Other Games 21/22

whelk

I know football started before the Premier League, but I thought 58 goals to become West Ham's all-time highest Premier League goal scorer was quite low. So, I checked ours. Le Tissier (101) and Beattie (68) were the only two to better that. Our current highest is JWP on 30 league goals, with Long on 27 and Redmond on 20.

West Ham don't mess around do they, they just get up the field as quick as they can. Either down the flanks, long ball, or just direct running.

They've got the power and presence to be very effective at that. They are your typical Moyes team, he's got his new Everton.

Just now, S-Clarke said:

West Ham don't mess around do they, they just get up the field as quick as they can. Either down the flanks, long ball, or just direct running.

They've got the power and presence to be very effective at that. They are your typical Moyes team, he's got his new Everton.

Yep. Nothing complicated at all, just get the ball and men up the field, ball into the box, runners supporting. Lots of pace and power in the team though, and a fair bit of skill. They're a decent team, and very well drilled. They'll surprise a few this season. 

7 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I remember when David Moyes was scoffed at as being a manager for us. Proving again he’s a very capable manager. They will steam roller teams, very powerful

23 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Think they have a lot more skill than you seem to be giving them credit for. They have the right blend of power, pace and skill from what I've seen.

20 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Think they have a lot more skill than you seem to be giving them credit for. They have the right blend of power, pace and skill from what I've seen.

I wasn't discrediting them by saying they are just long ball or anything like that, I just like the way they don't muck around and they literally just go for the throats.

They do have skill, but they have a lot of pace and power which makes them impossible to deal with if they're on their game. When they are without Antonio and they have no focal point they'll struggle though.

40 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I wasn't discrediting them by saying they are just long ball or anything like that, I just like the way they don't muck around and they literally just go for the throats.

They do have skill, but they have a lot of pace and power which makes them impossible to deal with if they're on their game. When they are without Antonio and they have no focal point they'll struggle though.

Antonio certainly one the Club erred in letting go.    Les Read decision?

1 hour ago, austsaint said:

Antonio certainly one the Club erred in letting go.    Les Read decision?

He's scored 1 in 3 in his 6 years with West Ham. 12 a season if he stays fit. Not huge.

I think he's getting great service right now with Coufal/Cresswell getting forward, Benrahma looks great, Soucek always bombs forward and draws defenders. West Ham really overload the box.

Europe will hurt them if they take it serious, no way Antonio can play both. We play them just before Europa League starts.

1 hour ago, Ultimatt said:

He's scored 1 in 3 in his 6 years with West Ham. 12 a season if he stays fit. Not huge.

I think he's getting great service right now with Coufal/Cresswell getting forward, Benrahma looks great, Soucek always bombs forward and draws defenders. West Ham really overload the box.

Europe will hurt them if they take it serious, no way Antonio can play both. We play them just before Europa League starts.

Not huge numbers then - I'd be interested in his assist numbers though; my imperfect memory tells me he has played wide right in many of those seasons since leaving Saints and been responsible for bombing down the flanks bringing others into the game.   He has always turned it on against Saints more often than not.

Soucek has been one of the best signings anyone has made in the past couple of seasons. Links the team together well while quietly going about his business. Every time I've watched him he has put in an 8/10 performance.

Excellent player.

1 hour ago, austsaint said:

Is that right?  Thanks for clearing that up.

Yeah i’m sure they decided to keep him because he did so well for us, but within a season he was gone (Sheffield Wednesday maybe?) - He’s had a long and winding road to the top, but seems like a top bloke and is a bloody good player. Will always hold a soft spot for him after that season for us, he was great, and his goal at Wembley was absolutely superb.

• Like 1

Cedric playing them onside for City's 4th goal.

Steve McManaman ripping into Cedric in the first half when he got into a good attacking position where he should have whipped a cross in... what does Cedric do... pass it backwards haha

This has been good entertainment 

6 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Thought it was a penalty for liverpool but felt there was an element of doubt whether it was deliberate, so red was maybe harsh

I think that is some home reffing right there. The pen is not clear cut imo, I mean it cleary hits his leg first and goes up onto his hand, so seems a bit harsh to me, feel like he's not giving that the other end. 

Edited by tajjuk

On 23/08/2021 at 22:38, S-Clarke said:

We're going to struggle to contain them the way they attack, bloody ex-Saint Antonio will enjoy the space. 

On 24/08/2021 at 09:33, austsaint said:

Is that right?  Thanks for clearing that up.

Further to that earlier reply - his contract was running down at Reading, we made an offer, but as has been said his performances for us saw Reading say no and offer him a new better contract. They were Championship we were league One, he was a young man easily influenced I guess. I know at the time we were said to have done all we could, understandably Cortese wasn’t prepared to have his pants pulled down by Reading. - As an aside if Pardew was pushing the agenda to get Antonio in, he was living on borrowed time off the back of the JPT. Apparently Markus was not impressed that we seemingly took our foot off the gas after winning that.

• Like 1