Ralph OUT - Eddie Howe IN

davefoggy

39 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I think it’s a fairly simplistic thought process. Angry, shouty English man 

What makes you think he’ll be an “angry shouty English man” as manager. Fairly simplistic thought process , loud vocal player=loud vocal manager. Watching him work at Villa, he wasn’t up and at em like some other assistants. 

28 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Lol. Premier league captain for season after season, leader of men , England international, one of the best defenders and readers of the game in the premier league era, part of Dean Smiths back room staff for a couple of seasons, yet a joke for a massive club like Southampton. 

I said first post, it was a gamble, but a gamble I’d take. Nobody can argue with his playing credentials or his credibility with the players, particularly the central defenders. If his name was Johann Terryikintas, played over a decade in Germany, wining the title & countless international caps, I suspect he’d be viewed differently. 

Anyway it’s not going to happen, our soft arsed club will want a yes man who is a nice bloke. 

Nope, angry shouty man, shouting at windmills

Its certainly time to start planning for Ralph's successor.

At the very least he needs some support from better coaches.

It worries me that the whole club - from top to bottom has gone 4-2-2-2 and high press.  I am sure we used to talk about the academy teams playing 4-3-3 total football as it game the best routes for development of well rounded footballers.

Ralph seems to have too much power and influence at the club to me.

I certainly wouldn't be happy with Eddie Howe - Bournemouth bought their way to the Premier League - spent more than us in recent seasons and still got relegated.   

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tunit said:

I'm still Ralph in, just about. Although I must admit if he was a less likeable character I think I'd be done with him already. I think we need to give him 10 or so games, sacking a manager after the first game (at Goodison also) is stupid especially given that its a certain loss for us anyway. Eddie Howe would be even worse so thats a no from me. There is only one manager I want who I've heard of who I think we could get and that is Gerrard from Rangers. How people can want Lampard is beyond me, its clear how tactically inept he was at Chelsea when as soon as Tuchel came in they were 100 times better. So its Gerrard or a foreign manager for me

This herein lies the problem those around RH and GAO seem to have the same mentality as you, keep somone on cos they are a "nice" person who cares if they are incompetent hey 

Although I see no wisdom in carrying on with Ralph, I'm not sure Howe is the answer. Some people have mentioned Terry. Instinct is that he'll make a very good manager and although it's a massive leap of faith, I'd rather roll the dice with him than face the inevitable with Ralph. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mr X said:

This herein lies the problem those around RH and GAO seem to have the same mentality as you, keep somone on cos they are a "nice" person who cares if they are incompetent hey 

Did you see the Alex Ferguson documentary the other day. Players were saying that when he had Archie Knox as his asst their approach was was Bad cop/even worse cop.

It looks to me that Ralph and his staff use the Good cop/even nicer cop management approach. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

Personally think we should give RH 10 games, time to get maybe 2 players in and get all the new players up to speed. The first half yesterday was good and for 15 minutes once we had survived Everton equalising we were again on top. RH signing of a new CB is collosal for his future, it needs to be a hard bastard who will lead. Get this purchase wrong Ralph and i'm afraid your time will be up.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, egg said:

Some people have mentioned Terry. Instinct is that he'll make a very good manager and although it's a massive leap of faith, I'd rather roll the dice with him than face the inevitable with Ralph. 

This is my POV as well. Id certainly rather have him than Frank Lampard or Steven Gerrard. 

Let’s face facts, the pool we’re fishing in means that any manager suggested will have failure on his cv or will be a gamble. 

2 minutes ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

Personally think we should give RH 10 games, time to get maybe 2 players in and get all the new players up to speed. The first half yesterday was good and for 15 minutes once we had survived Everton equalising we were again on top. RH signing of a new CB is collosal for his future, it needs to be a hard bastard who will lead. Get this purchase wrong Ralph and i'm afraid your time will be up.

Won't solve much without bringing in a decent goalkeeper as well. 

22 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Did you see the Alex Ferguson documentary the other day. Players were saying that when he had Archie Knox as his asst their approach was was Bad cop/even worse cop.

It looks to me that Ralph and his staff use the Good cop/even nicer cop management approach. 

No haven't seen that but agree we seem to have an inherent niceness in our coaching and management approach which can be a good thing in certain situations i.e giving confidence to our younger player. I'm not saying the hairdryer treatment is the answer but clearly some of the players need a reality check and a wake-up call including the manager, it's like they are all sleepwalking into a new season and are even happy with that! 

1 hour ago, JRM said:

Jody Morris was a key figure with Lampard on the coaching side of the game, that's what Ralph is missing some proper coaching support.

