Pre Season 2021-22

kjurwi

19 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Obafemi looked sharp. Would like to see him get more game time this season, I think there's a good player in there.

I agree. Pace, power, decent touch, turns well, can finish. He's been used as a 10 in pre season and I wander if that's where we'll see him more. If he can stay injury free he'll be an asset this season. 

12 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Elyounoussi has been missing for the first 45. Just how I remember him. Hopefully we're looking for an attacking midfielder because he doesn't convince me.

12 hours ago, OttawaSaint said:

Damn, was hoping he’d have somehow become a better player and would be able to put a shift in for us this upcoming season. 

Surely Ralph has seen enough of him to know he's crap and has to be sent off out on loan again, assuming no one wants to buy him

2 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

Did perraud play ? how did he look

Not at all impressed by Perraud from a very causal glance at those three minutes.  i was expecting him to have played a key role in all four goals and weighed in with a direct free kick for a fifth.  if he doesn't sort it out for the next game then I feel a loan spell in L1 might be needed to toughen the boy (as Dave Merrington will no doubt start calling him) up a little......

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, malcolm waldron said:

Not at all impressed by Perraud from a very causal glance at those three minutes.  i was expecting him to have played a key role in all four goals and weighed in with a direct free kick for a fifth.  if he doesn't sort it out for the next game then I feel a loan spell in L1 might be needed to toughen the boy (as Dave Merrington will no doubt start calling him) up a little......

I bet you a million pounds he doesn't go out on loan. 

12 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

I bet you a million pounds he doesn't go out on loan. 

I think he's joking.

Serious response regarding Perraud. He was alright, looked pacy going forward but most of his crosses were blocked, looked competent defensively but wasn't threatened much. One miscontrol which almost let them through but could have been miscommunication with Salisu tbh.

Edited by TWar
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, LaptopSaint said:

Looked decent. Won a few corners with the revolutionary tactic of taking on his man on the outside and driving forward 

Promising, hopefully with two fullbacks doing this it means we are not just going down the right hand side like last season attacking wise.

What to take from this stroll in the park?

Great value for £3, thank you CCFC. Excellent commentary but a bit OTT in their admiration of Saints.

Cardiff were woeful like rabbits caught in headlights. Big Mick for the chop very soon? That or the drop, no guts, no fight, no clue.

We did it without poster boy! Now then?

What are we still paying Ings for? Seriously.

Obafemi really is crap.

Salisu is a bit of a curate's egg, let's hope Vestergaard stays.

Valery was Valery as always.

Some very nice line breaking passes leading to our goals, looks like we are learning at last. Even Adams.

If Romeu and Diallo work together on the details of their partnership we will have a really decent central midfield.

Love Tella; hope Theo can keep up this new found enthusiasm.

We will not win the PL title

Anyone hoping Elyounoussi would come back a better player after 2 seasons at Celtic please think again, he was woeful last night and is never going to make it in the Premiership. Scottish football is his level.

Stephens, omg please do not let him anywhere near the first team, dreadful player.

I wasn't convinced Valery has improved.

Ings...was he on the pitch??....to be fair he was starved off service and must have wished he had still been on the pitch after the 7 second half subs were made!

I like Salisu, he wanted the ball all the time and reads the game so well, but please stop thinking you can dribble it out of defence!

Perraud, nothing outstanding but a solid enough first game.

The 7 players that came on need dope testing! What a transformation when they entered the fray.

Tella is lightening quick and the assists he has are really mounting up, so looking forward to seeing more of this lad.

Adams very composed in front of goal

Redmond.....please carry on like this!

Djneppo...always loved this guy, never know what he's going to do and i'm sure his team mates feel the same, he can produce magic, what a goal, really want him to succeed.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

Anyone hoping Elyounoussi would come back a better player after 2 seasons at Celtic please think again, he was woeful last night and is never going to make it in the Premiership. Scottish football is his level.

Stephens, omg please do not let him anywhere near the first team, dreadful player.

I wasn't convinced Valery has improved.

