Fraser Forster - Official: Signs for Spurs

stevy777_x

6 hours ago, Turkish said:

Sadly true. Fonte wasn’t the greatest player but he was a leader and organiser which she lacked since. Forster isn’t that but on current form we’re going to struggle to get better on our budget 

How do you know what the budget is under the new ownership?

7 hours ago, Turkish said:

Sadly true. Fonte wasn’t the greatest player but he was a leader and organiser which she lacked since. Forster isn’t that but on current form we’re going to struggle to get better on our budget 

I agree with you but if we kept Forster surely it would be cheaper as we would not have to pay a transfer fee 

The money saved could be spent on a decent striker but getting one into SFC is not going to be easy as Ings has been our only decent one we have signed in recent years which is a similar situation in other clubs of our size in the PL

Getting in another GK is again not going to be easy either if the saga at Wembley on Suturday is anything to go by where the USA number 1 goalie had a nightmare and gifted Liverpool the game as we need an experienced one who is tried and tested so I would stick with Fraser

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

I did not say I did.

Turkish suggested he did, and I asked how he knew.

Of course we do not know what the budget is but most on here have been following SFC for sometime and have knowledge of past signings so have an informed idea of what the club are likely to pay for a GK.

But of course your point of us not knowing what the overall budget for transfers and wages  is a significant point which is under estimated on here together with the plans for the current players.

We do not know what if they are expecting Salisu to stay whether JWP will be moving whether Bednerack Redmond Djneppo want to leave

When is Romeau is going to be replaced is Tella going out on loan

There are so mny questions with no real answers so we suggest informed guesses which I think is good and makes us think and come up with ideas which is what Turkish was doing and I do not really understand what the point of your post was as it was not particularly constructive in the debate on whether Fraser should stay

So what is your view

I think he should stay because the club would not have to pay out a transfer fee and I think he is currently playing pretty well

But I do not know who the likely replacement is how much he would cost or wheter Fraser wants to stay

I also think our top priority is as every year getting in a decent striker which I realise is pretty difficult 

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

I did not say I did.

Turkish suggested he did, and I asked how he knew.

So we're back to this nonsense. It's reasonable to assume that Forster is affordable to us, and that a better keeper would cost more. Thus, it's hardly controversial to suggest that we'd struggle to get better if Forster's wages are the level of our budget. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Saint Billy said:

I don't see anyone out there better than FF that is affordable so what's the point in selling him. 

He’s out of contract, so we won’t be getting any money for him. The choice is his….! The fact we’ve had a problem for years because he was in a long expensive contract. Now there is a problem because he is out of contract.

Edited by SW5 SAINT
Edit

11 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Not just wages but there would be a transfer fee in top for a new keeper.

This.

We spent a reported £13.5M on Angus Gunn, and that didn’t work out all that well.

Just have to hope that the club have got someone lined up who wont be a huge transfer fee and wages, and is a step up on Forster. Not easy.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

This.

We spent a reported £13.5M on Angus Gunn, and that didn’t work out all that well.

Just have to hope that the club have got someone lined up who wont be a huge transfer fee and wages, and is a step up on Forster. Not easy.

Well the best free transfers available in that position that I’m aware of don’t appear to be coming our way. Johnstone to Spurs, not convinced he’s an upgrade anyway and Strakosha being linked with Newcastle.

interesting article here on Henderson. Would have thought Newcastle would be all him https://metro.co.uk/2022/04/17/man-utd-prepared-to-take-massive-hit-over-dean-henderson-transfer-16482616/

Edited by Turkish

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

If we can’t find a better player than Forster for the same considerable wages he’s reportedly earning, then our scouts should pack up and go home.

So cheaper, better, and presumably free. You don't want much! 

6 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Well the best free transfers available in that position that I’m aware of don’t appear to be coming our way. Johnstone to Spurs, not convinced he’s an upgrade anyway and Strakosha being linked with Newcastle.

interesting article here on Henderson. Would have thought Newcastle would be all him https://metro.co.uk/2022/04/17/man-utd-prepared-to-take-massive-hit-over-dean-henderson-transfer-16482616/

I don’t know enough about Henderson, I thought he was quite well rated, but that seems a slightly strange one. United seemingly willing to just cut their losses to get rid of him.

24 minutes ago, egg said:

So cheaper, better, and presumably free. You don't want much! 

Where on Earth have you got that from? For whatever reason we’ve supposedly given Forster one of, if not the, biggest contacts in the history of our club and it has represented pretty awful value for money. We can either find similar for much cheaper or better for a similar price.

