BBC MotD coverage

Professor

Not being a  BBC viewer, I only see MotD in other peole's homes, but when I do see it, I've noticed that if Danny Murphy is one of the analysts, he usually gives a very positive assessment of Saints.  A positive fan peehaps and if so, nice to have you on board, Danny. But for the 1-1 draw away to Man U the other presenter was Jermaine Jenas.  What Janus had to say was negativem ill-judged and hypocritical.  He said he didn't like Ralph Hassenhuttl's comment that when Man U lose the ball, the reverse gears are not the best.  Jenas said "I don't like it...he's had such a great week he should focus on that and what his tea are doing" Danny Murphy pointed out that Ralph was simply responding to a question he was asked, to which Jenas said Ralph should have refused to answer. If Jenas doesnt like negative observations, he shouldn't make one himself. 

Maybe as a former Tottenham player, Jhe was still upset at the defeat Saints had handed to his old club  a couple of days earlier.  If he didn't like a manager talking about the opposing team, he shouldn't be on MotD because how the other team has played is a part of post-match assessment.  

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Professor said:

Not being a  BBC viewer, I only see MotD in other peole's homes, but when I do see it, I've noticed that if Danny Murphy is one of the analysts, he usually gives a very positive assessment of Saints.  A positive fan peehaps and if so, nice to have you on board, Danny. But for the 1-1 draw away to Man U the other presenter was Jermaine Jenas.  What Janus had to say was negativem ill-judged and hypocritical.  He said he didn't like Ralph Hassenhuttl's comment that when Man U lose the ball, the reverse gears are not the best.  Jenas said "I don't like it...he's had such a great week he should focus on that and what his tea are doing" Danny Murphy pointed out that Ralph was simply responding to a question he was asked, to which Jenas said Ralph should have refused to answer. If Jenas doesnt like negative observations, he shouldn't make one himself. 

Maybe as a former Tottenham player, Jhe was still upset at the defeat Saints had handed to his old club  a couple of days earlier.  If he didn't like a manager talking about the opposing team, he shouldn't be on MotD because how the other team has played is a part of post-match assessment.  

I think Jermaine Jenas still has to learn being a presenter isn’t all about him. Easily the worst presenter when he is on the One Show……Managers talk about the opposing team usually negatively all the time. Few honourable exceptions like Pep Guardiola….

30 minutes ago, Professor said:

Well said Prof. 

Most post match “interviews” are a f**king waste of time, it’s purely about the ad space. Ralph’s honest point of view is as valid as anyones and I welcome it, I’d also welcome more honest opinions from the managers. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Professor said:

BBC studio pundits are a good reason not to be a BBC viewer Professor. But spare a thought that it's hard for some of them having to share that IQ point around. A production assistant races on while the match footage is on, to move the point around.

If I catch match of the day (very rarely), I make sure to watch it well after it's started so I can fast forward through their rubbish. I keep waiting for Jenas' parents to come in and tell him he's grounded for being up so late.

I do admit to sometimes being a bit surprised by Ralphs honesty in his answers. But that's as much a reflection on the vacuous questions that are normally asked.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

BBC studio pundits are a good reason not to be a BBC viewer Professor. But spare a thought that it's hard for some of them having to share that IQ point around. A production assistant races on while the match footage is on, to move the point around.

If I catch match of the day (very rarely), I make sure to watch it well after it's started so I can fast forward through their rubbish. I keep waiting for Jenas' parents to come in and tell him he's grounded for being up so late.

I do admit to sometimes being a bit surprised by Ralphs honesty in his answers. But that's as much a reflection on the vacuous questions that are normally asked.

27 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

If a manager doesn't answer the questions put to him, he would be in trouble for that. Maybe  if the panel don't approve comments on the other team, they should not ask questions about the other team. Simple. 

13 minutes ago, Dellman said:

If a manager doesn't answer the questions put to him, he would be in trouble for that. Maybe  if the panel don't approve comments on the other team, they should not ask questions about the other team. Simple. 

Yups. Had Ralph gone off on a tangent, or not answered at all, he would have been picked up on that. It's only a MOTD studio pundit. Their mouths only open and spew rubbish so that air can get in.

9 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Yups. Had Ralph gone off on a tangent, or not answered at all, he would have been picked up on that. It's only a MOTD studio pundit. Their mouths only open and spew rubbish so that air can get in.

Also If my memory serves Jenus then followed up by criticising MUFC?

Jesus f**king wept.

Get a grip you bunch of absolute fannies.

Wah wah wah the media are against us again.

This is the same forum who have never, ever, stopped going on and on and on and on about what Brendan Rodgers said about us once, right?

