Leicester 1-2 Saints - Match Thread

skintsaint

Who's our right-back in the Saints B-team?

If I remember correctly, wasn't part of the philosophy behind renaming the "U23s" to the "B-Team" a while back to provide continuity between the B-Team and First Team? 

In other words, the players in the B-Team should be able to slip seamlessly into the First Team if/when required.

Or maybe I've completely mis-remembered the thinking behind the 're-branding' of the U23s....?

(p.s. before I get jumped upon by the Saintsweb intelligentsia, I'm not for one moment suggesting here that whoever our B-Team right back is is currently of a level to play in the first team, they're probably not, I just thought that was the stated aim of the B-Team when they renamed it from the U23s.)

Edited by trousers

9 minutes ago, trousers said:

If I remember correctly, wasn't part of the philosophy behind renaming the "U23s" to the "B-Team" a while back to provide continuity between the B-Team and First Team? 

In other words, the players in the B-Team should be able to slip seamlessly into the First Team if/when required.

Or maybe I've completely mis-remembered the thinking behind the 're-branding' of the U23s....?

(p.s. before I get jumped upon by the Saintsweb intelligentsia, I'm not for one moment suggesting here that whoever our B-Team right back is is currently of a level to play in the first team, they're probably not, I just thought that was the stated aim of the B-Team when they renamed it from the U23s.)

Lewis Payne. The U21's are playing later so if there's any chance he'll be part of the squad on Saturday he won't be involved today.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, trousers said:

This is what I was referring to....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8597665/Southamptons-academy-turns-B-team-replace-23-club-switch-European-model.html

Southampton are set to approve a restructuring of their famed academy by replacing their Under 23 side with a senior B team.

The Saints academy has helped develop Gareth Bale, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Adam Lallana and Theo Walcott, and before that the club produced legends Alan Shearer and Matt Le Tissier.

The model of having a senior B team has been used successfully in Europe by Barcelona, Real Madrid and Borussia Dortmund.

If the switch is agreed, as is likely, the training for the B team will mirror the schedule of manager Ralph Hasenhuttl's first team at the club's Staplewood headquarters.

Where possible, the B team will play their matches on different days to the senior side to allow Hasenhuttl to watch their games - the club will continue to play in Premier League 2.

It is hoped that by Hasenhuttl keeping an eye on B-team matches, it will help facilitate the promotion of players into the first-team set-up.

Edited by trousers

Both Stephens and Valery have experience of playing RB. It isn't perfect but it maintains a balance.

I'd go

Bazuna

Stephens AWB Salisu KWP

JWP Lavia

Aribo Djenepo 

Adams Armstrong

Case to be made for S Armstrong instead of Djenepo, Redmond could also feature.

Mara on in 2nd half

13 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Lewis Payne. The U21's are playing later so if there's any chance he'll be part of the squad on Saturday he won't be involved today.

Cheers.... seems like a good prospect...

https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/football-news/southampton-fans-saints-confirm-deal-6231482?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

Edited by trousers

1 hour ago, macca155 said:

Both Stephens and Valery have experience of playing RB. It isn't perfect but it maintains a balance.

I'd go

Bazuna

Stephens AWB Salisu KWP

JWP Lavia

Aribo Djenepo 

Adams Armstrong

Case to be made for S Armstrong instead of Djenepo, Redmond could also feature.

Mara on in 2nd half

It’s Bazunu ffs 

9 minutes ago, tdmickey3 said:

Vestergaard to play ?

6 minutes ago, petermcpete said:

Just had a look on the Leicester forum, with Soyuncu out as well they think Vesty will be starting.

Insurance bet on the inevitable Vestergaard last minute winner then.... ;)

#saintsy

Edited by trousers

15 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Watch him have the game of his life lol

He had a fair few good games for us as well during his run of form, strange club Leicester, seems a good time to be playing them but just can't see us getting the win, 1-1 

3 minutes ago, JRM said:

He had a fair few good games for us as well during his run of form, strange club Leicester, seems a good time to be playing them but just can't see us getting the win, 1-1 

Yeah know what you mean. But despite them being in a bit of a mess, they still have, Amartey, Perreira, Ndidi, Tielemans, Vardy, Barnes, Iheanacho, Maddison, Justin,  Amartey, Evans, most of which would get in our side...!

42 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Yeah know what you mean. But despite them being in a bit of a mess, they still have, Amartey, Perreira, Ndidi, Tielemans, Vardy, Barnes, Iheanacho, Maddison, Justin,  Amartey, Evans, most of which would get in our side...!

Yes, I imagine they would be a much more dangerous side if they could play two Amarteys!

• Haha 1

Apparently Tielemans isn't in the squad either, for 'unspecified reasons'.

It does leave a bad taste in terms of how Fofana is acting though. They helped him rehab for 12 months through a nasty ACL injury, and now he refuses to play for them (whilst still picking up a wage I guess)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

It does leave a bad taste in terms of how Fofana is acting though. They helped him rehab for 12 months through a nasty ACL injury, and now he refuses to play for them (whilst still picking up a wage I guess)

Vvd

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Yep. He’s a tosser. Hasn’t handed in a transfer request either, VVD MK II

Great time to play Leicester with the transfer window continuing while the season starts. Schmeichel gone, Ward a downgrade, Fofana and Tielemans not playing.

What we mustn't then do is shoot ourselves in the foot and play the reserved tactics we've been playing this season, nor should Bednarek or Elyounoussi be in the starting eleven. As I said after the match last Saturday, if we didn't learn anything from the performance in the last 20 minutes, then ultimately it was pointless, despite giving us a point. This is a great opportunity to get three points. If we sit back and give Vardy, Perez, Barnes and Maddison chances, they'll eventually punish us, as Leeds did last week. Attack them from the off, take a lead, demoralise them and then possibly go more reserved.

43 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Great time to play Leicester with the transfer window continuing while the season starts. Schmeichel gone, Ward a downgrade, Fofana and Tielemans not playing.

What we mustn't then do is shoot ourselves in the foot and play the reserved tactics we've been playing this season, nor should Bednarek or Elyounoussi be in the starting eleven. As I said after the match last Saturday, if we didn't learn anything from the performance in the last 20 minutes, then ultimately it was pointless, despite giving us a point. This is a great opportunity to get three points. If we sit back and give Vardy, Perez, Barnes and Maddison chances, they'll eventually punish us, as Leeds did last week. Attack them from the off, take a lead, demoralise them and then possibly go more reserved.

Agree with this - sadly Ralph won't.

4 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Um, no mention of Ayoze "I love scoring hat tricks against Saints" Perez?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

It was meant to be a great time to play Everton last season as well first up with a squad in disarray and a fan base who didn’t want Benitez.

We’re just the perfect team that Leicester will want to play too.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Cat said:

Payne, Vokins and Simeu (FWIW) played tonight. 3-0 to Saints, Bellis 2, Pearce, unless Stoke score in the last few seconds..

7 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

It's a good point you make, going to revise my prediction to 3-1 Leicester (Vardy to score anytime) 

Bazunu

Lyanco/Stephens ABK Salisu

KWP JWP Lavia Djenepo

SArmstrong Aribo

Adams

I have a sneaky suspicion that’ll be the line up. Stubborn Ralph sticking with the 3 at the back but perhaps with the possible departure of Bednarek one of the others lads will come in. Mara on off the bench but Aribo to start. We hope for a back 4 but typically we are struggling for the full backs to implement it. 

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

Bazunu

KWP ABK Sali Moussa

Lavia Diallo JWP Aribo

AArmstrong Mara

😬

If this is 4222, I really hope the XI is wrong. Four at the back is progress and Mara deserves a start after his cameo, but why on earth would Ralph bring in Diallo, presumably as one of the 10s, when the likes of Stu and even Redmond are available? He’s proven time & time again he’s not up to the required standard, even less so when out of position. Djenepo aside, when will we start players in their favoured position!? No Che would be a mistake too. He was a contender for MOTM vs Leeds and now nowhere to be seen, despite Ralph saying he is fit & available. This team selection would once again leave more questions than answers for me…

• Lighthouse changed the title to Leicester 1-2 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic