Leicester 4-1 Saints - Match Thread

Pamplemousse

1 hour ago, SNSUN said:

Saints defeat, Liverpool title and Leeds survive would make this a really shitty day. Oh and Everton to go above us.

My daughter will be getting gruel for dinner if that happens. 😋 

Hope she enjoys the gruel. Probably a regular feature if supporting Saints governs the mood and menu.

1 hour ago, stknowle said:

2 Lyanco mistakes. He’s been looking fairly decent recently as well. OWWRGAF

Glad he's properly settled in now. That's the problem with our defence (KWP aside) all capable of costly clusterfucks.

35 minutes ago, hackedoff said:

Naive club from top to bottom. Done with it.

Exactly, no leadership or direction. At least tht has been the case with Gao. Just hope Sports Republic and Rasmus can demonstrate something better, and over the next three months not as a long term 'pyramid' project of numerous teams around Europe or the Globe, 

Edited by Badger
  • Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Leicester 4-1 Saints - Match Thread
31 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

Ref pulled the game up while we were in possession for an injury, then gave the drop-ball to Leicester. They went ahead and scored while we were waiting for them to give it back.

Didn't Arsenal once do something similar and had their match replayed?

Not that any of us would want this match replayed. Perez would start and get a hat trick, for starters.

20 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Is it true our fans were chanting Rooney throughout the game? That’s more embarrassing than the result FFS

It’s true mate. Our support seemed more intentions singing more about Rooney and Scousers than supporting the team. Letting off flares when we’re losing ffs 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

17 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

This.

We can moan all we like about his starting lineups and his substitutions, but whatever he does is just like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Every week he is forced to start games with 5 or 6 players who wouldn't get into any other PL team, because the alternatives are even worse.

I just don't see what difference sacking him would make. Not even Pep could make Ely, Redmond and Djenepo into better attackers, or Bednarek and Stephens into better defenders, or McCarthy into a competent keeper.

Didn't Ralph sign most of them? The entire back five for starters have been given contracts by Ralph. Djenpo, Armstrong, Adams...

Edited by Chez
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Noodles34 said:

It’s true mate. Our support seemed more intentions singing more about Rooney and Scousers than supporting the team. Letting off flares when we’re losing ffs 

The away support was good today mate. Maybe you don’t agree with all the singing but we were noisy throughout and most songs were actually supporting the Saints.  Don’t know why you’d feel embarrassed. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

I have been watching Saints since the late 1950's and have seen it all....however....the last half of the season has been one of the worse I have witnessed....

Me too. A (very) long serving Saints fan.
The run of results from Villa has been awful but I have endured several similar scenarios.
Just as I was enjoying Saints games until Villa.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, gammon cheeks said:

Ralph has lost the players and the players have lost the manager .....they all need to fook off !!

To go from where we were on 2nd March to where we are today.... P13 W1 D2 L10 GF10 GA34..... something seriously has gone wrong. 

Time is up Ralph. 5 points from a possible 36 in our last 12 games. Goal difference of about -23. Losses to sides we should be doing much better against. No sign that he could do anything to stem the tide. Just poor team selections, substitutions, motivation, tactics etc. Enough chances and this should be his swan song but I think Semmens will save his neck.

• Like 1

In the 27 seasons the premier league has been a 20 team league, a team has been relegated on 40+ pts on only 3 occasions, 2 of those seasons 41 pts would have been enough to stay up, the other 43 pts. 

We’ve finished in 15th which is exactly where I’d expect us to be. 8 teams lost more games than we have this season, despite our awful run.

Our downfall has been that we only won 9, only 3 teams failed to win more, the 3 that went down. If we carried more of a goal threat and turned even half our draws into wins, we’d have been challenging for a Europa league spot.

Its been an odd season, because wins and loses have come in bunches, had they been spread out more evenly we’d probably be fairly satisfied with what we achieved, a solid cup run and survival.

• Like 5

Just now, Pamplemousse said:

Away end was brilliant.

"Booing" of Ralph was a minority, most fans, including everyone around me, were clapping him.

Confident with new signings will bounce back better next season

Your optimism is admirable sir, I’m not sure it’s an optimism I can share at the moment.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Teddeer said:

Time is up Ralph. 5 points from a possible 36 in our last 12 games. Goal difference of about -23. Losses to sides we should be doing much better against. No sign that he could do anything to stem the tide. Just poor team selections, substitutions, motivation, tactics etc. Enough chances and this should be his swan song but I think Semmens will save his neck.

Won't there be a few people above breathing down Semmens neck now, and scrutinising the decision making rather than leaving him to it as it was with Gao ? Just a thought.

6 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Nope.

McCarthy - given 3 year contract by Ralph

KWP - signed by Ralph

Lyanco -  signed by Ralph

Stephens - given 3 year contract by Ralph

Salisu - signed by Ralph

JWP - given five year contract by Ralph

Romeu - given 3 year contract by Ralph

Ely

Redmond - given 4 year contract by Ralph

Armstrong - given 3 year contract by Ralph

Armstrong - signed by Ralph

Djenepo - signed by Ralph

Smallbone - given 3 year contract by Ralph

Long - given 2 year contract by Ralph

Ralph actually signed all of them to contracts with Saints, except Ely. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Badger said:

Won't there be a few people above breathing down Semmens neck now, and scrutinising the decision making rather than leaving him to it as it was with Gao ? Just a thought.

Yeah, I thought about that but I just think Semmens will fight his corner and convince the new owners to give him another go.

1 minute ago, Chez said:

KWP - signed by Ralph

Salisu - signed by Ralph

Ely

Ralph doesn’t sign players. He will no doubt have some input but it’ll very much be driven by what we can afford.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chez said:

KWP - signed by Ralph

Salisu - signed by Ralph

Ely

Yeah so all this shite about “he’s done well with what he’s got”, well he wanted all of them. Out of that lot I would only keep 5.

10 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Away end was brilliant.

"Booing" of Ralph was a minority, most fans, including everyone around me, were clapping him.

Confident with new signings will bounce back better next season

I heard they all said he was world class 

Just now, beatlesaint said:

Yeah so all this shite about “he’s done well with what he’s got”, well he wanted all of them. Out of that lot I would only keep 5.

Did he really want them all or were they just the most affordable options at the time?

I seriously doubt any of those players would have been his first choice if he had more funds and thus better options available.

• Like 2

All this bollocks about trying to get all the young talent City, Chelsea  etc is good but not everything ! To me Ralph should be coaching the under 18s in my opinion ...He is all about developing young  players and is not a manager ..We tried this before and we went down .....If Ralph was as good as he thinks he is ..Why no players from the German leagues ?  When Koeman came.. not the greatest coach at all, but a eye for a player .... Pelle , Tadic , Mane , Alderweireld on loan did not cost the earth and were brilliant for us...Ralph seems to run the club his way and his philosophy on football does not work in the Premier League ...We need experience ...leadership and backbone..ph phfook all under Ralph .

• Like 3

We were a top half team before our inevitable post February capitulation. You don't get into that position if the players aren't capable. Sure we lack quality but to be in that position and plummet like we did is unacceptable.

Too many excuses. We show relegation form the second half of every season despite proving we can compete with these teams earlier in the season. We've lost to all three relegated teams. We can't hold a lead and that has a lot to do with Ralph's game management.

Over the last three seasons during the months of February, March, April and May, Southampton have won just six of their 38 fixtures, losing 24. This team should be able to do better than that but it seems to be a consistent problem Ralph can't solve.

If it's a burnout issue, he's had three years to adapt our game. That's on the manager. If it's a motivation issue, that's on the manager. Tactical naivety? The manager. If he's here next season all the same problems will persist. Baffling team selections, poor in-game management, subs so late they can't have an impact...

I think we've been very patient with him as a fanbase. We've suffered humiliating defeats, gut wrenching surrenders from winning positions, regular defeats to those below us, long losing runs... my patience has finally ran out.

Edited by Disco Stu
  • Like 9

4 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Did he really want them all or were they just the most affordable options at the time?

I seriously doubt any of those players would have been his first choice if he had more funds and thus better options available.

Well that we will probably never know. He had a big say in some of those contract extensions and a couple of those make less sense than the signings.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Ralph doesn’t sign players. He will no doubt have some input but it’ll very much be driven by what we can afford.

he's the first team manager. Every single player will be `signed' by him. If he doesn't fancy them or want them, they don't sign for SFC. Likewise, if he doesn't want to keep a player we don't offer them a new contract.

Absolutely, finances dictate who is possible to bring in, and of course scouts and others are involved, providing information and guidance, but in the end, the buck stop with him as the manager.  That's why he gets £6-7m a year. If he allows others to do the research/work, and make the decisions for him then that's his choice. But its still his responsibility.

It's his side. 

• Like 2

Just now, beatlesaint said:

Well that we will probably never know. He had a big say in some of those contract extensions and a couple of those make less sense than the signings.

You think the club will just let players leave on a free when we can’t afford replacements?

Game = shit. Away end = good.

Squad needs major overhaul this summer, new GK, 2x CBs, 1x CM, 2x 10’s and 2x Strikers please (assuming no Broja!) do not want to see Macca, Stephens, Lyanco, Redmond, Moi, Bednarek starting next season.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

We were a top half team before our inevitable post February capitulation. You don't get into that position if the players aren't capable. Sure we lack quality but to be in that position and plummet like we did is unacceptable.

Too many excuses. We show relegation form the second half of every season despite proving we can compete with these teams earlier in the season. We've lost to all three relegated teams. We can't hold a lead and that has a lot to do with Ralph's game management.

Over the last three seasons during the months of February, March, April and May, Southampton have won just six of their 37 fixtures, losing 23. This team should be able to do better than that but it seems to be a consistent problem Ralph can't solve.

If it's a burnout issue, he's had three years to adapt our game. That's on the manager. If it's a motivation issue, that's on the manager. Tactical naivety? The manager. If he's here next season all the same problems will persist. Baffling team selections, poor in-game management, subs so late they can't have an impact...

I think we've been very patient with him as a fanbase. We've suffered humiliating defeats, gut wrenching surrenders from winning positions, regular defeats to those below us, long losing runs... by patience has finally ran out.

Agree with all that. (except use of word 'by' in final sentence).

• Haha 1

Looks like the only way Ralf avoids relegation next season is to sell the entire squad for as much cash as possible and build again.  If we get rid of Ralf for a new manager, their best chance at avoiding relegation is to sell the entire squad and build again.

either way, regardless of who is at the helm, this squad needs corrective surgery

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Chez said:

he's the first team manager. Every single player will be `signed' by him. If he doesn't fancy them or want them, they don't sign for SFC. Likewise, if he doesn't want to keep a player we don't offer them a new contract.

Absolutely, finances dictate who is possible to bring in, and of course scouts and others are involved, providing information and guidance, but in the end, the buck stop with him as the manager.  That's why he gets £6-7m a year. If he allows others to do the research/work, and make the decisions for him then that's his choice. But its still his responsibility.

It's his side. 

So you think a premier league team having £22m to replace their best defender and striker is perfectly reasonable, Ralph has just spent the money poorly? There are much better players out there for that price which Ralph overlooked?

9 minutes ago, Chez said:

It's his side. 

I'd agree that this is more of his team now, certainly more so than last year. He's had a chance to mould it and with more depth this year, sadly he's done even worse. But...to add some realism to that, he's done it without a goal scorer as we had to sell our best player (Ings) to fund the deeper squad. So we create more problems by trying to fix others, it's not a great recipe.

I think we've kept Redmond, Stephens, Long on newer contracts because we didn't have the finances to replace them with anyone else, so we kept them around in hope they could get better and live up to 'potential', but that hope was always misguided so we now need to give up and use the new ownership as a catalyst to finally improve.

I love my Saints for more than 40 years ... I religiously do my best to catch all games... I'm in Switzerland so most of it on the radio, Solent via the OS is a god sent for us far away, or Sky (in German but surprising amount of Saints games each seasons) but I honestly and sadly didn't have the will or strength to do so the the last four /five games...

I did listen in to Dave Merrington's speech at half time vs Liverpool and today's pre-match send off. Shed a tear but then switched off... just like this team did since the Arsenal game 

Many congrats to our Saints Women, what a team, what champions...

See you all late-summer... with hopefully a lot of changes and a fresh start...

Edited by ButtikonSaint
  • Like 4

One of our problems in recruitment is the unwritten law that all signings must have the potential to be sold on for a profit,  ie young and unproven in a top league. All well and good but the occasional experienced player, 30+, often available on free transfers would help the squad develop and widen the net for quality signings. 

15th - overachieved I'd say. Yes we look at Brenford, Wolves (who finished the season rather poorly), Brighton, Palace etc and think we should at least be able to compete with these but the last 3rd of the season has shown where we are as a PL team. I fear it's not going to improve either, Ralph has shot his bolt here and there are simply too many sub standard players in the squad (Long and Smallbone thrown on today - why?). Overall the only players that come out of this turd of a season with any credit are JWP, and only by virture of his dead ball prowess, and KWP who is a proper PL standard player. Tella has forgotten how to control a football and the rest just don't seem to be bothered, and that's down to the manager.

I spent the whole afternoon flicking between Premier League matches. Not once could I be arsed to check the Saints score (except HT and FT). Not sure I've done that before.

Even scrolling SWF during the games, I barely bothered to open this thread.

It's time to stop the rot.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

So you think a premier league team having £22m to replace their best defender and striker is perfectly reasonable, Ralph has just spent the money poorly? There are much better players out there for that price which Ralph overlooked?

Is the total budget sufficient to exceed the current expectation/outcomes? That's a different discussion.

Could he have built a better side from the budget available? Again, a different discussion.

All I am pointing out is that it's his side. 

28 minutes ago, Morse said:

One of our problems in recruitment is the unwritten law that all signings must have the potential to be sold on for a profit,  ie young and unproven in a top league. All well and good but the occasional experienced player, 30+, often available on free transfers would help the squad develop and widen the net for quality signings. 

That’s basically the antithesis of what we’ve been doing recently. Hardly anyone we’ve signed recently has been a player we’d realistically expect to sell for a profit. Liv being the exception but if you think we shouldn’t have signed him for £5m you need psychiatric counselling. We have signed an experienced, 30+ player in Walcott. He’s just useless and hasn’t developed the squad at all.

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Hope she enjoys the gruel. Probably a regular feature if supporting Saints governs the mood and menu.

Glad he's properly settled in now. That's the problem with our defence (KWP aside) all capable of costly clusterfucks.

Exactly, no leadership or direction. At least tht has been the case with Gao. Just hope Sports Republic and Rasmus can demonstrate something better, and over the next three months not as a long term 'pyramid' project of numerous teams around Europe or the Globe, 

Don't hold your breath