Saints 2 Chelsea 1

John Boy Saint

11 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

The Guardian had a large picture of Lavia celebrating his goal with a caption Adam Armstrong celebrates what proved the winner for Southampton in first half added time !

unfortunately I can’t see how to paste a photo of it on an ipad

Was it this one?

4D799202-ECF0-47E6-8E61-F84ABD770317.webp

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

The Guardian had a large picture of Lavia celebrating his goal with a caption Adam Armstrong celebrates what proved the winner for Southampton in first half added time !

Was it this one?

12 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

Was it this one?

7DA09C0C-DD40-4DD5-921C-871CB6FE7A54.webp

Cracking night, amazing performance, brilliant atmosphere.  It's almost all been said on here already.

My grumble is about the clear offside and the linesman not putting his flag up until Havertz (I think) had passed the ball, causing the melee in which Lavia got injured.  It was so clearly offside I just don't get the new directive at all and now as a result of that nonsense we have one of our best players injured for no reason at all.

Big shout out for Moi as well, possibly his best game in a Saints shirt.  Should have had a goal but otherwise was excellent and much more physical than normal.  Helps to explain why the manager keeps picking him.

I'm finding it hard to believe we are going to be signing more players.  I wanted to see Mara on the pitch last night and Stu but no one was playing bad enough to get hooked. God knows how he's going to keep them all happy if we get 2-3 more.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, The Left Back said:

Cracking night, amazing performance, brilliant atmosphere.  It's almost all been said on here already.

My grumble is about the clear offside and the linesman not putting his flag up until Havertz (I think) had passed the ball, causing the melee in which Lavia got injured.  It was so clearly offside I just don't get the new directive at all and now as a result of that nonsense we have one of our best players injured for no reason at all.

Big shout out for Moi as well, possibly his best game in a Saints shirt.  Should have had a goal but otherwise was excellent and much more physical than normal.  Helps to explain why the manager keeps picking him.

I'm finding it hard to believe we are going to be signing more players.  I wanted to see Mara on the pitch last night and Stu but no one was playing bad enough to get hooked. God knows how he's going to keep them all happy if we get 2-3 more.

That has always been the grumble about these late flags, they let the play go on but it could cause a bad injury to a player for actually no reason. I thought they'd adjusted it slightly this year but maybe not.

Elyounoussi, against the ball, was extemporary and that is exactly why Ralph picks him. He struggles to have much impact in the attacking third due to his lack of pace, but you can't question his effort.

• Like 1

Just now, S-Clarke said:

That has always been the grumble about these late flags, they let the play go on but it could cause a bad injury to a player for actually no reason. I thought they'd adjusted it slightly this year but maybe not.

Elyounoussi, against the ball, was extemporary and that is exactly why Ralph picks him. He struggles to have much impact in the attacking third due to his lack of pace, but you can't question his effort.

They're meant to flag if it's out wide this season, and only not flag if it's down the middle of the pitch or something. I can't remember exactly the situation last night, but I think maybe because it was essentially a 3 on 1 at one point they let it go. Still think the rule is shit though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Left Back said:

Agree about the ridiculous offside issues. If a player is clearly offside then the touchline assistant should be perfectly entitled to raise his flag immediately. They are having their decision making taken away from them because of VAR which is nonsense. Which is better, leave the flag down and risk the attacking side scoring a goal which will inevitably be ruled out by VAR causing a needless delay and disappointment to team and fans of the scoring team or making the correct call, raising the flag, taking a free kick and getting on with the game? We now have one of our most important players sidelined and it was as a direct result of this ridiculous directive. OK, leave the flag down if there is an element of doubt but officials are copping out knowing that if they get it wrong VAR will bail them out. This is surely not why VAR was introduced.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, saintant said:

Agree about the ridiculous offside issues. If a player is clearly offside then the touchline assistant should be perfectly entitled to raise his flag immediately. They are having their decision making taken away from them because of VAR which is nonsense. Which is better, leave the flag down and risk the attacking side scoring a goal which will inevitably be ruled out by VAR causing a needless delay and disappointment to team and fans of the scoring team or making the correct call, raising the flag, taking a free kick and getting on with the game? We now have one of our most important players sidelined and it was as a direct result of this ridiculous directive. OK, leave the flag down if there is an element of doubt but officials are copping out knowing that if they get it wrong VAR will bail them out. This is surely not why VAR was introduced.

