The Euro2020 Thread

Saint Garrett

6 minutes ago, Chapel End said:

A squad is designed to give available options for as many situations as possible so having some unfit players in the group reduces those options and an unnecessary risk..... IMO

Picking a middling, average bottom-six midfielder to just pad the squad out with fit players is also an unnecessary risk.

You need to reconcile yourself with the simple fact that a nearly fit Jordan Henderson is a far, far, far, far better selection for England in this tournament than the fittest possible version of JWP there could ever be.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Forget the name of one of the Welsh pundits but talking up Wales pathetically. Also ‘no one was talking about Italy before the tournament’. Seriously the blokes who froth up at sight of a female pundit but that ITV panel was shocking. Talking about Ramsey like he is equivalent to Messi. 
Hartson ‘an incredible result’ yeah you lost mate.

Anyway pleased they are through but don’t over do it lads.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, whelk said:

Forget the name of one of the Welsh pundits but talking up Wales pathetically. Also ‘no one was talking about Italy before the tournament’. Seriously the blokes who froth up at sight of a female pundit but that ITV panel was shocking. Talking about Ramsey like he is equivalent to Messi. 

I'm not. I hope they get thrashed in the next round.

https://youtu.be/sOHgwMA18UI

34 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Picking a middling, average bottom-six midfielder to just pad the squad out with fit players is also an unnecessary risk.

You need to reconcile yourself with the simple fact that a nearly fit Jordan Henderson is a far, far, far, far better selection for England in this tournament than the fittest possible version of JWP there could ever be.

Do shut up you idiot and try and understand what was actually written before going of on one of your ridiculous rants.

Now I will try again as you seem to be a bit hard of thinking, i said nothing about JWP being picked, ok! with me so far? I said picking unfit players reduces options, is that clear for you now?

🙄

4 minutes ago, Chapel End said:

Do shut up you idiot and try and understand what was actually written before going of on one of your ridiculous rants.

Now I will try again as you seem to be a bit hard of thinking, i said nothing about JWP being picked, ok! with me so far? I said picking unfit players reduces options, is that clear for you now?

🙄

Okay, so you you're okay with JWP not being picked in the squad. Fair enough, thanks for clearing that up.

19 minutes ago, LiberalCommunist said:

I'm pleased James is getting a much needed rest. Looking forward to him breaking a load of long standing Saints records next season. And some all time EPL ones as well. 

By my limited maths, he’s 35 games away from tying Wayne Bridge’s record for 112 consecutive games played and 90 minutes completed per game, and 36 games from tying 113 consecutive games (Bridge went off injured in game 113). Quite an ask but, given his past two seasons and having the summer off, not out of the question.

56 minutes ago, whelk said:

TBF it's easier to go through than go out..Only 8 teams leave at this stage!

29 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

By my limited maths, he’s 35 games away from tying Wayne Bridge’s record for 112 consecutive games played and 90 minutes completed per game, and 36 games from tying 113 consecutive games (Bridge went off injured in game 113). Quite an ask but, given his past two seasons and having the summer off, not out of the question.

And we know far more about ice baths these days

4 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Are all the Italian team racist for trying to kick off when Wales took the knee, or just the half that didn't reluctantly join in once they realised what was going on? 

Grow up ffs. Watch the footie and have your culture war later

• Like 1

England need someone to connect the defensive midfield and the attack. I thought that was going to be Mount, but on the basis of the first two games, Mount, Foden and Sterling all seem to want to drift wide, leaving an enormous gap where the central attacking midfielder should be in this formation.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

England need someone to connect the defensive midfield and the attack. I thought that was going to be Mount, but on the basis of the first two games, Mount, Foden and Sterling all seem to want to drift wide, leaving an enormous gap where the central attacking midfielder should be in this formation.

Agreed. England need a Steven Davis type midfielder to link defence to attack.

16 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

Did you watch Italy? They passed the ball forwards. Wales had the whole team behind the ball but they continued to push forward, England would have just passed the ball around the centre circle for 90 minutes in that game.

England need to stop the sideways possession based rubbish and actually try to create something. I honestly don't think the personnel will make any difference.. 

2 minutes ago, Pedantic Pete said:

Did you watch Italy? They passed the ball forwards. Wales had the whole team behind the ball but they continued to push forward, England would have just passed the ball around the centre circle for 90 minutes in that game.

England need to stop the sideways possession based rubbish and actually try to create something. I honestly don't think the personnel will make any difference.. 

You might be right, but I feel much the same way watching England as I do when watching Saints. Because there's  no one occupying the central attacking spaces, nearly every move defaults to trying to get the ball wide. Not to disparage the importance of wing play, but if it's the only attacking move you ever make you can't be surprised when defenses find you easy to play against.

