Referees

whelk

46 minutes ago, niceandfriendly said:

Red card for an accidental handball against Reece James 😩

this season would the penatly shout against Villa at home stood? the one against Villa wasnt given because it deflected upon himself, as it also did against James ?so whats changed?

2 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Denial of a goal scoring opportunity = red card. It's the clearest red card you'll see all season by the rules. 

Doesn't change the fact that I don't like to see a red card for an accidental handball. Totally disagree with that rule. They won a penalty, that's more than enough. No real football fan should want to see a red card for that.

Edited by niceandfriendly
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, whelk said:

Been so much better in every game I have watched this season. So refreshing playing on when expecting a foul for every slight brush.

Tierney good today I thought.

I only had the benefit of listening to Solent - but Blackmore was less than impressed with him, especially the way Tino was seemingly targeted to be kicked at every opportunity with the only sanction being the refs whistle. Yet KWPs yellow was a bit harsh.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, John Boy Saint said:

I only had the benefit of listening to Solent - but Blackmore was less than impressed with him, especially the way Tino was seemingly targeted to be kicked at every opportunity with the only sanction being the refs whistle. Yet KWPs yellow was a bit harsh.

Sounds like Klopp/OGS.  Want the ref to let the game flow bar yellows for fouls on our best player(s)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, niceandfriendly said:

Doesn't change the fact that I don't like to see a red card for an accidental handball. Totally disagree with that rule. They won a penalty, that's more than enough. No real football fan should want to see a red card for that.

It didn't look accidental, he pushed the ball away. Even Azpilicueta struggled to defend it when he saw the replay after the match.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

It didn't look accidental, he pushed the ball away. Even Azpilicueta struggled to defend it when he saw the replay after the match.

If he had kept his arm still he might have got away with it but that secondary forward movement was just enough for it to have been a foul.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, John Boy Saint said:

I thought I saw KWP, after he was yet again clattered near their penalty area, ask the ref why the Newcastle player hadn't been booked for the foul, yet he had been earlier.

15 hours ago, Paulwantsapint81 said:

Think lyanco found & scared Mike Dean today

The TV commentator said that Mike Dean had said it was an attempt to play the ball. It sounds like he was trying to influence the ref not to award a penalty. It's the first time I've heard a commentator repeat what the VAR official had said.  I didn't know that TV commentators could hear communications between officials.

22 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

The TV commentator said that Mike Dean had said it was an attempt to play the ball. It sounds like he was trying to influence the ref not to award a penalty.

No, Dean said the ref should go and have a look at it on the monitor as he thought it was a foul, which he did and then overturned it. The comment about the player attempting to play the ball is the difference between yellow card, which was awarded, and red card which is given when there is deemed to be no genuine attempt to play the ball.

2 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

Bizarre that anyone could think it wasn’t a penalty, as you say he scooped it away. Once he’s given the penalty he has no option but to send him off. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LiberalCommunist said:

Greame is tearing Mike Den a new one after that game. I've never seen them focus on one key moment for this long before. I think he might go down to his room and kick the door in when he's finished his rant. 

Funny as hell!

Liverpool man pissed of at Man U getting an advantage, kind of took the edge of the rant for me.

It was a missed foul but not that outrageous that it was missed. However it might make OGS stfu moaning, but I doubt it.

On 29/08/2021 at 11:15, Lord Duckhunter said:

Bizarre that anyone could think it wasn’t a penalty, as you say he scooped it away. Once he’s given the penalty he has no option but to send him off. 

I thought the double jeopardy rule only got over ruled in the case of violent conduct personally and dont see any reason why that wouldnt be the case anyway

39 minutes ago, kelkel31 said:

I thought the double jeopardy rule only got over ruled in the case of violent conduct personally and dont see any reason why that wouldnt be the case anyway

Double jeopardy, as in you don't get sent off as well, only counts for tackles where the player makes a genuine attempt to get the ball. Denying a goal scoring opportunity is an early bath.

17 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

Double jeopardy, as in you don't get sent off as well, only counts for tackles where the player makes a genuine attempt to get the ball. Denying a goal scoring opportunity is an early bath.

In this case it was denying a goal by handball and not just a DOGSO so once it is deemed to be handball then it has to be a red card.

“Where a player denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by a handball offence, the player is sent off wherever the offence“

I think the rules in that situation should provide for the award of a penalty goal, and no red card (unless it’s violent conduct denying a goal). 

Goal plus red card completely changes the match in a way that the goal itself would not, so seems disproportionate.

Penalty and no red card is unfair on the attacking team as they go from certain goal to 75% chance of a goal.

So, penalty goal it should be. Plus, imagine the laughs when a penalty goal gets wrongly awarded.

Edited by benjii
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
5 hours ago, cloggy saint said:

I know that in today's soft as shite football it's usually considered a foul but had it been at the other end we'd all have been fuming. Clattenburg said it wasn't a foul and I tend to agree.

He also said Salisu's 1st yellow wasn't a booking 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, niceandfriendly said:

I hate how keepers are overprotected in the modern game but Doherty turned his back and jumped straight into Forster's hands after he caught the ball. Foul all day long 😂

This. I'm surprised so many here are slagging FF for it and saying it wasn't a foul and he was lucky to have it disallowed. He dropped the ball after their player clattered into him FFS.

On the other hand, Kane's goal looked onside to me.

• Like 1

On 31/08/2021 at 04:48, benjii said:

I think the rules in that situation should provide for the award of a penalty goal, and no red card (unless it’s violent conduct denying a goal). 

Goal plus red card completely changes the match in a way that the goal itself would not, so seems disproportionate.

Penalty and no red card is unfair on the attacking team as they go from certain goal to 75% chance of a goal.

So, penalty goal it should be. Plus, imagine the laughs when a penalty goal gets wrongly awarded.

Agree that the double punishment is very unfair.      IF ...VAR deems it to be a foul then a penalty should be awarded.

Let's face it  (except against world-class goalies) ... every penalty kick should be " a certain goal"  anyway.

Yellows should be restricted to bad fouls and obvious violent play,  and all red card decisions should be backed up by VAR. 

It's more difficult deciding what is .. " a reasonable chance of scoring " . FF made a great save from what looked to be " a certain goal ".

Just running on goal with the ball at your feet doesn't mean it's " a certain goal ".        Shane Long has proven that dozens of times. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, david in sweden said:

Agree that the double punishment is very unfair.      IF ...VAR deems it to be a foul then a penalty should be awarded.

Yellows should be restricted to bad fouls and obvious violent play,  and all red card decisions should be backed up by VAR. 

What a load of pony. They’ve already got rid of the double jeopardy of a penalty and a red, hence why he got a yellow.  VAR look at every single red card and “back it up” already, that’s the rules. They don’t look at yellows. 

Your suggestion you shouldn’t get a yellow for persistently giving away free kicks, time wasting, kicking the ball away, showing dissent, blocking the taking of a quick free kick, is just laughable. 

What annoys me is that VAR has no jurisdiction over the award of yellow cards. Yet yellow cards can have significant influence on the outcome of a game, especially the first of two yellows, or can lead to players being banned for a subsequent game. Many times we have seen yellow cards that are clear and obvious errors, such as in the Brighton game, so why not use VAR then?

• Like 1