Ralph to bow out in around 2 years (2024)

AlexLaw76

A bit presumptuous of him in my opinion, the new owners may well have plans that don't include him.

A few weeks ago a lot of us had had an absolute gutful of him, a few good results and he is once again the messiah. (I confess to being one of the fickle ones) Things change so quickly in life and especially in football management.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

A bit presumptuous of him in my opinion, the new owners may well have plans that don't include him.

A few weeks ago a lot of us had had an absolute gutful of him, a few good results and he is once again the messiah. (I confess to being one of the fickle ones) Things change so quickly in life and especially in football management.

Seems like they don't, from what they've said post take over

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SaintBobby said:

Kind of odd to say this, I agree. The plan itself isn't odd, but it's hard to see how it helps anyone to put it in the public domain.

Yes, I think Ralph sometimes has a naive side to him and this seems one of those occasions. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. It shouldn't really matter that he has announced this if everyone is grown up about it as 2.5 years is a long time and I applaud his honesty.

But we know that premier League football is not the most grown up environment and I fear this being known will change attitudes of players and fans when we go through bad spells of results, which undoubtedly we will at times in that period. And that may force a change earlier than would otherwise have been the case had it not been public that he plans to leave at end of contract anyway.

11 minutes ago, Saint Pete said:

Yes, I think Ralph sometimes has a naive side to him and this seems one of those occasions. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. It shouldn't really matter that he has announced this if everyone is grown up about it as 2.5 years is a long time and I applaud his honesty.

But we know that premier League football is not the most grown up environment and I fear this being known will change attitudes of players and fans when we go through bad spells of results, which undoubtedly we will at times in that period. And that may force a change earlier than would otherwise have been the case had it not been public that he plans to leave at end of contract anyway.

Spot on

14 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Basically from how I read that is that he intends to see out his contract with us, what happens after that is still a bit unknown. I thought that was always the case if I'm honest.

I guess he gets so emotionally involved in the cut and thrust of football that he fancies a bit of a break. I can't imagine it will be the end of him in football once he leaves us though, he still has a lot to offer. Similar to Pep, he's toyed with the 'quitting' football idea after his City contract finishes but I'm sure he'll be back.

We just need to give Ralph all the tools we can in these next 2 years in order for him to put us on the strongest footing possible, he can also have a hand in appointing his successor.

It would be a very brave man who chose retirement with no income over a job offer of £5m per year especially at a fit and healthy 60 with every prospect of living until 100.

People often say daft things when being interviewed presumably carried away in the thoughts of that moment. I'll believe it when I see it happen. 

I really don't see what the big deal is. For starters it's not an 'announcement' as such, clearly he's done an interview with Kicker and they probably asked him about his future plans and he's said he intends to see out his contract with us before likely taking a break. That's nearly 2 1/2 years away and obviously a lot can change in that time. It's also as pointed out above not the first time he's said something along those lines, yet no-one got their knickers in a twist about it before.

If he was saying he will be going at the end of this season that would be different, but all he's saying is he's committed to seeing out his contract which to me is a good thing. That doesn't exclude the possibility of him being sacked if things go tits up in the mean time. Management is a very demanding job both physically and mentally, I don't blame him for not wanting to carry on into his 60's and 70's. 5 1/2 years managing a PL club is a long time these days.

• Like 6

43 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Very silly thing to say imo. Short term probably little impact as its still some way off.

However if he's still here for that last year it'll likely be horrrible. Hope the club wouldn't accept such a scenario and would cut him loose early.

As always it comes down to how we are playing. The club has time to plan for every eventuality.

• Like 1

From watching some German football, it's not uncommon for players and coaches to announce that they are leaving in advance of the end of the season. They seem to be grown up about it, and there's no suggestion of anyone slacking off as a result.

So Ralph speaking to a magazine that covers the league in which he used to manage, with such openess, isn't unheard of.

• Like 1

If Ralph stays the way he has been since he joined then I am pleased to hear he is planning to move on. Personally I would prefer he left sooner. If we are planning to move on and upwards then we need a better class of coach and coaching staff. 

Yes he may improve but that's a big If. So far with his record I think we need a better manager

• Confused 6
  • Sad 2

22 minutes ago, Kermitzasaint said:

If Ralph stays the way he has been since he joined then I am pleased to hear he is planning to move on. Personally I would prefer he left sooner. If we are planning to move on and upwards then we need a better class of coach and coaching staff. 

