The Euro2020 Thread

Saint Garrett

Amazing. Fair play Switzerland, love to see an underdog story.

France, bar 30 mins in the 2nd half, just didn't show up. They didn't seem much of a team though.

I don't even want to call tomorrow. Although I don't think I could deal with an evening like tonight again.

Can I just say this tournament deserved more hype here. I don’t know if anyone agrees but up here in Liverpool Im really disappointed at the lack of flags on houses and cars.

I don’t know if its covid or what but I don’t get the same national euphoria around the place. Is it the same around the country?

5 minutes ago, Antrimsaint said:

Can I just say this tournament deserved more hype here. I don’t know if anyone agrees but up here in Liverpool Im really disappointed at the lack of flags on houses and cars.

I don’t know if its covid or what but I don’t get the same national euphoria around the place. Is it the same around the country?

Pretty much. Maybe everyones feeling a bit worn down in general. One guy, who always has the flag flying football wise, is cracking on as normal but nowhere near as many in my town. As for cars and flags, I can't say I've seen one.

3 minutes ago, Dry Toast said:

Pretty much. Maybe everyones feeling a bit worn down in general. One guy, who always has the flag flying football wise, is cracking on as normal but nowhere near as many in my town. As for cars and flags, I can't say I've seen one.

Not just here then. Definitely not the hype for an England Germany game of old. I hope it picks up. It would do the country good. Just don’t want the politicians hijacking it

1 minute ago, Kingsland Codger said:

A thrilling game very well overseen by the Argentinian referee who was superb.

The refereeing and use of VAR has shown up the PL massively, imo.

You don't even talk about VAR in these games, yet in the PL season you speak about it 4 or 5 times a match day. 

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

The refereeing and use of VAR has shown up the PL massively, imo.

You don't even talk about VAR in these games, yet in the PL season you speak about it 4 or 5 times a match day. 

👏 very good post. Totally agree. Still against it on principle but they certainly make it work well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Antrimsaint said:

👏 very good post. Totally agree. Still against it on principle but they certainly make it work well.

Just shows VaR is not the problem but it is the rules of PL and the standard of PL referees which are diabolical.

I seriously think we should look into employing foreign referees. If we recruit the best foreign players why not do the same with referees?

I m tired of seeing Moss, Friend, Dean... week in week out make the same atrocious  decisions.

• Like 5

Just now, LiberalCommunist said:

Hope we don't freeze in the headlamps tomorrow. We have a great chance to create some amazing history. 

Lose and the Domino pizza adverts will start spamming. 

This tournament has a Denmark, Greece vibe of  old. Its the team gaining momentum who is going to get this. So good seeing TEAMS going through rather than groups of primadonnas. 

Never seen Switzerland play a better competitive game of football. 
Todays football have rivalled the Germany Brazil 7-1 game for jaw dropping.

Great entertainment.

6 minutes ago, LiberalCommunist said:

Hope we don't freeze in the headlamps tomorrow. We have a great chance to create some amazing history. 

Lose and the Domino pizza adverts will start spamming. 

I don't like to talk about it too much but if we get past Germany we really would be favourites to make the final. Even then with France out it's likely to be one of Belgium, Italy or Spain. 

Was that the best night of football ever? Went down the local bar at 5pm intending to go home for dinner at 645pm. One thing led to another and end up still there gone 1030pm after two incredible matches.

Boring 1-0 win for England tmrw pls.

6 hours ago, SaintBobby said:

Was that the best night of football ever? Went down the local bar at 5pm intending to go home for dinner at 645pm. One thing led to another and end up still there gone 1030pm after two incredible matches.

Boring 1-0 win for England tmrw pls.

There is a tendency to hype. Saw people Twitter claiming best game ever. Yeah if you have attention span and memory of a gnat then yeah.

54 minutes ago, whelk said:

There is a tendency to hype. Saw people Twitter claiming best game ever. Yeah if you have attention span and memory of a gnat then yeah.

I don’t think either was the best game ever. But both games were amazingly good and I count them both as contributing to a night of football.

8 hours ago, Antrimsaint said:

Rooting for Sommer here. Didn’t he play for us once. I might be remembering that wrong

The only time I can remember seeing him play at St Mary's was for for Borussia Mönchengladbach in a pre-season friendly, when they beat us 3-0 in 2018. He was subbed but so was the rest of the team. He has been superb for both club and country but perhaps because he plays for less fashionable teams, he hasn't got the recognition he deserves as one of the world's best goalkeepers.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

In this tournament he's looked like a grossly overpaid version of Shane Long. His finishing has been so poor that we expected him to miss that penalty. 

He's not been great but he is an incredible player. Also he didn't miss the penalty, the keeper saved it. Not as if he booted it over or anything.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Antrimsaint said:

Not just here then. Definitely not the hype for an England Germany game of old. I hope it picks up. It would do the country good. Just don’t want the politicians hijacking it

So kneeling at the beginning isnt political?......... and we are still one of the only countries to still do it.

• Like 2