Fraser Forster - Official: Signs for Spurs

stevy777_x

If Saints genuinely haven't told Forster he is being released then thats a bit poor after such long service. I am sure he knows exactly what the situation is.

It was obvious as soon as McCarthy signed his extension as the whole issue was that we had two keepers on big wages which is stupid for a club our size. Despite the usual wallies on here saying McCarthy probably took a pay cut he clearly would not have.

The signing of a new GK is massive and needs to be right. As it stands McCarthy very likely to start next season as no1 but a good new keeper will surely pressure him pretty quickly.

Caballero staying as no3 seems a logical move.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dusic said:

If Saints genuinely haven't told Forster he is being released then thats a bit poor after such long service. I am sure he knows exactly what the situation is.

It was obvious as soon as McCarthy signed his extension as the whole issue was that we had two keepers on big wages which is stupid for a club our size. Despite the usual wallies on here saying McCarthy probably took a pay cut he clearly would not have.

The signing of a new GK is massive and needs to be right. As it stands McCarthy very likely to start next season as no1 but a good new keeper will surely pressure him pretty quickly.

Agree with all this.

The key to this idea is that the “new, young” GK needs to be bloody good.

I’ve said this before, but the City lad is (in theory) the right type - talented,  ambitious and, realistically, wouldn’t be far from playing games.

47 minutes ago, Dusic said:

As it stands McCarthy very likely to start next season as no1 but a good new keeper will surely pressure him pretty quickly.

I can see that happening with Bazunu. Starts the season on the bench, plays cup games and the  forces his way into the first team. 

Some great saves on this video.

1 minute ago, The Cat said:

I can see that happening with Bazunu. Starts the season on the bench, plays cup games and the  forces his way into the first team. 

Some great saves on this video.

If Ralph’s still here and he has a decent crack in pre-season, wouldn’t surprise me if he’s straight in a la Tino.

55 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

If Ralph’s still here and he has a decent crack in pre-season, wouldn’t surprise me if he’s straight in a la Tino.

Freeing up McCarthy to play as one of the 10s.

• Haha 2

He made a real howler in this game (1;39), back in October 2021. Not sure how many other errors he made throughout the season - but that might be more important than the number of `regulation' saves he made.

I’m not that arsed about Forster going, you shouldn’t renew a high earner’s contract just for a couple of good months. 

But to potentially have McCarthy as number one for 3-4 more years is awful, he wouldn’t get into any other team in the league. Sticking a number two keeper on number one’s wages. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

I’m happy that we haven’t fallen for Forster’s end of season form.

If McCarthy has had his wages significantly cut then I’m not disappointed with this situation, as long as he doesn’t see a PL minute next year.

He , McCathy' did have a spell where he was No1 , injury plus poor defence made him look bad . Forster looked good with protection a few seasons ago but then he had his 'breakdown ' and with club support has come back but with his same weak points .

17 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

He , McCathy' did have a spell where he was No1 , injury plus poor defence made him look bad . Forster looked good with protection a few seasons ago but then he had his 'breakdown ' and with club support has come back but with his same weak points .

Forster's return to the team in 2014/15 sparked an amazing run for the team defensively. It can't have been a coincidence.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/31300135

Right that he goes now though

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer

38 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

I’m happy that we haven’t fallen for Forster’s end of season form.

If McCarthy has had his wages significantly cut then I’m not disappointed with this situation, as long as he doesn’t see a PL minute next year.

What makes you think McCarthy's wages were cut?  When he signed it, he was our number 1. It wasn't a case of `who will take the least amount of money', it was a simply Ralph's choice as to which goalkeeper he wanted to keep. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chez said:

What makes you think McCarthy's wages were cut?  When he signed it, he was our number 1. It wasn't a case of `who will take the least amount of money', it was a simply Ralph's choice as to which goalkeeper he wanted to keep. 

Exactly. He was a PL no1 keeper, well established and in the prime years of his career and I'm sure his pay reflects that status.

Why on earth anyone thinks he would have even considered agreeing to take a pay cut is beyond me and I am equally sure Saints would not have suggested he take a pay cut.

Edited by Dusic

So we're looking at potentially McCarthy (as number 1), Bazunu/Dragowski (as the young number 2) and Caballero as the cheap number 3. As long as we get the acquisition of the new GK right, it's a position we shouldn't have to worry about next season.

Everton are also intersted in Bazunu. If that's also as a number 2, I'd say he'd be more likely to get game time with us than behind Pickford.

• Like 2

I hate to be harsh, but Macca as our no.1 going into next season just isn't acceptable. We've not been good enough between the sticks for several seasons now and it needs sorting. It's the easiest problem to fix, too - whereas, say, a good CB might not be able to fix an otherwise weak defensive line, a keeper is a lone appointment. Get it right and that's one problem solved. Frasier's been a fantastic servant for us but the time has come. We need a proper Prem quality no.1, a genuinely promising youngster with some Prem experience (or even cup experience for a Prem club) as no.2, and then I think Caballero's a decent enough back up at no.3.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Chez said:

You don't wait until a contract has expired to have a chat about what happens next. 

well YES, but...considering the huge salary that FF has been on it might be sensible for Saints to see what alternative offers 

he may get from elsewhere before coming back with a "more reasonable " salary offer (read MUCH LOWER) in order to keep him.

He may be so " wealthy"  that he can afford a return to Celtic and be adored by their fans, whilst playing for much less money.

If he goes to a Prem. Championship club elsewhere, he's unlikely to be first-choice, whereas IMHO he's much better

selection than McCarthy who unfortunately has already been re-signed, and we can't continue with both of them.

This is a  " Heart-Head " question.  I'd have no qualms at re-signing him, whereas we do need some  new " younger faces "

in the goalkeeping dept..... and PDQ.    Unfortunately that is a rare commodity at this level.  

8 hours ago, SNSUN said:

So we're looking at potentially McCarthy (as number 1), Bazunu/Dragowski (as the young number 2) and Caballero as the cheap number 3. As long as we get the acquisition of the new GK right, it's a position we shouldn't have to worry about next season.

Everton are also intersted in Bazunu. If that's also as a number 2, I'd say he'd be more likely to get game time with us than behind Pickford.

Dragowski wouldn't be a young number 2. He'll want to be a starting keeper and isn't going to move to sit on the bench.

I cannot believe the absolute pelters McCarthy gets from some fans.

He's a solid keeper, as is Forster. Both been in and around the England squad over the years.

The club realistically isn't going to renew both contracts, they are both of an age where they need to be playing regularly.

FF has done well this year, I never really thought we'd see him back in a Saints shirt, so it's been nice.

He'll have a chance now to get one more decent contract going on a free, hopefully he gets a nice reception against Liverpool

• Like 6

6 hours ago, david in sweden said:

well YES, but...considering the huge salary that FF has been on it might be sensible for Saints to see what alternative offers 

he may get from elsewhere before coming back with a "more reasonable " salary offer (read MUCH LOWER) in order to keep him.

He may be so " wealthy"  that he can afford a return to Celtic and be adored by their fans, whilst playing for much less money.

If he goes to a Prem. Championship club elsewhere, he's unlikely to be first-choice, whereas IMHO he's much better

selection than McCarthy who unfortunately has already been re-signed, and we can't continue with both of them.

This is a  " Heart-Head " question.  I'd have no qualms at re-signing him, whereas we do need some  new " younger faces "

in the goalkeeping dept..... and PDQ.    Unfortunately that is a rare commodity at this level.  

As you say, we need to go younger - especially as we have a financial model that relies on selling players. Having three keepers, none of which will/can ever be sold, doesn't support that model.

He ain't going back to Celtic. They have Joe Hart on a three year deal. They are not paying both.

Keep FF good keeper.

AM awful keeper, 90% of his distribution goes to opposition player, nearly cost us more goals trying play out from back yesterday v Liverpool. 

With other areas to improve first keep FF who is good keeper for couple more seasons.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, richard799 said:

Keep FF good keeper.

AM awful keeper, 90% of his distribution goes to opposition player, nearly cost us more goals trying play out from back yesterday v Liverpool. 

With other areas to improve first keep FF who is good keeper for couple more seasons.

All our keepers are very average. We desperately need a new first choice one rather than handing out a 2 year contract to a 35 year old who probably wouldn't get in another Premier League team.

• Like 1

Pretty sure he wasn’t on the “lap of appreciation” last night. A shame, he’s been a good servant to the club. And he’s miles better than McCarthy. 

We’ve had a shocker keeping Macca and losing Fraser IMO, but a new no1 is necessary regardless. 

33 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Pretty sure he wasn’t on the “lap of appreciation” last night. A shame, he’s been a good servant to the club. And he’s miles better than McCarthy. 

