Other Games 21/22

whelk

Wolves upset that Man U didn’t kick ball out. But why should they, no foul, Neves had about the slowest reaction to being hurt, wasn’t a head injury.

Teams are trying to win games and not be nice and make friends.

Edited by OttawaSaint

If our equalising goal last Sunday has been put down to a Fred own goal, how the Hell has Greenwood been credited with Utd's winning goal today? His shot was going wide before Sa got a hand to it and deflected into his own net.

As for the 'foul' leading to it: Neves was perfectly fine until he saw Dean wasn't going blow when he then, rather dramatically, threw himself to the floor  in an attempt to convince the ref otherwise. Quite rightly, Dean wasn't having any of it. That sort of behaviour needs to be eradicated.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Minsk said:

If our equalising goal last Sunday has been put down to a Fred own goal, how the Hell has Greenwood been credited with Utd's winning goal today? His shot was going wide before Sa got a hand to it and deflected into his own net.

Yeh wondered the same, it was a clear cross and took a big deviation to go into the goal. 

39 minutes ago, Minsk said:

As for the 'foul' leading to it: Neves was perfectly fine until he saw Dean wasn't going blow when he then, rather dramatically, threw himself to the floor  in an attempt to convince the ref otherwise. Quite rightly, Dean wasn't having any of it. That sort of behaviour needs to be eradicated.

It was a dangerous foul.

Screenshot_20210829-212039.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

It was a dangerous foul.

Screenshot_20210829-212039.jpg

Quite. Not only that but you could clearly see the shin pad move on the replays, plus, if Pogba’s foot was a couple more inches over it would have put Neves out for a while. 

Just watching Pogba barely celebrate after Greenwood scored tells you everything. He was expecting VAR to overrule it, which they should have done. 

Edited by Raging Bull

People citing Neves going down and using it to justify it not being a foul is why players dive around so much. Neves knew he wasn’t getting a free kick without going down, but he left it too late. It was a foul, a bad tackle, and had he gone down immediately he’d have got it. Poor refereeing but not a surprise. I look forward to every manager in the league being asked about it this week, and Sky replaying it five times per hour every day.

1 minute ago, saintwbu said:

People citing Neves going down and using it to justify it not being a foul is why players dive around so much. Neves knew he wasn’t getting a free kick without going down, but he left it too late. It was a foul, a bad tackle, and had he gone down immediately he’d have got it. Poor refereeing but not a surprise. I look forward to every manager in the league being asked about it this week, and Sky replaying it five times per hour every day.

He wasn’t that late. He was caught on the ankle, took a couple of hops and then went down. It was an obvious foul and should have been given.

You know they usually say it looks worse on the replay, well to me this one was the other way round, in real time I thought it looked really bad, but then Sky just seemed to focus on his delayed reaction and not the actual contact. 

That’s not a foul, the still frame doesn’t do that justice. Watch the video, his toe barely flicks Neves’ shin pad. Neves sets off after the ball absolutely fine, not even a hobble, then when he sees the ball’s gone straight to Varane, he looks round at the ref and collapses in a heap. I’m not exactly one to side with United and Pogba but Wolves can’t complain about that.

4 hours ago, niceandfriendly said:

Pogba brushed his shinpad. It's more of a foul than the Stephens one was, but that's still not a foul.

Studs out, straight leg, moving at pace. An inch to the right and it could have been a serious injury and a definite red card. The shin pad was twisted right round to the side. Dangerous and should be stamped out, if that’s the right word.

There doesn’t even  have to be contact for it to be a foul, but in this case there was.

17 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Studs out, straight leg, moving at pace. An inch to the right and it could have been a serious injury and a definite red card. The shin pad was twisted right round to the side. Dangerous and should be stamped out, if that’s the right word.

There doesn’t even  have to be contact for it to be a foul, but in this case there was.

I hate finding myself defending a Man Utd player, so I'll agree to change my mind on this one. Ban the f*cker! ;)

Just watched it back again, hadn't seen it since the original incident. Fair enough ok it was a foul but nothing more IMO.

Edited by niceandfriendly
  • Like 1

As MOTD2 pointed out, Mike Dean winces when he sees it, so how he hasn't given that is beyond me, and Pogba even said it could have been a red, its definitely a foul and probably a yellow. Makes no sense that he wasn't asked to go look at it again. 

• Like 1

My original comment on the foul was based on watching it once without any commentary. Watching it back on MotD2 it does look more like a foul.

That said, I honestly don't believe it effected Neves that badly and he clearly did throw himself to the ground only when he realised Dean wasn't going to blow for the foul. When I used to play I always told to play to the whistle, and I certainly never went down without a fucking good reason (although, in reality, it was usually me taking others out). Maybe, had Neves stayed on his feet and tried to get back to defend his team mates would have been positioned better to cope with the threat?

In any event had the keeper left the ball, and not diverted it into his own net, there wouldn't have been a goal in the first place. The shot was going well wide.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tajjuk said:

As MOTD2 pointed out, Mike Dean winces when he sees it

It's more than possible to wince in anticipation of something unpleasant happening, even if it doesn't necessarily come to pass. I do it every time Shane Long shapes to shoot.

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Kingsland Codger said:

Given that some on here see the Pogba/Neves incident as a clear foul and others as no foul at all, the only thing one can conclude is how difficult it must be to referee a football match. 

It’s not that difficult. I can do it quite easily from the comfort of my armchair.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, whelk said:

Do they not let you into a Denmark game unless you’re wearing colours? Every bleeding fan in a shirt 

I was on holiday in south of Spain with some pals a couple of years ago and we went to Gib for the day when Gib played Denmark, just watched the game from a bar. I would say 99% of the Denmark fans there were wearing colours. They got absolutely bladdered, caused zero trouble at all, and were great to just be amongst in the bars before the game. Great, great fans.

Edited by The Kraken
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

That bloke who just signed for United looks quite handy.

He is an absolute freak isn't he. He hangs in the air and manages to get so much power on his headers. That's one element of his game that has evolved, he is a huge aerial threat. I'm sure Jack Stephens will have it covered though.

• Haha 3

He is insane, only needs 15 more caps and he'll be the most capped men's player of all time and if he plays most of this season he'll over take Roberto Carlos for the most appearances by an outfield player and he's done pretty much all of it at the highest level. 

4 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

He is insane, only needs 15 more caps and he'll be the most capped men's player of all time and if he plays most of this season he'll over take Roberto Carlos for the most appearances by an outfield player and he's done pretty much all of it at the highest level. 

The parallel universe of MLT, where his talent got proper international recognition...

... and where burgers are a health superfood.

2 hours ago, tajjuk said:

I reckon he will play into his 40s unless he gets a major injury.

7 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I've only just tuned into the game, but given the timing of this post, and the political status of Hungary, I think I can guess what you are alluding to.

Put it this way SKD and Turkish would have loved the response to taking the knee. Best effort yet

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I've only just tuned into the game, but given the timing of this post, and the political status of Hungary, I think I can guess what you are alluding to.

A wonderful country with people that have bern through tremendous oppression over the years. A bit of tolerance would be nice rather than arrogant, judgemental posturing 

• Confused 1