half, lots of positive running - Redmond and Moussa could learn a lot from him. Ings and Adams movement and link up was as good as it's been for a while, so that was a positive. Armstrong in the middle was outstanding, driving forward and gobbling up the space Spurs were leaving. Sadly he only seems to have around 40mins in him.

Same old story really. Shit squad depth that is absolutely out on it's arses fitness wise, and a severe lack of mental toughness. End this season now please, we all need a total reset and we need to work out what the fuck is up with our fitness levels - and squad depth. 

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 9

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

The rules say that any attacking advantage gained is an automatic handball, they don't say the same about defending handballs.

I think someone here earlier has it right - once the ref gave the free kick, all VAR was able to look at was if it was in/out the box, not whether a) there was a hand ball in the build up or b) if it's even a foul in the first place given the Spurs player swings his leg into Djenepo's boot.

I'm certain though that if this was the first week of the season, it's a free kick to us for the handball.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DT said:

Everyone still seems very sure we’re not going down. Hmm. 

Until it’s impossible for us to go down then nothing would surprise me at this point. I honestly think we deserve to go down for the absolutely appalling second half to our season. 

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

That was a game which summed up our season and demonstrated the two sides of this team.

1st half, high press, counter pressing, quick movement in the final third and just too quick for Spurs in thought and play. We were fitter, stronger, more energy. We just had too much, everything was positive and things were going well, players looked 20ft taller than the opposition - nothing bad happening to derail us. The reality is that during those phases we need to capitalise and score as many goals as we can at full throttle.

2nd half, as you can almost guarantee, the opposition will improve. They pushed up higher and on top of that you could visibly see our team getting sapped of energy, physically and more worryingly mentally. Bit by bit you saw our energy draining, it was like a computer game really - you see the players on green and full health at the start, and by probably 50mins we were all on a tiny red line.

In those situations you rely on 2 things to get you over the line. 1) The substitutes to be the right ones, and to impact the game and replace that energy and 2) Leaders who galvanise the group and pull us through the periods of dips, but sadly that didn't happen and never does happen. Diallo ruined our midfield and just didn't get up to the game at all. Moussa, well, what more can you say. Had enough of him. All legs and absolutely nothing else. As has been said many a time, when the going gets tough they all shrink by 10 ft and pass responsibility to each other. That might sound harsh, but it's what I've seen for years with this group.

On the good points, Tella - excellent, full of energy in the first half, lots of positive running - Redmond and Moussa could learn a lot from him. Ings and Adams movement and link up was as good as it's been for a while, so that was a positive. Armstrong in the middle was outstanding, driving forward and gobbling up the space Spurs were leaving. Sadly he only seems to have around 40mins in him.

Same old story really. Shit squad depth that is absolutely out on it's arses fitness wise, and a severe lack of mental toughness. End this season now please, we all need a total reset and we need to work out what the fuck is up with our fitness levels - and squad depth. 

The really worrying thing is that 29 year-old Ryan Mason with fuck all managerial experience can work out how to nullify our system and change things at half time.

10 minutes ago, Minsk said:

Robbed. Whilst the 2nd half performance wasn't as good as the first, we played much better. Certainly didn't deserve to lose that match.

We did, we have half a team of cowards when the ging gets tough.  We are a mess. 

• Like 4

People laughing about us getting Howe in. What have we got to lose?

He's a good choice to get us back up when we get relegated next season. If we keep Ralph then there's no way he's going to stay when we go down, so get Howe in now.

I watched the FA Cup semi at the weekend and throughout the second half the commentators pointed out that Southampton didn't seem to know how to change things. They were absolutely spot on. It's been the story of our season and you can't blame that on the players. We've got some good players and Ralph simply isn't getting the best out of them.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OttawaSaint said:

Bugger!

We're just not capable of a decent 90+5 minutes. It's either dead and buried by half time or ahead and then forget to play in the second. There's something very wrong with this club.

Possibly players are burned out by unrealistic physical demands 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

1st half, high press, counter pressing, quick movement in the final third and just too quick for Spurs in thought and play. We were fitter, stronger, more energy. We just had too much, everything was positive and things were going well, players looked 20ft taller than the opposition - nothing bad happening to derail us. The reality is that during those phases we need to capitalise and score as many goals as we can at full throttle.

Why are we so unfit. We hardly press anymore but we still look shattered come the 2nd half. Ralph needs to go he doesn't know how to stop the rot

• Like 1

As per normal, great first half, poor/ran out of steam/ideas/Ings second half. Not the thumping I thought we'd get but still no points. On a worse run than Sheff Utd in 2021 tells its own tale. Salisu and Tella did ok, Ings looked better and took his goal well, KWP was his usual effective self and Armstrong drove us forward in the first half. Not much from the others really. I can't believe my own apathy at the result but that mirrors the general lack of enthusiasm about our club at the moment. I don't think watching the same system fail week after week, with no variations to formation or approach really helps.

• Like 5

• Lighthouse changed the title to Spurs 2-1 Saints - Game thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic