Burnley 2-0 Saints - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

3 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Is it on TV?

Yep, live on Sky Sports

18 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Anyone going? I considered it but really can't justify the time off work and expense of petrol. There's no way I'm sitting on the bingo bus for over 6 hours each way.

There are lots of tickets left on general sale for this, I mean understandably though. 

As for Sky Sports, perfect game for them to discuss Burnley’s potential new manager and see if they get that bounce. 

If I was Ralph, I’d be happy to revert back to the usual 4222 for this and go for it, but importantly I want KWP/Perraud as our fullbacks. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Anyone going? I considered it but really can't justify the time off work and expense of petrol. There's no way I'm sitting on the bingo bus for over 6 hours each way.

Some of the usual faces are going , sort of game I'd usually love, sold about 500 tickets pointless game in Burnley on a Thursday , proper away day, still tempted to go 

Forster, KWP, Lyanco, Bednarek, Perraud, Romeu, JWP, Elyounoussi, Tella, Broja, Adams.

I'd revert back to 4-2-2-2 for this one. Stu struggles to play 3 games in a week so i'd give him a rest.

Edited by Harry_SFC
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, trousers said:

Even if a different line-up/formation is more suited to defeating the next opposition? I thought people were critical of Ralph for being too rigid in his team selections?

Yeah I'd probably go back to the 4222.

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

If our best 2 players missed a game through suspension, would you not put them back into the team because of the flawed saying of 'not changing a winning side'? 

I didn’t say you don’t change a winning side 

2 hours ago, JRM said:

Some of the usual faces are going , sort of game I'd usually love, sold about 500 tickets pointless game in Burnley on a Thursday , proper away day, still tempted to go 

I was going to the original game but now it’s been moved can’t make it as we are moving house same day. That said get keys at 2pm could be on the train with a 4 pack by 3pm. I’ll just be in the way whilst she’s unboxing so sure she won’t mind 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, JRM said:

Having been to Burnley a few times, I’d find it hard to get the enthusiasm to go for a ‘6 pointer’ on a Saturday, let alone a Thursday night. 

There and Stoke seem to be the coldest, most miserable grounds in the country… I guess that’s just the soft southerner in me. 

11 hours ago, Turkish said:

I was going to the original game but now it’s been moved can’t make it as we are moving house same day. That said get keys at 2pm could be on the train with a 4 pack by 3pm. I’ll just be in the way whilst she’s unboxing so sure she won’t mind 

Sounds like a plan mate,  I've not been since we had that drink up in Hebden Bridge top day that was. 

Good luck with the move 👍

1 hour ago, Dman said:

Having been to Burnley a few times, I’d find it hard to get the enthusiasm to go for a ‘6 pointer’ on a Saturday, let alone a Thursday night. 

There and Stoke seem to be the coldest, most miserable grounds in the country… I guess that’s just the soft southerner in me. 

In a world where we constantly get the 'glamour and money' of the Premier league with shiny stadiums full of tourists promoted by Sky Sports the likes of Burnley represent the antithesis of that,  it is always windy and cold but that's the beauty of it. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, JRM said:

Sounds like a plan mate,  I've not been since we had that drink up in Hebden Bridge top day that was. 

Good luck with the move 👍

cheers mate. 

Cracking day that was. Nice little town. Have to Get another one organised

14 hours ago, trousers said:

Even if a different line-up/formation is more suited to defeating the next opposition? I thought people were critical of Ralph for being too rigid in his team selections?

I agree, Ralph did change and it worked. You sometimes have to know your opponents and how to adapt your tactics.

5 hours ago, Dman said:

I’ve never seen us play well to even get a point there but don’t mind it for an away day. Proper fans, proper old fashioned stadium and some decent pubs and small towns and villages around it which are good for drink. As JRM mentioned we had a few in Hebden Bridge which is a really nice little place a few years ago, it’s also apparently the lesbian capital of the UK so would be nice for the the rainbow saints to visit if they ever decided to do an away game.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, JRM said:

In a world where we constantly get the 'glamour and money' of the Premier league with shiny stadiums full of tourists promoted by Sky Sports the likes of Burnley represent the antithesis of that,  it is always windy and cold but that's the beauty of it. 

Oh I don’t disagree.

The miserable weather and the fact we seemingly never get a result there, or at least in the times I’ve been, have made it a pretty miserable hunting ground from personal experience. 

Given the fact that they have contrived to relegate themselves over the last couple of games, I hope we go there and add to their demise.  Won't be easy though, Turf Moor, lights, rain, new manager bounce, so it'll be a tough nut to crack. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Micky said:

Given the fact that they have contrived to relegate themselves over the last couple of games, I hope we go there and add to their demise.  Won't be easy though, Turf Moor, lights, rain, new manager bounce, so it'll be a tough nut to crack. 

