MLT - Legend or embarrassment?

whelk

1 minute ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Such a sad situation. A true club legend brought down to this. I must admit he doesn't come across as being thick as shit,I've always thought of him as being quite articulate and knowledgeable. The stuff he did on the pitch is what I want to remember him for.

It is sad, but only down to the memories of his football skills. 

9 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Such a sad situation. A true club legend brought down to this. I must admit he doesn't come across as being thick as shit,I've always thought of him as being quite articulate and knowledgeable. The stuff he did on the pitch is what I want to remember him for.

The same club legend was being lambasted for speaking out against Cortese with many of our fans turning their back on him because he didn't kiss the italian dwarfs arse. I doubt he cares very much what our weird fans think.

• Like 1

Imagine at some stage in the future he will look back at the last 3 years in embarassment.

Very, very few players at any club are afforded such legendary status and ruining it to the extent of having to stand down as an ambassador is quite something.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, whelk said:

Ok I never thought it would come to this  but I can’t stand this dickhead - has become an odious individual now. 

I don't want to become odious but I think Bucha needs a thorough international investigation ... Matt could be right.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Personally I'm not swayed by people's opinions on twitter, and care very little. However I get that others are more influenced. Still a legend, I feel lucky that such a genius on the pitch spent his entire career playing for my club.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, jamesfp1 said:

He's gone too far down the rabbit hole, this is it for him now.

The whole country disappeared down a rabbit hole into Wonderland during the hysterical Covid response.

Matt just tried to shine some light down that hole.

He wasn't always right, and his comments on Bucha were ill judged, but in general he has been more right than our MSM.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Trouble is the way social media works with how they push the stuff you want to see means confirmation bias can make even the most seemingly intelligent people base their opinions off completely lopsided information. You really have to work these days to get views from both sides of an argument. It's why everyone now thinks that their opinion is the majority held one.

• Like 1

I'm not entirely sure what he meant about Bucha and to be honest, his views on Covid were fairly close to mine, so respect for saying how he felt about that. Of course some of the stuff was a bit far fetched and maybe a little ludicrous. As for this one, hopefully we have an investigation into Bucha because I don't know for sure that the Russians did it, as does anyone else on here. It's a dodgy part of the world and it's not impossible that the Ukrainians have manipulated some of the war correspondence. Zelensky addressing all of the world parliaments and UN, he's didn't care about the build up before the invasion, brushing it off. Now he walks around like some sort of Nelson Mandela figure,  I don't know, just some of it is a bit strange. I also find it strange that the west have not been actively involved, I mean you could start to argue that Bucha was akin to genocide and people have mentioned the holocaust, but we still don't go in? I know we did the same in WW2, they knew from 1942/1943, but we let millions more die.

War is never what it seems and is rarely for any worthwhile reason.

I don't really care what he says, the whole point of Twitter is for people to say how they feel, just because you don't like it or agree, doesn't make it wrong. That said, you can't embarrass the company that you are working for if you are in that sort of high profile job.

Finally, best player i ever saw in the flesh. Not sure I'd still be into football if it wasn't for him and like many others, met him loads of times and he is without doubt a straight up guy and does a hell of a lot of good work for others, and ironically did a lot at Fare Share during the pandemic. 

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Noodles34 said:

I'm not entirely sure what he meant about Bucha and to be honest, his views on Covid were fairly close to mine, so respect for saying how he felt about that. Of course some of the stuff was a bit far fetched and maybe a little ludicrous. As for this one, hopefully we have an investigation into Bucha because I don't know for sure that the Russians did it, as does anyone else on here. It's a dodgy part of the world and it's not impossible that the Ukrainians have manipulated some of the war correspondence. Zelensky addressing all of the world parliaments and UN, he's didn't care about the build up before the invasion, brushing it off. Now he walks around like some sort of Nelson Mandela figure,  I don't know, just some of it is a bit strange. I also find it strange that the west have not been actively involved, I mean you could start to argue that Bucha was akin to genocide and people have mentioned the holocaust, but we still don't go in? I know we did the same in WW2, they knew from 1942/1943, but we let millions more die.

I don't really care what he says, the whole point of Twitter is for people to say how they feel, just because you don't like it or agree, doesn't make it wrong. That said, you can't embarrass the company that you are working for if you are in that sort of high profile job.

Finally, best player i ever saw in the flesh. Not sure I'd still be into football if it wasn't for him and like many others, met him loads of times and he is without doubt a straight up guy and does a hell of a lot of good work for others, and ironically did a lot at Fare Share during the pandemic. 

Wow, you believe that there is a chance that the Ukrainians moved multiple dead bodies to areas to try and pin atrocities on the Russians? I assume you think they raped them as well. Ukraine had the moral high ground and most of the world behind them, to think they needed to stoop that low is incredible.

Perhaps Im naive, but this is really far fetched Sadly this type of attitude is just what the Russians want to believe, their campaign of mis information is working. I was a resident of Salisbury, I witnessed how people thought that it was done by our own people, due to Russians use of social media. It seems their manipulation is working again.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

I would be very surprised if the club hadn’t been in contact with him before he stepped aside from his ambassador role. 

100% hes doesnt have the brain cells to do himself.

I can imagine nobody at the club wanted the stick of sacking le tissier against their name, so they would have verbally told him to do it himself.

• Like 1

Has he had some sort of breakdown or something? His absurd views and the bonkers conspiracies he has been peddling don't seem to be particularly in character for the rest of his life, unless he has been hiding this and its all flooded out after he's had little else to do since getting sacked by Sky? I've also thought that character wise he seemed pretty normal, pretty down to earth and whilst not the most intelligent, not this dumb to believe this utter crap he is spouting/re-tweeting. 

No real surprise he's left the ambassador role, sad but pretty inevitable after all these whacky opinions he has been sharing. 

Still a legend of a player but yes very clearly an embarrassment now to the club and to himself really.  I do though seriously wonder if something has triggered this but any benefit of the doubt or goodwill he had about the covid stuff has now gone. 

7 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Wow, you believe that there is a chance that the Ukrainians moved multiple dead bodies to areas to try and pin atrocities on the Russians? I assume you think they raped them as well. Ukraine had the moral high ground and most of the world behind them, to think they needed to stoop that low is incredible.

Perhaps I'm naive, but this is really far fetched Sadly this type of attitude is just what the Russians want to believe, their campaign of misinformation is working. I was a resident of Salisbury, I witnessed how people thought that it was done by our own people, due to Russians use of social media. It seems their manipulation is working again.

Some people just need to be contrary, it's their identity and manifests in a lot of different way. There's no shortage of people claiming the likes of MLT were proven right about COVID, although the unfortunate problem with proving things is that it requires proof.

• Like 3

It'd really sad that it's come to this, you can see his popularity and legendary status with all fans is just dropping through the floor, he's become a figure of fun.

But he's chosen to air his views rather than maintain his status with the club, so I guess that act could be filed under brave.....if you're being generous.

Sad day.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Some people just need to be contrary, it's their identity and manifests in a lot of different way. There's no shortage of people claiming the likes of MLT were proven right about COVID, although the unfortunate problem with proving things is that it requires proof.

And the sad thing is that the Russians will use such posts as propaganda to show their people that prominent people in the UK/world are saying such things

• Like 1

1 hour ago, farawaysaint said:

There are two options:

1) MLT outright missed the point of the tweet he shared meaning he is a bit thick.

2) He understood perfectly well and is now back-pedalling because of how disgusting the views are

I’m leaning towards 2 based on everything else he has shared over the last two years.

If he didn't realise the point then he's not just a bit thick.  I think he just genuinely believes there are lizard people etc.

