MLT - Legend or embarrassment?

whelk

8 hours ago, ant said:

Wait... So Matt can hold and express any opinion he likes on any subject (which he's perfectly able to, of course), yet nobody is allowed to have an opinion on that?

That's not free speech.

This situation hasn't occured because of a supposed 'cancel culture' - it's consequence culture.

Say whatever you like. Just don't be surprised if people have something to say in response.

Yep free speech does not mean free from consequences, something that people seem to forget with this whole 'cancel culture' BS, which is basically people demanding they get to say any old brain fart they like and there should be zero consequences for it.  

Also as far as I can see he still has his twitter account (though twitter as a private company with a terms of service can ban you all they like anyway) he has just been rightly criticised for what he said, or basically what he highlighted. IIRC the only people banned or censored on twitter are people who repeatedly put dangerous or misleading or hateful content up time and time again, stuff like covid conspiracies that have been widely debunked and are dangerous to spread. 

And to those saying it is possible this was not done by Russia, whilst that is technically true, all logic and evidence available so far suggest the events are true, and considering the extremely sensitive nature of the subject area you'd think anyone with a working brain would at least wait for something, anything, evidence wise that might support their theory that it is a lie, instead of just jumping out there and declaring to the world that you think a war crime, despite all evidence to the contrary has been made up or staged. 

The irony as well of people spouting or believing conspiracy theories who are then telling people to check their sources because it comes from mainstream media, when that is literally what they should be doing instead of believing some random nonsense posted on twitter or facebook. Nah cos the BBC and every news outlet out there across multiple countries is lying, but that random twitter account is in the know.....I mean its so dense on every level and that is clearly what Le Tiss is, very dense for believing these things and even more dense for expressing these thoughts publicly as well known public figure. 

• Like 31

Regardless of Matt being a legend, he is on the wrong side of the narrative, not wrong in what he said.  Russia asked the UN to investigate Bucha, motion blocked by UK.  There are evidential photographic inconsistencies such as victims wearing white arm and leg bands.  Russian Rat Packs in the location of the bodies and the Ukrainian woman who poses dead only to do a Jesus and return, although she got slammed by western Twitterites.  No doubt crimes are being committed on both sides but take everything you see in the press with a large dose of salt, the first victim of war is always the truth.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Killers Knee said:

Regardless of Matt being a legend, he is on the wrong side of the narrative, not wrong in what he said.  Russia asked the UN to investigate Bucha, motion blocked by UK.  There are evidential photographic inconsistencies such as victims wearing white arm and leg bands.  Russian Rat Packs in the location of the bodies and the Ukrainian woman who poses dead only to do a Jesus and return, although she got slammed by western Twitterites.  No doubt crimes are being committed on both sides but take everything you see in the press with a large dose of salt, the first victim of war is always the truth.

This is so ironic it's post ironic

• Confused 1

Are we seriously suggesting that the media DON'T manipulate things? Because that's more bonkers than any conspiracy theory.

I'm surprised in this age of mental health awareness and all that bullsh1t that people claim to be concerned about, no one has considered the possibility that MLT may well be suffering from some kind of issue.

As a long time bipolar sufferer, this is exactly the kind of thing I'd have come out with when not on meds and manic. We don't all go around drooling and speaking in nonsensical ramblings in an "obvious" way. But buying into weird conspiracy theories and being annoyed or feeling a sense of intellectual superiority and generally "hard done by" when people question you are classic signs. Also buying into these suggestions that, in theory, could be true is often how it is as opposed to the kind of stuff that people traditionally associate with delusions - ie stuff like "I got taken on an alien spaceship last night" or "I'm from another dimension where toasters rule the Earth" which are basically there for sitcoms and comedy films.

I'm not saying this is the case, in fact it probably isn't but it's quite possible. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, harvey said:

So you don't question ANYTHING and believe EVERYTHING you're told????🤔

Lol, unless you are there you have to believe what the people who are there are saying. Not one account but multiple accounts of people who have witnessed the event. It like the holocaust deniers on here!!!

12 minutes ago, Instant Classic said:

Are we seriously suggesting that the media DON'T manipulate things? Because that's more bonkers than any conspiracy theory.

I'm surprised in this age of mental health awareness and all that bullsh1t that people claim to be concerned about, no one has considered the possibility that MLT may well be suffering from some kind of issue.

As a long time bipolar sufferer, this is exactly the kind of thing I'd have come out with when not on meds and manic. We don't all go around drooling and speaking in nonsensical ramblings in an "obvious" way. But buying into weird conspiracy theories and being annoyed or feeling a sense of intellectual superiority and generally "hard done by" when people question you are classic signs. Also buying into these suggestions that, in theory, could be true is often how it is as opposed to the kind of stuff that people traditionally associate with delusions - ie stuff like "I got taken on an alien spaceship last night" or "I'm from another dimension where toasters rule the Earth" which are basically there for sitcoms and comedy films.

I'm not saying this is the case, in fact it probably isn't but it's quite possible. 

I had the same thought.  I wonder if there is a mental health issue at the bottom of all this.  It certainly doesn't appear to be rational behaviour - especially as he seems incapable of keeping quite about these ideas

16 minutes ago, kwsaint said:

I had the same thought.  I wonder if there is a mental health issue at the bottom of all this.  It certainly doesn't appear to be rational behaviour - especially as he seems incapable of keeping quite about these ideas

That's exactly it. The fact that he just seems to want to say something controversial about everything. The reason that sufferers don't tend to cross over into "The Queen is a lizard" or "Hitler is traveling through time to steal my liver" territory is because, as with most mental health issues, you honestly believe you're right and you're so intrigued and determined to prove yourself right that you'll do your own research into stuff and start piecing it all together. I've been there more times than I care to remember sadly. Whereas with the aforementioned 'extreme examples' you wouldn't find anything to base them on because there'd be absolutely nothing.

I just can't believe someone whom, through his career and life had been regarded as well rounded, intelligent (in some respects) and generally level headed and has done a fair amount for charity is suddenly coming out with all this stuff over a period of 18 months or so. It doesn't make any sense what so ever. I'm convinced there's more to this than MLT simply being a bit of a tool (not denying that he certainly can be that as well mind).

4 hours ago, Instant Classic said:

That's exactly it. The fact that he just seems to want to say something controversial about everything. The reason that sufferers don't tend to cross over into "The Queen is a lizard" or "Hitler is traveling through time to steal my liver" territory is because, as with most mental health issues, you honestly believe you're right and you're so intrigued and determined to prove yourself right that you'll do your own research into stuff and start piecing it all together. I've been there more times than I care to remember sadly. Whereas with the aforementioned 'extreme examples' you wouldn't find anything to base them on because there'd be absolutely nothing.

I just can't believe someone whom, through his career and life had been regarded as well rounded, intelligent (in some respects) and generally level headed and has done a fair amount for charity is suddenly coming out with all this stuff over a period of 18 months or so. It doesn't make any sense what so ever. I'm convinced there's more to this than MLT simply being a bit of a tool (not denying that he certainly can be that as well mind).

You mention he has changed over the last 18 months or so. Was that around the time he lost his pundit's job on TV? I wonder if that was the catalyst. He may be making these weird statements to keep himself in the public eye. What else is he doing at the moment? There is no such thing as bad publicity.

8 minutes ago, Sarnia Cherie said:

You mention he has changed over the last 18 months or so. Was that around the time he lost his pundit's job on TV? I wonder if that was the catalyst. He may be making these weird statements to keep himself in the public eye. What else is he doing at the moment? There is no such thing as bad publicity.

He's saying he lost the SKY job because of what he said on Twitter - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-10695719/Matt-Le-Tissier-blames-Sky-sacking-conspiracy-REALIST.html

22 hours ago, RedArmy said:

Tell me more about his job at sky sports that he must still have? 

Phil Thompson cancelled too then as well as Mark Laurenceson On Match of the Day or perhaps it is just the right time for a change? The right wing nutjobs will always find a conspiracy.

9 minutes ago, Rebel said:

He's saying he lost the SKY job because of what he said on Twitter - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-10695719/Matt-Le-Tissier-blames-Sky-sacking-conspiracy-REALIST.html

So he lost his job with Sky over what he said on Twitter,now he's lost his association with SFC over what he said on Twitter. Bit of a common theme running through this ,eh Matt ?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Instant Classic said:

It's quite obvious there is a mental health issue of some sort. A lot of top people retire and lose the fame and the adrenalin, the glamour and the publicity and seek new ways of rediscovering it. It began before Marcus took over. Remember how he tried to get that penniless guy from North London to take us over and him him Chairman? It is really  sad

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Rickie Lambert ‘stands with Le Tissier’, according to his Instagram. He stopped short of providing any context of what he actually meant, which is probably the most intelligent decision either of them have made in all of this.

Be nice if two of my favourite players of all time would stop acting like idiots.

• Like 4

I do actually believe Jordan Sibley (club communications ) has failed the club/fans/city in not acting sooner on Le Tissier as hes been irresponsible since middle of 2020

Its comical that the Saints foundation in 2020 made le tissier an ambassador despite all the looney garbage he was spreading on social media.

When his 'opinion' becomes a danger to public health, you cannot simply ignore it. 

2 minutes ago, SaintsLoyal said:

I do actually believe Jordan Sibley (club communications ) has failed the club/fans/city in not acting sooner on Le Tissier as hes been irresponsible since middle of 2020

Its comical that the Saints foundation in 2020 made le tissier an ambassador despite all the looney garbage he was spreading on social media.

When his 'opinion' becomes a danger to public health, you cannot simply ignore it. 

But look at the support he still gets due to the fact he could kick or head a bag of wind into a goal. He could be done for heinous crimes and still get followers.

There is a line, it is bad enough his Covid stuff but the Ukraine stuff is a nonsense. I hope hope RL does not transgress 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dellman said:

It's quite obvious there is a mental health issue of some sort. A lot of top people retire and lose the fame and the adrenalin, the glamour and the publicity and seek new ways of rediscovering it. It began before Marcus took over. Remember how he tried to get that penniless guy from North London to take us over and him him Chairman? It is really  sad

#IStandWithMickyFialka

Someone tweet it to Sir Rickie, let's get this trending 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, hackedoff said:

So he lost his job with Sky over what he said on Twitter,now he's lost his association with SFC over what he said on Twitter. Bit of a common theme running through this ,eh Matt ?

Behind on this, Who's said he's lost his association with SFC? 

I think the bottom line for Le Tissier is that he has no idea on the sort of things he said and promoted on twitter during 2020/2021 

It was simply horrendous during a public health crisis.

Then we have the Bill Gates, the Great reset, the WEF make him a full blown conspiracy theorist.

There are many questions around covid but non of the above is valid.

Edited by SaintsLoyal

1 hour ago, SaintsLoyal said:

I think the bottom line for Le Tissier is that he has no idea on the sort of things he said and promoted on twitter during 2020/2021 

It was simply horrendous during a public health crisis.

Bill Gates, the Great reset, the WEF make him a full blown conspiracy theorist.

On 06/04/2022 at 23:04, tajjuk said:

Yep free speech does not mean free from consequences, something that people seem to forget with this whole 'cancel culture' BS, which is basically people demanding they get to say any old brain fart they like and there should be zero consequences for it.  

Also as far as I can see he still has his twitter account (though twitter as a private company with a terms of service can ban you all they like anyway) he has just been rightly criticised for what he said, or basically what he highlighted. IIRC the only people banned or censored on twitter are people who repeatedly put dangerous or misleading or hateful content up time and time again, stuff like covid conspiracies that have been widely debunked and are dangerous to spread. 

And to those saying it is possible this was not done by Russia, whilst that is technically true, all logic and evidence available so far suggest the events are true, and considering the extremely sensitive nature of the subject area you'd think anyone with a working brain would at least wait for something, anything, evidence wise that might support their theory that it is a lie, instead of just jumping out there and declaring to the world that you think a war crime, despite all evidence to the contrary has been made up or staged. 

The irony as well of people spouting or believing conspiracy theories who are then telling people to check their sources because it comes from mainstream media, when that is literally what they should be doing instead of believing some random nonsense posted on twitter or facebook. Nah cos the BBC and every news outlet out there across multiple countries is lying, but that random twitter account is in the know.....I mean its so dense on every level and that is clearly what Le Tiss is, very dense for believing these things and even more dense for expressing these thoughts publicly as well known public figure. 

There won't be a better post on this thread than this one.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, once_bitterne said:

I see the once Great has now been reduced to giving talks in local pubs for a tenner a pop...

Wonder what brought it all on he says boredom in lockdown lol, maybe a way to stay relevant

On 06/04/2022 at 23:04, tajjuk said:

Well put.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, SaintsLoyal said:

If you block everyone that is critical of you and don't follow anyone that has contravening opinions, you don't tend to get much balance.

I saw a video interview with MLT a week or so ago and he pointed to a change in feedback on twitter, whereby he had received a lot of criticism initially to his posts/beliefs (about 80% critical and 20% supportive) but as time went by that split had reversed. I wondered if people on here think that is that indicative of UK society as a whole - I guess as time went by more people will have become sceptics about COVID/government policy etc. - or is it just a sign of an echo chamber as people stop following him on twitter that didn't agree and more started following him that did?

4 minutes ago, Chez said:

If you block everyone that is critical of you and don't follow anyone that has contravening opinions, you don't tend to get much balance.

I saw a video interview with MLT a week or so ago and he pointed to a change in feedback on twitter, whereby he had received a lot of criticism initially to his posts/beliefs (about 80% critical and 20% supportive) but as time went by that split had reversed. I wondered if people on here think that is that indicative of UK society as a whole - I guess as time went by more people will have become sceptics about COVID/government policy etc. - or is it just a sign of an echo chamber as people stop following him on twitter that didn't agree and more started following him that did?

Birds of a feather flock together. I’m sure many sane people, including myself, got fed up with his delusional rantings and unfollowed him. Likewise most conspiracy theorists are stuck in an ongoing circle-jerk of misinformation, all citing each other as sources. People with little interest in Saints or even football will follow Tiss because they want to believe what he posts.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

Birds of a feather flock together. I’m sure many sane people, including myself, got fed up with his delusional rantings and unfollowed him. Likewise most conspiracy theorists are stuck in an ongoing circle-jerk of misinformation, all citing each other as sources. People with little interest in Saints or even football will follow Tiss because they want to believe what he posts.

You mean like that councillor for Totton a few years ago called Ricky Lambert and totally used that fact to store votes off complete idiots? Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming him at all, you do whatever is needed to win but I dread to think how many voted for him purely for that.

In regards to the comment above referencing the time MLT got suckered in by that penniless guy back in 2009, yes, that's an example of sorts however didn't we all get suckered in a bit by that? He must have had something about him since Keegan (would be manager) and Strachen (would be DOF) had basically agreed their respective roles under this fictional new hierarchy according to reports. Also I seem to remember Lawrie saying that he'd met with this guy and really liked him?

I really hope MLT gets some help soon but the problem is, like I mentioned above, because he isn't spouting utterly unbelievable stuff but instead stuff that in theory, could be true, he isn't likely to get 'noticed' as much as someone who's saying stuff like "The grass is reciting poetry and wants me to kill my neighbour". The reason that Gazza had so much of the public urging him to get help because the things he was doing (and to a lesser extent saying) were so out there you just couldn't ignore them but with stuff like MLT has been saying it's easy to just brush off as "Oh what a tool..."

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Probably loads of Russian bots tagged onto him. There is a propaganda war going on, and none of us know if they are true or false accounts

In regards to the comment above referencing the time MLT got suckered in by that penniless guy back in 2009, yes, that's an example of sorts however didn't we all get suckered in a bit by that? He must have had something about him since Keegan (would be manager) and Strachen (would be DOF) had basically agreed their respective roles under this fictional new hierarchy according to reports. Also I seem to remember Lawrie saying that he'd met with this guy and really liked him?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

We were mere hours from going out of business. I was clinging to anything and everything. Anyone using this as a stick to beat MLT with didn't go through the same trauma as me. I thought we were gone in those last days. Markus finding us was a godsend, but we didn't know that at the time. Matt was fighting for his club. Anyone who thinks it was something else is wrong.

And concerning his latest views of all things of this world, I find not getting breaking news stories from sportsmen and celebrities limits the damage to ones mind. Stop tuning in, leave your memories intact, it will be healthier in the long run. 

2 hours ago, Chez said:

I guess that's how these nut-job theories take shape, Le Tiss has become an idiot magnet.

Such a shame, used to be a hero of mine now just a laughing stock.

2 hours ago, Chez said:

Don’t think it’s about a shift in attitudes on the topic. More like matts fans base on twitter shifting from saints/footie fans to fellow conspiracy theorists. As someone said, birds of a feather.

• Like 2

This is an interesting Ted talk and may go some way to explain part of the issue.  This is about Facebook, but you can imagine that Twitter and the like are the same.

MLT's Twitter feed must be something like...."You follow David Ike and TinFoilNewsUK, why not follow GBNews and Katie Hopkins" or "people you are following also follow XYZ" so he's constantly fed more and more of the kind of information he wants to read. His ad's will also be targeted as a result. 

Facebook's role in Brexit — and the threat to democracy | Carole Cadwalladr - YouTube

There's an ego thing as well I think, he was used to be a big fish, and now he lives in a world he has no control over, so instead of having no control he has to assert that he has "joined the dots" or knows something we dont know, gives his ego an element of control. 

Reasons 2, 3 and 10 pretty much...

10 Reasons Why People Believe Conspiracy Theories - Owlcation

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Marsdinho said:

This is an interesting Ted talk and may go some way to explain part of the issue.  This is about Facebook, but you can imagine that Twitter and the like are the same.

MLT's Twitter feed must be something like...."You follow David Ike and TinFoilNewsUK, why not follow GBNews and Katie Hopkins" or "people you are following also follow XYZ" so he's constantly fed more and more of the kind of information he wants to read. His ad's will also be targeted as a result. 