Although I've little confidence in our coaching team I had hoped this summer might have been the time for a clean out but it hasn't happened and blame for that probably rests with RH not 'kicking up' about it, or identifying and looking to bring his own man in (as well as Richard K).

Just now, Badger said:

Although I've little confidence in our coaching team I had hoped this summer might have been the time for a clean out but it hasn't happened and blame for that probably rests with RH not 'kicking up' about it, or identifying and looking to bring his own man in (as well as Richard K).

Yeah, I've never been sure why Ralph is happy to work with Kelvin, Watson, Fleming etc. Never really been sure what they're adding to the party, they've been here under numerous managers too. Kelvin should have started with the academy teams but somehow he's got himself quite a prominent role in premier league coaching.

16 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Find the notion of appointing Terry completely comical. Why not appoint John Barnes he was once a good footballer too.

Lazy comment. Barnes has been away from the game for years and tried/failed at management. Terry has only recently retired, and seemingly did very well at Villa. Your comment all but suggests that no player can ever transition from playing to management which is just wrong. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Pat from Poole said:

Good manager, Howe. Got unlucky with chronic injuries at Boscombe.

Could easily see him at Saints, and think he would do well.

I too can see him being an "obvious candidate", but we seldom go the 'obious' route.

14 hours ago, Pat from Poole said:

Howe left Bournemouth as he hadn’t spent much time with his wife and young kids over the years. It may be that after a year out of the game he is fully motivated to get back in.

I do think Howe is destined for the very top. He is still very young in management terms.

I thought his leaving was a "mutual consent", possibly realising the car crash of a season they'd had, not wanting the shame of being sacked on his CV, and realising the prospect of bringing them back up with the financial implications of relegation was slim.

Although he did a fantastic job there originally I think he may have a name change by deed poll to Eddie Howe-Did-A- Fantastic-Job-At- Bournemouth  in the same way as Curbishley did at Charlton. Remembered for that for evermore, but shit everywhere else.

The last appointment we made from a manager in the Greater Poole/Sandbanks area was a disaster despite being 'local'. Although he might come to us, I fear he'll take the job due to location above all else.

Given your location you probably know more about EH than I do, and will have studied his career and tactics more, but I'm not convinced.

5 minutes ago, egg said:

Lazy comment. Barnes has been away from the game for years and tried/failed at management. Terry has only recently retired, and seemingly did very well at Villa. Your comment all but suggests that no player can ever transition from playing to management which is just wrong. 

Did very well at Villa. In what capacity making the tea! Wigley and Gray were such terrific managers

Edited by Baird of the land

2 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Did very well at Villa. In what capacity making the tea! Wigley and Gray were such terrific managers

Gerrard, Guardiaola, Cruyff, Zidane, etc etc. Your point wasn't a great one and your examples aren't helping you. 

4 minutes ago, egg said:

Gerrard, Guardiaola, Cruyff, Zidane, etc etc. Your point wasn't a great one and your examples aren't helping you. 

A small proportion pay off(the likes of Zidane massively aided by having the best players in the world to work with). You could equally at how badly Arteta is doing or any other of tonnes of ex footballers who flop trying the top job. Guardiola managed the Barcelona B team before he was thrust into Barca hotseat)

Edited by Baird of the land
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

A small proportion pay off(the likes of Zidane massively aided by having the best players in the world to work with). You could equally at how badly Arteta is doing or any other of tonnes of ex footballers who flop trying the top job. Guardiola managed the Barcelona B team before he was thrust into Barca hotseat)

I'm not sure what that's got to do with your point that John Barnes and John Terry are in any way comparable. I have a hunch that Terry will make a good manager and you think he'll flop. Let's agree to differ 👍

Just now, egg said:

I'm not sure what that's got to do with your point that John Barnes and John Terry are in any way comparable. I have a hunch that Terry will make a good manager and you think he'll flop. Let's agree to differ 👍

I don't think we should be appointing a manager on the hunch that he'll learn to be a good manager one day. Terry needs to go to the championship or Scotland (like Lampard/Gerrard) and earn his spurs imo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

Hopefully this is the clubs stance..the only worrying trend is the poor results all levels of the club were getting last season following the same Hassenhutl formation.

1 minute ago, Baird of the land said:

I don't think we should be appointing a manager on the hunch that he'll learn to be a good manager one day. Terry needs to go to the championship or Scotland (like Lampard/Gerrard) and earn his spurs imo.

Which proven managers would you want us to target if (hypothetically) we bin Ralph? 

11 minutes ago, egg said:

Which proven managers would you want us to target if (hypothetically) we bin Ralph? 

If you are looking to get rid and bring in someone who has done a decent job in their first job but is available, the obvious candidate would be Steve Cooper. Did well at swansea getting to playoffs twice despite owners selling squad.

45 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Because everyone that’s an assistant manager is going to be a shit manager 🤣🤣

3 hours ago, adriansfc said:

Christ. I'm a bit fed up with Ralph but these alternatives are horrific. 

Eddie fucking Howe? What is it with him? How does someone spend that much and get relegated and still have any fans think he's any good? Totally clueless and seems like a complete bellend before you even get to the Pompey links. 

Even got the worst people on here suggesting John Terry?! I know, not even near the most vile of their opinions but fucking hell. That really would be the moment I stop supporting Saints. But apparently he'd sort the defence out. Because he was a defender. And that's how that works 🤦🏻‍♂️I guess having a vile piece of shit like that would please our right wing cunt element. 

Happy with a good old fashioned “vile piece of shit” myself, do our spineless wonders the world of good. 

ps, hope he sues.

4 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Worked well for Liverpool when Paisley and Fagan were promoted from within.

And everyone remembers the sensational progress we made under Stuart Gray and Steve Wigley.

Edited by CB Fry
Sorry I see they've already been mentioned.
  • Like 1

Problem with Saints we have a weak mentality, no leaders take Liverpool for example they have the likes of Milner as soon as one of their young players misplayed a pass he went nuts at him that's the difference we have nobody in our team to lead, organize or inspire when the going gets tough.

Look at our team currently he has a bit of steel and bollocks about them? Romeu and that's it.....  Our defensive record is abysmal and has been for a while heading into a new season the first priority should of been to strengthen the back four, goal Keeper and Def Mid options......  i'm not talking about slotting in some youth player with the potential to sell on in a few seasons. We need experienced players who can hit the ground running a few solid big units, old fashioned no nonsense get the job done kind of players a few players who don't fold like deck chairs when the going gets tough....  Looking at our team against Everton where is the height? the aerial threat from Set pieces? we have non same as for defensive cover.... 

That would be my main priority right now two players incoming minimum who can add leadership and experience Cahill? Jones? I know some of you disagree but we desperately are crying out for leadership. 

Djenepo is it me or every-time this man gets the ball he doesn't look like he even knows what to do with it yes he produces endless step overs but where is the consistency and final end product? he has known just another Boufal Mark 2.0 I don't rate him at all or see what he brings to the team. 

Regarding the game yesterday our Manager said that Prowse and Romeu were not fully fit? Start Diallo and Armstrong / Tella ...... not rocket science 

I'm getting fed up with the excuses and the inability to tactically adjust and react to what the opposition is doing on the pitch as soon as the opponent gains any sort of momentum we collectively are a bunch of rabbits caught in the headlights. Like a broken record on repeat letting the teams batter us every second half it's becoming predictable now. You just feel like getting a megaphone and shouting at Ralph " get some subs on now you clown

Anyone playing Saints right now must look forward to it with anticipation I mean the team talk is simple sit back let Saints come at us first half and apply pressure second half they will be knackered and will fold like deck chairs.....  it's not even funny writing that how predictable we are. 

Going forwards here is what we need:

two players incoming minimum who can lead and organize. 

lose the reluctance and stubbornness to make adjustments and substitutions. 

The abilty to change shape mid game and tweak if we are under the cosh 

A bit of pride and desire 

My thoughts some you may agree with I'd say give him 10 games and get rid if this continues.... 

1 hour ago, Baird of the land said:

If you are looking to get rid and bring in someone who has done a decent job in their first job but is available, the obvious candidate would be Steve Cooper. Did well at swansea getting to playoffs twice despite owners selling squad.

So no more proven than lampard, then?

As much as I don’t think Howe would really improve us, he’s the obvious candidate alongside Lampard. At least the latter would likely be well supported in the coaching dept compared to what we have now. 

Personally, if we’re continuing with the mantra of only employing managers out of work, I’d go for Rudi Garcia. 50% win rate at his last 4 jobs. 

One game seriously, one game in a fixture where we never do well in, on the opening day where we never do well, and it's actually no even one game, its a half, because we were good in the first half. 

Honestly my toddler has more mental fortitude and is less fickle than some people on here. 

Edited by tajjuk
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

One game seriously, one game in a fixture where we never do well in, on the opening day where we never do well, and it's actually no even one game, its a half, because we were good in the first half. 

Honestly my toddler has more mental fortitude and is less fickle than some people on here. 

It’s not just one game though is it?

15 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Did the last 26 games of last season not happen then?