Saints 2 Chelsea 1

John Boy Saint

I’m not sure what to make of Chelsea’s win today vs Leicester since Leicester are horrid but they did funnily enough look much better once Gallagher was sent off and Mount was taken off 

With that said their lineup doesn’t scare me very much as it previously would and I have hopes of getting something out of this game 

Edited by ecurnew02
  • Like 1

A free hit. Give it a go and hope we can nick a result. Feel much more confident about not conceding with Sali and ABK at CB, wouldn’t surprise me if Perraud started at LB. Would expect a few changes but will also probably depend on what’s happening with the transfer window.

12 minutes ago, Appy said:

Another team we hardly ever beat at home, once since promotion i think, in our first year up. 

Yup. More wins at Stamford Bridge recently that at St Mary's against them.

Think they'll have too much for us but they can be susceptible to meltdowns as shown against Leeds

• Like 1

Until we improve on our forward options we will struggle against teams like Chelsea, but there’s enough in the side to grind out a draw if everything falls into place.  Unfortunately head says they’ll be too difficult to break down and we’ll suffer another home loss… 0-2 Chelsea.

We have some player concerns going in to this one. Neither Stuart Armstrong or Mo Elyonoussi are showing much form or creating a great deal. Let's go with Perraud at LB and move Djenepo forward. Maybe time to give Oriol Romeu a run out alongside Roméo Lavia and move JWP forward on the right.

We can win this provided the back four repeat their consistency of yesterday. Keep a clean sheet and it's a win for us, no doubt about that 1-0 or 2-0 to Saints. We can't keep missing from five yards out. Tuchel in for a shock!

Bazunu

KWP    Bella Kotchap    Salisu    Perraud

Lavia           Romeu

Aribo    JWP    Djenepo

Adams

56 minutes ago, Dorchester Saint said:

If Broja isn’t at least on Chelsea’s  bench for this one then it’ll be pretty telling I think…

Same team as Saturday, no need to change anything unless there are injuries of course. 

Swap Elyanoussi for S Armstrong. 🙏🏼

• Like 1

Firstly, let’s keep it all to one thread this time 😅

Secondly, I’m less confident about this than I was when we were playing Man United.
Exoecting a heavy defeat but not as heavy as last time; probably 3-0, Mount to score, goad the fans, be a general bell etc.
I just hope that Ralph doesn’t go five at the back, especially after our performance at the weekend. He’s got to be confident in our attacking abilities, and attack is our best form of defence.

9 hours ago, Dorchester Saint said:

If Broja isn’t at least on Chelsea’s  bench for this one then it’ll be pretty telling I think…

Same team as Saturday, no need to change anything unless there are injuries of course. 

He's been offered to Everton along with Gallagher plus £25m for Gordon according to BBC gossip roundup !

2 hours ago, East Kent Saint said:

He's been offered to Everton along with Gallagher plus £25m for Gordon according to BBC gossip roundup !

What a ridiculous deal if true. Broja is worth £25-30m, Gallagher the at least same. I do not get this hype for Gordon at all!

Chelsea have had a very slow start. We've got a very good chance in this one.

If we don't utilize our squad depth in this one by starting a fresh Mara, S. Armstrong and Peraud we'll be very foolish.

3 hours ago, JRM said:

Another terrible record at St Mary's almost as bad as the Man Utd one, Saints 1 v 3 Chelsea. 

I’ve just checked and Christ, it’s worse if anything. Including the first ever league game at St Mary’s, we’ve W1 D2 L10. That’s not including a 5-1 Cup defeat under Adkins.

On 28/08/2022 at 13:24, Turkish said:

Can’t be any worse than last season, surely…

might concede more goals this time around, but can't be any worse.  Hopefully we will upset their rhythm a bit and maybe get in front.

There are no easy games this season so I'll phrase it this way... this is the last of our tough fixtures before we move on to the more "competitive" fixtures, otherwise meaning games we have a chance of winning. Therefore we need to keep up the performance levels against Chelsea that we showed against United.

We've had a tough start to the season and looking at the start beforehand (including Chelsea) 4 points from those fixtures is probably close to what we could have expected, so any extra we get tomorrow is a big bonus. Then we move on to Wolves,  Brentford, Villa and Everton and to teams more on our level. 7 or more points from those would be a great haul. 

Chelsea are a bit in disarray and don't seem to have much cohesion in signings but Koulibaly and Sterling were both decent signings. They don't seem to have got out of second gear yet and I think they'll be active on deadline day so we've probably caught them at a good time. 

1-1 would be a decent result.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Odds on Lyanco keeping his place up front?

Actually that's not a bad idea. The transfer window closes slams shut soon, so what better way for Ralph to send a message to the board that we're desperate for a new front man who can score? 😉

5 hours ago, Vancouver Saint said:

1-1 if we turn up and play like we did against Man Utd.

2-1 if we 'do a Leeds or a Brighton' and show them no respect whatsoever and play with belief and energy.

0-3 If we revert to 5 at the back and try to contain them.

Leeds just pressed the hell out of them and gave them no peace and no time. We can do the same if we pick the right team. 

9 hours ago, LaptopSaint said:

We can do the same if we pick the right team. 

This is the issue, hopefully he's learnt bar eli, but we're due a wtf moment, the Lyanco coming on up front was more of a 'buy me a striker' to the board rather than another bizarre sub 

• St Chalet changed the title to Saints 2 Chelsea 1
  • St Chalet unpinned this topic