The Euro2020 Thread

Saint Garrett

2 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

So we are definitely through to the second round whatever happens tomorrow.

Wasn't really in any doubt but official now.

I haven't got a clue how it works so I'll take your word for it.

Southgate still needs to win tomorrow imo he's getting heat after that V Scotland.

5 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Don’t give a shite, I want all the British teams to do well.

So do I.

Quite like Scotland / Northern Ireland and I know it's not UK but really like Ireland too.

But Wales no way, they're horrible bastards, they really are. The animosity towards us in the rugby is real. 

Goku looked a good prospect for Belgium, but I see that he was already out of our price range by the time he was 18. Likewise Damsgaard for Denmark, though he would've been more affordable when he made his first move abroad.

Hopefully our scouting system is getting an update from its wait-six-years-and-then-sign-Elyounoussi strategy. Maybe pick up a couple of these gems on their first transfer, as we're clearly too broke to buy either of them from Rennes or Sampdoria now.

So Finland heading home as one of the worst third placed teams, with 3 points and -2 GD. Candidates to join them are:

Ukraine, 3 points and -1

Croatia, 2 points if the don’t beat Scotland

Portugal, if they get stuffed by France

Slovakia, if they lose by 2 or more against Spain.

2 hours ago, aintforever said:

Don’t give a shite, I want all the British teams to do well.

I’m with you.

all the UK teams and Ireland I want to do well. Rather cheer them along than a bunch I’ve no affinity for.

* gotta love the underdogs - which the Brits & Ireland are 👍

Don’t get the hatred and animosity 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vectraman said:

all the UK teams and Ireland I want to do well. Rather cheer them along than a bunch I’ve no affinity for.

As soon as England go out of something I stop watching full stop....which means only two more games to watch England in the Euros!

10 hours ago, aintforever said:

I like Wales, why does it matter if they hate or like us?

I agree, enjoy going there on holiday and have friends there, I've also been to Wales home and away with England and the rivalry isn't that big (even joined up in France 2016 to take on the Russians) 

Probably a bigger rivalry when it comes to Rugby. 

I like Wales more than Scotland. When the games are on I want them both to win. But if they don't win, its not like I give a shit.

Passionately wanting them to lose is sinking down to their level. All the stuff during World Cups where you see Scottish fans buying Argentina tops because they're playing us?

That's something England fans would never do the other way round. And that's what we can be proud of. We're so much better than that kind of tinpottery.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

I like Wales more than Scotland. When the games are on I want them both to win. But if they don't win, its not like I give a shit.

Passionately wanting them to lose is sinking down to their level. All the stuff during World Cups where you see Scottish fans buying Argentina tops because they're playing us?

That's something England fans would never do the other way round. And that's what we can be proud of. We're so much better than that kind of tinpottery.

As a Norn Iron Ive tried to explain before. Its sibling rivalry. Its always going to be there. England is big brother. Its as simple as that and like that relationship it is love/hate.

we all want to beat England so badly it hurts, more than any other team and, especially rugby/football the modern form of war. It actually does feel like hate when the adrenaline is flowing. I celebrated like a loon when Healy scored and we beat England.

However, when England play anyone else the vast majority of us little brothers are with England. They are after all our Big brother, rugby excluded of course I hate those cxxxx. Lol

Christ I wore an England top as a kid. How may English folks wore a Norn Iron top? There is more  love there than you think. Don’t let the angry mob let you think there isn’t.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Antrimsaint said:

Christ I wore an England top as a kid. How may English folks wore a Norn Iron top?

Was always able to flip to mum or dads side.. Scotland England matches were a dilemma but generally Scotland hadn't qualified so the question didn't arise. Watching the "one night in turin" match live in a shitty expat pub in California wasn't a choice.. I was down there with the english crazies.

Last friday was a blue night though..

I wouldn’t get too carried away on Maehle personally. Plenty of players have had great tournaments and gone on to be sh*t for their clubs. El Hadj Diouf, Milan Baros, Karel Poborskiy, don’t forget Roque Junior and Stephane Guivarc’h both started in World Cup final winning teams.

1 hour ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

England v Czech bit of a dead rubber so Scotland v Croatia for me tonight. Besides I'm quarter Croatian plus Che and stu will feature so far more of an appealing watch. Southgate's tactics and line ups are just mind numbing. Madness how boring we are given how much attacking talent we have at our disposal. 

Right with you there, and even more so now that he's going to be giving f******Henderson some game time.