As for being free, well if we’re just going to scrabble around for free transfers and loans, like some League 1 club in administration, whilst everyone around us is spending £30m on new players, we might as well give up now. However, I’d like to hope our new owners have more ambition that simply treading water until we get relegated.

6 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Where on Earth have you got that from? For whatever reason we’ve supposedly given Forster one of, if not the, biggest contacts in the history of our club and it has represented pretty awful value for money. We can either find similar for much cheaper or better for a similar price.

As for being free, well if we’re just going to scrabble around for free transfers and loans, like some League 1 club in administration, whilst everyone around us is spending £30m on new players, we might as well give up now. However, I’d like to hope our new owners have more ambition that simply treading water until we get relegated.

From what you posted.

You've said you expect us to get better for less money than we pay Forster. Unless they're free, we'd be paying a fee, but even free there'll likely be a signing on fee. Factoring  that in, I'm not sure who you expect to get for less money who'll do better.  

You've seemingly changed your point to that you'd like us to splash cash on a better keeper. I'm with you on that, but transfer budget is not known and I'd hazard a guess we won't have masses to spend. If it came down, for example, to keeping Forster and spending cash on a another 10, or getting another keeper and not getting a 10, I'd be happy to keep him.

40 minutes ago, egg said:

From what you posted.

You've said you expect us to get better for less money than we pay Forster. Unless they're free, we'd be paying a fee, but even free there'll likely be a signing on fee. Factoring  that in, I'm not sure who you expect to get for less money who'll do better.  

You've seemingly changed your point to that you'd like us to splash cash on a better keeper. I'm with you on that, but transfer budget is not known and I'd hazard a guess we won't have masses to spend. If it came down, for example, to keeping Forster and spending cash on a another 10, or getting another keeper and not getting a 10, I'd be happy to keep him.

What I said was…

3 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

If we can’t find a better player than Forster for the same considerable wages he’s reportedly earning, then our scouts should pack up and go home.

Yes there will be fees involved, the point is we’re paying FF a massive wage which is disproportionate to what he delivers on the pitch. It will take some investment from our new owners to actually buy the player but if they’re not willing to do that then I don’t know why they’re here. We’re not talking about building a team of Galacticos, we just need someone decent enough to stay comfortably midtable.

2 hours ago, The Kraken said:

This.

Do not go English with the next keeper, there is so much talent in Europe in that position

What happened to the Albanian bloke we were reportedly in for last Summer? 

Forster is gone, we offered him a contract for significantly less than he is currently on (allegedly) and he turned it down (presumably because we couldn't or didn't want to afford his considerable current wages). It would suggest that we are looking for, or more likely have already agreed a replacement who will be on less that Forster and more than McCarthy. I suggest that what will happen in the Summer is that we will offer Willy a one year contract, Forster and Lewis will bid farewell and go to pastures new that they have already sorted (after knowing for a year that they are on their way) and a new keeper will come in ostensibly as first choice, probably from a European League. The only slight doubt in my mind is whether McCarthy might be sold as well, since he fucked up with Ralph when he was injured, I do feel that his absence since then is a little fishy, it has gone on for too long to be just a hammy, especially for a keeper, Ralph's seeming desire to keep Willy suggests this might be the case.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Literally. 😅

I know recency bias is big but my god how are we forgetting Forster's output for the last 4 years?

On 18/04/2022 at 12:59, VectisSaint said:

What happened to the Albanian bloke we were reportedly in for last Summer? 

Still at Lazio. I think he's out f contract at the end of the season, although linked with several bigger clubs than us. (But then again Salisu was linked with Man Utd before signing for us).

I still hold the view that it will be better for both parties if Fraser moves on in the close season. There is just too much baggage that comes with him with any new contract; one or two bad games and the Club will be under the cosh from fans for failing to take decisive action on the goalkeeping position when they had the chance to do so.

We should stretch the coffers as far as possible on a proven young international keeper with many good years ahead of him and not just go for the easy out that could backfire. There must be some really decent keepers in Europe who would love to get a crack at he PL even with a middling table am like Saints.

Niemi, Boruc some body at that level....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vectraman said:

Ralph stating in today’s echo interview that there are actively looking at offering a contract to Fraser Forster…..

Him staying would come as a surprise. Going by previous posts, we may well actively offer him a contract. But one at a lower level than he's on. Possibly by some way. As before, he will weigh up his options and go elsewhere if it offers a better deal for him. So, we may well look to offer something, but it may have the same outcome.

How you feel about his wages, form, likely replacement quality and ongoing use will determine how much of a blow that is. 🙂

I'd not be upset by seeing him at #1 next season.

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

You think it’s that easy?

If FF stays, our 2 keepers will be the same as this year. 

And that to me is a huge problem. We ve been crying out for an upgrade for years. And that we have an opportunity we re going to renew both? That to me would be bonkers and gross mismanagement

• Like 2

15 hours ago, SW5 SAINT said:

Do we actually know that McCarthy has already signed a new contract…? I was just reading on the BBC website that all our keepers are out of contract come the summer….!

He signed a new contract last summer. The club decided to keep Macca and move Forster on, now we have a problem because Forster is our best keeper, but we're pretty stuck with Macca.

IMO, if we have the funds to be able to bring in a better keeper than Fraser, alongside all the other positions that take a priority, then I'm all for letting him go. If not, it wouldn't be the end of the world if Fraser is our no 1 next season.

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

He signed a new contract last summer. The club decided to keep Macca and move Forster on, now we have a problem because Forster is our best keeper, but we're pretty stuck with Macca.

They could attempt to sell him and subsidise some of his wages if that is an issue for any buying club.

Edited by Matthew Le God

44 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Am I right in thinking that RH called Alex McCarthy out on something after a game, then he had a hamstring injury which has somehow lasted over four months?

Not mentions of him, no match day squads for him, no sign of him.

I think so, after the Brighton home game pretty sure Ralph said Alex was unprofessional and that if he was injured he should have signalled to the bench because we still had one sub remaining.

Of course, as it transpired, we had JWP running back to goal keeping Maupay onside just to protect McCarthy.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Am I right in thinking that RH called Alex McCarthy out on something after a game, then he had a hamstring injury which has somehow lasted over four months?

Not mentions of him, no match day squads for him, no sign of him.

Not quite. He developed thigh injury during the Brighton game, but didn't (apparently) inform the coaching staff that he was in trouble and stayed on the pitch while almost immobile. Ralph rebuked him for being unprofessional immediately after the game, though later he appeared to withdraw his criticism. Macca has not been seen in a squad since but does appear to be back in training. It was said his injury was hamstring, but now being reported as thigh problems, which might make some sense since hamstring issues in themselves tend to clear up quicker than this one.

18 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Not quite. He developed thigh injury during the Brighton game, but didn't (apparently) inform the coaching staff that he was in trouble and stayed on the pitch while almost immobile. Ralph rebuked him for being unprofessional immediately after the game, though later he appeared to withdraw his criticism. Macca has not been seen in a squad since but does appear to be back in training. It was said his injury was hamstring, but now being reported as thigh problems, which might make some sense since hamstring issues in themselves tend to clear up quicker than this one.

He did, he said he made his post match comments without having all the facts, and he regretted what he said.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12491000/alex-mccarthy-southampton-boss-ralph-hasenhuttl-says-it-was-not-perfect-to-question-goalkeepers-professionalism

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

I'd be less worried about his unprofessionalism, and more about him being shit. Better to keep Willy.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

I'd be less worried about his unprofessionalism, and more about him being shit. Better to keep Willy.

7 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

IMO, if we have the funds to be able to bring in a better keeper than Fraser, alongside all the other positions that take a priority, then I'm all for letting him go. If not, it wouldn't be the end of the world if Fraser is our no 1 next season.

There are loads of worse keepers out there than AM, so stuck with seems a little harsh. Otherwise, totally agree. Forster (in current form)  or an upgrade of same with AM in reserve would be okay. Up front needs the attention first, if Broja isn't staying.

1 hour ago, LiberalCommunist said:

I try to imagine which prem club has a worse keeper than AM, But I really can't pin one down. Krul perhaps? There's quite a few inconsistent keepers, but none as consistently bad as AM unfortunately. (Notice I didn't name Gunn)

I did consciously not say Prem club, as I was thinking of keepers out with it, we might bring in. I'd think that there would be a number, Prem ones included,  who'd struggle in one of our slumps. Uunless the consensus his that AM plays a big part in those slumps. 🙂

I agree there's inconsistency. But I think that comes from it being the exposed position it is.

Extra smiley as I can't delete it...

😊

4 hours ago, LiberalCommunist said:

I try to imagine which prem club has a worse keeper than AM, But I really can't pin one down. Krul perhaps? There's quite a few inconsistent keepers, but none as consistently bad as AM unfortunately. (Notice I didn't name Gunn)

AM is not that bad come on !

Angus Gunn is way worse than AM.

16 hours ago, LiberalCommunist said:

Tim Krul at his peak was significantly better than McCarthy has ever been.

I've never seen AM have a game like this, for example: 

He's played for the Netherlands at every level including 15 full caps. Also a penalty-saving specialist.

Don't know whether he's in decline now, but peak Krul was a level above. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Fraser Forster - Official: Signs for Spurs