13 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Fuck me. Wales beat Turkey the most woeful team in the competition, drew with Switzerland, and lost to Italy reserves and the commentators are wetting their pants. 

Your point is pony. Grealish is the new Messi and we have been watching Gazza score the same goal for the last week constantly over the last week with the commentators “wetting” themselves. It’s the media ffs it’s what they do.

Anything to get upset eh?  Give yourself a break

• Like 1

Peter Crouch: "I’ve been there with England. You try to act as if everything is going to be straightforward but, deep down, the history and the pressure and expectation leads you to stiffen up and make decisions that you wouldn’t normally consider."

• Like 1

12 hours ago, verlaine1979 said:

No need to talk in code. You can just say they should've taken JWP...

I think you need to send my post back to Bletchley Park and ask them to try again.

Anyway, today’s games could be interesting. You’d imagine Austria and Ukraine would both take a draw and go through in second/third with four points. If the Danes beat Russia, there will be a three way tie for second in the other group. As it happens I don’t think they will but it could all come down to GD and last minute goals.

Anyone remember the Sweden, Denmark and Italy group from Euro 2004?

18 hours ago, whelk said:

I’d be interested in hearing what people think of JWP’s exclusion?

In tournaments like this,  you need "game-changers " to come on and DAJFU,  and not just a row of subs. on the bench who need a run-out.

Excluding Ings and JWP may cost England before the show is over. It isn't a case of if " they are better than .....so and so. ", but for Southgate 

to leave out two successful players in favour of  two who are totally unfit .... is plain stupidity.

If their presence is so important to the squad, they might  just as well sit in the dressing room wearing their England blazers and give their support.

As it is,  GS gave over two places to men who are clearly unfit to play, and neglected two who (on stats) might clearly have made a difference.

In the Croatia match,  England had two free kicks that didn't even clear the wall, whereas JWP would have had meaningful efforts on goal.

Danny Ings' skill in the box is legend, but no-one in the current squad shows anything near his ability to finish decisively. 

1 hour ago, david in sweden said:

In the Croatia match,  England had two free kicks that didn't even clear the wall, whereas JWP would have had meaningful efforts on goal.

This isn’t NFL. We can’t just bring a kicker onto the pitch every time we want to kick for a field goal.

• Like 2

I have never understood the idea of putting people in a squad who are "great for the locker room" but wont play. You can bring them along anyway if they were that useful just to hang out, join in practice, pump up the spirits without them using up space. And if they become moaning twats for not being picked I am not sure how useful their "locker room" contribution was anyway. Same goes for giving exposure to younger players for a future tournament who you are not going to pick.

Breaking News

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/57560206

Mount and Chilwell have to isolate.

Edited by Mystic Force
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mystic Force said:

I have never understood the idea of putting people in a squad who are "great for the locker room" but wont play. You can bring them along anyway if they were that useful just to hang out, join in practice, pump up the spirits without them using up space. And if they become moaning twats for not being picked I am not sure how useful their "locker room" contribution was anyway. Same goes for giving exposure to younger players for a future tournament who you are not going to pick.

Breaking News

Oh no! If only we had picked a “middling” versatile midfield player who was useful at dead ball kicks! Still, at least we have an unfit Henderson along who will be especially useful for the penalties.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Oh no! If only we had picked a “middling” versatile midfield player who was useful at dead ball kicks! Still, at least we have an unfit Henderson along who will be especially useful for the penalties.

Just think of all those killer free kicks he'd be whipping in from his out wide position sat down next to Aaron Ramsdale.

Edited by CB Fry

1 hour ago, Mystic Force said:

Breaking News

We'll miss Mount. I'd hope that he'll play Foden in that role, and bring Sancho in on the right. Chilwell won't be missed. 

13 minutes ago, adrian lord said:

5 Live this morning made me think I had missed a late 2-goal flourish from the Taffs. 

To be fair it is some achievement for a small country to smash a powerhouse like Italy.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, egg said:

We'll miss Mount. I'd hope that he'll play Foden in that role, and bring Sancho in on the right. Chilwell won't be missed. 

Mount has done absolutely nothing so far, I’d like to see either Foden or Grealish in for him, especially if he’s going to stick with 2 DMs. Need 4 attacking players, Atleast 1 of which who is quick, 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Mount has done absolutely nothing so far, I’d like to see either Foden or Grealish in for him, especially if he’s going to stick with 2 DMs. Need 4 attacking players, Atleast 1 of which who is quick, 

He was the only player other than Foden against Scotland who was positive. 

Good shout re Grealish though. On reflection, he's the logical change. 

2 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

This format is shite, too many Noddy teams. The Euros used to be a top quality from start to finish, now it’s too easy to get out of the groups and too easy to qualify in the first place. 

Special 60th anniversary edition.

Edited by badgerx16