Swansea 2-3 Saints - Match Thread

Lighthouse

1 hour ago, Sideways Jim said:

A mate said he saw it on Sky sports, he has checked again and it has now been removed. 

Why are u always so cynical 🙄😴

It was showing Swansea's game today is off (v Fulham)

56 minutes ago, M271 said:

My take from that is that the large number of players who had to miss the games over Xmas and new year will all be out of isolation before Saturday, so unless the entire rest of the squad has come down with it since then it looks like it will go ahead.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

My take from that is that the large number of players who had to miss the games over Xmas and new year will all be out of isolation before Saturday, so unless the entire rest of the squad has come down with it since then it looks like it will go ahead.

Hope so. Really want to see a Saints game - feels like ages since we played.

Edited by Suhari

On 02/01/2022 at 08:21, VectisSaint said:

Best not to play Small, Simeu or any other B team debutants, we don't need any more players confirmed as PL capable in case of a covid/injury crisis in the next few weeks. 

Not sure "PL capable" can be defined as playing a mid-table championship club in a cup match.

• Like 1

Thing is what rules are followed for the FA Cup with regards potential postponements. We have heard a lot from the PL and the EFL about what constitutes grounds for psotponement, but what guidelines will the FA use, when they have to consider the differences between the clubs from the PL and EFL? It does sound from Swansea that they expect to go ahead, but it could be that Saints have an outbreak. Earliest I see any announcement would be Thursday. 

5 minutes ago, SaintTex said:

Not sure "PL capable" can be defined as playing a mid-table championship club in a cup match.

I think otherwise, what they are avoiding is players that have played in the Football League Trophy or PL2 or that have played for other teams in the EFL, maybe even the League Cup. My comment was largely tongue in cheek anyway, I don't think Saints would play these "games" especially as they have complained about others doing so. Thinking about it of course Small would not be an issue anyway as he has already played in the PL (for Everton).

Edited by VectisSaint

38 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Thinking about it of course Small would not be an issue anyway as he has already played in the PL (for Everton).

No, he hasn't. His one and only appearance was in the FA cup against Sheff Wednesday.

It's all moot anyway because he's listed as being in the first team squad on the OS.

7 hours ago, adriansfc said:

Nice to be able to put out two fairly decent sides while resting people. Just include 1 or 2 youngsters, Small needs a game, maybe Finnegan or Chauke in midfield. 

Swansea:

Forster

KWP Valery Stephens Small

JWP Diallo Finnegan

Walcott Armstrong Tella

Brentford:

Forster

Tino Bednarek Salisu Perraud

Romeu JWP

Armstrong Elyounoussi Redmond

Broja

Valery and Stephens as a centre back partnership does seem to be asking for trouble even against Michael o'Bafemi. 

We'll probably give Shane Long some more minutes as well.  

14 hours ago, JRM said:

Valery and Stephens as a centre back partnership does seem to be asking for trouble even against Michael o'Bafemi. 

We'll probably give Shane Long some more minutes as well

why would we want to do that? We know what he is capable of and to be Frank if we need to rely on him for goals this season we will struggle to stay up.  

22 hours ago, adriansfc said:

Nice to be able to put out two fairly decent sides while resting people. Just include 1 or 2 youngsters, Small needs a game, maybe Finnegan or Chauke in midfield. 

Swansea:

Forster

KWP Valery Stephens Small

JWP Diallo Finnegan

Walcott Armstrong Tella

Brentford:

Forster

Tino Bednarek Salisu Perraud

Romeu JWP

Armstrong Elyounoussi Redmond

Broja

I agree that we could easily put out 2 different starting 11s for those matches. Ones where both should be reasonably expected to win. However, my teams would be slightly different to yours:

Sat Vs Swansea

Willy

Valery    Lyanco     Bednarek

KWP       Diallo       Stu Arm        Small

Theo         Che         Arma

Tues Vs Brentford

FF

Tino     Stephens    Salisu     Perraud

JWP      Romeu      Moi

Redmond     Broja       Tella

That said, I think at least JWP and FF will start both matches. Possibly Bednarek as well. The only certainties are that Salisu can't play on Sat and KWP can't play on Tues.

31 minutes ago, Minsk said:

I agree that we could easily put out 2 different starting 11s for those matches. Ones where both should be reasonably expected to win. However, my teams would be slightly different to yours:

Sat Vs Swansea

Willy

Valery    Lyanco     Bednarek

KWP       Diallo       Stu Arm        Small

Theo         Che         Arma

Tues Vs Brentford

FF

Tino     Stephens    Salisu     Perraud

JWP      Romeu      Moi

Redmond     Broja       Tella

That said, I think at least JWP and FF will start both matches. Possibly Bednarek as well. The only certainties are that Salisu can't play on Sat and KWP can't play on Tues.

Salisu is suspended for the Brentford game according to this: https://www.premierleague.com/news/2287133?sf252569615=1, not Swansea. However Gabriel is suspended from the EFL cup for his 2 yellows. How does that work?

If Salisu is suspended for Brentford I'd go:

For Swansea

Willy

Valery Lyanco Salisu Perraud

JWP Diallo

Stu Tella

Adams Armstrong

And for the Brentford game:

FF

Tino Stephens Bednarek KWP

JWP Romeu

Ely Redmond

Broja Armstrong

I think Adam Armstrong should play both as he needs minutes in the side, Stu needs minutes too and the Swansea game is the right time. Without Salisu then Bednarek Stephens is our best pairing (but still is not good). Elyounoussi and Redmond on current form are our best AM's but Tella is doing well too and should be the first off the bench in the second half if we need goals.

1 hour ago, devonsaint said:

Salisu is suspended for the Brentford game according to this: https://www.premierleague.com/news/2287133?sf252569615=1, not Swansea. However Gabriel is suspended from the EFL cup for his 2 yellows. How does that work?

I think/hope that is just wrong. It seems quite clear that a ban from 2 yellows in one game can be cleared in any eligble FA competition, which should include the FA cup, whilst cumulative yellow card bans can only be cleared in the competition in which they were earnt. We'll see I guess. 

On 03/01/2022 at 17:56, Sheaf Saint said:

No, he hasn't. His one and only appearance was in the FA cup against Sheff Wednesday.

It's all moot anyway because he's listed as being in the first team squad on the OS.

Sorry didn't come back on this sooner, had used my 3 posts up. You are of course right that his appearance was in the FA Cup, serves me right for relying on memory rather than checking the data. But FA Cup does seem to be considered top level capable so it doesn't change the situation. But the point I needed to make about your comment is that it is not the OS Squad that you need to look at, that reflects nothing in particular. It is the Premier league Squad list that is the reference, the (25 man) squad and the associated list of u21 players. Small may be on the OS list but he is not in the PL Squad (because he is u21). Anyway, all a moot point now, as I said before my post was largely tongue in cheek anyway, but there is no reason not to play Small. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, derry said:

As I read it Salisu's suspension is served by missing any FA competition whilst JWP's suspension is the next PL match.

JWP is suspended as well?  😉

The "Essential Information for players 2021/22" document issued by the FA says that a player who receives a red card (for 2 yellows in the same match) in the Premier League, EFL Leagues or National League is suspended for 1 match in (a) the relevant League in which the Player's Club competes, (b) FA Cup and (c) the EFL Cup (it also includes the Women's Leagues but that just muddies the water). From that it seems the Premier League [age is incorrect and that Salisu's suspension should be served in the Swansea match, not Brentford. The only other explanation I can see for the Premier League site saying what they are would be if Salisu was actually given a straight red, but I am reasonably sure I saw the ref brandish a (2nd) yellow first before the red was shown (Salisu won't know because he had his back to the ref).

https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/discipline/player-essentials

There is no question about KWP's suspension, it applies to the next PL match (Brentford). 

1 hour ago, VectisSaint said:

Sorry didn't come back on this sooner, had used my 3 posts up. You are of course right that his appearance was in the FA Cup, serves me right for relying on memory rather than checking the data. But FA Cup does seem to be considered top level capable so it doesn't change the situation. But the point I needed to make about your comment is that it is not the OS Squad that you need to look at, that reflects nothing in particular. It is the Premier league Squad list that is the reference, the (25 man) squad and the associated list of u21 players. Small may be on the OS list but he is not in the PL Squad (because he is u21). Anyway, all a moot point now, as I said before my post was largely tongue in cheek anyway, but there is no reason not to play Small. 

Yeah fair point. Although, and I don't ever see this scenario actually arising, if the PL's decision to grant us a postponement on the basis of not enough senior players all hinged on whether or not Small was classed as a senior player, it would be hard for us to argue that he isn't if we've listed him in the first team on the OS.

But anyway, this is veering into the realms of so unlileky that it's not worth worrying about. And as it happens, I wouldn't be bothered at all if we were forced to rely on playing Small due to other players being missing. He's a big talent and I'm quite surprised he hasn't featured already.

Edited by Sheaf Saint

15 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

The "Essential Information for players 2021/22" document issued by the FA says that a player who receives a red card (for 2 yellows in the same match) in the Premier League, EFL Leagues or National League is suspended for 1 match in (a) the relevant League in which the Player's Club competes, (b) FA Cup and (c) the EFL Cup (it also includes the Women's Leagues but that just muddies the water). From that it seems the Premier League [age is incorrect and that Salisu's suspension should be served in the Swansea match, not Brentford. The only other explanation I can see for the Premier League site saying what they are would be if Salisu was actually given a straight red, but I am reasonably sure I saw the ref brandish a (2nd) yellow first before the red was shown (Salisu won't know because he had his back to the ref).

