The Euro2020 Thread

Saint Garrett

Quite sure that England will do that on Tuesday. Lost my trust in Jogi several years ago as I think he will let the team play the same tactics as before and (even) Southgate will have a countermeasure (which is not hart to find out about).  

• Like 1

Apart from us, the Dutch are probably the biggest bottlers in my lifetime. Obviously, they won ‘88, but they were far and away the best side in ‘74 and somehow contrived to lose the final and ‘78 they were as good as the Argies. The players and sides they’ve produced, they keep losing games they should win. 

Just now, Jimmy_D said:

Belgium-Portugal really difficult to call.

I’m going Portugal but it’ll likely come down to individual moments of brilliance on either side.

On paper Belgium look so good, but I think you can get at their defence, they’re just slightly over the hill. 

34 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

I think I want the Dutch to win.

I'm worried a Czech win makes our side of the draw to the semis look too open, easy, winnable, etc. "Best chance we'd ever have" etc.

Which is a cast iron guarantee we'd fuck up on Tuesday.

And shit they’ve scored. 

This. A decent run to the final at stake if we beat the Germans, just like our FA Cup run of 2003 once we'd spanked Spurs.

11 hours ago, Turkish said:

Indeed. Every game seems to have an endless supply of stunners apart from the England games which has focused on two fat birds waving a flag with the queen on it. Never see these sort of ladies at St Mary’s. 

Oi, my missus accompanies me to St Mary's and she's..... nah you're right. 😜

44 minutes ago, LenPa said:

Quite sure that England will do that on Tuesday. Lost my trust in Jogi several years ago as I think he will let the team play the same tactics as before and (even) Southgate will have a countermeasure (which is not hart to find out about).  

Our countermeasure is using Joe Hart? Well that's us fucked then. 😉

34 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

Belgium-Portugal really difficult to call.

I’m going Portugal but it’ll likely come down to individual moments of brilliance on either side.

Belgium for me, but it really could go either way. De Bruyne and Hazard have a good chance to cement themselves as some of the best in the world - and the Belgium squad isn't getting any younger. This is their golden generation and it's now or bust I reckon.

See above for my comments.

Also I'm surprised by the Netherlands defeat but not since their best defender got sent off. What the hell was he doing handling the ball? I've seen players do it the second after they've been fouled before but you play to the whistle, I can only assume he thought he'd been fouled and was trying to stop the ball quickly. Czechs are beatable though and I think a rejuvenated Denmark will do them.

Edited by SNSUN

4 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

Fair to say it’s another finely balanced game we’ve got here

Neither look like anything to worry about should we get them in the final, though. 

Winner of our game Tuesday plays France in the final for me. 

1 hour ago, SNSUN said:

See above for my comments.

Also I'm surprised by the Netherlands defeat but not since their best defender got sent off. What the hell was he doing handling the ball? I've seen players do it the second after they've been fouled before but you play to the whistle, I can only assume he thought he'd been fouled and was trying to stop the ball quickly. Czechs are beatable though and I think a rejuvenated Denmark will do them.

Czechs are beatable? Yeah we bloody beat them already.

Denmark might just get better although won’t get carried away turning over Wales

Yaaawn

14 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

Skate Matterface as perceptive as usual:

"Don't write Portugal off" he said in the 50th minute.

Fancy that- a team  1 nil down may not lose as there are still 40 minutes to play. Who would have thought that.

Trying to talk up a disappointing game I guess?

Thought Belgium were surprisingly poor. Spent the whole second half just hoofing the ball long. No plan or patterns of play - the midfield disappeared completely.

Don't see them troubling Italy too much. Yes, they were bang average against Austria, but at least they continued to play football and vaguely looked like a coherent outfit.

Belgium were a rabble tonight.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Turkish said:

So one of the semi finalists in our half of the draw will have finished 3rd or qualified with 3 points. 

I can see Denmark getting to the final, "did it for Christian Eriksen" etc 

9 hours ago, OttawaSaint said:

Lukaku is such a group stage player. Once it gets to knockout stages he just seizes up and can’t get anything going.

Not sure I agree with this at all. He was a brilliant out ball for Belgium, held it up, laid it off or turned and ran with the ball.

Was really good last night in a game where chances were very limited.

• Like 1