Other Games 21/22

whelk

1 minute ago, HarvSFC said:

The ref didn’t give it as a foul. Red card on review. A red due to the injury caused? 

That rule needs to change, maybe an enforced sub of the player involved. I’ve watched it a few times, only at full speed and zoomed out but it didn’t even look like a foul. Just an unfortunate clash of legs as they both went in.

5 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Poor start to the season by Leeds, wonder if they will have second season syndrome?. Drew with Burnley, drew with Everton at home, trashed by Utd and comfortably beaten by pool at home. 

Not a poor start at all 2 draws in tough games and lost two games you’d expect them to lose. 

13 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I see on the sky sports app they’ve moved the women’s premier league as the next tab next to the men’s, ahead of the championship. They are desperate for it to be popular aren’t they 

Or, it is the leading woman's league, placed ahead of the 2nd Tier men’s league. Is it really that much of an issue for you?

And why not indeed, I mean why shouldn’t it be promoted heavily, men aren’t the only gender to play sport.

The reasons and benefits are pretty obvious to those that aren’t, let say, as apparently misogynistic as others.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Or, it is the leading woman's league, placed ahead of the 2nd Tier men’s league. Is it really that much of an issue for you?

And why not indeed, I mean why shouldn’t it be promoted heavily, men aren’t the only gender to play sport.

The reasons and benefits are pretty obvious to those that aren’t, let say, as apparently misogynistic as others.

Personally I think they should let you choose what order you want the leagues in. It is annoying that I have to scroll through a load of noddy leagues instead of the league or the competition that I actually want to look at. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Why would it be ahead of the 2nd tier men’s league? What are the reasons and benefits? 2,300 fans watched Chelsea v Everton in the women’s league yesterday. My local league two club had a bigger crowd than that. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Personally I think they should let you choose what order you want the leagues in. It is annoying that I have to scroll through a load of noddy leagues instead of the league or the competition that I actually want to look at. 

That is a fairly big UI upgrade.

I dont mind it at all, I dont think that males should have preference over where stuff is found, all sport is as important as others.

I dont watch much womans football, but i do prefer womans tennis as the rallies go on longer.

But it doesn’t bother me so much if womans football top division is the tab before the 2nd men’s league - i just simply look through till i find what it is I’m looking for - i found it a weird thing got post.

2 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

I dont mind it at all, I dont think that males should have preference over where stuff is found, all sport is as important as others.

I dont watch much womans football, but i do prefer womans tennis as the rallies go on longer.

But it doesn’t bother me so much if womans football top division is the tab before the 2nd men’s league - i just simply look through till i find what it is I’m looking for - i found it a weird thing got post.

It doesn’t bother me. I was simply making the point of how desperate they are to promote. It was you who got all upset going on about misogyny. Which is a weird thing post. 

Just now, Turkish said:

Why would it be ahead of the 2nd tier men’s league? What are the reasons and benefits? 2,300 fans watched Chelsea v Everton in the women’s league yesterday. My local league two club had a bigger crowd than that. 

You appear to have an issue with lots of things that perhaps aren’t that important, certainly not important in my life.

It appears from what you wrote, they are doing the leagues in order of highest to lowest - surely you can work that out?

For the womans football game to develop, it needs promoting. Something that has been vastly one sided in favour of men for decades and decades.

If you cant think fo the benefits of this, then I simply cant help you, but you do appear to have an agenda against certain things, i just cant work out if you really do feel this way.

Your earlier comment raising this issue is in my opinion, somewhat mysoginistic, again if you cant work out why, I cant help you.

Keep an eye on Leeds. Lots of good quality players going forward, but their suicidal approach to defence is a relegation waiting to happen if their attacking production falters.

Second best to every ball against Liverpool. As they were against Man United. Not ideal when you essentially defend one vs one.

Could be dark horses for the drop.

7 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Maybe it should be in the little things that annoy me thread. It's not the most irritating thing in the world but when I'm checking the live scores multiple times during a match day then really ill be checking the top four leagues and then maybe Eastleigh. I don't really want the women's league sandwiched in there for the same reason I don't want the Polish or Hungarian leagues. I have no interest. 

Just now, hypochondriac said:

Maybe it should be in the little things that annoy me thread. It's not the most irritating thing in the world but when I'm checking the live scores multiple times during a match day then really ill be checking the top four leagues and then maybe Eastleigh. I don't really want the women's league sandwiched in there for the same reason I don't want the Polish or Hungarian leagues. I have no interest. 

Yeah i get that Hyper, and it is very possible to do, to upgrade the way we chose to interact, and I guess if the powers that be with this can make some money out of it, then they will change it, if not, i doubt they will.

5 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

Keep an eye on Leeds. Lots of good quality players going forward, but their suicidal approach to defence is a relegation waiting to happen if their attacking production falters.

Second best to every ball against Liverpool. As they were against Man United. Not ideal when you essentially defend one vs one.

Could be dark horses for the drop.

Hear what you say, but I think the general view is that Bielsa has a bit too much about him and will adjust his sides and selections as circumstances dictate. Mind you, he is also regarded as a bit of a loose cannon so not sure how he'd handle the critiscism, and if he'd walk away if the going got choppy.

17 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

FotMob app on phone is amazing. Pretty much every pro league all around the world available . Pick your favourite teams and/or leagues and have them arranged in any order you want. Shlt hot speed for goal  and other incident updates as well (always quicker than any stream).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

FotMob app on phone is amazing. Pretty much every pro league all around the world available . Pick your favourite teams and/or leagues and have them arranged in any order you want. Shlt hot speed for goal  and other incident updates as well (always quicker than any stream).

Cheers I'll download it. Thanks. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Turkish said:

It doesn’t bother me. I was simply making the point of how desperate they are to promote. It was you who got all upset going on about misogyny. Which is a weird thing post. 