There is no question about KWP's suspension, it applies to the next PL match (Brentford). 

As it's looking increasingly likely the game will be off, this will all be academic.

14 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

KWP not JWP looks like wrong key and no read back. Definitely two yellows for Salisu.

55 minutes ago, igsey said:

Is Willy even still contracted to us by the time this game rolls around?

This was on SSN earlier -

Breaking news

Willy Caballero is in talks with Southampton over extending his stay beyond January. 

The goalkeeper is set to stay at Southampton for the rest of the season after Ralph Hasenhuttl confirms plan to extend goalkeeper's one-month contract after impressive displays since joining the club. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

This was on SSN earlier -

Breaking news

Willy Caballero is in talks with Southampton over extending his stay beyond January. 

The goalkeeper is set to stay at Southampton for the rest of the season after Ralph Hasenhuttl confirms plan to extend goalkeeper's one-month contract after impressive displays since joining the club. 

🤔 The definition of impressive must have changed in the oxford dictionary

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

I just read that teams must field a team even if youngsters from academy.

Maybe why we recalled Big Dan from Lincoln

He's got to Cheltenham but i think you're right games will be on this weekend, bit of inside info could do well on the bets 

• Haha 1

KWP, Small and Adams out with COVID. Tino and Smallbone out injured from Ralphs presser. Wonder what will happen in the fullback positions, Perraud and Stephens?

Edit: Completely forgot Valery existed thanks Wimborne! (also think KWP was suspended for Brentford and not Swansea due to accumulation of yellow being EPL only)

Edited by Saint-Reece

16 minutes ago, Saint Charminster said:

KWP was suspended anyway, so could not have played irrespective of COVID.

As mentioned above, KWP suspension is for accumulation of yellow cards and, therefore, only applicable to league matches. So he could have played in the cup on Saturday but is suspended for Brentford on Tuesday.

15 minutes ago, Saint Charminster said:

KWP was suspended anyway, so could not have played irrespective of COVID.

Hes suspended for league game, not this one.

On the back of that news...bit of a lottery as to who will start where.  Bet Ralph is a bit annoyed that Small is missing as would have been a great chance of him getting on the pitch with KWP and Tino both out too. I assume Stephens is back fit/out of isolation? Assuming he wants to give Simeu his debut I'd go with the following...

Caballero

Valery Stephens Simeu Perraud

Diallo JWP

Armstrong Armstrong Broja Tella

Though wouldn't be surprised if any of the following start...Bednarek, Lyanco, Walcott, Elyounoussi, Redmond, Long

Given Covid and injuries, expecting the starting 11 to be something like:

Willy

Valery   Lyanco  Bednarek   Perraud

Diallo

JWP           Moi

Theo                                  Arma

Long

(That would keep the likes of FF, Salisu, Stephens, Romeu, Tella, Redmond, Stu Armstrong and Broja fresh for Tuesday - even if some are needed to come off the bench - with fingers crossed for Tino, Che, Small and Smallbone also back in contention by then.)

11 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Hes suspended for league game, not this one.

On the back of that news...bit of a lottery as to who will start where.  Bet Ralph is a bit annoyed that Small is missing as would have been a great chance of him getting on the pitch with KWP and Tino both out too. I assume Stephens is back fit/out of isolation? Assuming he wants to give Simeu his debut I'd go with the following...

Caballero

Valery Stephens Simeu Perraud

Diallo JWP

Armstrong Armstrong Broja Tella

Though wouldn't be surprised if any of the following start...Bednarek, Lyanco, Walcott, Elyounoussi, Redmond, Long

I doubt we start Broja tbh. He is one of our most important players right now and has picked up a couple of injuries already. I would definitely rest him for Brentford.

I'd go:

Willy

Valery Stephens Bednarek Perraud

JWP Diallo

Stu Djenepo

Armstrong Tella

48 minutes ago, TWar said:

I doubt we start Broja tbh. He is one of our most important players right now and has picked up a couple of injuries already. I would definitely rest him for Brentford.

I'd go:

Willy

Valery Stephens Bednarek Perraud

JWP Diallo

Stu Djenepo

Armstrong Tella

Djenepo is at ACN in Cameroon playing for Mali.

28 minutes ago, Totton Saint said:

Why are so many not picking FF?

It’s fairly pointless giving Caballero an extended contract and then not playing him in these type of games. He needs game time to keep sharp (particularly at his age) if called upon at short notice.

Edited by alehouseboys

• Lighthouse changed the title to Swansea 2-3 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic