Aston Villa 4-0 Saints - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

My Villa supporting work colleague is dreading it. Reckons they will have to perform better than they have shown so far under Stevie G to stop us in our current form.

We should be full of confidence that we can go there and win.

Edited by Sheaf Saint

I rate our chances. We have a better team and a better manager. Anything can happen over 90 minutes but I'd certainly think of us as favourites.

Starting 11 I'd probably play

Forster

KWP Salisu Bednarek Perraud

Romeu Jwp

Elyounoussi Armstrong

Adams Broja

Shame to drop Tino but these have decentish wide options and a weak midfield so I'd rather have the more defensively sound but less ball progressive fullback pairing. We don't need fullbacks to run it up the pitch, JWP, Romeu and Armstrong are going to cut through like a knife through butter imo. Depending on fitness ofcourse.

Edited by TWar
  • Like 1

Villa are a top 10 team, certainly competing for the areas we occupy at the moment. I don't agree with views that we're better than them, they've got better options in the 10's and in the other area's we are fairly matched. They've been a bit erratic form wise but they have some great attacking players.

Not sure how to call it, I see it as similar to the Wolves away game. 

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 5

52 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Danny Ings derby.

Tough game.  Villa are a mixed bag.  I expect Coutinho to top-corner 1 from 30 yards.

I'm sure he's put a few past Forster before, low hard in the corner from edge of box. Romeu can keep an eye on him. 

Villa will try and attack us , hopefully leave some space at the back we can take advantage of, tough game could go either way by a single goal. 

33 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Villa are a top 10 team, certainly competing for the areas we occupy at the moment. I don't agree with views that we're better than them, they've got better options in the 10's and in the other area's we are fairly matched. They've been a bit erratic form wise but they have some great attacking players.

Not sure how to call it, I see it as similar to the Wolves away game. 

I think they have a better keeper and Coutinho is very good and that's basically it. Konsa probably beats out our second cb too. Salisu, our fullbacks, our midfield, and Broja are miles better than what they are working with imo. Stuart Armstrong immediately improves that side and Adams is comfortably outscoring every player they have.

Combined 11 for me is

Martinez

Tino Salisu Konsa Kwp

Jwp romeu

Coutinho Armstrong

Broja Adams

Obviously they can still beat us, player for player no Middlesborough players start for spurs, but I am personally think we should be targeting 3 points.

Edited by TWar

43 minutes ago, JRM said:

I'm sure he's put a few past Forster before, low hard in the corner from edge of box. Romeu can keep an eye on him. 

Villa will try and attack us , hopefully leave some space at the back we can take advantage of, tough game could go either way by a single goal. 

I'm sure Romeu can spare a glance to Ings sat on the bench every few minutes.

• Haha 8

Will be tough, they are a team full of decent players, but if we play well, we have a great chance. The benefit of resting a load last night is that we should be back to full strength at the weekend. Ralph mentioned last night that Salisu has a small issue, but hopefully he's back at the weekend. 
Only decision is the full backs for me. Happy with any combination 2 of the 3. Personally would go KWP / Perraud, but think Tino will start.

Forster

KWP Bednarek Salisu Perraud

Armstrong Romeu JWP Elyounoussi

Adams Broja

As others have said use this game and other league matches to give appearances to the fringe players. Then, when it comes to the most important game, the quarter final, we can play our strongest team. Experiment in the league not the FA Cup which we have a chance of winning.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Aston Villa vs Saints — Saturday 3pm

The 'laws' of probability would tend to suggest that we're bound to lose a game or two at some point between now and the end of the season, and Villa away is up there with the most likely candidates I'd have thought, so....

Head = narrow Villa win

Heart = barnstorming 4-1 victory for the mighty Saints! 

• Like 1

If we lose, then that will be two whole wins in a row for Gerrard which will be plenty for an absolute barrage of "Stevie G revolution/next Liverpool manager/etc etc" bloody hogwash everywhere.

Even coming out with a decent away point can stop that madness.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

8.17am train from soton central ..does anyone know if the witton arms is open again to away fans .. was home fans only wen chelsea visited recently..the yew tree is other option but bit of a walk from villa park .

