Tyler Dibling

Dusic

These things happen in life, not just in football. You make what looks like a positive change but the grass isn't always greener for reasons only visible after the event.

By all accounts he's a shy lad and very young, sometimes people are just happier being 'close' to home and around familiarity, but you only find that out after you've made that move.

Not sure how the 'getting him back' works in all honesty. I assume we got a small comp fee from Chelsea for him, would think we just agreed to give that back.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

These things happen in life, not just in football. You make what looks like a positive change but the grass isn't always greener for reasons only visible after the event.

By all accounts he's a shy lad and very young, sometimes people are just happier being 'close' to home and around familiarity, but you only find that out after you've made that move.

Not sure how the 'getting him back' works in all honesty. I assume we got a small comp fee from Chelsea for him, would think we just agreed to give that back.

Don't think the compo is an issue, it often takes months or even years for that to be resolved unless the teams agree it up front which they seldom do. I would imagine as he is only 16 and not yet on a prom interact that transfer rules do not apply and that it is relatively easy for him to switch back. Will be interesting to see when he reappears in the Saints squads.

• Like 2

Didn't Matt Le Tiss claim that his older brothers were as good or better than he was but couldn't settle on the mainland?  Would imagine this type of thing might be more common than we're aware of.

I'm guessing when he left Saints it was on amicable terms and that's paid off now.  Good news all round and Tyler can get on with concentrating on his football and not worrying about all the other peripheral stuff.  Plenty of time for that later, important thing is to get to the point where he's delivering on his potential.

• Like 3

Strange one. Given he was at Chelsea an hour or so up the road and not Newcastle, I’m not sure I buy the ‘homesick’ thoughts. He was probably still living down here.

Maybe he just didn’t like the coaches or set up.

anyhow, their loss is certainly our gain. Fair play for all involved for letting the lad return, seems morally the right thing to do. 

Imagine he will sign the scholarship Saints initially offered which will include a guarenteed pro deal when he turns 17 in March.

He is a huge talent, so whatever the circumstances its a massive win for the club.

A lot of big talents in forward areas (Ballard, Doyle, Edwards and Dibling especially), will be interesting to see how we handle them all and which players really break through into the first team squad.

As an aside, we signed Samuel Amo-Ameyaw from Spurs but havent announced anything re the left back Jayden Meghoma - wonder if that hasnt happened for some reason?

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Dman said:

Strange one. Given he was at Chelsea an hour or so up the road and not Newcastle, I’m not sure I buy the ‘homesick’ thoughts. He was probably still living down here.

Maybe he just didn’t like the coaches or set up.

anyhow, their loss is certainly our gain. Fair play for all involved for letting the lad return, seems morally the right thing to do. 

Long drive if he can drive to Cobham every day 

Ralph has been commenting on Tyler today it seems

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/21116748.hasenhuttl-addresses-lessons-youngsters-shock-southampton-return-chelsea/

I suspect many will disagree, but his comments annoy me a bit.  Quite patronising to say Tyler should have listened to the club more and I also don’t understand the comment about the club doing everything for its youth players.  Tyler did what he thought was best, and then brave enough to say when he realised he’d made a mistake.  I’m not sure Ralph’s comments will exactly help Tyler’s reintroduction into the club

• Confused 2

Don't think he has said anything that most people haven't thought or said.

Whether it's wise to go public on it is another question. It's good and refreshing to have some honesty and openness from Ralph. Although this can come at the cost of discretion perhaps it's  a welcome change from  the more evasive "we'll discuss it behind closed doors" all the time.

Edited by Badger
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Barsiem said:

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/21116748.hasenhuttl-addresses-lessons-youngsters-shock-southampton-return-chelsea/

I suspect many will disagree, but his comments annoy me a bit.  Quite patronising to say Tyler should have listened to the club more and I also don’t understand the comment about the club doing everything for its youth players.  Tyler did what he thought was best, and then brave enough to say when he realised he’d made a mistake.  I’m not sure Ralph’s comments will exactly help Tyler’s reintroduction into the club

"The grass is not always greener."

Have you seen our pitch? 

• Haha 11

I don’t blame him for speaking out and making a valid point. It must be hugely frustrating when you are trying to build something to see people jump ship like this. Look at senior players too. Ings might be earning a bit more money but he is only a bench warmer now at mid table club much the same as us. He had probably had a number of similar conversations with senior and junior players and maybe feels it is the perfect time to use this opportunity to underline the message.

1 hour ago, Barsiem said:

I thought the words Ralph used, and the tone thereof, came across very reasonably in that article. I didn't detect anything patronising, just common sense advice. Well, thats how it read to me anyway 

Edited by trousers
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Barsiem said:

I don't see anything wrong in what he said. It's true.

