The Euro2020 Thread

Saint Garrett

27 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

Agreed, if Ings and Rashford played for the opposite clubs then Danny would probably be there right now.  Unless of course Rashford's place is now untouchable due to him being an MBE?

Has it crossed your mind that players who play for bigger clubs are generally speaking better players. It’s sort of why they’re playing for a club who are battling for top 4 rather than relegation. 

Ings was bang average this season, had the euros been last year, he’d have been nailed on to go. He didn’t deserve a place this year. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, egg said:

I think it's bollox. Southgate is judged on what his team does at the tournament, not whether he keeps Man Utd management happier than ours, or gives Rashford a seat on the bench rather than Ings. 

You show me Ben White, I'll raise you Kalvin Phillips. 

I don't think it's Southgate, it's more of a core FA thing and those old duffers upstairs.

Remember, when Hodgson came out and said his preference was players from top 6 sides?

That was a lot to do with half the players in arguably the best saints team in my lifetime fucking off.

And it's always been the same with that bunch of dinosaurs.

Not saying Ings should be in it but that's my opinion. 😅

14 minutes ago, egg said:

I think it's bollox. Southgate is judged on what his team does at the tournament, not whether he keeps Man Utd management happier than ours, or gives Rashford a seat on the bench rather than Ings. 

You show me Ben White, I'll raise you Kalvin Phillips. 

Rashford and Sterling have always been pretty dependable for Southgate, that’s why they were picked. It has nothing to do with who they play for. 

And quite clearly both are in the top 26 players in the country at the moment. 

Edited by SKD

13 minutes ago, SKD said:

Has it crossed your mind that players who play for bigger clubs are generally speaking better players. It’s sort of why they’re playing for a club who are battling for top 4 rather than relegation. 

Ings was bang average this season, had the euros been last year, he’d have been nailed on to go. He didn’t deserve a place this year. 

Yes, of course, generally speaking if you play for a big club it means you're a better player. BUT, I think there's a fair amount of evidence over the years to suggest that it also cuts you more slack when your form dips than if you played for a club like us.  There is also the argument that you have to work harder at clubs lower down the league as you're playing alongside worse quality players.

I'm not actually saying that Ings deserved to go, but do feel that he was far more likely to get the chop for a loss of form / injuries than someone like Rashford.  I may be going a step too far here, but I'm not convinced Rashford is a better player than Ings (ohh the controversy!).

Despite Kane's poor form I'm puzzled by the difference between this England team and the one that played such exciting, adventurous football in Southgate's World Cup squad. I think we have better players here now, so why play cagy defensive football?  I understand that having qualified for the next round Southgate wanted to protect players from injury, but scoring only one a match is not going to have much impact in the knockout stage.

For goodness sake, let's go down playing exciting football!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

Yes, of course, generally speaking if you play for a big club it means you're a better player. BUT, I think there's a fair amount of evidence over the years to suggest that it also cuts you more slack when your form dips than if you played for a club like us.  There is also the argument that you have to work harder at clubs lower down the league as you're playing alongside worse quality players.

I'm not actually saying that Ings deserved to go, but do feel that he was far more likely to get the chop for a loss of form / injuries than someone like Rashford.  I may be going a step too far here, but I'm not convinced Rashford is a better player than Ings (ohh the controversy!).

As you say, if Rashford was a West Brom player, would he have been in the squad given the poor season he has had? 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, eelpie said:

Despite Kane's poor form I'm puzzled by the difference between this England team and the one that played such exciting, adventurous football in Southgate's World Cup squad. I think we have better players here now, so why play cagy defensive football?  I understand that having qualified for the next round Southgate wanted to protect players from injury, but scoring only one a match is not going to have much impact in the knockout stage.

Have I missed the sarcasm here? England were totally defensive with their 3 at the back system in the World Cup, and most of our goals came from set pieces

12 minutes ago, Sarnia Cherie said:

As you say, if Rashford was a West Brom player, would he have been in the squad given the poor season he has had? 

Probably not I'd say.  Also, not trying to put him down but he's a youth product of Manchester United, rather than someone they signed.  I think all clubs should develop players, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they will be at the same level as the players that clubs like that go out and sign for huge sums.

I really admire him as a gent, he seems a fine role model and deserved his MBE, but that's not a reason to make the squad (if so, then Francis Benali would probably have got 50-100 caps).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eelpie said:

Is this a wind up

Think I remember reading we had the lowest amount of shots bar Morocco or Tunisia in the whole tournament 

What tells me that its where you are from not who you are much of the time is when the bit part players at the big clubs play repeatedly for England, but once they move on to other clubs where they play more regularly never get selected. The likes of Welbeck, Shelvy, Cleverly spring to mind in this regard. None of them really where that great with England either so it makes it hard to argue that it was repeated form for country which kept them there, but that magically evaporated when they went somewhere else.

• Like 2

Just now, LiberalCommunist said:

Just finished work, which was long hard and hot. 

Just catching up with the footy, has Morata just missed another penalty, or do my beedy sweaty eyes deceive me?

Anyone more cognitive or just up to date than me out there watching this?

Oh my god, that goal is hilarious!!!! 

Atrocious penalty, Spain getting frustrated so that’s a very very bad goal to concede.

So had we finished 2nd last night, we would have been playing Spain in Copenhagen in the last 16.

I genuinely think looking at our side of the draw, the next game could be our semi-final; win that and I would back us to beat the winner of Sweden/Ukraine

That would then lead to a semi-final against Netherlands most likely (at Wembley!!!)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

BBC commentator annoying me. Pretending that the portugal penalty was deserved but the france one was a travesty. Both were poor imo.

Dangerous play from Lloris for me, you shouldn't be able to follow through with your fist and elbow into a players head. Any other position on the pitch and a bad follow through is an instant yellow or red regardless of if you get the ball, why should it be different for a keeper, especially to the head? The second pen was absolute nonsense though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TWar said:

Dangerous play from Lloris for me, you shouldn't be able to follow through with your fist and elbow into a players head. Any other position on the pitch and a bad follow through is an instant yellow or red regardless of if you get the ball, why should it be different for a keeper, especially to the head? The second pen was absolute nonsense though.

Anytime a keeper comes for a cross is dangerous in a crowded area is likely dangerous play then.

2 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Anytime a keeper comes for a cross is dangerous in a crowded area is likely dangerous play then.

Not really.

What that keeper did, in that situation, was clearly dangerous.

4 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

He came forward at pace with his fist at head height in a punching action and followed with his elbow, it's very different from how a keeper normally claims a cross in a crowd.