Fraser Forster - Official: Signs for Spurs

stevy777_x

I can see the temptation in offering him a new contract, but part of me still wants to start again with a brand new number 1 next season.

I think the club cocked up by giving McCarthy a new contract, they probably realise that now.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I think the club cocked up by giving McCarthy a new contract, they probably realise that now.

But that goes along with Walcott and Long,  just seems there's still that little bit of stupidly at the club something I thought Crocker/Semmens would have sorted

• Like 2

16 hours ago, LiberalCommunist said:

I try to imagine which prem club has a worse keeper than AM, But I really can't pin one down. Krul perhaps? There's quite a few inconsistent keepers, but none as consistently bad as AM unfortunately. (Notice I didn't name Gunn)

Tim Krul at his peak was significantly better than McCarthy has ever been.

I've never seen AM have a game like this, for example: 

-----------------------------------------

Seems like the key word would be consistency. 

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

Im puzzled what you think he is doing wrong. It would be more than 2-0 if it wasn't for him.

I'm puzzled as to why you've read that post in the opposite of how it was meant.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

I'm puzzled what you think he is doing wrong. It would be more than 2-0 if it wasn't for him.

As s-Clarke said, I’m puzzled why you’re puzzled.

Edit. Ah, the good old MLG ‘ edit your original post and say nothing more and hope nobody notices’ 🤪

Edited by The Kraken

It’s very convenient that’s his performance have improved the closer he gets to the end of his contract. Performing well at the moment but what happens if he signs a new one….we will be back in the same position as we were a few weeks ago! A lot of his saves are saves for the camera…..definitely trying to put himself in the shop window! New keeper is a must this summer

• Like 2

13 hours ago, adriansfc said:

You think he's so unbelievably good he's able to turn great form on and off at will for a contract??? 

That's bizarre enough with an outfield player. I guess you could say they'd run more if wanting a contract, but at this level that's not enough to magically become decent. For a keeper it's ridiculous. It's a reactive position. 

All Forster has done is play as he did when he first arrived and largely as he's done since he came back from a Celtic. He's a good keeper with some limitations. He's slow footed but uses his frame as well as anyone. 

Plenty of Prem keepers I'd rather have but at the same time, who do we get who is definitely better and who we can afford? And is that person better enough to justify a transfer fee on a keeper rather than improving other areas of the team??? 

Given how shit the season has been for large parts, Forster might be player of the season. It'll probably go to JWP or KWP. But I don't think Forster would be a bad choice. 

One word: Saganowski.

Not saying FF is deliberately playing at his best potential, conveniently when his contract is about to expire. But it's possible he's now subconsciously playing at 100% because of it, which could again dip after a new contract, if history is to repeat itself. The club got badly burned with his last renewal, so I'm in the "let go" camp.

• Like 2

On 22/04/2022 at 12:26, adriansfc said:

You think he's so unbelievably good he's able to turn great form on and off at will for a contract??? 

That's bizarre enough with an outfield player. I guess you could say they'd run more if wanting a contract, but at this level that's not enough to magically become decent. For a keeper it's ridiculous. It's a reactive position. 

All Forster has done is play as he did when he first arrived and largely as he's done since he came back from a Celtic. He's a good keeper with some limitations. He's slow footed but uses his frame as well as anyone. 

Plenty of Prem keepers I'd rather have but at the same time, who do we get who is definitely better and who we can afford? And is that person better enough to justify a transfer fee on a keeper rather than improving other areas of the team??? 

Given how shit the season has been for large parts, Forster might be player of the season. It'll probably go to JWP or KWP. But I don't think Forster would be a bad choice. 

I don’t think he is unbelievably good. If I did I wouldn’t be saying to let him go. I think he’s been below average for the most part of his contract. In the last few weeks he  has been playing at a level where he should be. I’m not sure he has done enough to deserve a new contact. 

also interestingly that you don’t think players are able to turn on special performances when it matters most. Different players are driven by different motivating factor’s…..some turn it on on the biggest stage because they are driven by winning some players are motivated by large contacts.

• Like 2

On 22/04/2022 at 13:26, adriansfc said:

Forster player of the season? You must be having a laugh. Typical fan reactions after one or 2 worldie games. The guy didn t even play for first half of the season.

KWP for me

• Like 4

On 21/04/2022 at 12:37, danjosaint said:

But that goes along with Walcott and Long,  just seems there's still that little bit of stupidly at the club something I thought Crocker/Semmens would have sorted

Clearly Ralph wanted them then, after all he could have said no to a new contract for Long, said no to signing Theo, and said no to giving AM a new deal.

I try to imagine which prem club has a worse keeper than AM, But I really can't pin one down. Krul perhaps? There's quite a few inconsistent keepers, but none as consistently bad as AM unfortunately. (Notice I didn't name Gunn)

Tim Krul at his peak was significantly better than McCarthy has ever been.

I've never seen AM have a game like this, for example: 

-----------------------------------------

Cruel Krul masterclass yesterday! Peak player. 

Fraser Forster poised to leave Southampton 

Fraser Forster is looking increasingly likely to leave Southampton on a free transfer despite his form earning an England recall this season.  

Forster, 34, has started every Premier League game since Boxing Day and his performances earned a place in Gareth Southgate’s squad for the March friendlies, putting him in contention for a World Cup place. But his contract at St Mary’s runs out in two months and the club committed to Alex McCarthy. 

McCarthy has been sidelined since December but published Football Association documents confirmed “updated contract” paperwork has been lodged, which is understood to be a long-term deal.  

With McCarthy set to return to the first-team squad, Southampton are in the market for a younger No 2, according to a club source. They also signed Willy Caballero on a short-term deal when McCarthy was injured and the Argentinian’s contract is up this summer.  

Forster would be among two England goalkeepers available on free transfers this summer with Sam Johnstone also leaving West Bromwich Albion after keeping his place in Southgate’s squad while in the Championship. 

Edited by SuperSAINT

I posted this previously. It's not a case of us letting him go, we already offered him a contract, he said no, and thus him leaving is a foregone conclusion. 

I think Johnstone may sign for us. My guess is that deal may have already been done with him. If not, I wouldn't rule out Cabellero getting  new deal. He looked incredibly old/rusty early doors, but improved greatly and looked half decent (in relation to our other keepers) in the cup games.

• Like 1

Who would we prefer out of Henderson or Johnstone?

I'd go Hendo but seems to be a real 50/50 split with our fanbase. I'm not saying it will definitely be one of them btw, just curious about which one everyone would prefer if it were a straight choice.

1 hour ago, Chez said:

I posted this previously. It's not a case of us letting him go, we already offered him a contract, he said no, and thus him leaving is a foregone conclusion. 

I think Johnstone may sign for us. My guess is that deal may have already been done with him. If not, I wouldn't rule out Cabellero getting  new deal. He looked incredibly old/rusty early doors, but improved greatly and looked half decent (in relation to our other keepers) in the cup games.

We clearly 'let him go' by offering a contract to a keeper who is worse, mystifyingly. I'd be off too if I felt my employers were a bit thick/blind. And maybe our contract offer was so low as to say 'feel free to leave if you want'. Guess we'll never know, but there does seem to be a bit of weirdness about our goalkeeping situation, and I suspect Kelvin Davis may have his fingerprints on it

• Like 1

I can't imagine the club being dumb enough to revert back to McCarthy as number 1. He's supposedly fit now, but not even getting in the squads. I can't see how he can go from there to starting for us next season.

My assumption is that the media have assumed 'young' goalkeeper = backup, but I think we're looking for a young goalkeeper to be our starter.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

I'd go Hendo but seems to be a real 50/50 split with our fanbase. I'm not saying it will definitely be one of them btw, just curious about which one everyone would prefer if it were a straight choice.

Prefer Henderson but read somewhere wages in the region of £125k p/w which allied to even a medium-sized fee is unlikely. Johnstone more likely but his agent hyperactive recently in linking him with Spurs. Lloris has another 2-3 years potentially at the top so would going there as reserve.

5 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

Prefer Henderson but read somewhere wages in the region of £125k p/w which allied to even a medium-sized fee is unlikely. Johnstone more likely but his agent hyperactive recently in linking him with Spurs. Lloris has another 2-3 years potentially at the top so would going there as reserve.

Johnstone will be 33 by then! 😮

7 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Henderson is so much better than Johnstone. It's not even close. 

7 hours ago, DT said:

We clearly 'let him go' by offering a contract to a keeper who is worse, mystifyingly. I'd be off too if I felt my employers were a bit thick/blind. And maybe our contract offer was so low as to say 'feel free to leave if you want'. Guess we'll never know, but there does seem to be a bit of weirdness about our goalkeeping situation, and I suspect Kelvin Davis may have his fingerprints on it

Not sure it is `clear' as to which was offered what and when. We may have offered him less money, than he is on now, which he would be less than impressed with, but we have no idea if that was the case.

I'd of thought Forster's mind was made up to leave long before we offered him a new contract after we pretty much pushed him out the door when loaning him to Celtic. I suspect he had no intention of signing any contract with us.  

6 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I can't imagine the club being dumb enough to revert back to McCarthy as number 1. He's supposedly fit now, but not even getting in the squads.

I thought he was injured. Hamstring injury.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Henderson will want £130k a week and United a sizeable fee. That counts us out.

Edited by Chez

4 hours ago, saint1977 said:

Lloris is 35. I reckon they'll be looking to replace him sooner rather than later.

His stats this season are ok but he's definitely not quite as good as he was, although Spurs probably have other areas that need addressing more urgently than GK.

5 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Lloris is 35. I reckon they'll be looking to replace him sooner rather than later.

His stats this season are ok but he's definitely not quite as good as he was, although Spurs probably have other areas that need addressing more urgently than GK.

Lloris makes far too many mistakes to be classed as top quality IMO, and Spurs should have upgraded years ago, but not sure Johnstone is a big improvement - I don't think he had been great this season. That's Spurs' problem.

Is Johnstone actually better than McCarthy?

7 minutes ago, Chez said:

Lloris makes far too many mistakes to be classed as top quality IMO, and Spurs should have upgraded years ago, but not sure Johnstone is a big improvement - I don't think he had been great this season. That's Spurs' problem.

Is Johnstone actually better than McCarthy?

Yes, is a regular in England squads. 

McCarthy isn’t even a regular on our bench at the moment. 

McCarthy wouldn’t get near any other premier league side. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Appy said:

Yes, is a regular in England squads. 

McCarthy isn’t even a regular on our bench at the moment. 

McCarthy wouldn’t get near any other premier league side. 

Only has two more England caps and Johnstone isn't a regular on the West Brom bench at the moment at 13th in the Championship West Brom. McCarthy also has 102 more Premier League appearances in his career, despite only being separated by three years. McCarthy has also never been relegated from the Premier League and was named our player of the season when we almost went down, so he's topped Johnstone in that regard also.

The debates we have about McCarthy and Forster are the same debates West Brom fans are having about Johnstone, only, again they're playing at a level below us. http://westbrom.com/forum/index.php?topic=21946.4175 Aston Villa fans were the same when they re-signed him too: https://www.villatalk.com/topic/15997-sam-johnstone/page/71/

We need a new goalkeeper, all is agreed. But, I and many others can see that Johnstone is not the answer. He might save us some points, like Forster did against Arsenal, but he'll cost us a shit load too, like McCarthy and Forster do. It would be very lazy from the recruitment team if they picked up Johnstone. We don't need to keep going down the English route, our best goalkeepers of recent years have been foreign and so are the best goalkeepers in the Premier League.

• Like 1

Peak timing on the big mans form. I can't say I blame him. What a strange Saints career he has had. From breaking records to being shipped out with a mental decline.

But he didn't shit talk us, he's been professional all the way. And as his contract winds down to the last weeks he finds himself in the second best bout of form of his career.

Perhaps Theo Walcot has been doing some work behind the scenes!!!! lol

It's interesting the amount of love Forster gets considering he has snubbed our contract offer and will walk on a free. I see posts on here questioning why brojas is getting game time now we are safe, when Armstrong needs to be tried out in preparation for next season. No one is saying that about Forster/McCarthy. 

McCarthy on the other hand is despised on here, yet he wants to stay and play for Saints and has signed a new deal.

Do we not value loyalty or do we not regard McCarthy as loyal, just fortunate? Do we see Forster as badly treated and assume we low balled him (not to mention farmed him out to Celtic) thus have sympathy for him wanting to go elsewhere?

I guess the long and short of it is Forster felt he could get a better deal elsewhere and McCarthy didn't. But is the general consensus that we wish Forster well as he joins another side?