Yes he may improve but that's a big If. So far with his record I think we need a better manager

Ralph has his flaws but I legitimately can’t think of another manager who:

1) We could realistically get

2) I would rather have than him

We have a settled happy team who don’t play boring football. I think a lot of teams would love to be in our stable position.

• Like 8

Why all the panic? 2024 is a while away yet. He only needs to have a bad run of results then fans will be wanting him gone before then. Saints are not famous for keeping managers for decades. I think in Rupert Lowe's 10 years at the club we had 10 managers. Some good, some still giving me nightmares. Someone will come along in the way all the others have. Ralph is not indispensable. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

He is a multi millionaire already, he doesn't need the money.

What on earth does that mean?  What an absurd thing to say.

Every Premier League Player is a millionaire in their teens.  Does that mean they stop asking for the highest wages they can get for the rest of their careers?

Not sure what people mean by a better manager. Football is a very simple game  and most managers are well qualified for the job and there is very little between any of them. If you get a bit of luck with injuries, signings work out, get off to a good start so the players have confidence in you , fans like your style of play you may become a good manager. Take Mark Hughes, with his experience he should have been one of our best managers but wasn't yet some of our best managers have been awful elsewhere - McMenemy , Ball, Strachan, Koeman . Were they good or bad managers?

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Thankfully, you have nothing to do with the recruitment of premier League coaches/managers 

I… why only quote half of the statement 😂😂😂

The internet is a marvellous place. I have no intention of picking pl managers thank you, seems a thankless job based on the average fan.

Edited by farawaysaint

30 minutes ago, once_bitterne said:

Every Premier League Player is a millionaire in their teens.  Does that mean they stop asking for the highest wages they can get for the rest of their careers?

I'd guess it means he's in a position to retire at 57 with enough money to support whatever lifestyle he wants to have and with no concerns about his finances. (from a 56 year old who wishes he was in the same position) 

1 hour ago, once_bitterne said:

It isn't absurd at all. See below...

37 minutes ago, jemanson said:

I'd guess it means he's in a position to retire at 57 with enough money to support whatever lifestyle he wants to have and with no concerns about his finances. (from a 56 year old who wishes he was in the same position) 

19 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

It isn't absurd at all. See below...

Your defense for arguing what you have said isn't absurd is to quote some one else posting a similar thought on a football message board?  Because obviously absurd things are never posted on message boards....   You're quite special aren't you?

Can you please supply evidential proof of people involved in football who retire at an early age as 'they have enough money'.

Your defense for arguing what you have said isn't absurd is to quote some one else posting a similar thought on a football message board?  Because obviously absurd things are never posted on message boards....   You're quite special aren't you?

Can you please supply evidential proof of people involved in football who retire at an early age as 'they have enough money'.

Dani Osvaldo?

I don't see it as the big issue others are saying. It is a long, long time away in football. It's longer than Pochettino or Koeman spent at the club. 

By that point there will be a whole different crop of good, bad, upcoming and on their way out managers in world football. 

And personally, if we end up pushing the Europa League places in the next two years (which I think we will after this summer) there is no chance he walks out at that point.

• Like 1

You've taken my original post completely out of context of the post it was a reply to.

• Haha 1

This really isn't much of an issue. All he is actually saying is that he has a contract that expires in 2.5 years, and he plans to see it out, i.e. he is looking to do what he agreed with the club. That will be after more than 5 years at the club, which is an eternity in football, let alone the Premier League. After that aged 57 he might put his feet up and retire, but he admits he doesn't know whether he will actually have enough will power to walk away from the game that he clearly loves. I'm sure it will all depend on how things are going at the time, if things are good he will probably carry on, but if not he will quit. Seems a pretty sensible approach to me, doesn't particularly relish doing this into his 60s or beyond, better to have some fun while he still can. The fact of the matter is, if Saints aren't improving in 6 months, 18 months whatever he will get the sack, but at least Saints know where he stands and have the opportunity to plan in advance for a handover, probably with Ralph playing a part in that transition. Gives us the confidence that we won't be going down the dinosaur route anytime soon, Fat Sam, Arry and Bruce need not apply.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, once_bitterne said:

It’s not absurd at all, plenty of people retire early if they have enough money. There is more to life than a constant slog to try and stuff you bank account with as much cash as possible.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, aintforever said:

It’s not absurd at all, plenty of people retire early if they have enough money. There is more to life than a constant slog to try and stuff you bank account with as much cash as possible.

What footballers have retired early because they have enough money?

5 minutes ago, Turkish said:

What footballers have retired early because they have enough money?

I guess he will retire from football management and all the intense pressures, don't blame him, but there are loads of other football related activities without the heavy responsibility. Sounds like common sense to me.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dellman said:

I guess he will retire from football management and all the intense pressures, don't blame him, but there are loads of other football related activities without the heavy responsibility. Sounds like common sense to me.

Yes I agree, but that’s not retiring because he has enough money. He probably already doesn’t need to work ever again just on what he’s earned whilst at saints. 

I think Ralph’s brush with death might have given him a different perspective on his future because of this. I caught a very similar virus. It’s not just the normal unpleasantness you have a temporary dementia. Horrendous. I was originally misdiagnosed but if they hadn’t caught it in time I’d have croaked it. Thankfully you fully recover maybe not so much psychologically. 
I now work hard and keep fit but it definitely grounds you/

https://3pointsforawin.com/southampton-boss-ralph-hasenhuttl-reveals-he-almost-died-in-intensive-care-eight-years-ago-after-battling-hantavirus/

Please provide evidential proof/stats of anyone involved in top level football who quits the game, when at their peak, as "they have enough money".

Thank you.

Alex Ferguson retired having just won the league title in 2012-13, so was still at his peak and I'm pretty sure that he didn't have any money worries 🙂 

As someone who is personally considering when to retire, Ralph's explanation resonates with me and I understand his rationale. As others have stated elsewhere, "having enough money" is a relative thing and it depends what life style you are planning for the next 30 years on your life. And that's where it becomes tricky; I'm ok with a couple of European holidays per year in my twilight years, but Mrs WalkDMC has a different plan of touring South America and visiting the Maldives each year.   My chosen date for retirement will be determined by who has the final say on our retirement lifestyle ........ 

I am sure Ralph and Mrs Rabbit Hutch will have similar discussions as the 2024 retirement date gets closer. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, WALK DMC said:

Alex Ferguson retired having just won the league title in 2012-13, so was still at his peak and I'm pretty sure that he didn't have any money worries 🙂 

As someone who is personally considering when to retire, Ralph's explanation resonates with me and I understand his rationale. As others have stated elsewhere, "having enough money" is a relative thing and it depends what life style you are planning for the next 30 years on your life. And that's where it becomes tricky; I'm ok with a couple of European holidays per year in my twilight years, but Mrs WalkDMC has a different plan of touring South America and visiting the Maldives each year.   My chosen date for retirement will be determined by who has the final say on our retirement lifestyle ........ 

I am sure Ralph and Mrs Rabbit Hutch will have similar discussions as the 2024 retirement date gets closer. 

He was 71 when he retired! He'd also changed his mind about retiring in 2001 when he announced he would go at the end of that season, 11 years before he actually did. So no, he didnt quit because he had enough money. 

Poor old MLG cant think of a single example 😂

47 minutes ago, WALK DMC said:

Sounds like we are married to the same malcontent? 

1 hour ago, WALK DMC said:

SAF was in his 70s when he retired......

Seems a non-issue to me, I'd expect the club to be contingency planning anyway and have a list of a managers they are keeping an eye on should Ralph get poached or has such a terrible run they decide to go in a different direction. (this also to be fair probably makes the poaching less likely as well).

Managing at this sort of level is demanding, and Ralph is also a details and hands on orientated coach, he spends ages drilling players on the different aspects of the game he wants to play and IIRC it was said in an article that he is basically the first one in the door and one of the last out, so he's a bit of a workaholic, so probably just needs a rest.

If anything this makes future planning probably a little easier IMO, especially as I said he's unlikely to change jobs now so we should have continued stability in the manager whilst the new owners grow their model and improve the club. 

6 hours ago, once_bitterne said:

Please provide evidential proof/stats of anyone involved in top level football who quits the game, when at their peak, as "they have enough money".

Thank you.

Dani Osvaldo quite the game presumably because he felt comfortable enough to pursue his other interests (i.e. music), you could argue he wasn't at his peak in playing terms but probably was in earning terms. Eric Cantona and George Best also quite while at their peak.

1 minute ago, VectisSaint said:

Dani Osvaldo quite the game presumably because he felt comfortable enough to pursue his other interests (i.e. music), you could argue he wasn't at his peak in playing terms but probably was in earning terms. Eric Cantona and George Best also quite while at their peak.

Osvaldo didn't exactly quit. after a load of loan spells whilst with us he played 7 games for Porto before he signed for Boca and was sacked after falling out with the manager after being caught smoking in the dressing room.