The Euro2020 Thread

Saint Garrett

Just now, Baird of the land said:

Not a red(though utterly cynical). Don't agree but in past i've heard commentators complain there should be harsher punishment for cynical fouls

I’ve always thought that should be a red since the Son at Everton incident . Absolutely no interest in playing the ball and there’s always a possibility, however small, of injury. No need for it. 

9 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Careful Antrim will call the police 

That really got under your skin didn’t it. Consequences of your actions is obviously not something you are used to.

Notice you haven’t called me a “Mick” since. 

Try and support all the nations of the union while it lasts as you’ll miss us when we’re gone.

Bravo Wales btw. Just came up against a side with momentum.

Wales were poor but Denmark look very good. They have some decent young attacking talent, even without Erikson pulling the strings. Surprise package?

Oh goody, now we get to watch Italy smash Austria as I watch my £5 work sweepstake float away like a depressed butterfly.

Really poor game from Wales, but I can excuse the Welsh commentators/fans for being positive. On paper they are not a good side at all and before the last euros they hadn't qualified at all in the 56 years the competition was running. They may have done very well in 2016 but they are still a team where qualification is an achievement so making the knockouts is a good result. 

The last game was poor but I think they can still be proud of what they have achieved. 

Edited by TWar
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

Who’d have thought, you can use VAR to uphold borderline goals and keep the games exciting. Much better than the ‘how can we take this off them’ approach of the Premier League.

Not really though - the offside was given by the linesman at the time, which looked correct. VAR took an absolute age to then overrule a marginal decision, to give a 4th goal in a 4-0 defeat in the 94th minute. Hardly an effective example of VAR in action. 

7 minutes ago, TWar said:

Really poor game from Wales, but I can excuse the Welsh commentators/fans for being positive. 

They can be as positive as they like, to be proud of your country is a commendable value to have. However, it has no place in punditry or commentary. We used to laugh at the South Americans & Latin Europeans for their biased and ridiculous nationalist commentary, but now we’re just as bad. You can’t listen or watch without pundits personal support becoming obvious. Both domestically & internationally, and it’s unprofessional.  

21 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Not really though - the offside was given by the linesman at the time, which looked correct. VAR took an absolute age to then overrule a marginal decision, to give a 4th goal in a 4-0 defeat in the 94th minute. Hardly an effective example of VAR in action. 

Well I’m glad we’re seeing goals given rather than taken away. The use of the thicker lines is a winner for me.

31 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

And also, if they can't decide in slow-mo on a screen within 2 minutes whether he was off or not, give it.  It's a goal...

26 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

Well I’m glad we’re seeing goals given rather than taken away. The use of the thicker lines is a winner for me.

Interesting how the goal was allowed even though his arm was offside but his feet were onside. Seen quite a few disallowed for that  in the premier league this season 

Just now, Baird of the land said:

After all the group stage attacking, Italy have really reverted to just diving.

They've been pedestrian in the second half so far, but then this is the first time they've looked like that in the tournament.

Austria were so bad in their last game I thought this would be a comfortable 3-0 for Italy.

2 minutes ago, The Cat said:

They've been pedestrian in the second half so far, but then this is the first time they've looked like that in the tournament.

Austria were so bad in their last game I thought this would be a comfortable 3-0 for Italy.

Thought Austria were good in their last game. Made Ukraine look poor. Still expected it to be comfortable for Italy.

1 minute ago, Baird of the land said:

Thought Austria were good in their last game. Made Ukraine look poor. Still expected it to be comfortable for Italy.

Oh shit, I thought the Netherlands was their last game. Oops! Forgot about the Ukraine one.