Jose Fonte

stevy777_x

Loved Fonte, so pleased for the success he had at Lille.

I think he will end up back in Portugal where it all started and then retire. He wouldn't be able to deal with the PL anymore sadly.

I'd definitely take him back as a coach if he retires though.

Edited by S-Clarke

13 minutes ago, niceandfriendly said:

Just won the French league, not passed it yet. Free agent? Get him back and keep him around the place forever.

Did you miss his West Ham performances?

Jimmy Case is free he is a leader let’s bring him back too we dont have a pot to piss in yet you think we should waste what we have on has beens?

Edited by Give it to Ron
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/23632413.jose-fonte-open-southampton-return-club-considers-options/

Interesting.  When I first read it I assumed on the coaching staff but apparently interested a in returning as a player.  Or are the Echo simply putting something out there as it's a quiet sports day in our area.

Edited by 64saint
  • Like 2

I'm all for it. We've been conditioned at this club to believe anything over 28 is over the hill. Other clubs have players that do a job well into their 30s. 

Wouldn't want him AND Evans though, as that would mean needing to replace them both should we get promoted. I'd rather sign one of them alongside Salisu or ABK. 

21 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

I'm all for it. We've been conditioned at this club to believe anything over 28 is over the hill. Other clubs have players that do a job well into their 30s. 

Wouldn't want him AND Evans though, as that would mean needing to replace them both should we get promoted. I'd rather sign one of them alongside Salisu or ABK. 

Salisu and ABK are leaving. 

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

Both Fonte and Evans would be good signings. 

Would love to have Fonte back, he's still playing at a high level at Lille and looks in great shape. Brings a shed load of experience both in the championship and as a winner. Last season we were crying out for an experienced leader at the back, especially with such a young goalkeeper, we needed an experienced leader in there. It could also be the case of training to eventually move into a coaching/managerial role here. 

A big, powerful, but maybe slightly slow, dominant ball winner might be a good starting point. Obviously they need to be able to play a bit, but let's get the absolute centre back basics right. Who is the modern day Radhi Jaidi we can bring in? Is that effectively Fonte?

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

I have a feeling morgan is also available this window... 

He is also without a current club. I'm always one that says don't go back but the combined experienced heads of Morgan and Fonte alongside 8 youngsters and JWP (cos I still don't think anyone woth joining will want him)  could be a season to remember.

Edited by Wurzel
Can't count

4 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I think it’s a bad idea and I hope it’s not true. If he hadn’t played for us before, nobody would be suggesting this would be a good move.

He is older than our preference, however he played 31 times in Ligue 1 last season in a team which finished 5th. Won the league as captain a couple years before. I don't see any reason why he can't play the departing Lyanco role of say around 20 games. Add this to our desperate need for a leader and this dosen't look too bad.

Think it would be a cracking idea, having someone like him to lead the players if Prowse does go, especially given Theo and Moi went. We have minimal experience, and he would be a huge influence behind the scenes holding standards IMO. And still good enough to be at least a bit part player in the Champ next season. 

• Like 3

31/38 appearances last year in a team that came 5th.

38/38 appearances in 21/22 in a team that came 10th.

36/38 appearances in 20/21 in a team that came 1st.

Combine this with the fact that he won't cost any money, knows the club and can provide experience/captaincy to a relatively young squad. It's a legitimate no brainer.

• Like 2

Head over heart, it’s a no from me. 

I also don’t see why Martin would want him around anyway. He needs to hit the ground running without a  popular older player in the back ground. A couple of bad results and the Jose for manager talk will start. As someone posted earlier, if he hadn’t played for us  we’d be saying no thanks.

5 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I also don’t see why Martin would want him around anyway. He needs to hit the ground running without a  popular older player in the back ground. A couple of bad results and the Jose for manager talk will start. As someone posted earlier, if he hadn’t played for us  we’d be saying no thanks.

Exactly why waste wages on a 39year old? Didn’t we learn anything from Walcott?

44 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Would add valuable experience to the squad, get it done.

This is going to be like what everyone was saying about Walcott for three years, even though it’s quite obviously not true. You can get players with valuable experience who are ten years younger and have played Championship football 11 weeks ago, rather than 11 years. We came up through the leagues last time with Dean Hammond, an experienced leader who was actually good enough and young enough to play for us every week, despite having never played for us before.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Our second best player in the second half of last season you mean?

That’s like being England’s second best batsman. Walcott was awful for almost his entire three years back here. He scored two goals last season and none the year before. Between him and Long it astonishes me just how low Saints fans collective expectations have fallen. At any other club, 8-10 goals a season would be a reasonable return for an attacking player. For us, if you make a 20 minute sub appearance, look like you’re trying hard and make a couple of good runs into the box, people are clamouring to offer you another year contract extension.

The fact that he’s ended up at Reading, a basket case in League 1, rather than another Prem club, should tell you everything you need to know about him.

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

This stands out a mile doesn't it?

Both Terry Paine and Jimmy Case were touted as replacements for their existing managers. Neither succeeded to the role, and in many ways their presence/absence continued to haunt the eventual successor.

I think Fonte is older than Martin as well. 

1 hour ago, Badger said:

This stands out a mile doesn't it?

Both Terry Paine and Jimmy Case were touted as replacements for their existing managers. Neither succeeded to the role, and in many ways their presence/absence continued to haunt the eventual successor.

I think Fonte is older than Martin as well. 

Tommy Wridd’s equally as poor managerially speaking. 

There's not a great deal of long-term thinking on the playing side if it happens, but this squad and dressing room as a whole is crying out for leadership and direction. Even if he doesn't play every week, his influence off of the pitch will be absolutely priceless. 

He was part of the best team I've ever supported and his amazing leadership was one of the reasons we did so well. I'm not looking at this as him being a 46 game a season guy, but his influence around the place in an environment full of kids is an obvious win for me.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

You do realise that’s not much of a compliment don’t you? Bit like the second funniest German, second most interesting Belgian or second prettiest Skate bird. 

That's a fair point but he DID contribute more than most this season.

Not to mention his work off the field. 

Edited by Bad Wolf