I preferred to drink at a decent place in town, get a nice lunch, then get the train over to Villa about 2-ish.

Easy 3 points, they've beat us twice in the last twelve.  They are a team with a couple of standout players and a manager looking to find his way in the Premiere League.  We are a team on the up, full of confidence, playing well with a squad of players who can all do a job.  Or am I being too confident....?

• Confused 1

I personally think the jury is still out on Gerrard as a manager. Won 1 trophy out of 9 at Rangers, and whilst going unbeaten for a season is fantastic, it was helped by a collapsing Celtic side under the abject management of Lennon, plus rangers going all out to stop the '10' and making some really risky financial decisions. And after an initial manger bounce, is he doing any better than Smith would have done? 

I think we will win this. We are just so well drilled at the moment that even if they have a similar or even better squad, we can overcome it 

1 hour ago, manzo said:

I preferred to drink at a decent place in town, get a nice lunch, then get the train over to Villa about 2-ish.

Yeah was thinking of doing that too.. might do that .. Lower tier has a bar in villa park so whoever’s got a ticket for top tier you need to stay in the pub for aslong as poss to avoid disappointment of no beer up top.

4 hours ago, TWar said:

I think they have a better keeper and Coutinho is very good and that's basically it. Konsa probably beats out our second cb too. Salisu, our fullbacks, our midfield, and Broja are miles better than what they are working with imo. Stuart Armstrong immediately improves that side and Adams is comfortably outscoring every player they have.

Combined 11 for me is

Martinez

Tino Salisu Konsa Kwp

Jwp romeu

Coutinho Armstrong

Broja Adams

Obviously they can still beat us, player for player no Middlesborough players start for spurs, but I am personally think we should be targeting 3 points.

Twar you’ve made it onto villa forum with this comment and they think you’re delirious! 
they think stu Armstrong wouldn’t even make their bench. 
Pop over and have a look 👀 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

Twar you’ve made it onto villa forum with this comment and they think you’re delirious! 

Got a link? 

For pubs I'd definitely recommend drinking near New Street if going by train, plenty of pubs short walk away then get later train over to Witton 

Edited by JRM

15 minutes ago, JRM said:

Got a link? 

For pubs I'd definitely recommend drinking near New Street if going by train, plenty of pubs short walk away then get later train over to Witton 

I'd recommend going to the Purecraft Bar (https://www.purecraftbars.com/); really good beers (a lot of them, too, so you should be able to find one you like), and the food is really good pub food. It's less than a five minute walk from New Street Station.

29 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

Oo drop a link, it's always fun to meet admirers 

7 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

In my post above 

I see it. Armstrong wouldn't make their bench? What nonsense. Considering Cash or Digne over any of Livramento, KWP or Perraud on current form is very amusing too. Mcginn over Romeu too. Some very poor shouts. Will say, I do agree regarding Ramsey, he is class. If we played a 433 he'd get in no doubt but we don't and he obviously nowhere near jwp as our box to box mid and if we are having one of theirs to play 10 we'd have Coutinho. 

Edited by TWar

4 minutes ago, TWar said:

I see it. Armstrong wouldn't make their bench? What nonsense. Considering Cash or Digne over any of Livramento, KWP or Perraud on current form is very amusing too. Mcginn over Romeu too. Some very poor shouts. Will say, I do agree regarding Ramsey, he is class. If we played a 433 he'd get in no doubt but we don't and he obviously nowhere near jwp as our box to box mid.

Isn’t he suspended?

• Haha 5

15 minutes ago, TWar said:

I see it. Armstrong wouldn't make their bench? What nonsense. Considering Cash or Digne over any of Livramento, KWP or Perraud on current form is very amusing too. Mcginn over Romeu too. Some very poor shouts. Will say, I do agree regarding Ramsey, he is class. If we played a 433 he'd get in no doubt but we don't and he obviously nowhere near jwp as our box to box mid and if we are having one of theirs to play 10 we'd have Coutinho. 