It’s a complete nonsense. What could happen is that a player is clearly offside but that play is not stopped and carries on for a couple of minutes during which the attacking team scores. Are they going to go back and restart the game and the clock?

Some interesting facts on ABK from his/her French Wiki entry:

"Armel Bella-Kotchap is described as a gifted player in the field of aviation,"      i.e. in the air, I presume

"On January 6, 2020, Bella-Kotchap extended her contract with her training club until June 2024"

"Waist:  1.9m (6'3")"

"he opened the scoring from the head on a serve from Robert Žulj "

1 minute ago, VectisSaint said:

I wasn't watching the game last night, can someone clarify whether Perraud went off injured as the commentary I was following suggested (not Adam). Haven't seen this mentioned on here, but difficult to see why we would have taken him off otherwise. 

Not sure he was injured, he was just blowing out of his arse. Hasn't had any pre-season at all really.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VectisSaint said:

I wasn't watching the game last night, can someone clarify whether Perraud went off injured as the commentary I was following suggested (not Adam). Haven't seen this mentioned on here, but difficult to see why we would have taken him off otherwise. 

Not injured, just spent. He's still getting back to fitness after his injury and he put in a proper shift, and was blowing by the time he was replaced by Djenepo.

• Like 1

What a night. Can’t remember seeing so many people off their seats for balls going out for goal kicks, or catches from a Saints keeper. The atmosphere in the last 20 minutes or so was one of the best i’ve heard. What a performance from every single player, and all the staff. Just fantastic, great to be there. 

27 minutes ago, OldNick said:

How did Broja play, I heard he had an attempt that Bazuna saved but thats all

Immediately after coming on he went on a powerful run down the flank that we saw plenty of last season, with Salisu trailing in his wake, but we got bodies back and the danger was averted. 

And he got a not very strong header on goal that Bazunu made a bit of a meal saving (to be fair it bounced up a lot higher than he was expecting off our weird pitch).

Aside from that, he did nothing of note. But we were in a low block by that point, so was entirely dependent on his teammates creating something for him, which they didn't.

5 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

Immediately after coming on he went on a powerful run down the flank that we saw plenty of last season, with Salisu trailing in his wake, but we got bodies back and the danger was averted. 

And he got a not very strong header on goal that Bazunu made a bit of a meal saving (to be fair it bounced up a lot higher than he was expecting off our weird pitch).

Aside from that, he did nothing of note. But we were in a low block by that point, so was entirely dependent on his teammates creating something for him, which they didn't.

Ok thanks for that. The pitch is alarmingly poor it seems. I wonder if the Euros where it was used meant we couldnt prepare it correctly

4 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Have I missed something about all the Richard Keys’ comments? What’s the story?

He was moaning at why Arsenal celebrated beating Fulham as if it was so important. He’s a fucking relic. Brilliant clip of him suggesting 
Pep needed to get Sam Allardyce in to sort the City defence. Football Cliches podcast is brilliant and do a Keys Corner slot.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Left Back said:

I have to disagree with this.  Screen grab of the offside below.  The offside itself is quite tight so I can understand (given the current application of delayed flags) why the lino didn't flag straight away.  Also, Lavia wasn't injured in the melee.  He gave the ball away initially in Chelsea's half which allowed them to start the counter, started sprinting back, during which he pulled up and started feeling the hamstring.  In the image of the offside you can see him holding the back of his left leg.

Capture.PNG

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Ok thanks for that. The pitch is alarmingly poor it seems. I wonder if the Euros where it was used meant we couldnt prepare it correctly

Jacob Tanswell in The Athletic piece on the game this morning makes reference to "St Mary’s disease-ridden pitch, caused by a fungus problem that left lumps of grass dislodged and turf easily cut up."

5 minutes ago, Mozz said:

Jacob Tanswell in The Athletic piece on the game this morning makes reference to "St Mary’s disease-ridden pitch, caused by a fungus problem that left lumps of grass dislodged and turf easily cut up."

ohh, i wonder if it can be easily sorted?

20 minutes ago, Mozz said:

I have to disagree with this.  Screen grab of the offside below.  The offside itself is quite tight so I can understand (given the current application of delayed flags) why the lino didn't flag straight away.  Also, Lavia wasn't injured in the melee.  He gave the ball away initially in Chelsea's half which allowed them to start the counter, started sprinting back, during which he pulled up and started feeling the hamstring.  In the image of the offside you can see him holding the back of his left leg.

Capture.PNG

Fair enough, can't disagree with any of that.  Sitting in Kingsland south didn't give me the best view!!  It's a current soap-box subject of mine, I've been fearing an unnecessary injury as a result of the new way of officiating and thought this was it.  Happy to be proved wrong (though not happy about the injury of course - Hamstrings can be a bugger to fix)

37 minutes ago, The Left Back said:

Fair enough, can't disagree with any of that.  Sitting in Kingsland south didn't give me the best view!!  It's a current soap-box subject of mine, I've been fearing an unnecessary injury as a result of the new way of officiating and thought this was it.  Happy to be proved wrong (though not happy about the injury of course - Hamstrings can be a bugger to fix)

No worries.  You're not wrong generally.  There are some (Mara at Leicester comes to mind) that are so clearly offside you wonder why the flag doesn't just go up immediately.

Obviously a great performance and result, the thing I find most interesting though is the tactics and the coaching. 4231 is new for us, and I can't remember the last time JWP played as a 10, but it worked very well to stop their midfield dictating play.

In the first half, I thought Elyounoussi, Diallo and Armstrong were our worst players playing a poor game (particularly Armstrong who, deflected goal aside, could barely make a 5 yards pass). But after the break, these three were transformed and were probably our best performers. I expect that with the new coaching staff made up of actual coaches, they were able to get some better advice and pointers at half-time that turned their games around.

The flag not going up for offsides has been around for a whe, it's so fundamental to the current way of reffing offsides, otherwise the advantage is always with the defensive team who would have two bites at getting an offside; from the linesman and from VAR.

The linesman can flag for an offside that they are sure about, and the flag is left until the player who is offside touches it and it then becomes offside. This gives the option for the offside person to not touch the ball and allow an onside player to continue the move, I think this adds a new and decent dimension to the gane. Also it also allows for the opposition to collect the ball, ie if the ball rolls through to the keeper, and for the game to continue without the time consuming free kick.

8 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

The flag not going up for offsides has been around for a whe, it's so fundamental to the current way of reffing offsides, otherwise the advantage is always with the defensive team who would have two bites at getting an offside; from the linesman and from VAR.

The linesman can flag for an offside that they are sure about, and the flag is left until the player who is offside touches it and it then becomes offside. This gives the option for the offside person to not touch the ball and allow an onside player to continue the move, I think this adds a new and decent dimension to the gane. Also it also allows for the opposition to collect the ball, ie if the ball rolls through to the keeper, and for the game to continue without the time consuming free kick.

There doesn’t have to be a free kick. If the opposition have the ball then the referee can play on.

I enjoyed that last night and Saturday. I had become totally disillusioned with our basic default style of play in recent seasons.The obsession with possession from the back and multi going nowhere slow ponderous build up leading to packed defences and no service for our attackers leaving us outnumbered and vulnerable to quick breaks,

I thought it was garbage. Now playing 4-3-3 getting the ball forward quickly is so much more effective. Now causing defenders problems and leaving opponents struggling to get back and help. Especially a goalkeeper pinging accurate 60 yard balls into the opponents back four playing to Che Adams combative strengths with support arriving quickly. 

We caused Chelsea massive problems. Bednarek not playing was a big plus. Our defenders cleared immediately long if able or if any doubt into the stands. We are a different proposition this season long may it continue. Only 33% possession but more shots on target, more corners, more goals and chances leading to a good win against a top side.

Still wearing my Saints shirt from the euphoria of last night,I had to go into town (up here in North Shropshire) to collect my new glasses. On the way back to my car a Manc in one of those vomit provoking multi-coloured shirts was sitting on a wall glued to his phone. As I walked by he suddenly went into a tirade of abuse. "Fucking South fucking hampton. We fucking beat you fair and square and you ain't nothing but moaning fucking has-beens." 

I chose to  ignore the moron but he followed me for another twenty or so yards effing and blinding. I stopped, turned round and noticed spittle dripping from his mouth.  It was at this point I looked at him and said 'What would you like to be when you grow up?' He didn't know what to say and started to splutter even more. In all honesty I felt sorry for him. Totally delusional and no doubt supports his Club in a local pub.

PS. The reason the pitch was so bad last night is because of all the crap Manure left on it on Saturday.   

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, derry said:

I enjoyed that last night and Saturday. I had become totally disillusioned with our basic default style of play in recent seasons.The obsession with possession from the back and multi going nowhere slow ponderous build up leading to packed defences and no service for our attackers leaving us outnumbered and vulnerable to quick breaks,

I thought it was garbage. Now playing 4-3-3 getting the ball forward quickly is so much more effective. Now causing defenders problems and leaving opponents struggling to get back and help. Especially a goalkeeper pinging accurate 60 yard balls into the opponents back four playing to Che Adams combative strengths with support arriving quickly. 

We caused Chelsea massive problems. Bednarek not playing was a big plus. Our defenders cleared immediately long if able or if any doubt into the stands. We are a different proposition this season long may it continue. Only 33% possession but more shots on target, more corners, more goals and chances leading to a good win against a top side.

I said much the same to my grandson sitting next to me that we had abandoned the silly passing the ball around between the goalkeeper and the central defenders in favour of getting it upfield quicker. There was one occasion when Bazunu rolled it out to KWP but apart from that I don't remember another.

13 minutes ago, hasper57saint said:

Still wearing my Saints shirt from the euphoria of last night,I had to go into town (up here in North Shropshire) to collect my new glasses. On the way back to my car a Manc in one of those vomit provoking multi-coloured shirts was sitting on a wall glued to his phone. As I walked by he suddenly went into a tirade of abuse. "Fucking South fucking hampton. We fucking beat you fair and square and you ain't nothing but moaning fucking has-beens." 

I chose to  ignore the moron but he followed me for another twenty or so yards effing and blinding. I stopped, turned round and noticed spittle dripping from his mouth.  It was at this point I looked at him and said 'What would you like to be when you grow up?' He didn't know what to say and started to splutter even more. In all honesty I felt sorry for him. Totally delusional and no doubt supports his Club in a local pub.

PS. The reason the pitch was so bad last night is because of all the crap Manure left on it on Saturday.   

Nice that he called us 'has been's'  Shropshire!! you needed to be careful as he may well of given you a fist of 6 

6 hours ago, OldNick said:

You may have missed the earlier discussion. The pitch has a fungal infection that the ground staff are doing their best to eradicate. 

1 hour ago, OldNick said:

Nice that he called us 'has been's'  Shropshire!! you needed to be careful as he may well of given you a fist of 6 

Should have directed him to MLGs twitter who would have informed him we're definitely not has beens, in fact quite the opposite we had the youngest average age starting XI in the Premier league for several years.