'Biggest stupid thing' - Redknapp on joining Saints

Wurzel

I never need to delve too deep into a 'Arry quote to make myself angry.

This charlatan damaged so many clubs during his cash grab era. A couple of them nearly never recovered.

Just because the dodgy geezer spent a couple weeks in the jungle, does not mean we all forgot what he did. 

Just to be clear, I think the guy is slime. 

• Like 15

Interview with The Portsmuff News......and that tells you all you need to know about Harry. He will say what he thinks people want to hear and it will change depending on who he is talking to. The guy is an absolute shit house, always has been, always will be.

It beats me as to why the British public think hes loveable old arry, a bit of a geezer, loves his missus, loves jam roly poly.

He's a c.........

• Like 10
  • Haha 6

I stumbled across a Rupert Lowe interview from a few weeks back that covered his thoughts on the Redknapp appointment, at which he commented that he should have stepped down at the time. Also suggested that the Hoddle leak might have been a result of phone hacking, although surely the culprit was a little closer to hand considering the board split, as much as his ilk wish to blame the mainstream media for all the ills of the world. 

I've set the link to start at a humourous anecdote that I'm sure a lot of you will enjoy. Apart from that, Rupert Lowe increasingly seems to resemble a Harry Enfield sketch character these days. Just to warn you, it is GB News and I'm not sure how Mark Dolan managed to get the job of interviewer:

https://youtu.be/lmByaGgCC0Y?t=395

35 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Interview with The Portsmuff News......and that tells you all you need to know about Harry. He will say what he thinks people want to hear and it will change depending on who he is talking to. The guy is an absolute shit house, always has been, always will be.

It beats me as to why the British public think hes loveable old arry, a bit of a geezer, loves his missus, loves jam roly poly.

He's a c.........

Class 👆🏻🤣

• Like 2

2 hours ago, beatlesaint said:

He's a c.........

This

29 minutes ago, Dr. Kucho said:

Pellegrino and Poortvliet in with a shout. 

22 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

As must the two Stuart's. Gray and Wigley

I'd sooner have any of those 4 than him.

Hated the appointment at the time and think I would give up on football altogether if he got anywhere near us again!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, saintquin said:

I'd sooner have any of those 4 than him.

Hated the appointment at the time and think I would give up on football altogether if he got anywhere near us again!

On the pitch Saints did the first time around

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, rooney said:

When he and Lampards Dad had the sack at West Ham, nobody knew why but we can guess.

I know why. I also know that Redknapp was telling close friends the day after his appointment at Saints that he had made a terrible mistake taking the job. 

10 hours ago, Katalinic said:

I know why. I also know that Redknapp was telling close friends the day after his appointment at Saints that he had made a terrible mistake taking the job. 

Was that when he realised Rupert was keeping a close control on finances and transfer dealings ?

• Like 2

Coming from London, Harry obviously didn't realise what REAL derby rivalry is all about.

The background goes back to grandfather's time, and some of the younger generation have inherited that memory.

My father was a Saints fan in the 1930's and the post-WW2 period and said some Saints fans would go to Fratton Park 

on those occasions that Saints were playing away.  At the time Pompey were a top class team and had won two League titles.

The aggro' returned in the early 1960's when we ended up in Division 2 at the same time, and hasn't relented since.

Yes  'arry.... .it was a mistake.   (Someone else who ignored the lessons of history).

** The outcome has been that those few Pompey players who ever came to So'ton were never allowed to forget their origins,

and any ex-Saints player who ended his career at Pompey, was seen to be ..... " scraping the bottom of the barrel ". 

23 hours ago, Dr. Kucho said:

Pellegrino and Poortvliet in with a shout. 

Yes, they along with Wigley and Gray are worthy candidates too, but Saggy trumps all of them. A total conman, and a semi-decent manager would've kept us up. And as for that thumbs up to Mad Milan after the Krapp Nottarf humiliation ..... 

8 hours ago, david in sweden said:

My father was a Saints fan in the 1930's and the post-WW2 period and said some Saints fans would go to Fratton Park 

on those occasions that Saints were playing away.  At the time Pompey were a top class team and had won two League titles.

The aggro' returned in the early 1960's when we ended up in Division 2 at the same time, and hasn't relented since.

I have heard the story that locals back then would typically watch whichever side was playing at home but I wasn't aware that there was any semblance of a rivalry prior to the 1960s, got any more information about that?

10 hours ago, Badger said:

Was that when he realised Rupert was keeping a close control on finances and transfer dealings ?

I think it was when he realised he had forgotten to negotiate the % of player sale profit he had in his contract at West Ham and the Skates. When you look at some of the transfer dealings around the time it all makes sense. Double pay days for agents, players and bagpuss himself - what a Storrie..

Edited by Katalinic
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pamplemousse said:

I wonder if they'll bother attempting a minute's silence at St Mary's when he dies? That would be interesting. Maybe in 10/20 years things will have simmered down. Or not.

We might all do that clapping thing instead. Once it's been officially confirmed...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He conned the court in that case with Manderic on the money lodged with HSBC Jersey, when he said he was not technically minded and could not send

texts. A month later he was telling the press that he texted Rio Ferdinand to congratulate him on getting back into the England Team. You could not make it up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rooney said:

He conned the court in that case with Manderic on the money lodged with HSBC Jersey, when he said he was not technically minded and could not send

texts. A month later he was telling the press that he texted Rio Ferdinand to congratulate him on getting back into the England Team. You could not make it up.

Also said he could barely read. Seems he'd overcome that obstacle only a few years later when reading to his room mate in "I'm a celebrity". 

On 22/03/2022 at 13:52, beatlesaint said:

He's a c.........

100%. If I was on my way home from the pub one night, busting for a piss, and he staggered ablaze out of a nearby burning building, I would cross the road and piss on a tree.

• Like 1

On 24/03/2022 at 16:09, rooney said:

The police had a slam dunk but fucked it up. Lots of evidence excluded because it was obtained improperly. 

3 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

The police had a slam dunk but fucked it up. Lots of evidence excluded because it was obtained improperly. 

Who was the nations barrister? To lose a case when an account was named after the pet dog, who didnt do a simple google about his inability to text or didnt know how to do a bet must be the worst lawyer of all time

• Like 1

On 23/03/2022 at 19:17, Ted Bates Statue said:

I have heard the story that locals back then would typically watch whichever side was playing at home but I wasn't aware that there was any semblance of a rivalry prior to the 1960s, got any more information about that?

I 've heard several explanations quoted over the decades about the animosity between the clubs.

1) ..sometime in the 1950's? ... Pompey fans were angered when (in the throws of a dock strike) the Portsmouth dock authority

" imported " some workers from So´ton to keep the activities going.  (Portsmouth was still an important Royal Naval base at the time)

perhaps naturally enough it upset some of the locals in Portsmouth.   (At this time the clubs were far apart in the League..

Saints were still in Div.3 (South)  whilst Pompey had won the League title (Div. 1)  twice in the post WW2 era). 

2) Whatever anger / rivalry remained boiled over onto the pitch in the early 1960's, when we had derby games again in Division 2.

(Saints having been promoted - whilst Pompey were relegated from Div.1 ).  A classic punch-up began between  Pompey left back

Roy Lunnis  ( a tough 6 '4" ex-Marine)....and our very own Terry Paine.   Despite the difference in height and weight (5' 8" TP) was

never a  shrinking violet in a scrap, and both were sent off at one time or another. Opposing fans carried the aggression onto the terraces. 

3) As if to add insult to injury the rivalry came to a head in season 1965-66 , when Saints were promoted to Div.1  and plundered Pompey

5-2  away  (Norman Dean became the only Saints' player to score a hat-trick in a League game at Fratton Park)  whilst Pompey struggled on

only to be relegated to Division 3  (L1)  a few years later.  Needless to say something neither set of fans had overlooked, as we saw in the

recent League Cup match at Fratton  (we won 4-0),  and Pompey fans showed their " irritation " once again ....with the usual ferocity. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, david in sweden said:

I 've heard several explanations quoted over the decades about the animosity between the clubs.

1) ..sometime in the 1950's? ... Pompey fans were angered when (in the throws of a dock strike) the Portsmouth dock authority

" imported " some workers from So´ton to keep the activities going.  (Portsmouth was still an important Royal Naval base at the time)

perhaps naturally enough it upset some of the locals in Portsmouth.   (At this time the clubs were far apart in the League..

Saints were still in Div.3 (South)  whilst Pompey had won the League title (Div. 1)  twice in the post WW2 era). 

2) Whatever anger / rivalry remained boiled over onto the pitch in the early 1960's, when we had derby games again in Division 2.

(Saints having been promoted - whilst Pompey were relegated from Div.1 ).  A classic punch-up began between  Pompey left back

Roy Lunnis  ( a tough 6 '4" ex-Marine)....and our very own Terry Paine.   Despite the difference in height and weight (5' 8" TP) was

never a  shrinking violet in a scrap, and both were sent off at one time or another. Opposing fans carried the aggression onto the terraces. 

3) As if to add insult to injury the rivalry came to a head in season 1965-66 , when Saints were promoted to Div.1  and plundered Pompey

5-2  away  (Norman Dean became the only Saints' player to score a hat-trick in a League game at Fratton Park)  whilst Pompey struggled on

only to be relegated to Division 3  (L1)  a few years later.  Needless to say something neither set of fans had overlooked, as we saw in the

recent League Cup match at Fratton  (we won 4-0),  and Pompey fans showed their " irritation " once again ....with the usual ferocity. 

I thought the first theory has been discounted as a myth, without any record of such an event.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/portsmouth/news/16115/great-pompey-myths-debunked--no-1-the-origin-of-scummers

This article confirms that it was the other way round, Portsmouth dock workers had no union so they couldn't strike anyway. Hilariously, it's actually from a Pompey fan website.

Edited by Ted Bates Statue