He probably ignored all the advice from good people a few months ago and without question chased the money. Now he's coming back, so the advice people were giving him has been validated. He should have listened as it's delayed his progress now. He was on the bench for us at the end of last season, now he's probably miles away again.

There's certainly courage in admitting a mistake and coming back, but equally he needs to realise he made a mistake in the first place and it wasn't what was best. He was too young to really judge that, he just saw the $$ as i said.

Edited by S-Clarke

The comments weren't as blunt as I thought they were going to be. It's in Ralph's interests, and the club's, to use this as a cautionary tale of a move not working out. They can then bring it out, when the next star-of-the-future considers joining a big club. The articel did also mention that Beach is getting along just fine. So, it's going to be right for some and not others.

On 02/09/2022 at 10:01, S-Clarke said:

cc: Ryan Bertrand & Vestergaard.

I don’t think there was anything inappropriate about Ralph’s comments. The club will have provided sound counselling for the lad following significant investment in his development. SFC staff have years of experience and knowledge of the various EPL club academy setups and the pathways. The lad made a decision, but that could have been based on more than just the money and clearly he didn’t take into account how he might fit into the Chelsea FC community which would be pretty daunting by all accounts. He’s a potential big talent, but in the cut throat sharp end of EPL pro football, career decisions at his age will be vitally important if he’s to make it at this level, so he can count himself lucky that Saints think so highly of him.

• Like 1

Well I was right that many would disagree with me 😂

I guess I'm most aligned with Badgers point about whether it needed to be said publically in the first place.  Strikes me very much "I told you so", which for me is not necessary.  

The example Tyler has set though will be beneficial the next time the big teams come calling for one of our youngsters

I think saying it publicly was needed as it serves as a warning for other players, not just youngsters. Plenty of young players have moved far far too early and suffered because of it, not fulfilling their potential. We have one still at the club in Walcott, I fully reckon he could have become a much better player if he had stayed here much longer and maybe moved when he was 21-22, or at least taken a stepping stone club before the big club.

Also plenty of examples of young players realising this, moving for opportunities to play and make their name. 

9 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

cc: Ryan Bertrand & Vestergaard.

Plenty of names, Bertrand and Vestergaard were two I wasn't too unhappy to see depart. But, Ings, Fonte until Lille, Clyne, Schneiderlin, Shaw, Lambert :(, Lovren, Lallana, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Walcott, even Bale initially all left being the stars of Southampton Football Club and many moved on to become nothing but a number at their new clubs, many of them often mocked. We did get good money for many of them and they of course have made a lot of money themselves and do have some trophies/medals to add to their cabinet, even if they played a minute part in winning them, but they could have also built a legacy at a club, been remembered, which I don't think is on any footballer's minds these day.

The majority were all proven Premier League players also, but failed to bring the quality to their new clubs, so goes to show how unpredictable transfers can be.

On 07/09/2022 at 18:24, Barsiem said:

Quite patronising to say Tyler should have listened to the club more and I also don’t understand the comment about the club doing everything for its youth players.  Tyler did what he thought was best, and then brave enough to say when he realised he’d made a mistake.  I’m not sure Ralph’s comments will exactly help Tyler’s reintroduction into the club

Sorry, but this is the wake up call that a lot of youngsters need, Tyler did what he thought was best? Based on what experience? Teenagers are their own worst enemies, i know, i was one and made plenty of terrible mistakes because i was headstrong and didn't respect the opinions of people with more worldly experience and my best interests at heart. No such thing as being patronising to a 16 year old. 

3 minutes ago, swannymere said:

Sorry, but this is the wake up call that a lot of youngsters need, Tyler did what he thought was best? Based on what experience? Teenagers are their own worst enemies, i know, i was one and made plenty of terrible mistakes because i was headstrong and didn't respect the opinions of people with more worldly experience and my best interests at heart. No such thing as being patronising to a 16 year old. 

Except the advice he received from Saints would be biased, and he would be receiving equally biased information from Chelsea.  He’s an asset that both clubs wanted and he will be well aware of that when considering the offers, so no surprise he wouldn’t be sure whose version of ‘what's best for him’ would be correct.  Also, plenty of players have made the move to Chelsea at a similar age and made the grade, or City. Lavia moved to them at 16 and two years later had a bid for his services of £50m!

And of course you can be patronising to a 16 year old… I get told off by my even younger kids for being patronising to them on occasions!

anyway, my point is not that Ralph’s comments are incorrect, just that they are better made in private conversations with the next player who thinks to leave the club like this, not for the entire public to read how a 16 year old made a mistake

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Dusic said:

Hopefully includes an automatic pro deal when he turns 17.

I’m not sure those things exist.  Would be nice though.

I think there can be an intention but ultimately the player chooses if it’s signed.

Edited by SuperSAINT

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...