Facebook's role in Brexit — and the threat to democracy | Carole Cadwalladr - YouTube

There's an ego thing as well I think, he was used to be a big fish, and now he lives in a world he has no control over, so instead of having no control he has to assert that he has "joined the dots" or knows something we dont know, gives his ego an element of control. 

Reasons 2, 3 and 10 pretty much...

10 Reasons Why People Believe Conspiracy Theories - Owlcation

I think labelling anyone who questions the narrative as a conspiracy theorist has become a problem. It became a method of silencing people and shutting down debate during covid, lockdowns have been shown to be a terrible mistake that will have long term consequences,  people who opposed them like Le Tiss were labelled conspiracy theorists at the time 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, JRM said:

I think labelling anyone who questions the narrative as a conspiracy theorist has become a problem. It became a method of silencing people and shutting down debate during covid, lockdowns have been shown to be a terrible mistake that will have long term consequences,  people who opposed them like Le Tiss were labelled conspiracy theorists at the time 

That's the problem with the Poundland David Icke and other conspiracy theorists, they pick and choose the bit the think they were right over, and never hold their hands up over the stuff they got wildly wrong. Funny how MLT is retweeting the "I think your amazing" tweets and none of the "legend to bell end" tweets. 

Like a gambler that only tells you about their winnings!

• Like 2

Its about time some people took off their red and white tinted spectacles and realised just exactly what le tissier has been saying on his social media.

He has no defence and anyone doing that for him is merely endorsing his dangerous behaviour.

The situation now has got so bad that someone out there must direct him towards stoppping all this conspiracy stuff and get some much needed therapy.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, JRM said:

No, le tisser was labelled a conspiracy theorist because he suggested that the covid pandemic was planned and part of the great reset conspiracy.

He backed all this up with going on about bill gates, the world economic forum.

The problem with Matt le tissier like all paranoid conspiracy theorists is there will be a grain of truth in something, but overall 95% then gets taken over with the stuff i mentioned above. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JRM said:

No, the problem is that people believe there is a ‘narrative’ when in reality it’s a common consensus, backed up by overwhelming evidence. "War crimes are being committed in Ukraine," is not some official piece of state propaganda that all MSM has been ordered to adhere to. It happened, beyond any reasonable doubt, we have the bodies, the eyewitness accounts and other evidence to prove it.

The biggest fallacy that conspiracy theorists cling to is that their counter argument is equal and opposite to the ‘official narrative’. The idea that a professor in infectious disease, who has been doing actual research, in a laboratory, peer-reviewed and cross checked, day-in day-out for decades, is somehow equal to a guy on Facebook saying, "yeah but what if it isn’t," is truly contemptible. The fact that you can’t decide which of those to put your faith in is beyond absurdity.

• Like 16

53 minutes ago, JRM said:

Anyone that uses the phrase "questions the narrative" like that probably is a conspiracy theorist, or at least a bit dim.

Matthew Le Tissier knows fuck all about infectious diseases, pandemics, government crisis management, epidemiology or anything pertinent to the topic. He certainly doesn't know anything about how the decisions came about to recommend the measures that our government and other governments took during pretty unprecedented times. He's not part of any bloody "debate". He's a thick ex footballer. He's not being "shut down" - he's just irrelevant.

MLT is just parroting some anti-establishment attack lines and he's got himself into a little feedback loop where he is getting just enough affirmation from like minded souls. I can see he's still going on to his thousands of followers right now, so not sure how anyonecan say he is being silenced.

The logical end of his worldvew is to for him to then imply that Russian war atrocities aren't happening because the evil mainstream meeeeja say they are happening so it must be a lie. Nice one genius.

But that's on him and his youtube rabbit hole "research". He can move ever closer into that little enclave of nut cases if he wants. Free speech innit.

But I think the rest if us can call him an absolute bell-end if we want. Free speech innit 

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Marsdinho said:

That's the problem with the Poundland David Icke and other conspiracy theorists, they pick and choose the bit the think they were right over, and never hold their hands up over the stuff they got wildly wrong. Funny how MLT is retweeting the "I think your amazing" tweets and none of the "legend to bell end" tweets. 

Like a gambler that only tells you about their winnings!

Personally I miss all those geniuses who were saying "now these restrictions are in place they will never be taken away!! NEVER!! The government want to CONTROL every element of our lives forever now and this is just the start now they've got their claws into us etc etc etc etc"

We had that shit on here from some posters.

How's that working out, fuckwits? 

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1