What do the numbers tell you? Eg cash this season v’s TL or Dingy vs KWP. That would be interesting 

24 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

What do the numbers tell you? Eg cash this season v’s TL or Dingy vs KWP. That would be interesting 

Good question, will have a look when I get home, currently stuck in central London due to this annoying tube strike!

5 hours ago, TWar said:

Combined 11 for me is

Martinez

Tino Salisu Konsa Kwp

Jwp romeu

Coutinho Armstrong

Broja Adams

https://www.villatalk.com/topic/22783-pre-match-thread/page/3/#comments

One Villa fan has called you "more delusional than most opposition fans", but other than that reading their forum seems most are feeling positive about their chances too. 

I think it is a 50/50 but perhaps our form means we edge it. Doesn't mean they don't have the quality to hurt us though so can see 3 results. Bookies have Villa as the favourites.

Villla dont seem to have gelled into the sum of their parts. Could go either way. I've seen Coutinho torment us but also disappear. They don't seem to have found a way to get the best out of Ings. But they've had a whole week to rest and prepare.

Still feeling good about this one though. 4-2 to Saints

KWP, Moi and Salisu could all be injured for this one, but last nights win gives me hope that we can manage. Although past experiences tell me it would be pretty ‘Saintsy’ to drop into a nosedive after such an impressive run (Caveat being that this squad seems to have something about them that many in the past did not) 

4-2 like the paper aeroplanes game. I enjoyed that day. 

They were in absolute turmoil. How we allowed it to be 3-2 before Mane scored I'll never understand. 

We've got a pretty good record there. And I think we'll come away with three points on Sat. A 2-1. With them getting a late goal, probably a 40 yarder from Pip. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Monkeyboy said:

Echo saying KWP, Sali and Moi all being assessed with injury worries. Salisu the most important to have fit I think. Perraud and Tino can cover KWP, and Redders looked lively last night so wouldn't mind him coming in for Moi. 

Play the ones who need game time and save the big guns for the quarter final. Makes more sense than playing a weak side in quarters.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nta786 said:

https://www.villatalk.com/topic/22783-pre-match-thread/page/3/#comments

One Villa fan has called you "more delusional than most opposition fans", but other than that reading their forum seems most are feeling positive about their chances too. 

I think it is a 50/50 but perhaps our form means we edge it. Doesn't mean they don't have the quality to hurt us though so can see 3 results. Bookies have Villa as the favourites.

Villa fans have delusions of granduer, they were told by their club they were signing a tonne of players alongside Grealish to push for top 6, they all believed it. Then Grealish obviously left and they still seem to think they are a team pushing for europe despite the fact that they took a massive step back last summer and would be lucky to get top half.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, TWar said:

Villa fans have delusions of granduer, they were told by their club they were signing a tonne of players alongside Grealish to push for top 6, they all believed it. Then Grealish obviously left and they still seem to think they are a team pushing for europe despite the fact that they took a massive step back last summer and would be lucky to get top half.

Stop it you will really annoy them. But like a wasp with a brummie accent

Edited by Toadhall Saint
  • Like 1

Villa fans are known throughout the West Midlands as being arrogant, one eyed cunts. There are exceptions but most Villa fans that I know fit this description.  Blues fans, Baggies fans, Wolves fans and even Walsall and Coventry fans will always unite in singing that Midlands classic  "shit on the villa". 

And the great thing is that we nearly always win at Villa Park. 😁😁

1 minute ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Stop it you will really annoy them. But like a wasp with a brummie accent

I lived in Coventry for years, I'm immune to the annoying accent. Thing is I quite liked a lot of Villa fans in person as they were pretty reasonable and knew they were about the quality of us, Palace, Brighton, Leeds et al.

It's only the nutters online who saw themselves as top 6 hopefuls around the level of Arsenal and Spurs.

Reckon it will be a draw. 1-1.

They have some decent players and Coutinho likes to stick one in from distance against us.

I do enjoy other supporters underestimating our players and team, but then how many of them actually sit down and regularly watch us play whole matches to make an informed opinion? 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Aston Villa 4-0 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic