Saints 2 Chelsea 1

John Boy Saint

1 minute ago, Saint NL said:

Hahaha Che bullying Jorginho 😂

Che bulling everyone 😇😂

Loving these Chelsea tears at halftime. Hope we see more. 

Thought we'd get tired, but actually we seem to be out lasting Chelsea. They're still very dangerous in around the box with their quick passing and movement meaning they'll always be a threat. 

Be interesting to see what we do here. Think we have to keep going as we are. Cannot afford another slow start after halftime. 

• Like 1

Was expecting to see Diallo be advanced of midfielders. Showed with the 2nd goal his strength driving forward, not completely convinced by him as a DM mid though.

Generally a good display. Armstrong looking a threat. Hopefully the goal gives him confidence.

Really important period coming up. Can we manage the game with the lead.

Perraud feels slightly undercooked. Wonder how long he'll last.

Thought Che has lead the line better than I have seen before. We have gone long a fair bit, especially from the keeper and he has won a lot of headers and held a lot of stuff up that he had no right to do so. Impressed so far. Keep it up lad.

• Like 3

Good game. Weird game. Started quite well for 10 minutes, then got absolutely pulverised and looked like we might go in 3 or 4 down.

Then Lavia comes up with an equaliser from nowhere, and it's been fairly even since - before we put together our best move of the match to edge into the lead.

No idea which way this is headed. When Chelsea went through the gears it was men against boys. Have they shot their bolt, or will we come out as dozy as we did after HT against United?

Come on, lads, dig deep, bring it home.

• Like 3

I'm getting more and more confident that we'll compete for Europe this year. It's not just the phenomenal new talent we have. It's the evident improvement in some of our existing players. Che. Adam A. Djenepo. Even Moi, who prob still isn't quite enough for a first team regular, is still a lot better than last time. When you can count material improvement in at least seven positions on the pitch, you have to think it's going to be a better year... even though other teams are improving too. 

That belief is bolstered by seeing that we're clearly competitive against top 8 teams.  

Of course, still early days. But right now, I'm really excited for the season ahead.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ekelund said:

There’s a lot to like about this team isn’t there

We definitely have more spirit and belief in ourselves and the new signings have really given us a lift, not to mention the improvement of players like AA and Djenepo in their new positions.

Even if this is a relegation battling season we've given ourselves a good chance or survival, but hopefully we can do better.

• Like 1

Really pleased for AA getting a goal. He's worked hard. While being up front by hmself clearly wasn;t working, out wide, with Adams holding it up for everyone works much better. They were backing off Adams for large parts of that half, as they were losing every challenge he was involved in.

Haven't noticed Moi much, but he's probably the guy who is doing all the little things I've not been noticing. He certainly celebrated the goals.

Please dwith the wya the team goes about it's work. They don't get flustered or carreid away. They keep doing what they've been working on. Last season I thought this was apathy on the road to another defeat, but I'm having another thought about it. 🙂

1 minute ago, NewYorkSaint said:

I'm getting more and more confident that we'll compete for Europe this year. It's not just the phenomenal new talent we have. It's the evident improvement in some of our existing players. Che. Adam A. Djenepo. Even Moi, who prob still isn't quite enough for a first team regular, is still a lot better than last time. When you can count material improvement in at least seven positions on the pitch, you have to think it's going to be a better year... even though other teams are improving too. 

That belief is bolstered by seeing that we're clearly competitive against top 8 teams.  

Of course, still early days. But right now, I'm really excited for the season ahead.

You can be sure that @Lord Duckhunterwill be filing this post away to regurgitate when we go through our inevitable bad patch later in the season...;)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NewYorkSaint said:

Don't get too high, don't get too low. 

This place is full of "elephant in the room" posts when we string 2 wins together and "certs for relegation" when we lose a few. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NewYorkSaint said:

I’m of the mindset let’s get to 40 points first, then dream… 

It’s only HT here, we know very well how quickly it can change!!!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

I fancy somewhere easy to get to like Anderlecht, a Pahars pilgrimage to Riga and maybe somewhere hot in Turkey or Greece.

Revenge for Puel at Ber Sheva, Hamburg  revenge for 84 and then some beautiful city like Florence where we can leave benali stickers all over their statues 

• Haha 1

• St Chalet changed the title to Saints 2 Chelsea 1
  • St Chalet unpinned this topic