Women’s Football

Turkish

5 hours ago, Jimmy_D said:

Fantastic performance today! We’re in the World Cup Final!

Top quality goals. Australia’s counter attacking game got them the win against us in the friendly, and probably gave them the best chance against us today, but we looked far more comfortable against a team that doesn’t use a high press.

A final is always a one-off game where anything can happen of course, but we go into it with a fantastic chance of holding both the Continental and World Cup at the final whistle.

You were that sap at the fans fourm asking us to be more welcoming of awy fans, weren't you...

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

She's the best womens keeper in the world despite her height.

That's not really all that difficult though, is it. The standard of womens football as a whole is questionable, but the keeping is beyond pathetic for 95% of them. 

20 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66524191

Ah well. Only reason for the win gone!

What is this weird new story every time England women get past about the quarter final of a tournament. Don't think I'd ever heard anyone remotely mention it until a couple of years ago, now it seems like a big deal whenever the government (rightly) says "don't be so fucking ridiculous".

[Edit: in reply to Turkish's "So it's no longer a game..."]

Well you can, so long as you acknowledge that, historically, the women's team's achievement could be greater, because women's football in Britain had to recover from the sexual apartheid rules introduced by the FA in 1921, when it banned women's football on member grounds - a ban only lifted in 1970 (and recovery since 1970 has been painfully slow). So rather than 1966, 1921 is the relevant date - we're a little more than a century on from when the FA deemed football "quite unsuitable for females."

Not that it was plain sailing for the men's game, where the maximum wage for players persisted until 1961 - just five years before the WC win - when it was £20 pw.

So it's all quite nuanced - except to say that success on the international stage only really happened after (effective) professionalisation in both the men's and women's games.

Edited by Verbal
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Verbal said:

[Edit: in reply to Turkish's "So it's no longer a game..."]

Well you can, so long as you acknowledge that, historically, the women's team's achievement could be greater, because women's football in Britain had to recover from the sexual apartheid rules introduced by the FA in 1921, when it banned women's football on member grounds - a ban only lifted in 1970 (and recovery since 1970 has been painfully slow). So rather than 1966, 1921 is the relevant date - we're a little more than a century on from when the FA deemed football "quite unsuitable for females."

Not that it was plain sailing for the men's game, where the maximum wage for players persisted until 1961 - just five years before the WC win - when it was £20 pw.

So it's all quite nuanced - except to say that success on the international stage only really happened after (effective) professionalisation in both the men's and women's games.

I would respond but as this post is not specifically discussing the game it will be deleted soon, I do however thank you for the interesting and well made point, too bad it was slightly off topic so will not survive the current regimes post cutting 

8 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I would respond but as this post is not specifically discussing the game it will be deleted soon, I do however thank you for the interesting and well made point, too bad it was slightly off topic so will not survive the current regimes post cutting 

mods can you deal with this post clogging up the forum pls tks 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dman said:

That's not really all that difficult though, is it. The standard of womens football as a whole is questionable, but the keeping is beyond pathetic for 95% of them. 

The standard of women's football is pretty impressive & improving all the time, including the 'keepers.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

The standard of women's football is pretty impressive & improving all the time, including the 'keepers.

you're either very very easily impresed or just enjoy watching women running around in short shorts. 

These are 'elite' professionals who train every day and have the best facilities avalible to them - the slow ponderous rubbish they knock up is not impressive, imo anyway of course. I'm in full belief that you could stick the england womens team up against any competent mens side (i'm talking wessex leauge) and it'd be a massivley one sided game - to the men. 

I'd actually go as far as saying if you picked a sunday leauge side off the local park, gave them a month to train like a professional (i.e get fit) and have a half competent coach and they'll still turn them over. 

That being said, i'm probably not best qualified to talk about it as I've not watched a minute of the shite and wont be whenever the final is either. I'd rather watch the grass grow. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

9 minutes ago, Dman said:

you're either very very easily impresed or just enjoy watching women running around in short shorts. 

These are 'elite' professionals who train every day and have the best facilities avalible to them - the slow ponderous rubbish they knock up is not impressive, imo anyway of course. I'm in full belief that you could stick the england womens team up against any competent mens side (i'm talking wessex leauge) and it'd be a massivley one sided game - to the men. 

I'd actually go as far as saying if you picked a sunday leauge side off the local park, gave them a month to train like a professional (i.e get fit) and have a half competent coach and they'll still turn them over. 

That being said, i'm probably not best qualified to talk about it as I've not watched a minute of the shite and wont be whenever the final is either. I'd rather watch the grass grow. 

The size of the crowds must baffle you? The need for likes of you to always claim men would win is not relevant. Shoudl we dismiss dismiss any female athlete achievement because hey ‘I’ll find a bloke that’s faster, fucking gold medal’s a joke, can’t believe any cunt watches this’

Dont know what it is with sad people like you and LD keep coming back to post the same shite to slag off the women. Do you just not have luck with them?

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Dman said:

Wow. Incel?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Dman said:

I'm in full belief that you could stick the england womens team up against any competent mens side (i'm talking wessex leauge) and it'd be a massivley one sided game - to the men. 

We beat Perth Glory women twice in Futsal. We were all in our 30s at the thatpoint as well. Think they finished mid-table out of 10 or 12 leagues. Womens game has moved on though since then (about 10 years).

30 minutes ago, Dman said:

Do you actually have any idea how much of a massive prick you have made yourself look with this post?

Today's performance from England (and, indeed, Australia) could never be described as "slow ponderous rubbish" by anybody who wasn't too dismissive of the women's game to watch it. 

• Like 13

3 hours ago, Dman said:

At least you admitted that you're talking complete and utter bollocks with that last paragraph. 

If you're not even going to bother watching it then I don't understand why you're taking the time to post about it.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Morse said:

There is a steely professionalism to the England womens team, that is missing in the big moments from the men's team. I'm looking forward to the final and have every expectation England will win. 

At the fans forum Martin was asked whether he gained tactical insight from Spacey-Cale (& v.v)

Should Sarina Wiegman be advising Gareth Southgate? (Does she already?!)

A bit of that steely grit would be very welcome

8 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

At the fans forum Martin was asked whether he gained tactical insight from Spacey-Cale (& v.v)

Should Sarina Wiegman be advising Gareth Southgate? (Does she already?!)

A bit of that steely grit would be very welcome

LOL

Saints tried something similar when we brought in Sir Clive. Look how that went

Edited by AlexLaw76

13 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

LOL

Saints tried something similar when we brought in Sir Clive. Look how that went

@Fan The Flames just beat me to it - Dinosaur Redknapp was the submarine commander who torpedoed this plan by making an argument along the lines of “what can an egg chasing coach bring to to football”.  Bizarrely when Cortese was at the helm he oversaw the implementation, and more, of all the - Mumbo Jumbo, dark magic that Sir Clive was basically being brought in for: and no one batted an eyelid. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

Lol only the dinosaurs at the time thought it was wrong.

Most decent coaches nowadays are happy to learn from other sports.

Mostly I’d agree, but it was when it was brought in at Saints and the manner of who was doing it that caused resistance.  Let’s be clear, Sam Allardyce had been using ideas of sports science and nutrition long before Woodward was brought in at Saints. And it was just shortly before Dave Brailsford was starting to make a name for himself at British Olympic cycling with the marginal gains approach.

Saints problems were many; Redknapp was entirely the wrong person to implement it. Also, there were/are rumours that Lowe’s goal for Woodward was not a consultant/TD but to eventually take over coaching/management. Bringing in a divisive figure like Simon a Clifford was no help either, and giving Woodward/Clifford control of the reserves caused a division with the management team and coaches. But imo the biggest fan criticism was that the side had just seen much of the first team gutted and were told that there wasn’t any money for transfer fees for new replacements (IIRC Ricardo Fuller was the only incoming we spent a fee on and that was £90K). It was thought that the money being lavished on Woodward, Clifford, the vision coach that Woodward lined up, and all the other background activities were not as important as using that money to stabilise the first team with some decent incomings.

The whole approach was flawed from the start.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Kraken said:

Mostly I’d agree, but it was when it was brought in at Saints and the manner of who was doing it that caused resistance.  Let’s be clear, Sam Allardyce had been using ideas of sports science and nutrition long before Woodward was brought in at Saints. And it was just shortly before Dave Brailsford was starting to make a name for himself at British Olympic cycling with the marginal gains approach.

Saints problems were many; Redknapp was entirely the wrong person to implement it. Also, there were/are rumours that Lowe’s goal for Woodward was not a consultant/TD but to eventually take over coaching/management. Bringing in a divisive figure like Simon a Clifford was no help either, and giving Woodward/Clifford control of the reserves caused a division with the management team and coaches. But imo the biggest fan criticism was that the side had just seen much of the first team gutted and were told that there wasn’t any money for transfer fees for new replacements (IIRC Ricardo Fuller was the only incoming we spent a fee on and that was £90K). It was thought that the money being lavished on Woodward, Clifford, the vision coach that Woodward lined up, and all the other background activities were not as important as using that money to stabilise the first team with some decent incomings.

The whole approach was flawed from the start.

That's a good summary of the time. The Clifford part was a big flaw, as his hit and miss fortunes after Southampton show. As you say the timing wasn't right either.

16 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Just been into town. 1 England flag on a car and hardly anything in the shop windows.

Yep, whole country behind them

To be fair there were hardly any around when the men's World Cup was on compared to previous tournaments.

I didn't see any of those silly flags on cars which was a shame because it's a good way of working out which drivers are bellends.

• Haha 1

First game I’ve watched of the tournament, some initial notes:

1. Good shape, both teams. Both teams are holding their formation well too…

2. The crowd makes a different noise, there is no singing yet, and rather than the rising roar of the men’s crowd when play accelerates towards the goal, there is a rising shrill scream, reminiscent of the women’s swimming gala, or netball match.

3. there is some excellent skill on display and at least one or two crunching tackles.  

4. The teams do look small and verging on slightly lost on the wide expanse of pitch. I can see why in some quarters there are calls to reduce the pitch size by 15% and make the ball commensurately smaller and lighter along with the goals, but that would probably be impractical.

Edited by adrian lord

1 minute ago, adrian lord said:

That should’ve been a booking

Yep. Awful tackle.

This is the first game I've watched. Better quality and much more aggressive than I was expecting. They play better football than us, and have more pace in their team.

Good game though. 

1 minute ago, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

A lot of the Spanish players play club football for Barcelona who play a very enjoyable style of football, much more than the men’s team at the moment.

poor finish, needed to just hit anywhere in one half of the goal 

I’m surprised no one has called it the greatest save of all time yet like Allison in the champions league final when the striker basically put it straight at the keeper in the only place they could save it