Simon Jordan on Saints

Delboy Dave

Just now, Delboy Dave said:

Blimey chaps! 
sorry for not posting any details, I haven’t been back since I posted the tread - you lot must have office jobs and a Saints web tab permenanlty open 😃

Its OK, the digression was the best bit, so, thanks for that.

7 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

Its OK, the digression was the best bit, so, thanks for that.

I thought it was a decent abit of insight, losing huge sums “bleeding through their eyeballs”

was asked to get involved in the take over of saints

£60k profit last year

Lost £120m over the last few years 

Edited by Delboy Dave

39 minutes ago, Delboy Dave said:

I thought it was a decent abit of insight, losing huge sums “bleeding through their eyeballs”

was asked to get involved in the take over of saints

£60k profit last year

Lost £120m over the last few years 

once again explains why we haven't sacked Ralph. Can't afford to.

He does make some interesing points: how football finances are screwed up i.e. the balance between success and debt. And of course the Saints being skint (not new news of course).

We are pretty much living on a knife edge....or maybe 'borrowed time' is a better term!

What he says is absolutely spot on and will be the precursor to selling JWP, SA, Livramento and anyone else who can return a decent profit in the next 18 months. We’re destined for the Championship, but I don’t say unfortunately as for me I’ll start getting some enjoyment back.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bangkoksaint said:

What he says is absolutely spot on and will be the precursor to selling JWP, SA, Livramento and anyone else who can return a decent profit in the next 18 months. We’re destined for the Championship, but I don’t say unfortunately as for me I’ll start getting some enjoyment back.

You won't because we will go bust.

26 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I thought Gao was / is going to take us to the "next level"?

We will be like Derby. We are screwed financially even with premier league money, with a massive loan looming. Soon as we go down we'll be screwed.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Turkish said:

We will be like Derby. We are screwed financially even with premier league money, with a massive loan looming. Soon as we go down we'll be screwed.

No we wouldn't. In the event of relegation players would be sold which would alleviate us from being screwed. Plus payments for the loan don't even start yet.

Just selling the three of Ward-Prowse, Livramento and Walker-Peters would raise a huge amount of money.

2 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

No we wouldn't. In the event of relegation players would be sold which would alleviate us from being screwed. Plus payments for the loan don't even start yet.

Just selling the three of Ward-Prowse, Livramento and Walker-Peters would raise a huge amount of money.

Loan payments may not have started, but I suspect interest is accruing. Either way, loans have to be repaid, and it's pretty obvious we're in a mess financially if we get relegated - acknowledging that we'd have to sell players all but accepts that, and replacements will need to be funded. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

There would not be much prospect of paying MSD off though in the Champ or even in the PL, player sales would buy maybe a season’s space but Gao couldn’t afford to run Netley Central let alone a EFL club. Club might at best bob around in mid table for a couple of seasons but with a vacant owner and no direction the Champ is as unforgiving as the PL, as you probably remember from last time. The can is kicked down the road season by season either way until either the club is insolvent - which won’t take long - or Gao sells at a big loss but still recovers a bit of money.

Even with break clauses in contracts if the likes of Stuart Armstrong didn’t have buyers who could afford the wages we’d lose money on those. Better to pull the plaster off as is happening at Derby, they have potential buyers that their administrator describes as serious and SFC would be quite attractive at a more sensible price as well. MSD have lent a much bigger sum than Derby so relegation gives them the keys really. Worrying if SMS has been used as part of the collateral but we will see. On the plus side Derby owe large football creditor debts and £20m to HMRC which at least SFC doesn’t have yet although that may happen if RH is sacked with a defeat at the weekend. 

55 minutes ago, Turkish said:

SFC already is really - staying up this season would just postpone the inevitable. 

There is of course a way out (aside from an increasingly unlikely buy out). It involves actually getting a couple of high quality youth players through each season to replace a couple of 1st team sales. Sadly this is a part of the club that has been criminally ignored for a good 5 years and I’m not seeing any improvement although the plan B of getting disgruntled youth players from other teams for relatively high amounts but potential big returns is a good but short term idea.

• Like 2

Jordan’s perspective is out of date. Might be right might be wrong but it’s from a moment in time when he had the opportunity to look in detail. 

It’s also just his perspective. Doesn’t mean it will be

As he said debt isn’t an issue as long as you can service it and I don’t believe that Kat and Chairman would write off millions of their asset value for the sake of servicing a debt. The cost to service is possibly no more than Lemina and Hoedts wages

in terms of trading and player movements it makes next to no difference. We still have to sell to buy and hopefully we can get this part of the model working again as it being broken for the last few years is why we are where we are. The money can give us the time to get back on track

livramento is a £40m gift that we should enjoy whilst he’s here

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

We have to sell players now with the premier league money. Those sales would only plug the gap, be replaced with far inferior players whilst we desperately scramble to survive before the loan repayments start.  It’s laughable that you’re trying to start an argument about this when previously when it’s been said some would prefer to be in the championship you stated it would be a disaster for the club to financially. It would be.

• Like 1

The accounts are there for all to see.  A wage bill not justified by on pitch performance and below average income.  COVID definitely impacted things obviously but we were trending the wrong way before that financially.  If the club could be run sustainably AND our Premier League status be comfortably assured then our owner would not be looking to sell and our CEO would not be seeking investment.  This club cannot be run sustainably and maintain a presence in this league any more.

• Like 1

I don't think we're alone in terms of haemorrhaging money though, I think most PL clubs did over the last 2 years. What amplified our situation were the huge contracts in the years before that for the failures like Hoedt, Lemina, Boufal etc etc. And then having to make a loss on every single one of them.

Mr Transfer Deadline day -  ''So where did the money from the VVD sale go? they've raised so much!'' - We did invest it, and heavily on record transfers etc. But sadly on a load of of absolute shit, basically. And that shit was so shit that we had to lose more money to get rid of them. Without an owner who is engaged or interested we can't really move forward in any way, we're stuck in this constant battle of trying to find player x who can be sold for £xxxxx so we can buy cover at LB.

Inevitably that will lead to relegation, no matter who is in charge of the first team. Just got to hope an ownership change can happen sooner rather than later, as I don't think we can limp along for much longer.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

I wonder if things really went tits up whether Kat would come in with a cheeky bid to buy back the club out of the money she got from Gao as she is still a minority shareholder?

Thing is - that wouldn't really change anything, as she clearly isn't interested in ploughing £xm into the club which is why she sold 80% in the first place.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Thing is - that wouldn't really change anything, as she clearly isn't interested in ploughing £xm into the club which is why she sold 80% in the first place.

And the other thing why wouldn't she just sell to another Gao type figure? She's already shown her judgement isn't the best with this sort of thing. 

14 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

And the other thing why wouldn't she just sell to another Gao type figure? She's already shown her judgement isn't the best with this sort of thing. 

I think her judgement was quite good selling 80% of SFC when nobody else would buy it.

If we go back 13 years there were no other interested buyers other than her father it does not seem that there were/are people interested in buying SFC with a spare £500m

it is hardly likely we are going to then morph into a top PL Club or the area can be developed into something substanstial 

5 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

Premier league clubs with out a benefactor, large match day income or other lucrative deals, are now like lower league clubs needing to pull off some big teansfer deals to survive. Its sad that a club of our size can not make it in the top flight.

Are we not making it in the top flight?

Or is 'making it' being like the super-rich clubs, with their wealthy owners buying success? Is there any merit in being like that, with all links to local people and players being severed? There are many Manchester United fans still rueing the Glazers takeover; Everton have spent plenty. What have they won? Spurs have 'the world's greatest stadium', and have spent hundreds of millions. Where are they in the league? I just feel a little perspective is needed, and constantly wonder about the negativity shown by 'supporters' on here.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Piran said:

Are we not making it in the top flight?

Or is 'making it' being like the super-rich clubs, with their wealthy owners buying success? Is there any merit in being like that, with all links to local people and players being severed? There are many Manchester United fans still rueing the Glazers takeover; Everton have spent plenty. What have they won? Spurs have 'the world's greatest stadium', and have spent hundreds of millions. Where are they in the league? I just feel a little perspective is needed, and constantly wonder about the negativity shown by 'supporters' on here.

Probably more to do with one shit season getting relegated and Saints are fucked for a long time financially, with the prospect of wallowing around the lower leagues. Fun.

2 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Probably more to do with one shit season getting relegated and Saints are fucked for a long time financially, with the prospect of wallowing around the lower leagues. Fun.

Funny thing is I had the most 'fun' supporting saints when we were in the lower leagues. Cheaper tickets, better connection with the players, no plastics at the games. Although that may be because most of the time we were winning. Whether we're fighting for europa league spots or fighting relegation in league 1 you'll still find me at the games. Just hope we can get through this little dark place we currently find ourselves in and make our way up the table again.