2 hours ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Southgate's tactics and line ups are just mind numbing. Madness how boring we are given how much attacking talent we have at our disposal. 

Not surprising considering his managerial record prior to England is: 12th placed finish - 13th placed finish - 19th placed finish, relegated, sacked.

Edited by aintforever

3 hours ago, CB Fry said:

This

2 hours ago, Antrimsaint said:

As a Norn Iron Ive tried to explain before. Its sibling rivalry. Its always going to be there. England is big brother. Its as simple as that and like that relationship it is love/hate.

we all want to beat England so badly it hurts, more than any other team and, especially rugby/football the modern form of war. It actually does feel like hate when the adrenaline is flowing. I celebrated like a loon when Healy scored and we beat England.

However, when England play anyone else the vast majority of us little brothers are with England. They are after all our Big brother, rugby excluded of course I hate those cxxxx. Lol

Christ I wore an England top as a kid. How may English folks wore a Norn Iron top? There is more  love there than you think. Don’t let the angry mob let you think there isn’t.

Isn't Norn Iron a bit different to Scotland and Wales though because it has such a strong unionist sentiment?

14 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Isn't Norn Iron a bit different to Scotland and Wales though because it has such a strong unionist sentiment?

Not anymore mate, changing rapidly(Brexit) I have always been strongly republican, in the true sense, not Irish sense, but have loved all the nations equally. I truly want the end of the union for a more decentralised union of equal nations. There is a resentment of London as the powerbroker but a s a collection of nations the diversity is its strength. There is a strong unionist tradition in Scotland as well but that’s a divisive trope.

Identity is a strange mutating creature but No matter how much we love our own little patch of grass does not mean we need to denigrate our closet and fondest neighbours. I would much rather all our nations win than Slovakia, Hungary or Poland. Is that weird? 

I don’t get tramps like Muckie wanting Wales to go home ASAP. Just weird?

15 hours ago, JustinSFC said:

So do I.

Quite like Scotland / Northern Ireland and I know it's not UK but really like Ireland too.

But Wales no way, they're horrible bastards, they really are. The animosity towards us in the rugby is real. 

But the Scots love the English of course 😆😆 Talk about pick and choosing

1 hour ago, aintforever said:

Not surprising considering his managerial record prior to England is: 12th placed finish - 13th placed finish - 19th placed finish, relegated, sacked.

Big like Ralph with us then. Can a hipster enlighten us as to whether they were a Good 12th & 13th or bad ones. 

2 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

"Play the footy and have your culture war later" has been aimed at the players a fair bit, I assume you agree with that as well.

Hahaha. Well played, Sir. 1-0. 

Hierarchy of football Support

England (born there)

Mexico (wife)

Wales (Grandparent)

Scotland (because in UK)

N Ireland (because in UK but lets face it smaller country than Scot so less chance)

Ireland (Almost UK and don't we all remember when we became Irish in USA '94)

USA (I live there)

I support these teams in international competitions, if one plays another then the one higher up in the list gets my support. As me sitting in front of the telly makes no difference to the outcome it is probably irrelevant anyway

7 minutes ago, Mystic Force said:

Ireland (Almost UK and don't we all remember when we became Irish in USA '94)

USA (I live there)

in the previous WC in 1990 I was in USA and they were just getting used to football.. You had two choices on watching the games. Either Univision in spanish with two drunk blokes in headphones affectionally known to the expats as "norberto and greavsie" or TNT with the "soccer expert" Mick Luckhurst (the atlanta falcons kicker who was at least english).. We chose to watch the italy-ireland game on TNT..TNT ran commercials *during* the game and after one we came back to an embarrassed Mick saying "you might wonder why the italians are waving their flags, that's cos they just scored".. never saw the goal that day.

They have got a bit better

58 minutes ago, adrian lord said:

I can happily get behind Scotland and both the Ireland sides, but never ever Wales. 

51 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

It's a weird one, I'll always cheer when other home nations do well but laugh my arse off when they do badly. 

One of them isn't a home nation and is a foreign country.

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

Bit like the relationship with Bournemouth IMO. Always want them to do well, but they hate us.

My thoughts. I like Bournemouth, ditto the other home nations. As Antrim says, their issue with us has to be big brother envy. 

33 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

One of them isn't a home nation and is a foreign country.

Given there are infinite universes with infinite planetary configurations there will be at least one occurrence of Ireland being a home nation. 

• Haha 1