Oh dear so many BBC worshippers on here who cannot or will not examine subjects from all angles. 
Have your own opinion by all means but blindly slagging off people is pretty basic bigotry without some evidence to the contrary from anywhere but our mainstream media which is normally as bias and one dimensional as any Russian media on most subjects Covid included.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, captainchris said:

Oh dear so many BBC worshippers on here who cannot or will not examine subjects from all angles. 
Have your own opinion by all means but blindly slagging off people is pretty basic bigotry without some evidence to the contrary from anywhere but our mainstream media which is normally as bias and one dimensional as any Russian media on most subjects Covid included.

Do not google this

• Haha 13

Opinions are like arseholes, we all have them. I don’t care about Matt Letissiers political leanings, I don’t care about his views on covid, Ukraine or anything else. In this free democracy we’re all allowed to have opinions and in most cases, we can air them freely.

I care only for what Matt has done for this club and in my eyes he will always be a Saints legend! 

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Perhaps Im naive, but this is really far fetched Sadly this type of attitude is just what the Russians want to believe, their campaign of mis information is working. I was a resident of Salisbury, I witnessed how people thought that it was done by our own people, due to Russians use of social media. It seems their manipulation is working again.

not really what i said at all, but there you go. 

33 minutes ago, captainchris said:

who cannot or will not examine subjects from all angles. 

How many angles are there to the raped corpses of defenseless women and children being dumped in piles in the street, with first hand accounts from survivors saying, "I watched drunk Russian soldiers come in and do this."?

I feel rather bad that I haven't been open minded enough to see the positive side.

33 minutes ago, captainchris said:

as bias and one dimensional as any Russian media on most subjects Covid included.

Ah right, so I won't find one single mainstream media report questioning or criticising the actions of the Tories? If I look on the Indy, Guardian or BBC websites it's just wall to wall praise for glorious leader Boris?

• Like 6

3 hours ago, OldNick said:

Im sorry I adored MLT as much as anybody, but that does not excuse his actions now. What does a football club matter when women and children are getting raped and murdered, and he is using his position to deny this is happening. 

MLT has the mouthpiece as he gained his fame playing for us, he should not embarrass our fanbase with his ridiculous standpoint.

I dont doubt the Ukrainians have done stuff to the Russian invaders but do not try and wave through the denial that this butchery has happened.

Shame on us as a fanbase if we do

I fully respect where you're coming from.

At the end of the day, I'm not on Twitter etc. and don't see any of his communications first hand.  I only know him as the player who has done immeasurable good for our club over the years and that view would probably only change if I found out he'd been convicted of a severe crime or something.

It does sound like he's mad as a barrel of frogs these days, but I'm not at all convinced that his alleged actions are anything other than (very silly) words on a screen.  Any adult reading them can take them or leave them as far as I'm concerned and must continue to take personal responsibility for whatever they do with that information thereafter.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, warsash saint said:

Tweet

See new Tweets

Conversation

cthi2ASj_bigger.jpg
To all the fans of sfc. I have decided to step aside from my role as an ambassador of SFC. My views are my own and always have been, and it’s important to take this step today to avoid any confusion. This does not affect my relationship with and love for

Correct decision. 
hope he gets the help he needs. 

2 hours ago, farawaysaint said:

There are two options:

1) MLT outright missed the point of the tweet he shared meaning he is a bit thick.

2) He understood perfectly well and is now back-pedalling because of how disgusting the views are

I’m leaning towards 2 based on everything else he has shared over the last two years.

I lean towards 1. He really isn't terribly clever and just because he has opinions that are different to the masses, that doesn't make it so. 

1 hour ago, Noodles34 said:

37 minutes ago, captainchris said:

In context this is Putin's Russia , who took Russia into Syria using the same battlefield tactics he is now using in Ukraine , poisioned anyone in Russia who tried to put themselves up as opposing candidates in the election , who poisoned Russians and English people in Sailsbury , who has poisoned various other people who opposed him in Europe . His regime imprisons anyone who protests or critisises him in Russia on trumped up charges

He uses black propagander to justify his actions which are so absurd they would be laughable if it wasn't so serious .

Plenty of examples where the west has used similar propaganda , although not so rediculous , but still wrong . WMD a classic and Powell's UN performance supporting Gulf war 2 and to his eternal shame Blair 's support for WMD.

You can see the same behavior in our present Govt , copied from Trump . They are constantly attacking the BBC and now CH4 for nor promoting the Johnson agenda . Covid is now at record levels as people trying to go abroad this week have found because so many staff are off sick .

I saw MLT a few years ago at an "evening with MLT" event , he came across well and seemed a balanced individual , his worse comment was calling Hoddle a pratt !!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

I saw MLT a few years ago at an "evening with MLT" event , he came across well and seemed a balanced individual , his worse comment was calling Hoddle a pratt !!

He certainly hit that particular nail squarely on the head - Hoddle had fears for "his legendary status" with Matty around. 

20 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Does the Singapore government insert microchips to track you in their Covid jabs like we do? 😜

A microchip devised by some of the worlds finest minds....that requires 2 jabs and at least one booster to make sure its inserted correctly.

1 hour ago, captainchris said:

Got any links to where you get your news from?

15 minutes ago, Noodles34 said:

Right, so you know for sure then? 

Lol, I dont know any world event is certain. There are some who believe that man didnt land on the moon, the CIA did the twin towers etc etc but Im 100% sure myself what I believe. Iam often sceptical of the press but on this subject I am a believer. As an aside my grandfather was one of the first British to relieve Belsen, I assume that happened as well. Never there at the time though

Leaving aside his actually play, which gave me more pleasure than any other footballer, one of the things I loved about him when he was with us was his beliefs.  He believed he could stay with us and still have a great career, he believed he could stay with us and play for England.  He believed that loyalty to the club that developed meant staying and not going for more money or glory.  He believed there was more to football than the next contract and trophies.  These beliefs made me proud to be associated with him.

In my opinion, and it's only an opinion, the current beliefs make him look like a complete bell end and I am embarrassed to be associated with him (via my club allegiance). Those of you who believe what he believes will just carry on; and I'll carry on regarding you as bell ends as well.  And those of you who believe what he is doing harmless and well within his rights are, in my opinion, naive bell ends. 

The mystery to me, as some have said, is I've met him a few times and he seems such a regular, down to earth chap.  

And I do think this is something we should discuss on a Saints Fans forum.  Matt has/had legendary status for us; arguably our most famous player.  What he says carries an impact.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, captainchris said:

The BBC News are telling the same story as Sky News , ITV News , CH4 News , CCN News etc 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

The tolerant left out in force again demanding he be cancelled because his views are intolerable. 

Wait... So Matt can hold and express any opinion he likes on any subject (which he's perfectly able to, of course), yet nobody is allowed to have an opinion on that?

That's not free speech.

This situation hasn't occured because of a supposed 'cancel culture' - it's consequence culture.

Say whatever you like. Just don't be surprised if people have something to say in response.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Left Back said:

Leaving aside his actually play, which gave me more pleasure than any other footballer, one of the things I loved about him when he was with us was his beliefs.  He believed he could stay with us and still have a great career, he believed he could stay with us and play for England.  He believed that loyalty to the club that developed meant staying and not going for more money or glory.  He believed there was more to football than the next contract and trophies.  These beliefs made me proud to be associated with him.

In my opinion, and it's only an opinion, the current beliefs make him look like a complete bell end and I am embarrassed to be associated with him (via my club allegiance). Those of you who believe what he believes will just carry on; and I'll carry on regarding you as bell ends as well.  And those of you who believe what he is doing harmless and well within his rights are, in my opinion, naive bell ends. 

The mystery to me, as some have said, is I've met him a few times and he seems such a regular, down to earth chap.  

And I do think this is something we should discuss on a Saints Fans forum.  Matt has/had legendary status for us; arguably our most famous player.  What he says carries an impact.

He was quite happy to enjoy himself at Saints , no pressure to train hard or do a Steve Williams and crash and burn at a bigger club !