Ings...was he on the pitch??....to be fair he was starved off service and must have wished he had still been on the pitch after the 7 second half subs were made!

I like Salisu, he wanted the ball all the time and reads the game so well, but please stop thinking you can dribble it out of defence!

Perraud, nothing outstanding but a solid enough first game.

The 7 players that came on need dope testing! What a transformation when they entered the fray.

Tella is lightening quick and the assists he has are really mounting up, so looking forward to seeing more of this lad.

Adams very composed in front of goal

Redmond.....please carry on like this!

Djneppo...always loved this guy, never know what he's going to do and i'm sure his team mates feel the same, he can produce magic, what a goal, really want him to succeed.

I watched the whole game thanks to the excellent Cardiff City TV broadcast, and would agree with most of the above. EXCEPT I didn't see a dreadful player in Stephens. I think perhaps some people have made their minds up, and are looking to be critical. Why? Regarding Salisu, the comments above are fair, but isn't it the job of the coaching staff to put him right on the dribbling out? There may be trouble ahead if he persists with it!

In general, been watching Saints for over 60 years now, and pleasing though last night's result was, one thing I do know is that you can't take too much notice of pre-season friendly results!

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, Totton Saint said:

great pass from tell to Che

Didn't realise at the time but three of our goals were absolute beauties. Individual class from Djenepo, phenomenal throughball from Tella and very clever finish from Che, and an excellent interplay goal with Tella and Che both showing incredible composure, quality and pace.

I have been saying all summer attacking mid is our number one priority but I'm not too proud to admit I was wrong if Tella keeps playing like this.

Edited by TWar

13 hours ago, daldridge7 said:

Picture 39 pretty much say it all you need to know about how successful our transfer window has been, Stevens, Long & Obafemi together close up in one pic.

Must be striking fear and trepidation into the hearts of other PL teams. 

• Sad 1

Just now, Charlie Wayman said:

Picture 39 pretty much say it all you need to know about how successful our transfer window has been, Stevens, Long & Obafemi together close up in one pic.

Must be striking fear and trepidation into the hearts of other PL teams. 

Why have you focused on that photo? 🤔

- Stephens (not Stevens) is 4th choice centre back

- Long is behind Ings, Adams, Tella, Obafemi, Redmond and Walcott in the pecking order for a striker spot and I think there is a reasonable chance he'll be loaned out again before the close of the window.

- Obafemi is not a starting striker, he is backup to first choice pairing Ings and Adams, along with Tella, Redmond and Walcott

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Why have you focused on that photo? 🤔

- Stephens (not Stevens) is 4th choice centre back

- Long is behind Ings, Adams, Tella, Obafemi, Redmond and Walcott in the pecking order for a striker spot and I think there is a reasonable chance he'll be loaned out again before the close of the window.

- Obafemi is not a starting striker, he is backup to first choice pairing Ings and Adams, along with Tella, Redmond and Walcott

As a chance to post something negative?

• Like 1

For the third goal, I wonder if Adams' sleeve would have been offside if that was a Prem match with VAR? Seriously!

He needs to stop pointing in front, if they are going to carry on with their retarded use of VAR. Let's hope that the officials learnt something from the Euros.

1 minute ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I have a horrible sense of dread that this will be the starting line up when we play Everton. With the exception of Perraud for Moussa.

It is an example of our absolute worst case scenario lineup. Ings, JWP and Vestergaard leaving with no new signings.

Not that I think that'll happen mind, but yeah it's a pretty depressing side.

2 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I have a horrible sense of dread that this will be the starting line up when we play Everton. With the exception of Perraud for Moussa.

I very much doubt Long would start instead of Ings. Ward-Prowse only has a minor injury allowing Armstrong to play in the number 10 role. Also plenty of time for Vestergaard to come back into the starting XI.

Edited by Matthew Le God

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

I very much doubt Long would start instead of Ings. Ward-Prowse only has a minor injury allowing Armstrong to play in the number 10 role. Also plenty of time for Vestergaard to come back into the starting XI.

You completely miss the point. Ings, Vestergaard and JWP will all be sold by the time we play Everton.