Pre Season 2021-22

kjurwi

19 minutes ago, JRM said:

This is a load of shite really , Leicester showing us how it's done, some decent away days with proper full ticket allocations, we get behind closed doors and banned from Wales. 

https://tickets.lcfc.com/en-gb/categories/away tickets

Don't give a monkeys. Preseason friendlies are about the players, getting them ready for the season. It's clear that in general teams have been ad used to stay at home (GB) due to travel restrictions, these are friendlies so not critical to exempt from overseas travel bans. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, VectisSaint said:

Don't give a monkeys. Preseason friendlies are about the players, getting them ready for the season. It's clear that in general teams have been ad used to stay at home (GB) due to travel restrictions, these are friendlies so not critical to exempt from overseas travel bans. 

Depends whether you're a match going fan who likes meeting up with mates on an away day I suppose. 

30 minutes ago, JRM said:

Depends whether you're a match going fan who likes meeting up with mates on an away day I suppose. 

Our average our away pre-season friendlies have an average attendance of about 12. It's probably not worth the stewarding costs and the additional Covid risks (which is probably going to be a ball ache for the squad this season in terms of players having to miss games to self isolate).

Why don't you just go to the pub with your mates and wait til the new season starts? Or go to the beach while the weather is nice? Or read a book? Olympics start this week, they'll be good too.

I love Saints away pre-season friendlies. No agonising over the result and you get to see the new faces and some different grounds. I think there were over 500 Saints fans at Feyenoord on last preseason we were allowed to attend.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ItchenRob said:

I love Saints away pre-season friendlies. No agonising over the result and you get to see the new faces and some different grounds. I think there were over 500 Saints fans at Feyenoord on last preseason we were allowed to attend.

Yeah and we've had some decent followings taking 1600 to Brentford a couple of years ago,  i think Man Utd are taking 3000 to QPR this weekend, those who have missed away days will get it, others wont, I'd bet posters above like to potter around their bungalow and listen to Dave Merrington commentary and don't realise others actually have some fun going to games. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

Stadium will be full for this one.....oh no it won't, no entry unless you are double jabbed and can prove it i suspect.

Thank god i have had mine.

Don't think there's any suggestion you have to be double jabbed, that's being suggested from end of Sept which I completely disagree with but that's another topic altogether. 

I look out for Bilbao's results, decent club with Saints links plus they presented Le Tissier with a special award (one club legend) 

Tough game. 

2 hours ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

Stadium will be full for this one.....oh no it won't, no entry unless you are double jabbed and can prove it i suspect.

Thank god i have had mine.

And what s wrong with that? Creates a safer environment.

19 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

And what s wrong with that? Creates a safer environment.

Actually it doesn't create a safer environment. Being vaccinated twice simply protects yourself from the severity of covid should you get it. It does prevent you getting it nor does it stop you spreading it. 

By insisting people are double dosed it merely excludes those who aren't and who "might(but no one knows for sure)" be more severely affected by coronavirus should they contract it. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

Actually it doesn't create a safer environment. Being vaccinated twice simply protects yourself from the severity of covid should you get it. It does prevent you getting it nor does it stop you spreading it. 

By insisting people are double dosed it merely excludes those who aren't and who "might(but no one knows for sure)" be more severely affected by coronavirus should they contract it. 

Spot on,  the psychology around it is fascinating,  some people really believe they would be inside some secure safe zone, mad really. Plus even vaccine producers admit there is no evidence to support long term side effects which is why they are protected from litigation. 

Lockdown - incentive / coercion  to get the vaccine to allow "freedom" back. Remember initially just needed the most vulnerable jabbed. 

Open up but restrict freedoms to those jabbed, again coercion, get the jab or become a 2nd class citizen. Utterly bonkers when most young people have perfectly good immune systems to protect them and have virtually 100% survival rate. 

20 hours ago, MarkSFC said:

To be clear this is definitely not true.

Getting the vaccine lowers your chances of catching COVID by approximately 91%. It also lessens symptoms considerably, but that isn't the reason for why the club insist on being vaccinated. It is definitely false to say it doesn't lower chances of getting it.