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Chez said:

It's interesting the amount of love Forster gets considering he has snubbed our contract offer and will walk on a free. I see posts on here questioning why brojas is getting game time now we are safe, when Armstrong needs to be tried out in preparation for next season. No one is saying that about Forster/McCarthy. 

McCarthy on the other hand is despised on here, yet he wants to stay and play for Saints and has signed a new deal.

Do we not value loyalty or do we not regard McCarthy as loyal, just fortunate? Do we see Forster as badly treated and assume we low balled him (not to mention farmed him out to Celtic) thus have sympathy for him wanting to go elsewhere?

I guess the long and short of it is Forster felt he could get a better deal elsewhere and McCarthy didn't. But is the general consensus that we wish Forster well as he joins another side?

Personally completely fine with loyalty but if they're not good at football then it doesn't count for much. If we have actively made a choice that McC is the better keeper I think our whole management team need to go to Specsavers

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, DT said:

Personally completely fine with loyalty but if they're not good at football then it doesn't count for much. If we have actively made a choice that McC is the better keeper I think our whole management team need to go to Specsavers

When will people understand, we (Southampton) have not made a choice that McC is the better keeper. We offered both keepers a deal to remain, one accepted and one rejected. That's not stating a preference.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Chez said:

Wanting to play for us does not imply loyalty. These are professionals and everything revolves around money. McCarthy would have gone elsewhere if a better offer came along. That ain’t gonna happen so he stays with us.

3 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

When will people understand, we (Southampton) have not made a choice that McC is the better keeper. We offered both keepers a deal to remain, one accepted and one rejected. That's not stating a preference.

Not a preference for one over the other but a preference for McCarthy over someone better. Which is almost anyone.

43 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Exactly, not sure what people aren’t getting.

That said if we don’t sign a new number one for next season and McC is starting GK, then that’s an epic failure.

2 minutes ago, Ldnsaint said:

Do not understand the fuss over this Forster situation. Not been good enough for a few years and on massive money.

Yes he was good against Chelsea and Arsenal but big mistakes against Leeds and Brighton. 

Yup, agree with this. Whilst he is making some decent saves at the moment, I'd rather have McCarthy as number 2 and a much better GK (younger) as number 1

3 hours ago, Chez said:

Fans tend to get very invested in players leaving etc. Provided they do so in a reasonable matter its all part of the game these days. Its their careers and the club's business. If we end up letting players go for a free then that's technically the club's choices and planning that bring it to fruition - whatever the reason. The only exception to that is when a player messes the club around - i.e. negotiated in bad faith, low effort, doesn't train etc.

So in fairness to Forster, he is fully entitled to see his contract out and leave, he's never kicked up a fuss with saints and stayed professional throughout - despite being in and out of the team and shipped out on loan. So i do think there is an element of him doing his time, feeling like he's had a rough ride without grumbling, and no one really being able to argue with him leaving. The club could have addressed the keeper position in any transfer window of the past 3 years frankly. It isn't the blame of either Macca or Forster that it hasn't been resolved.

Also agree that Macca has had a similar time at the club (albeit without the loans). Ultimately we've got two professional (if not spectacular keepers).

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Wanting to play for us does not imply loyalty. These are professionals and everything revolves around money. McCarthy would have gone elsewhere if a better offer came along. That ain’t gonna happen so he stays with us.

Agree. I never felt Claus was loyal. I just thought we gave him the best offer so he stayed. Whether that is true or not I don't know. You are speculating and about McCarty's decision making process though - he could have become a free agent and tested the market (as they say in the US). You are probably right though, we may well have been the best offer in town, but my point was more about the attitude towards Forster than thoughts about McCarthy. No one seems disgruntled about Forster snubbing us, which is strange. Usually players that want out/turn their back on Saints are given short shrift. I don't blame him. Its a football business after all. I repeat what I have said before. I suspect he wanted out after he was pushed out the door on loan - so he maybe would have gone no matter what the offer. 

Returning to the fans attitude toards Forster's departure. The massive dislike of McCarthy (on here at least) and the realisation that he is our number 1 next year seems to have grabbed the attention, meanwhile Forster departs, on free (which is bad for our coffers) and not a bad word is said. Do we all wish him well? No one feel snubbed? 

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Fraser Forster - Official: Signs for Spurs