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

He did. Totally hypocritical. Managers always talk about the opposition, I don’t get what his issue was…….well I do, us beating Spurs

Jermaine Jenas is a Nottingham boy and Forest fan. He wouldn’t give a flying f**k that Saints beat Spurs.

Honestly you people are absolutely insane.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CB Fry said:

Jesus f**king wept.

This is the same forum who have never, ever, stopped going on and on and on and on about what Brendan Rodgers said about us once, right?

We’ve got a weird set of supporters that follow us or at least the most vocal ones on the internet.

Get so worked up over the smallest of things. Who gives a f**k what the MOTD pundits say. Watch the game / highlights and make your own decision on things. 

I tend to agree that perhaps Ralph shouldn’t have comment on United. I don’t think he meant it in poor taste, but it’s not really his squad to dig out (even if he was sticking up for his mate). 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Dman said:

Who gives a f**k what the MOTD pundits say. Watch the game / highlights and make your own decision on things. 

I tend to agree that perhaps Ralph shouldn’t have comment on United. I don’t think he meant it in poor taste, but it’s not really his squad to dig out (even if he was sticking up for his mate). 

I didn't get a "media are against us" vibe from the other posts. I thought we all agreed that they weren't worth listening to. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dman said:

We’ve got a weird set of supporters that follow us or at least the most vocal ones on the internet.

Get so worked up over the smallest of things. Who gives a f**k what the MOTD pundits say. Watch the game / highlights and make your own decision on things. 

Says one of the most vocal - you couldn’t make it up.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Says one of the most vocal - you couldn’t make it up.

You’re one of those who gets in a fit of rage when a 2 Bob pundit dares to say anything negative about the club, aren’t you. 

No doubt tomorrow be in some sort of rage posting because Crooks hasn’t put X, Y or Z in his pointless team of the week. 

6 minutes ago, whelk said:

I have heard loads of praise for Saints this week.

pundits will always annoy but that isn’t because of bias necessarily just that they are wet and talk in cliches.

It’s also click bait as well, a headline that favours / mentions United, is far more likely to get traction than one that mentions us. 

I think Crooks should be a permanent fixture on MOTD, he's comedy gold.

As for Jenus, I like the guy, nice personality and a reasonable pundit, not in Shearer's league but who knows what he can achieve if he gets his head down, stays free of injury and noncy texts and works hard.

That was an odd thing for Jenas to say.

Ralf often makes quite interesting points in interviews. He is a breath of fresh air compared to some. (Did anyone see the Conte interview post spurs game - he was close to incoherent never mind the standard vacuous word-salads) 

There was an interesting article in the Athletic pre game about the two Ralf rather acrimonious history. I wonder if that had something to do with Ralf choosing to comment freely on the opposition?

36 minutes ago, Stud mark of doom said:

Ralf often makes quite interesting points in interviews. He is a breath of fresh air compared to some. (Did anyone see the Conte interview post spurs game - he was close to incoherent never mind the standard vacuous word-salads) 

There was an interesting article in the Athletic pre game about the two Ralf rather acrimonious history. I wonder if that had something to do with Ralf choosing to comment freely on the opposition?

This is interesting and something I raised on another thread.

The only article I found was this which seemed a fairly typical pre-match nicety  and given RH leaving Leipzig with a year to run on his contract I've often thought the relationship likely to be strained.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/ralf-rangnick-ralph-hasenhuttl-leipzig-bundesliga-southampton-b2013577.html

Any chance you could post the Athletic article please ?

17 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

Thought it was odd too! Plenty far worse things to criticise (Conte for example).

Jenas is a classic example of jobs for the boys. Bet there’s a million better qualified people to host The One Show than him.

Agreed, I think he’s a decent pundit to be fair but a useless TV presenter. Then again, most of them are on that show, it’s dreadful now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Badger said:

This is interesting and something I raised on another thread.

The only article I found was this which seemed a fairly typical pre-match nicety  and given RH leaving Leipzig with a year to run on his contract I've often thought the relationship likely to be strained.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/ralf-rangnick-ralph-hasenhuttl-leipzig-bundesliga-southampton-b2013577.html

Any chance you could post the Athletic article please ?

Sounded like the usual power struggle between a relatively “hands on” director of football and strong minded manager - nothing too extreme but probably not conducive to being the best of friends afterwards. 

https://theathletic.com/3122701/2022/02/11/rangnick-and-hasenhuttl-a-story-of-football-philosophies-creative-differences-and-mutual-respect/?source=user_shared_article

It’s quite a long article - I’ve just copied a small bit below 

It is understood that the pair would often disagree about the club’s direction of travel in meetings, although these episodes were never played out in front of the players.

This has been described as a hindrance to Hasenhuttl, especially as it stopped him from getting his messages across.

Away from the waning results, there were disagreements over a contract extension. It is believed RB Leipzig offered Hasenhuttl a new deal during the second season but that he turned it down.

The Athletic has been told that his decision to reject the offer coincided with the Austrian holding talks with Bayern Munich over the possibility of becoming their manager.

4 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Jermaine Jenas is a Nottingham boy and Forest fan. He wouldn’t give a flying f**k that Saints beat Spurs.

Oi, mouth ! Check out his Twitter feed, the most recent posts from the night we beat Spurs, before making your flying f**k statement 😡

Edited by beatlesaint

I thought it was an odd exchange, I've always liked Ralph for being refreshingly honest in his interviews, very few managers seem to be. Like Murphy said he was asked a question and answered it. 

I've not seen Jenas's comment echoed anywhere else, Car Anka (who used to cover Saints for the Athletic and was very good) used Ralph's comments as basically a base to his article on Man Utd -

https://twitter.com/Ankaman616/status/1492778068347211776?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

He didn't seem to see it as disrespectful or that he shouldn't have said it. Maybe there is a little a spat between Ralph and Ralf but didn't see much evidence of that at the game, they seemed to greet each other warmly. 

11 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Maybe there is a little a spat between Ralph and Ralf but didn't see much evidence of that at the game, they seemed to greet each other warmly. 

I've watched it a few times, and I'd put it down as cordial, without being particularly chummy. As they weren't covering their mouths, you can make out a few words.

Ralph: Who would have thought we'd both end up here?
Ralph: When I left you, I was but the learner; now I am the master.
Ralph: Only a master of the Saints, Ralph.
Ralph: Your powers are weak. You have a disjointed squad and no team spirit.
Ralph: If you cut me down, I will still be made Director of Football.

We're still waiting confirmation from VAR on whether the lightsaber strike was legal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

9 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Jesus f**king wept.

What an over the top response to a reasonable comment/post. :lol: Perhaps getting a grip yourself may be good place to start.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, CB Fry said:

You clearly don’t watch/listen to Jenas much then. He’s borderline teary when Spurs lose a game he’s on comms, there’s a clip of him acting like a petulant child when Chelsea beat them in the FA Cup a few years ago. If he’d been half as good a player as he thinks he was, he’d have been a hell of a footballer. He is just a massive, massive twat.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, saintwbu said:

You clearly don’t watch/listen to Jenas much then. He’s borderline teary when Spurs lose a game he’s on comms, there’s a clip of him acting like a petulant child when Chelsea beat them in the FA Cup a few years ago. If he’d been half as good a player as he thinks he was, he’d have been a hell of a footballer. He is just a massive, massive twat.

What i do know is he is a Forest boy and Forest fan.

And I also know that he is giving a perfectly reasonable opinion on MOTD (a manager shouldn't use post-match to have a go at the other teams attitude/approach) because that's what he thinks. And not because wah-wah Spurs lost to that team the other day.

Get a grip.

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

What i do know is he is a Forest boy and Forest fan.

And I also know that he is giving a perfectly reasonable opinion on MOTD (a manager shouldn't use post-match to have a go at the other teams attitude/approach) because that's what he thinks. And not because wah-wah Spurs lost to that team the other day.

Get a grip.

Okay, cool

17 hours ago, warsash saint said:

I was more concerned that the penalty & potential stamping was blatantly overlooked & not shown at all!

In last seasons Everton home match Saints had a Stuart Armstrong goal disallowed for offside, which was not shown on MOTD. But they did show an Everton substitution. Which they thought was more of highlight than a disallowed goal. I'm sure there are many more instances of, so called, big team bias.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I am enjoying Motd these days as watching the Saints match is uplifting . I don’t always agree with the pundits , Shearer is a bit Newcastle focused but he has improved over the years . The game analysis is usually informative and fills in the bits I’ve missed. I was confused by Jenas’s comment about Ralph , managers constantly comment on the other teams negative or dirty play so why not their problems .

post match comments have been censored for years and I usually ff through them , no one can hint at anything dissing the prem .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, St David 46 said:

In last seasons Everton home match Saints had a Stuart Armstrong goal disallowed for offside, which was not shown on MOTD. But they did show an Everton substitution. Which they thought was more of highlight than a disallowed goal. I'm sure there are many more instances of, so called, big team bias.

No, no, no - you've got somewhat confused there.  The shot was of the famed Everton dug outs, which as we all know are far more important than any on field coverage.  Historic dug outs, well worth the air time....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Professor said:

Jenas is a self opinionated pain in the arse, his arrogant rant about Ralph shows that he knows next to bugger all about football management and his attempts to belittle Danny Murphy on Saturday evening were little short of sickening. Who gave this jumped up nobody a licence to monopolise MotD. Get him off air FFS!

... and this too from BBC's Crook having begrudgingly conceded that two Saints players were worthy of his team of the week. Absolute Tit! 

"The man at the heart of a splendid week for the Saints was, without doubt, Ward-Prowse. He was outstanding against Tottenham in midweek, producing two excellent assists. I've been singing the praises of this gifted midfielder for some time now, (Oh! Really?) and his performances for Southampton only seem to get better. I don't know what Liverpool are waiting for - he's made for them."

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Jenas is a self opinionated pain in the arse, his arrogant rant about Ralph shows that he knows next to bugger all about football management and his attempts to belittle Danny Murphy on Saturday evening were little short of sickening. Who gave this jumped up nobody a licence to monopolise MotD. Get him off air FFS!

... and this too from BBC's Crook having begrudgingly conceded that two Saints players were worthy of his team of the week. Absolute Tit! 

"The man at the heart of a splendid week for the Saints was, without doubt, Ward-Prowse. He was outstanding against Tottenham in midweek, producing two excellent assists. I've been singing the praises of this gifted midfielder for some time now, (Oh! Really?) and his performances for Southampton only seem to get better. I don't know what Liverpool are waiting for - he's made for them."

Fook me Dman’s head will blow up if he sees this.

• Haha 1

JJ and David Prutton were at Forest at the same time. We were in for one of them and I would have preferred it if we had got Jenas. I remember posting this on Teamtalk (I think that was the goto forum at the time) and someone suggested we might sign Jenna Jameson. That stuck with me ever since and i have never been able to watch Jenas without thinking about the other JJ. 😅
PS for younger viewers, probably best not to Google her during work hours.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

No wonder I skip those bits. What an utter clown.

Some other idiot said recently that he was a little surprised that JWP hadn't attracted the attention of a top 4 (later top 6 in the comment). Because JWP would be a great option to bring off the bench.

I had no idea he only hadn't missed endless first team minutes, at a club he's loved at, because he knew there was a good sit down waiting ahead.

I only don't recall who said it as I was turning them off. Idiot.

Was just watching back the Spurs game on MotD, and when we held our highline, Jonathan Pearce said "Good decision [of the lino to flag off side]. Bad defending." Interesting that other pundits, Hoddle esp, recognised the highline we hold (and got caught out by City).

As for the "bias against clubs like ours", who cares? I though the reviews given by pundits after the highlights in the past 2 MotD has been pretty decent and balanced tbf.

On 14/02/2022 at 02:15, saintwbu said:

I just re-watched Jenas's review of how bad Spurs were against Wolves.  It was pretty damning.....

Think is though that I believe if Ralph HAD avoided the question, Janus would have said,  "........I don't like it...he's had such a great week he shouldn't have to avoid the question  I prefer maangers to be up front, not hiding their op[inions away.'

Unfortunately he is one of those that exults the top six and has little time for other teams it seems.  Danny Murphy is very even handed and gives us plaudits and so does Shearer, (when the mood takes him) as I think he worries about bias.

21 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

No wonder I skip those bits. What an utter clown.

Some other idiot said recently that he was a little surprised that JWP hadn't attracted the attention of a top 4 (later top 6 in the comment). Because JWP would be a great option to bring off the bench.

I had no idea he only hadn't missed endless first team minutes, at a club he's loved at, because he knew there was a good sit down waiting ahead.

I only don't recall who said it as I was turning them off. Idiot.

Yes that annoys me too.  If we have a good player it's 'Oh, he should paly for Manure/Man City/Liverpool/Arsenal/Spurs.' Why?  When was the last time they said, '....De Bruyne would be an asset playing next to Ward-Prowse and Romeu in the Saints mid-field, and should maybe consider Southampton in the summer.'

f**k off trying to poach our players for your old teams.

On 13/02/2022 at 18:48, Stud mark of doom said:

Ralf or Ralph? Let's hope no one mentions Marcus. 

11 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

Saints game second to last tonight... 

Unsurprising if it is, of course we’d prefer if it was earlier but plenty of action today. We are now a comfortable mid table side and played against a slightly bigger side who are struggling but won’t go down. Relegation sides won too which will boost their appeal, Spurs beat Ciry, lots going on today in the PL.