The Euro2020 Thread

Saint Garrett

17 hours ago, whelk said:

Glad to see away goals rule bollocks has gone. Always annoyed me that.

Sadly a rule that will never affect us though :( 

MLG Note: *very rarely impact us, we hardly qualify for Europe

Edited by nta786

52 minutes ago, nta786 said:

Sadly a rule that will never affect us though :( 

MLG Note: *very rarely impact us, we hardly qualify for Europe

What about if we were to get relegated, sneak into the playoffs and score more goals away than at home but still go out on penalties... 😔

MLG Note: *Not Europe, whatever I sorry I ruined the party

Edited by Ted Bates Statue
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

What about if we were to get relegated, sneak into the playoffs and score more goals away than at home but still go out on penalties... 😔

Do they use away goals in the Play offs? Memory may be wrong, but Isn’t that why we went to ET / Penalties rather than through back in 2007.

2 minutes ago, SKD said:

Do they use away goals in the Play offs? Memory may be wrong, but Isn’t that why we went to ET / Penalties rather than through back in 2007.

I don’t think they did have it, we lost the home game 1-2 then won 3-2 away at the end normal and extra time so went to pen. Away goals rule we win. 

Edited by Turkish

Didn’t they bring the rule in originally because many away teams always parked the bus and it was supposed to encourage them to attack? Glad to see the change which I always thought was grossly unfair. A goal should be worth a goal, plain and simple.

5 hours ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

The change is only for European competitions not domestic ones.

25 minutes ago, whelk said:

So typical of FA to announce an extension to Southgate’s contract. How about seeing how the dullard does against Germany first eh?

They have not announced an extension to his contract.

Bullingham expects to hold "formal conversations" with Southgate over his contract after Euro 2020.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57618624

45 minutes ago, whelk said:

So typical of FA to announce an extension to Southgate’s contract. How about seeing how the dullard does against Germany first eh?

Even FA should be sure that it is a sure win against Germany.

On 24/06/2021 at 17:56, egg said:

Yep, good change. Has to lead to more open games. 

I don’t know. I always felt the away team would go for an away goal. I think the away team will now always play for a clean sheet and get them back home before opening up. We’ll wait and see but could be a recipe for dull defensive football.

27 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Yep, it was why it was created in the first place. Just making Europe football more sterile than it is already. Will find out soon enough.

But in reality did not work. Home sides just as likely to hope not to concede an away goal and set up accordingly so did not have desired effect. A goal is a goal and if over two legs both sides have scored the same amount,  one side has not achieved victory over the other. 

3 hours ago, whelk said:

Yep. Another 4 years of no success. 

Southgate is the perfect fit for the FA though. 

4 minutes ago, SKD said:

Yep. Another 4 years of no success. 

Southgate is the perfect fit for the FA though. 

Semifinal in a world cup and I reckon a good chance in this one. England haven’t got out of third gear yet. Bubbling along nicely. 

39 minutes ago, Antrimsaint said:

Semifinal in a world cup and I reckon a good chance in this one. England haven’t got out of third gear yet. Bubbling along nicely. 

4th place doesn’t represent success to me, but so so. 

12 minutes ago, SKD said:

4th place doesn’t represent success to me, but so so. 

Ok, but its as good  as 96, little success since then so its relative. England are a second tier European nation in football terms. Id say Semi finals are its level in a good  tournament. With home advantage it could go to the final so Id say this is the best chance fir a while. If Southgate gets you to another semi or final he deserves to  have a knighthood 

Calamity from Neco Williams.

I was asking the other day what exactly people who think we should sign him rate about him - looks a poor player to me.

Just because someone's not good enough for Liverpool doesn't mean they're good enough for us.

12 minutes ago, Antrimsaint said:

Getting the same feeling as Scotland  v Croatia with this game. The Danes look a good outfit.

I think people underestimate a little bit how good an achievement it was for us to win our group without conceding.

Although we’re on the ‘easy’ side of the draw, I don’t think that Germany are necessarily the biggest obstacle before the final. They’re certainly capable of having a terrible game at the moment, at least.

• Like 1