Saints 2 Chelsea 1

John Boy Saint

Outstanding, every man jack of them fought with everything they had and there was plenty of skill to go with the effort. Could have been more as Chelsea rode their luck. 7 points from 5 tough games with this young side is fantastic. Special shout out again to ABK, what a star this boy is and Salisu alongside him make a strong partnership. Thought Che ran his socks off. Hope Lavia is ok because he was immense again and what a goal. Well done Saints, Ralph and the coaches - we never beat Chelsea at home but we did tonight and deservedly so.

• Like 3

We didn't overcommit to a high pressing game, which was part of our undoing last time. But when we did trigger tonight, we really put them off their game. And we were relentless in doing it. Moi and AA constantly getting into good positions, and harrassing. Adams was a great outlet. Smart and sneaky as well as skilled. He bullied their defense. They tried falling over a lot for a while. But when that, and their mewling didn't work we had an advantage over them.

Our own defence worked really hard as a unit. We had a very physical looking pairing, but they worked intelligently off each other too. Cover from Perraud (another who worked his socks off as normal) and the excellent KWP. Having Djenepo, now more comfortable at Perraud's positon, come on is a good bonus. It freshens things up as Perraud generally runs himself into the ground. Djenepo has the pace to keep teams on the back foot too. Lavia offered plenty of support form the back, lots of skill to give himself space and time to make the right choices and link up going forward. Let's hope it's nothing more than a niuggle that took him off.

Such a good feeling to have 7 points on the board. 

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, saintant said:

Outstanding, every man jack of them fought with everything they had and there was plenty of skill to go with the effort. Could have been more as Chelsea rode their luck. 7 points from 5 tough games with this young side is fantastic. Special shout out again to ABK, what a star this boy is and Salisu alongside him make a strong partnership. Thought Che ran his socks off. Hope Lavia is ok because he was immense again and what a goal. Well done Saints, Ralph and the coaches - we never beat Chelsea at home but we did tonight and deservedly so.

7 points from losing positions. Boy has that narrative has changed!

• Like 3

What a win. Absolutely fantastic.

Massive well done to the ref for not buying into their pathetic attempts to cheat.

Spot on from Ralph tonight. Apart from 20 minutes in the first half we were the better team. I wasn't really worried they would equalise because we were set up so well to counter whatever they threw at us. I don't really recall Bazunu having many saves to make in the second half.

We have really started doubling up on players and are so quick to shut them down in tight positions. The number of times we crowded out players and emerged with the ball was unbelievable. It's obviously something we've worked on and is paying dividends.

Annoying for Lavia that he got injured as he was truly looking the part. Hopefully won't be out for 6 weeks or whatever.

A great team performance. Thought Adams was excellent, he really gave their CB's a battle and held the ball up well. Adam Armstrong was also very good, great to see him score too.

• Like 5

Played really well, and this time got the result the performance deserved!

Adams’ hold up play has been immense so far this season, a new striker in to play off him that turns out as good as our other signings and this season could start to look very interesting!

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Ralph On Romeo Lavia: "The negative thing is he is maybe injured now for a few weeks, so not perfect."

bad news, but Romeu or a new signing will have to step in.

It appears we’ve grown some bollocks and backbone. 
instead of crumbling when we concede we seem to excel. 
this to me is the biggest vital change. 
Great new acquisitions thus far. 
Lavia and ABK will become stars. 
Mara will in time also. 
keeper looks a revelation. 
Aribo will shine. 
shout out to Che. Brilliant performance,along with many others. 

Edited by saint lard
  • Like 5

On the platform at Southampton station and very happy. Nobody had a bad game and I was finally impressed with Mo and Diallo who both worked their socks off. Bollocks to the Mail who said the team weren't playing for the manager. I haven't checked the table yet but the announcer at the stadium said we were 7th!

• Like 4

Said on the group chat at half time that ABK and Lavia will be champions league players within 2 years. Both of them absolutely clsss. 

Great to have Perraud back and looking assured. Didn’t back himself when he came on on Saturday. 

Adams is a fantastic bully and I don’t really care if he only gets 8-10 per season, he gets us up the pitch and caused all kinds of issues for the opposition. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jack said:

Said on the group chat at half time that ABK and Lavia will be champions league players within 2 years. Both of them absolutely clsss. 

Great to have Perraud back and looking assured. Didn’t back himself when he came on on Saturday. 

Adams is a fantastic bully and I don’t really care if he only gets 8-10 per season, he gets us up the pitch and caused all kinds of issues for the opposition. 

The rate Lavia is going, City will be back in for the buy back before we know it

• Like 1

Fantastic to see Ralph celebrating with the coaches and the players. A united management team if ever I saw one.

We're finally showing some back bone, strong positive football and exceptional character. Long may this last.

Good performances all round and special shout outs to ABK and Salisu who were magnificent tonight.

A couple of surprise signings and we may be in for a really good season 

• Like 4

Just back from the game….. no not really, I have a 6 day old so watched it on IPTV

What can I say, what a performance from front to back, part of me is glad for the telegraph (or whatever rag it was) leaking about a player rebellion because christ the reaction has been a squad that looks firmly begind Ralph

Salisu/Kotchap looks like they’ve played together at this level for years.. KWP is sensational and what can I say about Romeo Lavia 😍

Tactics we’re absolutely spot on, we went 4231 again but implemented JWP in the No.10 which looked as though was primarily to stop them playing from the back to Jorginho/DLC… AA and Ely tucked in whilst we attacked to allow and overload and they tracked the chelsea WBs in defensive transition.. small changes to our usual but hugely important 

Diallo was integral to winning this midfield too, we all know RLs qualities but Diallo buzzed around and disrupted and made that AA goal

AA/Ely worked hard and AA definitely deserved his goal on his last couple of games form

Lastly… give Che the bloody contract, immense again, he just bullies and causes problems to back lines, he leads the line so so very well

Just fantastic, absolutely fantastic 

• Like 17

1 minute ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Just back from the game….. no not really, I have a 6 day old so watched it on IPTV

What can I say, what a performance from front to back, part of me is glad for the telegraph (or whatever rag it was) leaking about a player rebellion because christ the reaction has been a squad that looks firmly begind Ralph

Salisu/Kotchap looks like they’ve played together at this level for years.. KWP is sensational and what can I say about Romeo Lavia 😍

Tactics we’re absolutely spot on, we went 4231 again but implemented JWP in the No.10 which looked as though was primarily to stop them playing from the back to Jorginho/DLC… AA and Ely tucked in whilst we attacked to allow and overload and they tracked the chelsea WBs in defensive transition.. small changes to our usual but hugely important 

Diallo was integral to winning this midfield too, we all know RLs qualities but Diallo buzzed around and disrupted and made that AA goal

AA/Ely worked hard and AA definitely deserved his goal on his last couple of games form

Lastly… give Che the bloody contract, immense again, he just bullies and causes problems to back lines, he leads the line so so very well

Just fantastic, absolutely fantastic 

Congrats mate

• Like 7

I think the hardest thing tonight would be to pick our worst player. Nobody had a bad game and everybody worked their arses off. I can't remember such a good Saints' performance, and I was at Spurs when we beat them them last season. This was better; we could have had four or five tonight

We seem to have had our best transfer window in a few years, and it's not over yet. Ralph has promised us a new striker and who knows what else might happen tomorrow.. We also have Tino to come back. I'm getting quite excited for this season.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, VictiAbNonem said:

I think the hardest thing tonight would be to pick our worst player. Nobody had a bad game and everybody worked their arses off. I can't remember such a good Saints' performance, and I was at Spurs when we beat them them last season. This was better; we could have had four or five tonight

We seem to have had our best transfer window in a few years, and it's not over yet. Ralph has promised us a new striker and who knows what else might happen tomorrow.. We also have Tino to come back. I'm getting quite excited for this season.

Interestingly the BBC rated JWP as our worst player, which I would see as a very positive sign as it would indicate that other players have upped their game.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62641729

3 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Was anyone ACTUALLY nervous at the end? May be the drink talking but i saw nothing from Chelsea that I was worried about

Nope. That's one of the best things about this win, we saw it out it relatively comfortably in the end. 

• St Chalet changed the title to Saints 2 Chelsea 1
  • St Chalet unpinned this topic