Sources:

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/getting-a-pfizer-or-moderna-covid-19-vaccine-can-drop-your-risk-for-infection-by-91
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/226413/almost-double-vaccinated-people-england-have/

The reason for insisting on vaccines can be seen through simple decision mathematics:

- Imagine a vaccine source S and two people labelled X and Y wherein X is the "passer" and Y is the receiver.
- Imagine the vaccine is 90% effective.
Consider three cases
- First, if neither X or Y is vaccinated then there is a 100% of the virus being passed from S to X to Y.
- Second, if Y is and X isn't there is a 10% chance of the virus going from S to X to Y.
- Third, If both X and Y are vaccinated then there is a 1% chance of S to X to Y (10% of 10%).

Therefore X not being vaccinated directly effects the health of Y even if Y is vaccinated, any more risk they take on is compounded to everyone else in the network.

In actuality it is a big web of passers and receivers and compound probability is what keeps us safe. This is why, mathematically, insisting on vaccination before gathering is essential, because the vaccine massively reduces risk but it isn't perfect so you need to reduce the transmissibility between nodes. Apologies for nerding out on this one a bit, it's a bit closer to what I do for a living.

Edited by TWar
  • Like 13

5 minutes ago, JRM said:

Spot on,  the psychology around it is fascinating,  some people really believe they would be inside some secure safe zone, mad really. Plus even vaccine producers admit there is no evidence to support long term side effects which is why they are protected from litigation. 

Lockdown - incentive / coercion  to get the vaccine to allow "freedom" back. Remember initially just needed the most vulnerable jabbed. 

Open up but restrict freedoms to those jabbed, again coercion, get the jab or become a 2nd class citizen. Utterly bonkers when most young people have perfectly good immune systems to protect them and have virtually 100% survival rate. 

Of course once the youngsters have been jabbed, not that the vaccine will make any difference to most of them anyway as for them it's nothing more than a bit of a cold, we'll have the - now we need to give the most vulnerable another top up jab with winter coming, just a few more months, almost there....

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Of course once the youngsters have been jabbed, not that the vaccine will make any difference to most of them anyway as for them it's nothing more than a bit of a cold, we'll have the - now we need to give the most vulnerable another top up jab with winter coming, just a few more months, almost there....

Freedom is just not worth the risk is it mate. Better wait a few more months....

Feel sorry for the youngsters I really do. 

27 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

Wrong. It lowers the chances of getting it.

That is why countries try to obtain high rate levels of vaccination to reach collective immunity.

Saying it doesn t lower your chances of getting it is just anti vax bs and a fake argument for not getting your jab.

• Like 6

Just now, stevy777_x said:

Wrong. It lowers the chances of getting it.

That is why countries try to obtain high rate levels of vaccination to reach collective immunity.

Saying it doesn t lower your chances of getting it is just anti vax bs and a fake argument for not getting your jab.

In your scenario you could still be sat next Sajid Javid,  whilst a perfectly healthy person is shut out because they won't produce their health records. 

But immuno-compromised people, and there's plenty of young ones, are going to be second class citizens anyway and will be relying on others to get the jab to reduce the chances of infection. In the same way I am wearing a mask still in crowded indoor places because it offers a reassurance to other people that I'm being responsible.

With the extension of the vaccination programme to younger age groups I wouldn't be so concerned about the younger groups, unless they're stupid enough to think they won't be affected and become a risk to others.

• Like 3

First game on Saturday will be interesting if we get a teamsheet.

I imagine Adams, Armstrong and Bednarek won't play. Ings hasnt been in the last couple of training videos or pics so he probably won't either.

Otherwise probably 45mins for a most of the squad, including a few who about 3 weeks ago seemed unlikely to ever pull on a Saints shirt again.

Well, who would have guessed? We are playing a decent European team at St Mary's at 3pm on the Saturday before the season kicks off.

Turns out that the bloke who told me that all those weeks ago was right, despite MLG thinking he was probably "just guessing". Or maybe he is a very good guesser. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, SaintBobby said:

Well, who would have guessed? We are playing a decent European team at St Mary's at 3pm on the Saturday before the season kicks off.

Turns out that the bloke who told me that all those weeks ago was right, despite MLG thinking he was probably "just guessing". Or maybe he is a very good guesser. 

