Saints 2 Chelsea 1

John Boy Saint

Just now, Saint Garrett said:

He does a decent job defensively, and doesn’t give the ball up very often. No issues from my perspective 

Correct. He's a good team player. What we need against that Chelsea team. 

2 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Do we really need that in a 433 with three defensive minded midfielders?

I wouldn't describe JWP or moi as defence minded, but they both put a proper shift in to help the defence. If we played diallo or JWP plus two attack minded players in a midfield 3, we'd get smashed tonight.

• Like 1

Just now, egg said:

I wouldn't describe JWP or moi as defence minded, but they both put a proper shift in to help the defence. If we played diallo or JWP plus two attack minded players in a midfield 3, we'd get smashed tonight.

I don't disagree with that. I'd just like to think that playing JWP, Lavia & Diallo in midfield opens us up to playing players in the front three who can attack. Elyounoussi is proving time and time again that he can't.

3 minutes ago, benjii said:

He gives the ball away loads. He's easy to disposses and his passing isn't very good.

Who's the alternative, assuming Romeu is off and Lavia unavailable for whatever reason?

Just now, trousers said:

Assume he's being rested given he's run himself into the ground in recent games and due to the additional midweek game?

I think Ralph has realised he needs a defender there, he’s not good enough, he’s a trier but not good enough. 

13 minutes ago, saintant said:

Think Djenepo is a bit unlucky to be benched - would have rather him play than Moi if I'm honest. However,I'm sure we'll see him on the pitch at some stage in the second half.

I’d be surprised if perraud lasts 90 mins, so assume djenepo will replace him at some point tonight.

12 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Interesting to see how Diallo does. 

Not too convinced by elyounessi. His lack of pace in particular concerns me.

I don’t mind Diallo definitely think there is a player in there. A 3 in midfield would suit him. 

12 minutes ago, trousers said:

Assume he's being rested given he's run himself into the ground in recent games and due to the additional midweek game?

Ralph probably thought Reece James would play and preferred perraud to defend against him. Reece James wasnt in training pics yesterday so there was a clue he wasn't available 

On paper, can see why Diallo is being given a go. Personally (against the top sides) I’d prefer Romeo and Romeu at the sitting midfielders with JWP a bit more free. But, as said, it seems that’s likely never going to be an option any more 😪

Interested to see how sharp Perraud is. It’s no secret that Ralph wasn’t his biggest fan last season, he needs to leave no doubt that the LB spot is his ( although it’s not as if we’ve got much choice at the moment).

The lineup is one for while we’re winning or drawing, if we’re losing its Mara and Aribo on for Diallo and Elmo.

20 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

The BBCs take on who plays where regarding an announced start 11, is just weird.

Always is! Armstrong at right wing when he’s played left recently, just makes sense! I’ve definitely seen worse, before the spurs game it was Lavia at right wing…

what’s worst is we literally tweet the team in lineup order 

Not much creativity or pace there but it looks solid enough. I can't see a thrashing like last season as long as we keep 11 men on the pitch. Chelsea are still a good team though so a point would be a great result. COYS.

5 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Interested to see how sharp Perraud is. It’s no secret that Ralph wasn’t his biggest fan last season, he needs to leave no doubt that the LB spot is his ( although it’s not as if we’ve got much choice at the moment).

One thing you can guarantee is that he will be up for it.  

• Like 1

Can't see anything other than a Chelsea win but you never know! We gave everything against United and left with nothing... Not sure we have that kind of performance in our locker again so soon... Suprise me saints! 

• St Chalet changed the title to Saints 2 Chelsea 1
  • St Chalet unpinned this topic