Ralph Charged

miserableoldgit

He wasn’t angry, he just chuckled. I wonder what he was supposed to say when asked to talk about that part of the match, which was a key moment in the drama. No comment? At least Thomas Tuchel behaved much worse with his reaction to the overturned Chelsea goal, and got yellow carded. I assume his fine and penalty will be more serious than Ralph’s. Or am I being naive? I hope not.

"I knew when Mike Dean was on the VAR that the referee would go and have a look at it," 

"I always have a bit of a problem when we know Mike Dean is on VAR because we don't have a good history with him, to be honest."

I mean, both fair points, but yeah he’ll get done for that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

"I knew when Mike Dean was on the VAR that the referee would go and have a look at it," 

"I always have a bit of a problem when we know Mike Dean is on VAR because we don't have a good history with him, to be honest."

He also said 

“You know that when Mike Dean is the VAR, he will send him to have a look at it (the monitor), and then it was okay from me, I think. He gave it."

He added: “But this is his job, I don’t want to say it is his fault because I haven’t seen it so far."

Struggling to see anything particularly wrong in any of that, factually speaking, but I guess the insinuation of bias will mean he'll get a financial slap. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, egg said:

He also said 

“You know that when Mike Dean is the VAR, he will send him to have a look at it (the monitor), and then it was okay from me, I think. He gave it."

He added: “But this is his job, I don’t want to say it is his fault because I haven’t seen it so far."

Struggling to see anything particularly wrong in any of that, factually speaking, but I guess the insinuation of bias will mean he'll get a financial slap. 

Yeah, i rewatched the BBC interview which is the one that your quote came from I think, no worries with that one. Just the extra quotes I found (not sure who they were to) that will IMO land him in bother, like you say it suggests a bias from Dean given the history of his appalling decisions against us.

52 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Yeah, i rewatched the BBC interview which is the one that your quote came from I think, no worries with that one. Just the extra quotes I found (not sure who they were to) that will IMO land him in bother, like you say it suggests a bias from Dean given the history of his appalling decisions against us.

I wonder if they’ll take his comments at face value or look into the history a bit. If they do look at deans history with us then it’s hard to disagree with Ralph’s comments. 

• Like 2

Here you are Ralph. You're not allowed to say it, so I'll say it for you, 'cos the FA can't charge me.

"Yes, we do have a problem with Mike Dean. He is an egotistical maniac who thinks the game is all about him and in my humble opinion, is nothing more than a wank stain on the duvet of life. As soon as I saw he was on VAR I knew we were utterly fucked".

• Haha 1

Mike Dean career stats here: https://www.transfermarkt.com/mike-dean/bilanz/schiedsrichter/379/plus/1?funktion=1&saison_id=&land_id=&verein_id=0&wettbewerb_id=GB1&heim_gast=

He's reffed Spurs 65 times: Given them 5 red cards (never a straight red) while sending off opposition players 14 times.

He's reffed us 29 times: Sent our players off 5 times (4 being straight reds), while never ever sending an opponent off against us. He's been VAR ref for us 3 times and had the red here. So 5 straight reds in 32 matches from him. Ridiculous.

Edited by Ultimatt

2 hours ago, Ultimatt said:

Mike Dean is bent. You can see his career stats here: https://www.transfermarkt.com/mike-dean/bilanz/schiedsrichter/379/plus/1?funktion=1&saison_id=&land_id=&verein_id=0&wettbewerb_id=GB1&heim_gast=

He's reffed Spurs 65 times: Given them 5 red cards (never a straight red) while sending off opposition players 14 times.

He's reffed us 29 times: Sent our players off 5 times (4 being straight reds), while never ever sending an opponent off against us. He's been VAR ref for us 3 times and had the red here. So 5 straight reds in 32 matches from him. Ridiculous.

Specifically "bent" against Southampton Football Club, which by a strange coincidence is the club you happen to support? 

What would be the point of that if you're Mike Dean? Let us know.

8 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Specifically "bent" against Southampton Football Club, which by a strange coincidence is the club you happen to support? 

What would be the point of that if you're Mike Dean? Let us know.

I wouldn't say specifically against Southampton, but maybe the criticism he gets from us influences it now.

He does seem pro Spurs though. 

These conspiracy theories are hilarious. Dean has nothing to gain by going out of his way to treat us unfairly, and everything (well his job) to lose. Trying to support the argument with stats is a proper straw clutching exercise. The latest stat in that red card list overlooks the small fact that JWP wasn't given the red card by Dean! All he said was take a look, the foul was a shocker (which it was) and the ref gave a red card (which it deserved). 

Edited by egg
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, egg said:

These conspiracy theories are hilarious. Dean has nothing to gain by going out of his way to treat us unfairly, and everything (well his job) to lose. Trying to support the argument with stats is a proper straw clutching exercise. The latest stat in that red card list overlooks the small fact that JWP wasn't given the red card by Dean! All he said was take a look, the foul was a shocker (which it was) and the ref gave a red card (which it deserved).

I'm expecting some sap to come along in a minute to tell us man didn't land on the moon. 

bit harsh but the world is flat.....................

Did the ref miss JWP's foul ? No.

Therefore the VAR had to decide if it was a "clear and obvious error" to only award a yellow, which decision was made. This for me is the dubious bit, as once a ref is told to review a decision at pitchside, he always "corrects" himself.

2 minutes ago, rooney said:

Referees should be charged to come out and make a comment about the game the same as the Managers have too.

The conversation between the onfield and VAR officials should be made available to broadcasters. Other sports manage.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Ultimatt said:

Mike Dean is bent. You can see his career stats here: https://www.transfermarkt.com/mike-dean/bilanz/schiedsrichter/379/plus/1?funktion=1&saison_id=&land_id=&verein_id=0&wettbewerb_id=GB1&heim_gast=

Oh dear!

You could be in trouble for this comment. Ill advised.

15 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

The conversation between the onfield and VAR officials should be made available to broadcasters. Other sports manage.

Absolutely. Referees should be accountable, and their should be transparency around decisions. Rugby has got it right. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, egg said:

Absolutely. Referees should be accountable, and their should be transparency around decisions. Rugby has got it right. 

Rugby also has reasonably well behaved players who give respect to the ref (game / rules in general).

Imagine having 'ref mike' broadcast live on TV, you'd have nearly every word 'beeped' out as the players from both sides surround him / her and call them a 'fucking cunt' or the commentators will have a meltdown apologising for the bad language that you might have heard...

Just now, Weston Super Saint said:

Rugby also has reasonably well behaved players who give respect to the ref (game / rules in general).

Imagine having 'ref mike' broadcast live on TV, you'd have nearly every word 'beeped' out as the players from both sides surround him / her and call them a 'fucking cunt' or the commentators will have a meltdown apologising for the bad language that you might have heard...

Easy to fix, you just make it very clear at the start of the season that any dissent will get a yellow card straight away, as will bad language. A simple step that football could take to make it a much better sport. Also, anyone who touches the ball after their team has been penalised or given away a deadball or fails to rapidly get 10 yards away gets an automatic yellow. Again, other sports don't suffer from this crap and it is easily fixed. The referees could have a positive impact on the game and make their lives much easier at the same time by being clear and strict about these things, instead of worrying about whether a sleeve is offside or getting the on pitch ref to revisit marginal decisions. 

• Like 2

Rugby referees tend to be good at their job, treat players with respect and equally, whoever they play for, and this allows them to clamp down on dissent.

They also explain decisions, and use VAR correctly.

Football needs to catch up.

If Mike Dean was good at his job he would command respect.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Pilchards said:

Did he not say we’ve had 3 red cards this year and Mike Dean has been involved in all of them?

How can Ralph be in bother for telling the truth? What the FA should do, but won't, is to look at Mike Dean. Did he instigate this charge or was it the FA?  I have heard managers say much worse things than what Ralph said but if Dean can find a way to cause problems for certain clubs, Saints being one of them, he will. He gets off on it, I reckon. Odious little creep.

1 hour ago, egg said:

The latest stat in that red card list overlooks the small fact that JWP wasn't given the red card by Dean!. 

Yes it was, because the ref originally gave a yellow and Dean convinced him to change it to a red. So without Dean, it would have likely stayed a yellow. It was not a clear and obvious error at all, so a more competent Ref on VAR would probably not have advised the on field ref to change. Pretty much every intervention I have seen from Dean when he is on VAR ranges from dubious to downright farcical. 

Quite obviously as the facts show, when Dean either refs us or is in charge of VAR, things tend to go against us more often than not. 

What the reason for that is I don't know, but if it just incompetence, which generally he is as a ref, its odd his biggest bouts of incompetence often seem to go against us, that is quite a streak of bad luck.

To such a level that the club and Ralph seem to have noticed it, hence Ralph's comments.

Overall Dean is a crap ref, crap on the pitch and even worse when he is involved on VAR, he should be nowhere near our games and I think the club has more than enough to show why he shouldn't, he has a catalogue of poor decisions against us alone, let alone his other fuck ups, that should mean he should be nowhere near elite level sport.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, rallyboy said:

Rugby referees tend to be good at their job, treat players with respect and equally, whoever they play for, and this allows them to clamp down on dissent.