But how could he have possibly known? I'm with MLG: this is a completely unforeseeable chain of events that we are playing a recognised European team on the Saturday afternoon before the season starts. 

One can only imagine the absolute panic in the ticket office last night when they found out for the very first time of this brand new concept.

I applaud the club in taking this giant step into the unknown.

Edited by CB Fry

15 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

But how could he have possibly known? I'm with MLG: this is a completely unforeseeable chain of events that we are playing a recognised European team on the Saturday afternoon before the season starts. 

One can only imagine the absolute panic in the ticket office last night when they found out for the very first time of this brand new concept.

I applaud the club in taking this giant step into the unknown.

I'm still so impressed that they employ such amazing fortune tellers in corporate hospitality. People who can apparently predict the future.

No wonder we can't afford to sign any decent players, we have people on Nostradamus wages just chatting to me in corporate hospitality.

I blame Les Reed/Rupert Lowe/Cortese (delete according to taste).

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Interesting with Arsenal dropping out of their tournament in Florida it does seem adding international travel adds another layer of complexity, hopefully Bilbao travel with no issues and we get the game on. Are they due to play any other clubs whilst in England?

On 20/07/2021 at 16:45, jawillwill said:

Our average our away pre-season friendlies have an average attendance of about 12. It's probably not worth the stewarding costs and the additional Covid risks (which is probably going to be a ball ache for the squad this season in terms of players having to miss games to self isolate).

Why don't you just go to the pub with your mates and wait til the new season starts? Or go to the beach while the weather is nice? Or read a book? Olympics start this week, they'll be good too.

Very odd post. People like going to away pre season matches, as JRM mentioned, a day out with mates in the sunshine in a completely different town as opposed to the same 5 or 6 cities we repeatedly visit in the PL. Or better still a foreign mooch to the Netherlands, Spain, Switzerland or Austria, some even went to China in 2018 and Macau in 2019! We've had some great trips over the years! Suppose if you don't go regularly, you just don't get it. 

For anyone starved of a day out, Salisbury v Saints B tickets are now on sale;

https://salisburyfc.seetickets.com/event/salisbury-fc-v-southampton-fc-b/raymond-mcenhill-stadium/2007500 

Edited by Dan

5 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I see Ralph’s rotating the goalkeepers again 🥺

Will just be for preseason I imagine to see who is our best option.

Aside from that some interesting points. Djenepo being tried out at LB, not even left wingback is interesting, although him giving away the pen is pretty unimpressive. Ings playing means he probably isn't close to the door. Obafemi as a 10 could be interesting too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nordic Saint said:

Two very evenly matched squads.

Fulham FC - Southampton 1-1 Fulham

I mean, not really, that's why one of them is in the championship. Don't know who there team was in both halves but us playing two entirely different teams in both halfs probably didn't help, if we played our first 11 all the way through we'd mash them, but thats not really the goal of a friendly. Sounds like we were trying out new things like Djenepo at LB and it didn't really work.

1 minute ago, TWar said:

I mean, not really, that's why one of them is in the championship. Don't know who there team was in both halves but us playing two entirely different teams in both halfs probably didn't help, if we played our first 11 all the way through we'd mash them, but thats not really the goal of a friendly. Sounds like we were trying out new things like Djenepo at LB and it didn't really work.

What happened to the 'banging head against a brick wall emoji ?'. Haven't seen it for years but immediately sprang to mind on reading this.

1 minute ago, Badger said:

What happened to the 'banging head against a brick wall emoji ?'. Haven't seen it for years but immediately sprang to mind on reading this.

Yeah I hate it, but what can you do. I guess he hasn't played as a pure LB before and has just been a wingback and testing things like this is what friendlies are for, but it's tested now so we need to stop.

1 hour ago, TWar said:

Yeah I hate it, but what can you do. I guess he hasn't played as a pure LB before and has just been a wingback and testing things like this is what friendlies are for, but it's tested now so we need to stop.

Sticking with our square pegs in round holes philosophy I see

• Sad 1

:D people over reacting to a friendly, classic. Wasn't a "test" at all. Quite clearly about players getting 45 minutes and Djenepo being the only suitable player who can play left back other than the new guy, hence why we're trying to sign another. You utter wet wipes.

• Like 5