We’ve had a shocker keeping Macca and losing Fraser IMO, but a new no1 is necessary regardless. 

No, he wasn’t there, which was a shame. I knew that McCarthy was bad but I had forgotten just how bad. His kicking was all over the place, everywhere that is except to one of our players. I think he must be scared of getting hit by the ball. He seems to shrink whenever danger gets near him instead of trying to make himself bigger. He adopts a crouching tiger, hidden dragon stance.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

No, he wasn’t there, which was a shame. I knew that McCarthy was bad but I had forgotten just how bad. His kicking was all over the place, everywhere that is except to one of our players. I think he must be scared of getting hit by the ball. He seems to shrink whenever danger gets near him instead of trying to make himself bigger. He adopts a crouching tiger, hidden dragon stance.

He really is bad isn't he, certainly ok for backup and occasional games but as a starter he'll cost teams too many points and you'll always struggle with him as number one.

I hope the club realise that and don't peddle us the bollocks that he's the number 1, and we'll buy a new younger number 2 to develop etc. That would just about finish me off and confirm that the club don't really have a handle on reality, and are still trying to string out average as long as they can in the hope they become less average so they can proclaim the 'Southampton way' and 'Development' club nonsense.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

I said last  year that if McCarthy played in goal for the rest of the season, we'd be relegated and we would have been. I dread the prospect of him playing for us again next season. The Fiorentina reserve goalkeeper we are supposedly signing is very injury-prone and can be out for months at a time. He also gets suspended a lot. He got 2 red cards in his 9 first team appearances this season, which means we will almost certainly see more of McCarthy limbo dancing at his near post, trying to avoid getting hit by the ball.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

Fraser Forster was standing with the fans watching the game last night. 

• Like 3

On 15/05/2022 at 10:55, Chez said:

He made a real howler in this game (1;39), back in October 2021. Not sure how many other errors he made throughout the season - but that might be more important than the number of `regulation' saves he made.

To be fair Allison nearly did that last night, and he's not a bad player

6 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

The state of McCarthy last night.  Neither goal was his fault but his all round game was shit.

For an apparent 'well run club' what the hell are we doing with the keepers?

Especially when we have three ex keepers as coaches. 

38 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

Several sites reporting that Spurs are after him so he could end up playing in the Champions League next season.

Tottenham want England man that Arteta branded ‘exceptional’ this season (hitc.com)

Forster, 34, has broken back into Southampton’s side of late – overtaking Angus Gunn between the sticks.

Top journalism there.

24 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Well, he’s not injured. 

Why do we do this odd stuff? He has been at the club 7 or 8 years and despite all the stuff going on has never publically said a bad word.

Why not release a statement saying he isnt being offered a new deal and thanking him for his service?

Seems on the face of it such an easy and obvious way to handle it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

Why do we do this odd stuff? He has been at the club 7 or 8 years and despite all the stuff going on has never publically said a bad word.

Why not release a statement saying he isnt being offered a new deal and thanking him for his service?

Seems on the face of it such an easy and obvious way to handle it.

Makes sense, although it would possibly have to say "Forster has decided not to accept an offer of a new contract and instead will depart in the summer. Saints thank you for your service." 

42 minutes ago, Chez said:

Makes sense, although it would possibly have to say "Forster has decided not to accept an offer of a new contract and instead will depart in the summer. Saints thank you for your service." 

Exactly so. It's not difficult to write such a statement, perhaps the answer is that he is still discussing a new one? And how would we all feel about that?

14 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Exactly so. It's not difficult to write such a statement, perhaps the answer is that he is still discussing a new one? And how would we all feel about that?

Plenty of time to do it after the season ends too. Weeks and weeks of having no news - perfect for announcing end of contracts. You never know, the PR department might even get round to announcing a few new contracts too. Announcing Stephens and McCarthy contracts from previous years might be a good place to start.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I'd feel happy enough. We've plenty of more under performing areas of late to upgrade. So, wages/ contract clauses for Forster aside, we could focus on those areas. Just because he's under contract,  McCarthy could still move on. We might even get some pennies from the deal.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Chez said:

Which would be what has really happened. FF didn't want to stay.

Every season there’s a few of these moves for English keepers to “The Big Six” to sit in the bench.

Got to credit him for getting back to the sort of form to put him on the radar, though. 

A really interesting spell he had here when you look at it.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Fraser Forster - Official: Signs for Spurs