That is true, rugby refs are much higher calibre, but so are rugby players. I don't think the yobbos who play football would respect anyone, maybe football should have ten minute time outs like rugby. 

5 hours ago, rallyboy said:

I know the point you're making and it's a valid one except the nature of many if not most professional footballers is not to show respect to officials - or anyone else - they've been brought up in  pampered environment of "me, me, me..." and how good they are, that's all that matters (other than the falsh lifestyles, tattos etc...). 

This is nothing new, in the 1960's/70's they would swarm around the ref to contest decisions. More recently the Robbie Savage incident of bursting in the refs changing room for a dump before the game...  an incident  seemingly  airbrushed from history since he became a media 'luvvie'.

Liverpool in their heyday reportedly froze a ref out after he had the audacity to give a decision against them, refused to look him in the eye or speak to him during a match, even a testimonial he attended where they were playing. Think this was Hanson and Lawrenson's era. 

As others have said rugby players generally conduct themselves better ('bloodgate' aside).

15 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

That is true, rugby refs are much higher calibre, but so are rugby players. I don't think the yobbos who play football would respect anyone, maybe football should have ten minute time outs like rugby. 

Except this might mean Liverpool/Man Utd being reduced to a five a side team after they surround and berate the ref after a decision is given against them, City even at the Etihad this season even after the penalty/red card was given. Unfortunately such antics sometimes work, whereas our lot meekly accept decisions, did we actively even seek the penalty at Newcastle ?

6 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Christ! Can you imagine the interviews!  There's a reason why they are refs and not TV 'personalities'....

Think this is the sort of media frenzy and opportunity to become a celeb that would give a cretin like Mike Dean a 'hard on' frankly.

Best wait till he takes his 'personality' into the jungle and "I'm a celebrity..".  I'll definitely vote for a couple of kangaroos to have the opportunity of eating his testicles.

Edited by Badger

25 minutes ago, Badger said:

I know the point you're making and it's a valid one except the nature of many if not most professional footballers is not to show respect to officials - or anyone else - they've been brought up in  pampered environment of "me, me, me..." and how good they are, that's all that matters (other than the falsh lifestyles, tattos etc...). 

This is nothing new, in the 1960's/70's they would swarm around the ref to contest decisions. More recently the Robbie Savage incident of bursting in the refs changing room for a dump before the game...  an incident  seemingly  airbrushed from history since he became a media 'luvvie'.

Liverpool in their heyday reportedly froze a ref out after he had the audacity to give a decision against them, refused to look him in the eye or speak to him during a match, even a testimonial he attended where they were playing. Think this was Hanson and Lawrenson's era. 

As others have said rugby players generally conduct themselves better ('bloodgate' aside).

Except this might mean Liverpool/Man Utd being reduced to a five a side team after they surround and berate the ref after a decision is given against them, City even at the Etihad this season even after the penalty/red card was given. Unfortunately such antics sometimes work, whereas our lot meekly accept decisions, did we actively even seek the penalty at Newcastle ?

It would have that effect, they wouldn't repeat it too often though. I would like to see such discipline bought in, football won't accept it, but footballers are role models and it does have an effect on wider behaviour. Bring back the birch and the cat too while we're at it!

2 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

It would have that effect, they wouldn't repeat it too often though. I would like to see such discipline bought in, football won't accept it, but footballers are role models and it does have an effect on wider behaviour. Bring back the birch and the cat too while we're at it!

Do you mean as half time entertainment screened from the centre circle ?

Think the Human Rights Lobby might get involved somewhere along the line here. 

18 hours ago, The Kraken said:

The polite way of saying “Mike Dean is a cunt”. He is - very, very obviously - but you can’t say that even politely.

3 hours ago, Badger said:

Can’t play with less than seven but I’d love to see it.

13 hours ago, Ultimatt said:

I wouldn't say specifically against Southampton, but maybe the criticism he gets from us influences it now.

He does seem pro Spurs though. 

I can’t stand Mike Dean but even I have to defend him here. He’s celebrating waving play on and getting a call right. Mike Reed got hammered 20 odd years ago for doing the same thing at Anfield and he was a far better ref. Dean makes plenty of bloopers and seems arrogant for someone so inept but even he’s allowed to celebrate an occasion doing his job well. As others have said, he is an example of a broken system, standards of officiating at the Euros let alone cricket and rugby where it is so much more transparent are light years away from the PGMOL shitshow. Sacking Riley would be a start, Durkin, Webb or Halsey please who knew what they were doing. 

• Like 1