Ralph OUT - Eddie Howe IN

davefoggy

I was told this afternoon that Howe has been approached. Ralph has 8 weeks to turn it around but the club are making contingency plans if it doesn't work out.  Obviously no idea if true but the person who told me has connections with Howe's previous coaching team. Wouldn't surprise me tbh, thought I would pass it on.

44 minutes ago, Katalinic said:

I was told this afternoon that Howe has been approached. Ralph has 8 weeks to turn it around but the club are making contingency plans if it doesn't work out.  Obviously no idea if true but the person who told me has connections with Howe's previous coaching team. Wouldn't surprise me tbh, thought I would pass it on.

Well good. But 8 weeks might be too late. I see us on 0 points after 4. If there is a target after 8 I wonder what it is. Thing is, it’s been over 20 games the same way, with the same no -tactics, the same excuses. The same favourites. The only difference now is Ralph’s trousers. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Katalinic said:

They ought to do it after the Man U game unless the side suddenly keeps a clean sheet and pulls off frankly what would be a modern day giant killing given the form guides of the last 20 games. I have a feeling if it’s the 6 or 7 goal margin of defeat I think it might be RH may walk. He offered to resign after the first 9-0. Sounds like Semmens has had a performance management conversation with RH and RH is quite proud, he may want to go before pushed.

I’d genuinely have given the 1976 Cup Final side a better chance in their tie second division or not - they had senior pros like Rodrigues, McCalliog, Osgood, Blyth and the younger players like Holmes had comparatively far more experience as well. 

Redknapp was brought in too late in 2004. Allows Howe to pick his own CB and assess any other late changes before the window shuts. 

I’m not sure Eddie is the person to sort out the terrible back 4 but if that’s the replacement, let’s give him a chance. 

Edited by saint1977
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Turkish said:

Hughes was sacked for 17 points from 22 games. Ralphs last 22 games we’ve got 14 points with a -28 goal difference. Yeah it’s just one game 🙄

Didn't realise that.  Yeah, I've begun my walk away from the Ralph in camp.  Just too many repeats of poor game management; use (or non-use) of subs; inflexible team selections/formations and the playing of favourites.   Goes to show that having a likeable, enthusiastic Manager is never enough.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Katalinic said:

Just what we need: more hipster 442 and an inability to organise a defence.

Hopefully we're sounding out a few other options too.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, egg said:

Shit. Is his ability an indicator of John Terry's or something? If not, what's your point? 

The point is that being a nasty bellend doesn't make you a good manager. Nor does having worked as an assistant manager. Nor does having been a good player. So what exactly is it about John Terry that makes people think he'll be a good manager?

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, saint1977 said:

They ought to do it after the Man U game unless the side suddenly keeps a clean sheet and pulls off frankly what would be a modern day giant killing given the form guides of the last 20 games. I have a feeling if it’s the 6 or 7 goal margin of defeat I think it might be RH may walk. He offered to resign after the first 9-0. Sounds like Semmens has had a performance management conversation with RH and RH is quite proud, he may want to go before pushed.

I’d genuinely have given the 1976 Cup Final side a better chance in their tie second division or not - they had senior pros like Rodrigues, McCalliog, Osgood, Blyth and the younger players like Holmes had comparatively far more experience as well. 

Redknapp was brought in too late in 2004. Allows Howe to pick his own CB and assess any other late changes before the window shuts. 

I’m not sure Eddie is the person to sort out the terrible back 4 but if that’s the replacement, let’s give him a chance. 

The last thing we want is Howe getting involved in transfers

12 hours ago, Streaky said:

Very worried about next Sunday, can see us being blown away in 20 mins. Looking at our squad, it suits us playing 532 and dropping the ridiculous high line and high press that we can only do for 60 mins.

Thing is it can work for the first 50-60 minutes, but then it needs to change to counter the opposing teams tactical changes. But Ralph doesn’t have the managerial nouse to know what to do. He doesn’t have a decent assistant manager to bounce ideas. This is the fundamental reason why we are so poor in the 2nd half of a game we’ve started to dominate. If we maintain the form from the last 27 games, relegation will loom large by Christmas, so something needs to change.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Turkish said:

Where is SKD?

Banned for ‘trolling’… Got a life sentence, I think… looks like Chapel end went down with him. 

As for the topic. I can’t see how Ralph survives. His reluctance and stubbornness to not change anything up will ultimately be the sword he falls on. As people have said, we start games well buy die off, that’s down to the manager. 

However, as people have said for a long while, we lack leadership in the squad, especially at CB. We need an older been there and done it head to help us manage these games through. 

I’m not sure if Howe is the answer, but I certainly don’t think Ralph is either. 

8 hours ago, Kaiser Soze said:

Could we not go after Graham Potter? 

We could, yes. However; 

- why would he want to come here? Do we offer anything more than Brighton? 

- Recent history would suggest we don’t go for managers currently in employment as we don’t want to spend ££ on compensation. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dman said:

Banned for ‘trolling’… Got a life sentence, I think… looks like Chapel end went down with him. 

As for the topic. I can’t see how Ralph survives. His reluctance and stubbornness to not change anything up will ultimately be the sword he falls on. As people have said, we start games well buy die off, that’s down to the manager. 

However, as people have said for a long while, we lack leadership in the squad, especially at CB. We need an older been there and done it head to help us manage these games through. 

I’m not sure if Howe is the answer, but I certainly don’t think Ralph is either. 

Welcome new poster... 

Is MLG still around? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dman said:

Welcome New Poster. How do you know he got banned? You only joined last week........

• Haha 6

Surely there should be a thread where mods list all the banned posters so we can see their hideous crimes and heed the warnings and correct any of our own errant behaviour? As well as a moderation exercise to keep the mods in check. As it’s stands they just go missing, taken away in the night.

Fucking ridiculous if SKD has been banned.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Katalinic said:

This seems perfectly reasonable to me. Not sure about the Howe part though. I don’t think that Ralph is a poor manager but he needs to be with a better, more intelligent squad than this. 

27 minutes ago, whelk said:

Surely there should be a thread where mods list all the banned posters so we can see their hideous crimes and heed the warnings and correct any of our own errant behaviour? As well as a moderation exercise to keep the mods in check. As it’s stands they just go missing, taken away in the night.

People simply disappeared, always during the night. Your name was removed from the registers, every record of everything you had ever done was wiped out, your one-time existence was denied and then forgotten. You were abolished, annihilated: vaporized was the usual word.........

George Orwell was right.

I hope MLG is able to help me here, if not perhaps another. What is Ralphs win record with Rohl as second in command or without.

It strikes me that Ralph needs advice during game management.

He maybe a dictator , something unusual for an Austrian but he really needs some extra brains helping him during the game

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

People simply disappeared, always during the night. Your name was removed from the registers, every record of everything you had ever done was wiped out, your one-time existence was denied and then forgotten. You were abolished, annihilated: vaporized was the usual word......... 

How verbose. Do keep up. The modern term is simply, cancelled.

Some of you lot are a joke! Please keep away from our club and go back to Pompey and give them this style of so-called support! Ralph is not perfect but he is streets better than any alternative we might get - including Eddie Howe.

Let us be clear here: Bournemouth were relegated despite having new wealthy owners putting in far more to the club than Saints are able to draw upon. They were managed by Eddie Howe. If he couldn't keep Bompey up with all that financial backing, how on earth do you think he could cope with managing Saints?!

We have played ONE fixture this season and if it hadn't been for an error early in the second half we could and probably should have gone on to beat an Everton side that featured multiple internationals and players that we could only dream of playing for Saints, including Calvert-Lewin, Richarlison, Dingue, Coleman, Demarai Gray and more. We played that fixture short of a centre back following the sale of Vestergaard and with our two central midfielders short on fitness after recovering from injury.

Last autumn we found our club top of the Premier League with confidence sky high after Ralph, the manager that you are dissing, had led the team to play some brilliant football which showed everyone our potential with him as manager. Sadly we then faced a period of difficulty with a huge raft of injuries and, due to COVID, a lack of access to the conditioning facilities which we would usually use to prevent injuries and to help injured players to recover.

SO, if you want to support a club that does not have Ralph as manager, there is a simple way to achieve that: Go and give your negative, unhelpful, morale-destroying so-called 'support' to Pompey or one of the other football clubs on offer. We don't need or want your brand of 'support' at Saints. Thanks!

• Like 15
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

Some of you lot are a joke! Please keep away from our club and go back to Pompey and give them this style of so-called support! Ralph is not perfect but he is streets better than any alternative we might get - including Eddie Howe.

Let us be clear here: Bournemouth were relegated despite having new wealthy owners putting in far more to the club than Saints are able to draw upon. They were managed by Eddie Howe. If he couldn't keep Bompey up with all that financial backing, how on earth do you think he could cope with managing Saints?!

We have played ONE fixture this season and if it hadn't been for an error early in the second half we could and probably should have gone on to beat an Everton side that featured multiple internationals and players that we could only dream of playing for Saints, including Calvert-Lewin, Richarlison, Dingue, Coleman, Demarai Gray and more. We played that fixture short of a centre back following the sale of Vestergaard and with our two central midfielders short on fitness after recovering from injury.

Last autumn we found our club top of the Premier League with confidence sky high after Ralph, the manager that you are dissing, had led the team to play some brilliant football which showed everyone our potential with him as manager. Sadly we then faced a period of difficulty with a huge raft of injuries and, due to COVID, a lack of access to the conditioning facilities which we would usually use to prevent injuries and to help injured players to recover.

SO, if you want to support a club that does not have Ralph as manager, there is a simple way to achieve that: Go and give your negative, unhelpful, morale-destroying so-called 'support' to Pompey or one of the other football clubs on offer. We don't need or want your brand of 'support' at Saints. Thanks!

Last I heard  you don't get to decide who gets to support saints and who should think what. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 2

59 minutes ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

It appears you’ve copied Ralph in writing a ‘playbook’……the playbook of excuses and not facing up to the truth. 

it’s flawed on so many levels ….just like Ralph’s. 
great for you both…to sleepwalk into relegation and failure together. 

🤦🏻

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

I'm sorry SaintRalphInOceanVillage, SaintJackoInHurworth, but something has to give if we can't get out of this slumber. Ralph may be a good manager who is capable of getting teams to play great football at times, but he is completely inept at adapting his game both in tough spells during seasons (flexing to a 3 or 5 at the back system) and tough spells in games (substitutes glued to the bench as everyone in the stadium but him - seemingly - senses that an opposition goal is coming).

He (or you) are a stubborn bloke who is not what we need to guide us through what is bound to be our toughest fight since coming back up.

6 hours ago, Turkish said:

George Orwell was right.

Night of the long knives?

Edited by Toadhall Saint

8 hours ago, whelk said:

Yep, but this Dman may turn out to be a nice new poster. Always has seemingly gone, and this warriorsaint may fill a gap. We've also had a Watson and Holmes pop up too. 

People who post the sort of “you’re just a rubbish fan if you want Ralph out, go and support Pompey” drivel are presumably the type of sheep who clap the team off at the end of the game after a 9-0 humbling or an utterly hapless performance in Prague.

Get real. We have been total crap since January. If you accept crap, that is what you will be given in spades.

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, Pat from Poole said:

People who post the sort of “you’re just a rubbish fan if you want Ralph out, go and support Pompey” drivel are presumably the type of sheep who clap the team off at the end of the game after a 9-0 humbling or an utterly hapless performance in Prague.

Get real. We have been total crap since January. If you accept crap, that is what you will be given in spades.

Well said Pat. 

People genuinely want him to succeed and apart from the odd “get the c@#t out of the club”, most people like the bloke and can see he’s  a decent man. There’s certainly more goodwill towards him than there was Puel, Pelligrino or Hughes and more than most managers would get after an appalling 9 months. That said, you just cannot mismanage situations like he has and expect total support. Don’t forget this is the bloke that picked Redmond ahead of Adams in a semi final. So forget about injuries, referees & other assorted excuses, that in itself shows ineptitude at Branfoot like levels. 

• Like 2

I think we've persevered with Ralph because when we HAVE been good, we have been very, very good and could virtually beat anyone.  He's obviously got something, but seems to be leading us in the wrong direction for too long now.  I'd like him to succeed but it seems like he's lost the ability or has been sussed out.  

9 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Well said Pat. 

People genuinely want him to succeed and apart from the odd “get the c@#t out of the club”, most people like the bloke and can see he’s  a decent man. There’s certainly more goodwill towards him than there was Puel, Pelligrino or Hughes and more than most managers would get after an appalling 9 months. That said, you just cannot mismanage situations like he has and expect total support. Don’t forget this is the bloke that picked Redmond ahead of Adams in a semi final. So forget about injuries, referees & other assorted excuses, that in itself shows ineptitude at Branfoot like levels. 

I like him; he seems a genuine guy and he puts up with the edicts from above about how the club operates financially.

But it’s blindingly obvious that we cannot keep on losing games.

• Like 1

Have you ever heard Terry interviewed? He's clearly a mouth-breathing moron. You might get the odd ex-pro, instinctive type making a decent fist of management, but it's no coincidence that most of the more successful managers of the past decade and counting have been pretty intelligent and articulate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Manuel said:

I think we've persevered with Ralph because when we HAVE been good, we have been very, very good and could virtually beat anyone.  He's obviously got something, but seems to be leading us in the wrong direction for too long now.  I'd like him to succeed but it seems like he's lost the ability or has been sussed out.  

Think he has been given the benefit of doubt over the poor end of last season because it was a bit of a freak due to Covid, injuries and we went all out for the cup when other teams were resting players.

if we get to November/December and are not showing any improvement then I expect they will act.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

One of the most arrogant myopic posts I have ever read on a Saints forum. It would have been better if you had just explained why you think Ralph is doing a good job rather than insult a large swathe of supporters who happen to have a different view to you. 

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

He just needs a good no.2 who has the brain to work out how to counter the tactical changes other teams make in the second half.

If he got that, we’d be fine. 

Should that be Ralph’s job? Yes. But he isn’t good at it. Thing is though, he’s good at many other things, so getting in someone just to help with this aspect is fine by me.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dangerspoon said:

He just needs a good no.2 who has the brain to work out how to counter the tactical changes other teams make in the second half.

If he got that, we’d be fine. 

Should that be Ralph’s job? Yes. But he isn’t good at it. Thing is though, he’s good at many other things, so getting in someone just to help with this aspect is fine by me.

That's fine having a very good assistant but Ralph is too stubborn  to listen to him

3 hours ago, Pat from Poole said:

Agree. Its all about results and just because Ralph is a nice guy there can be no excuses!  We have been awful for a long time ...any other manager would have been sacked ages ago ....

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kaiser Soze said:

Fat Sam and Tony Pullis are available I guess.

Every cloud and all that.

Leeds fan on Talksport wants “Clown “ Bielsa sacked and Fat Sam in!

Anyone who thinks Moussa is a left back deserves the sack. 
Most fans want him to succeed but he cannot keep making the same mistakes over and over. I got a bit of stick last season when I questioned our coaches all goalkeepers seems now a few agree.

Neither of our goalkeepers can sort a defence why do we think they can?

McCarthy was awful pre season yet started , KWP one of our best players last season dropped. Tino is outstanding prospect inexperienced yet second half blowing no subs does Ralph know you can change before the 80th minute maybe someone needs to amend that in his playbook?

Edited by Give it to Ron
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Dman said:

Sometimes I wonder if Ralph actually wants leadership on the field, or whether he thinks that’s his job from the sidelines. Same mentality that led to him not replacing his assistant manager; I can do it all myself, I don’t need any help.

Ralphs strength is also his weakness. He has clear ideas and principles, he is laser focused on what he wants from the team, and he is utterly convinced it can and will work. But, as we saw at Everton, he can’t admit when it isn’t working and change it. Maybe he sees that as admitting defeat or showing he’s wrong? Who knows. To my uneducated eye though, the best managers sense when things aren’t working and change it and I can’t see Ralph ever doing that.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, RobM said:

Sometimes I wonder if Ralph actually wants leadership on the field, or whether he thinks that’s his job from the sidelines. Same mentality that led to him not replacing his assistant manager; I can do it all myself, I don’t need any help.

Ralphs strength is also his weakness. He has clear ideas and principles, he is laser focused on what he wants from the team, and he is utterly convinced it can and will work. But, as we saw at Everton, he can’t admit when it isn’t working and change it. Maybe he sees that as admitting defeat or showing he’s wrong? Who knows. To my uneducated eye though, the best managers sense when things aren’t working and change it and I can’t see Ralph ever doing that.

I’ve been thinking the same thing, he likes kids because they in the main are easier to control, that is why I can’t see us signing the experienced old dog we need, he strikes me as a “my way or the highway” extremist. When it comes to managing high performing teams, in any walk of life, you need talent, that talent often comes with challenging personalities, Ralph will not have that, he just wants compliant automatons. 

1 hour ago, RobM said:

A replacement was signed very shortly after Danny Rohl left. Hasenhuttl has stated Richard Kitzbichler was the replacement for Rohl.

Danny Rohl joined Bayern Munich 7th August 2019

Richard Kitzbichler joined Southampton 23rd August 2019

Edited by Matthew Le God

13 hours ago, Manuel said:

Yes this can be the only explanation for sticking with somone with such an appalling record over the last half or more of last season and what looks like to continue into this season with the early fixture list we have.  Yes he did get us to the top for like a day and deserves credit for that  but it is now clear that was just a case of  other teams taking a while to work out what counter acts such a high press and an element of the top teams having their own bad run. The manner in which we totally crumbled from 1st place to losing every game is basically how we now crumble in the second half of pretty much every game! Ralph has lost his mojo or maybe he never had it to begin with? Like others I think he's a sound guy but is that enough, he seems totally one dimensional in terms of tactics