They need to get a new manager in before they can have any new manager bounce. They're running out of games and each one seems like a must win. Hopefully they'll be more open than they usually are and we'll get our chances. 2-1 Saints

Forster

KWP      Lyanco   Bednarek   Perraud

Armstrong JWP  Romeu  Elyounoussi

Broja    Adams

Forster; KWP Lyanco Salisu Perraud; Romeu JWP; Elyounoussi Redmond; Broja Adams

Give Stu a rest in advance of the weekends game. Redmond looked really bright when he came on against Arsenal. 

Tough decision to make between Bednarek and Salisu, personally, I think Salisu is a better player. 

14 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Forster; KWP Lyanco Salisu Perraud; Romeu JWP; Elyounoussi Redmond; Broja Adams

Give Stu a rest in advance of the weekends game. Redmond looked really bright when he came on against Arsenal. 

Tough decision to make between Bednarek and Salisu, personally, I think Salisu is a better player. 

Ramadan doesn’t end until May but the fasting period on Thursday should end at about a quarter past eight. With the relevant permissions players should be able to take on sustenance about half an hour into the game, as I understand things.

On 17/04/2022 at 12:00, adriansfc said:

Weghorst will score the way we give up chances in the air. 

Burnley will no doubt be bang up for it. Feels like win or bust for them in this one, but first goal will be huge. 

It's no good Saints beating Arsenal then losing here. Yesterday's result doesn't make up for Chelsea. It's just a step in a better direction, although 90% just a strong Forster performance. 

I'd hope we play more football in this one. Adams back in, maybe Redmond and Salisu. Not sure Broja is doing much at the moment. I'd go Moi and Redmond either side of Adms and Armstrong in midfield in a 433. 

Depends upon how you look at it !

Dropped 3 points, then gained 3 points !

Over a season you're gonna get ups and downs (hence we are circa mid table) so for me it did actually compensate albeit with a totally different tactical approach !!

11 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Ramadan doesn’t end until May but the fasting period on Thursday should end at about a quarter past eight. With the relevant permissions players should be able to take on sustenance about half an hour into the game, as I understand things.

Is that why Salisu was rested at the weekend ? 

Hoping Saints put on a great display for the travelling fans and the TV cameras.

Just wish Burnley would get some extra points elsewhere and send Everton down as I totally hate them with passion.  Not going to be disappointed with an entertaining draw but I would love it if Ralph puts some youth on the pitch for at least a half.

On 16/04/2022 at 23:04, Turkish said:

Lazy sod! 😉 

On 18/04/2022 at 08:45, hasper57saint said:

It will be sweet justice (after the sacking of Dyche) to win this one. Three more points will almost guarantee PL team next season. 
Always found the Burnley fans very friendly. Perhaps it’s because we have similarities both on and off the pitch.

Small northern mill towns with a population half the size of Eastleigh's, whose football team has massively overachieved by winning the league twice? By rights, you'd expect a team in a town that small to be in League Two, at best.  Having been to watch Saints play at Burnley, I can't say I was feeling the similarities but as you say, the folk there are friendly enough.

View of Burnley (looking remarkably like Southampton) from the Singing Ringing Tree:

5f0caa350cc62925bcd828588d8e7b88-785x486

Edited by Nordic Saint

15 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

10 yellow cards = a 2 game ban

So he misses Man City and Southampton games

Isn’t that as a result of serving the 5 card ban 1st you then get a 2 match suspension - got to 4 before the 1st amnesty, then was a bit naughty and racked up another 6 before the second amnesty date  = 1 game out.

Didn’t think it was doubled up if you hadn’t served the first.

29 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

Isn’t that as a result of serving the 5 card ban 1st you then get a 2 match suspension - got to 4 before the 1st amnesty, then was a bit naughty and racked up another 6 before the second amnesty date  = 1 game out.

Didn’t think it was doubled up if you hadn’t served the first.

Listed as a 2 game ban on the FA website...

https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/discipline/suspensions/clubdiscipline?status=0&league=74&club=10551704

‘Sussex Live’ agrees.

According to the league's rules, if a player has ten yellow cards by match 32, and the Seagulls have played 32 games so far this term, that equates to a two-match ban. Therefore, Bissouma is suspended for the Man City game on Wednesday and the Southampton match on Sunday - but he will be available for Wolves on April 30”

https://www.sussexlive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brighton-bissouma-man-city-southampton-6967347

11 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Must have been a very naughty boy and gotten to 5 before the first amnesty date I guess. 10 yellows does stick out in neon lights on that rap sheet. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Burnley 2-0 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic