Fraser Forster - Official: Signs for Spurs

stevy777_x

With McCarthy signed for next few seasons, what do we do?

-Keep Forster and let them battle it out for number 1 spot

-Start afresh and get a keeper in who does the basics very well: good at shot stopping, commands his area well and good at distribution.

I vote to start afresh, as Forster has shown no signs of fetting all the basics right, he is a good shotstopper and uses his frame well but my oh my he can t command his area for toffee or pass it at well. 

Depends how much money we’ve got, but IMO a new keeper is a priority.  But then we’ve got other priorities too (new centre back, striker if Broja goes, ‘number 10’). A new, decent keeper is likely to cost £10m+ transfer fee plus wages. As we saw with Gunn, spending a lot doesn’t guarantee quality, so if a keeper isn’t deemed a top priority we may end up keeping FF. hopefully Ralph has his eye on a bargain though.

I much prefer him over McCarthy. However, with the latter signed beyond this season, it would seem very likely that it will be McCarthy battling it out with a new 'keeper for next season.

I'd prefer to strengthen elsewhere. So, I'd not mind Fraser not able to get as good a deal elsewhere, and signing an extension with us for next season.

I think Ralph recedtnly prasied the tradtional aspects of Forster's game, indicating that he has someone else in mind. Guess I have to have some faith in the scouting.

A few weeks a go I thought we should keep him, he looked back to his 2016 best, making top quality saves and it was only because of a shoddy defence in front of him that he was conceding goals. He was certainly keeping us in some matches.

However, it's becoming clear, that he just isn't consistently good enough, or able to maintain that form if we want to push up the league further. He's a good goalkeeper, will help keep teams in the Premier League, but he won't help them push beyond that. I can see him going the Dan Burn route and getting a nice final pay day and signing on fee by returning to Newcastle, becoming their number two, to be honest.

We need a goalkeeper where we can come away from a match and say I don't know how we won that, our goalkeeper got us those three points. Like with Davis in the lower leagues and Boruc and Niemi up here. We've not been able to say that for a few years now. Our outfield 10 have poor games, we lose. It's that simple. Whereas, we've outplayed plenty of teams this season and often blame poor finishing, but it's also a good opposition keeper that we have to beat.

We need to shake up the goal keeping positions this summer, no doubt about it.

Let Forster go, spend £10-15m on a new first choice keeper and we'll be laughing. As long as it's not an Angus Gun style £10m signing. (but I'm more confident in our scouting nowadays)

Fraser is clearly a better player than McCarthy, but since one has a contract and the other doesn’t the club don’t have a choice to make at the moment 

just need to get the new number 1 right in the summer

A new right side CB who can defend (unlike Stephens) and pass (unlike Bednarek) and a new keeper who communicates and can distribute (unlike McCarthy) and dominate his six-yard box (unlike Forster) would transform us defensively. Forster’s ludicrous contract has been a millstone for years.

If the McCarthy contract is signed, I hope it’s at backup wages, because that’s what he is - at best.

Probably in a minority here but between FF and AM, McCarthy is a better goalkeeper overall, sadly a few mistakes before his injury saw him lose his confidence, but he's far more reliable.

What I think we can all agree on is that we definitely need a new, better, number 1 at this level.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, haddock22 said:

Glad forster has a re emergence of late but can't forget the many mistakes he made before his long layoff do can never fully trust him.let him go with best wishes on all the money he received when not playing

Exactly this.   Some deserved redemption for him after several good performances of late - yet he's a seriously limited keeper and gave the impression for a long time that he was happy to sit on the bench and rake in the big wage rather than play Football elsewhere.   

I’d like to replace all our players for a combined Liverpool/Man City squad.

Hang on, that’s not possible :( 

I’d let go of Forster though, same way I’d also like to get rid of Bednarek, Djenepo, Long, Walcott.

The next step for Ralph is to evolve the depth we have and be decisive/ruthless. 

25 minutes ago, austsaint said:

Exactly this.   Some deserved redemption for him after several good performances of late - yet he's a seriously limited keeper and gave the impression for a long time that he was happy to sit on the bench and rake in the big wage rather than play Football elsewhere.   

Wasn’t he not in a good place mentally and so wasn’t keen on a move.

Id keep him if took massive wage drop. Also clause to dock wages for his mental freezing moment like v Wolves

1 hour ago, whelk said:

Wasn’t he not in a good place mentally and so wasn’t keen on a move.

Id keep him if took massive wage drop. Also clause to dock wages for his mental freezing moment like v Wolves

Take your point; and would have been a bit callous not to "nurse" him through a tough time in his personal life.      Maybe he would be an ok back up for a first choice new keeper, yet at 34, after 8 seasons at the Club, it's probably the right time and best decision for both parties to part ways.

None of our keepers should be starters in the league.

Forster is on a silly contact, is getting old, can't kick and is poor on crosses. Makes no sense to keep him unless we really can't find anyone better. It would be an absolute joke in terms of scouting if that was the case.

4 hours ago, JibMcdo said:

Heard 3 or 4 weeks ago that McCarthy is out for the foreseeable future, so if Forster is let go we may need two new keepers.

It's more of a priority that we replace McCarthy as he is our worst goalkeeper. It would be good if we could bring in a Premier League goalkeeper like Pope or Raya but there would always be a risk with an unproven young goalkeeper.

From those likely to go down. Norwich, will ditch Krul and play Gunn next season. So nothing there.

Watford, Foster is too old now and probably stay with Watford.

Burnley, Pope will want to play premier league football for sure, but depends if Burnley put a silly price on him.

11 minutes ago, EBS1980 said:

From those likely to go down. Norwich, will ditch Krul and play Gunn next season. So nothing there.

Watford, Foster is too old now and probably stay with Watford.

Burnley, Pope will want to play premier league football for sure, but depends if Burnley put a silly price on him.

What about Pickford?! 

• Like 1

Think Forster should and will depart. The goalkeeping position has been an issue for a long time now so there is no excuse for the scouts not to have in mind a decent number of alternatives. There must be some excellent keepers in the lower divisions or in Europe that we could bring in.

On 20/03/2022 at 21:02, CanadaSaint said:

If the McCarthy contract is signed, I hope it’s at backup wages

He was first choice when offered the contract. The contract ain't to be a backup. It will be sizeable wages. Dont shoot the messenger.

2 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

Forster has been playing well enough recently.

Need to sort out his wages but would rather spend £20m or so on an outfield player than on a 'keeper at the moment

The prob is that he's not going to take a massive pay cut to stay here, he might take a little cut...but we'd still be paying someone who is 35, and pretty average, an absolute mini fortune. We need to start again with our GK's as the previous incumbents in charge of this stuff made a right old mess of the situation. This summer is our opportunity to reshape our GK's with some young blood.

The priority still has to be to replace McCarthy. We certainly don't want him playing for us again next season. Because of Rasmus Ankersen's Brentford connections, I'd expected the new goalkeeper to be David Raya but now that it looks like they are staying up due to the points they've picked up since Raya's return from injury last month, perhaps that will no longer be possible.

3 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

The priority still has to be to replace McCarthy. We certainly don't want him playing for us again next season. Because of Rasmus Ankersen's Brentford connections, I'd expected the new goalkeeper to be David Raya but now that it looks like they are staying up due to the points they've picked up since Raya's return from injury last month, perhaps that will no longer be possible.

I don't think we'd have gone for someone like Raya.

I wouldn't have thought Rasmus will have any input into the day to day like this anyway.

If we let him go as I fear we might, given our mystifying decision to award McCarthy a new contract, then the new keeper we get in must be a clear number 1, not an understudy to McCarthy. In my view. We need to look abroad, I would think. Get a young keeper with good distribution and awareness as well as shot-stopping capability. Spend some money on what is a crucial position, or we will fritter points away again from blunders. Personally I would have given Forster the contract but if he's being super-greedy (which I suspect) then we have little choice. He'll have other suitors, but we won't get much.

3 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Just seen that he could get called up for England.

By my reckoning there are 6 English first team 'keepers in the PL. Two are already called up, Ramsdale is injured. Foster is about 56 years old and Gunn is crap. Who else were they going to call up to sit on the bench for 2 games? If he's called up it's by default.

1 hour ago, DT said:

Must be the terrible keeper some think, eh?

Pickford is our first choice. We are not exactly blessed in that department. Good for him though to come back from a terrible injury and make it back into the squad.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Fraser Forster - Official: Signs for Spurs