It is ridiculous how they are forcing it on us at Sky and BBC. Also podcasts. Most blokes don’t have an issue with women’s game but putting it everywhere is annoying and confusing. 

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

Personally I think they just need to have a separate Chicks football channel. 

19 minutes ago, stknowle said:

Personally I think they just need to have a separate Chicks football channel. 

It's not something I'm interested in either but it's probably good for some people. The most irritating thing is when they use the same names as the mens team in their adverts or in a headline so then I go and have a read and find out it's not actually spurs drawing with man City. 

2 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I have the below link as a bookmark to help filter the nonsense. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league

1 hour ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Just a look at match attendances and TV viewing figures will show you interest levels, they are promoting it under equality agenda not because there is demand. They've also stopped referring to them as Ladies games "coming up we've got live coverage of Man City v Spurs" didn't realise that was on, click on  link and it's women's football clogging up the news feed, if I wanted info on women's game have a separate page for it and I can follow that. 

England Women playing a world Cup qualifier at St Mary's on Friday evening, cheap tickets and we've only opened one stand so far. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JRM said:

Just a look at match attendances and TV viewing figures will show you interest levels, they are promoting it under equality agenda not because there is demand. They've also stopped referring to them as Ladies games "coming up we've got live coverage of Man City v Spurs" didn't realise that was on, click on  link and it's women's football clogging up the news feed, if I wanted info on women's game have a separate page for it and I can follow that. 

England Women playing a world Cup qualifier at St Mary's on Friday evening, cheap tickets and we've only opened one stand so far. 

I’m not so much disagreeing with this, but one of the ways to grow demand is to publicise it. For it to grow, it has to start somewhere.

20 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

It's not something I'm interested in either but it's probably good for some people. The most irritating thing is when they use the same names as the mens team in their adverts or in a headline so then I go and have a read and find out it's not actually spurs drawing with man City. 

I hear you Hypo my worst nightmare is Saints Ladies having an identical fixture as the men on the same day at the same time when I am in - albeit unlikely - circumstances which prevent me from checking the score until the game is over, then seeing we've won 3-0 or similar and celebrating wildly as a consequence only to later discover it was the chicks what won 3-0 and we actually lost.

• Haha 1

Here's an example. This was promoted on my twitter feed and it was only after wasting my team reading and watching the video did I realise this wasn't spurs and man City. 

Screenshot_20210912-205922_Twitter.jpg

So despite both Spurs and City playing yesterday you thought they were playing each other today?

45 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

So despite both Spurs and City playing yesterday you thought they were playing each other today?

I assumed it was some sort of flashback rather than a game that happened today. The nature of twitter invites you to check out short videos without looking at things in depth. 

Edited by hypochondriac

If you didn't consider it worthy of note then you didn't have to reply you know. 

Fair point. It is essentially some sort of clickbait, but as mentioned above it doesn't take a second or two to remember who's played.

I don't see anything wrong with it personally. Their game has been drastically under-promoted in recent years so I respect the push.

6 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Fair point. It is essentially some sort of clickbait, but as mentioned above it doesn't take a second or two to remember who's played.

I don't see anything wrong with it personally. Their game has been drastically under-promoted in recent years so I respect the push.

It's not clickbait it's just an opinion I hold about it that you don't share. It seems that others also share the opinion so it doesn't seem that controversial. My issue isn't with it being promoted if that's what they want to do, I just woild prefer if it was made clearer that it's not mens football so I can see it more quickly. 

It’s only seems to be cricket & football where they don’t put “women” before the event. The tennis is “The women’s final”, athletics is “The women’s 100 meters”. 

They jumped the shark when they did a programme celebrating 70 years of TMS , and what did they start it with. Don Bradman, Botham’s ashes, The West Indies “grovel” series, Shane Warnes first ball? No, England birds winning the “World Cup”. These Wokies are deranged. My mum knows more about cricket than most blokes (the result of Grandad not having a son), and she couldn’t care less about the chick game. Nobody does, they’re minority sports over promoted and hitched to the back of the men’s game. It’s actually condescending and against every thing women’s liberation was meant to be about. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

The promotion of women's sport is positive in my opinion, makes it far more accessible for those who are interested compared to a few years ago and still is nowhere near the coverage of men's sport, even at a much lower level. If the accounts are joint that just means people who don't care can skip over the content that doesn't interest them. For those of you who find this confusing or annoying, it only takes a second or two to realise and move on, as I do for quite a bit of what Saints tweet (I'm not particularly bothered by ex-players birthdays for example!). 

The tweet causing issue above is from the SkySportsWSL account- which is dedicated to the Women's Super League. Also, Spurs haven't had a player called Williams since 1905, so if you had a basic knowledge of their squad from the recent years it seems pretty obvious it isn't a flashback style video of a men's game. Not sure how much clearer that could be while still giving the key details that Williams had scored for Spurs against Man City, in the Women's Super Leauge.

Just because you (plural, some of the above commenters) specifically aren't interested in women's sports, doesn't mean it should be excluded from social media and mainstream sports apps and news outlets.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Atlanta Saint said:

Gray and Townsend two good signings for Everton, 2M and a free. 

Maybe. Bit early to really pass full judgement. Townsend's always run hot and cold throughout his career. Gray could go either way but on the face of it they were low cost so worth a punt especially as Everton apparently aren't spending much money now.

On 12/09/2021 at 20:05, whelk said:

It is ridiculous how they are forcing it on us at Sky and BBC. Also podcasts. Most blokes don’t have an issue with women’s game but putting it everywhere is annoying and confusing. 

So for women who have no interest in the men's football but are getting more interested in their women's football we care little for their likes and dislikes.

There are as many women as there are men so get used to female, cricket, hockey and football.