Paul Onuachu

niceandfriendly

2 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Given the latest news on the Crock Ness Drogba, any chance we can recall him in January?

Might be more likely we try to tie a deal up with Trabzonspor for a permanent in January and use the cash on someone else.  I'd be surprised if he came back here although I don't think he's ever been given much of a chance.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Onuachu:

"For me, the Southampton period was like that [when things did not go well]”,

“First of all, the transfer took place in January."

I do not regret any decision I have made, but sometimes there are questions you need to ask before signing for a team."

“You need to find out if the system they play suits you."

“For my part, I won everything there was to win in Belgium, I thought that was enough. It was time to try something else."

“That’s the Premier League. I knew it was 50-50 whether the team would stay in the league or go down."

“But sometimes you take a risk and then you see if it works out. So I took the risk and it didn’t work out."

“A lot of coaching changes and systems that did not suit me."

“Maybe I am looking for excuses, but sometimes if you want to go to a team you have to ask and learn the system very, very well, how things work with the team and everything.”

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Master Bates said:

Onuachu:

"For me, the Southampton period was like that [when things did not go well]”,

“First of all, the transfer took place in January."

I do not regret any decision I have made, but sometimes there are questions you need to ask before signing for a team."

“You need to find out if the system they play suits you."

“For my part, I won everything there was to win in Belgium, I thought that was enough. It was time to try something else."

“That’s the Premier League. I knew it was 50-50 whether the team would stay in the league or go down."

“But sometimes you take a risk and then you see if it works out. So I took the risk and it didn’t work out."

“A lot of coaching changes and systems that did not suit me."

“Maybe I am looking for excuses, but sometimes if you want to go to a team you have to ask and learn the system very, very well, how things work with the team and everything.”

So basically he seems to be saying he struggled because the managers were crap.

Actually, he does have a valid point.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

Onuachu:

"When I evaluate how the clubs care about their players, I can clearly say that I have never seen what I experienced at Trabzonspor at any of the clubs I have played for before”,

“Because the level of care they take towards the players, not only towards me but also towards everyone, is incredible."

"The players’ level of care for the players in every respect."

“They make sure you are comfortable."

“It doesn’t matter if it is two or three in the morning, if you have a problem, when you call, someone is at your door for help within almost five minutes."

“This is very impressive. On the other hand, Trabzonspor fans are also great."

“For example, even the welcome at the airport gave me a lot of self-confidence."

“They are the same in the stadium. I thank them very much for their support.”

• Like 1

Onuachu:

"I love this game very much.

Before coming to Europe to play football, I was playing football in the neighborhood team in Lagos, Nigeria. My mother and father of course supported me playing football for a long time, but when I reached a certain point, my father said that I had grown up and stopped supporting me. He said he was tired. I had to stand on my feet and bring something home because our circumstances required it. That’s why I was preparing to apply for a job in Lagos in writing."

“I believed in football, myself and my abilities, but my father’s pressure was increasing. At that time I met a coach and he asked me if I would like to go on trials with FC Ebedei. FC Ebedei is a semi-amateur, semi-professional club that has an agreement with the Danish Club Midtjylland. I was so happy, I accepted immediately. After the trials, my football life officially started with Ebedei and I am here now,"

"If you are short, you will probably have important advantages such as speed, agility, fast movement, and fast rotation. I can say that I can do some of these about my own height, but of course not as fast as short players.”

"When you are tall, you can get a significant advantage, especially in the dominance of head strokes. I can also be strong and keep the ball more comfortably for the team. In other words, whether you are tall or short, you should do your job by seeing the pros and cons of it and accepting it,”

Edited by Master Bates
  • Like 1

Pretty fair assessment of his time with us. A capable player brought into a crashing club to play a tactic that never materialised, with any chance of it departing along with Jones.

I do hope he gets on fine wherever he ends up, we get as much back on the fee as we can, and we all move on to better things.

• Like 2

On 03/01/2024 at 21:21, Master Bates said:

Onuachu:

"When I evaluate how the clubs care about their players, I can clearly say that I have never seen what I experienced at Trabzonspor at any of the clubs I have played for before”,

“Because the level of care they take towards the players, not only towards me but also towards everyone, is incredible."

"The players’ level of care for the players in every respect."

“They make sure you are comfortable."

“It doesn’t matter if it is two or three in the morning, if you have a problem, when you call, someone is at your door for help within almost five minutes."

“This is very impressive. On the other hand, Trabzonspor fans are also great."

“For example, even the welcome at the airport gave me a lot of self-confidence."

“They are the same in the stadium. I thank them very much for their support.”

Hahaha wait until they actually have to cough up some dosh and pay his wages. Let’s see how well he thinks of them when they loose a game and he doesn’t see a pay packet for 2 months. 

Ropey a you like those Turkish clubs. 

• Like 1

On 23/12/2023 at 10:11, revolution saint said:

Might be more likely we try to tie a deal up with Trabzonspor for a permanent in January and use the cash on someone else.  I'd be surprised if he came back here although I don't think he's ever been given much of a chance.

if they buy him, they'd have to pay all of his wages. No chance of that.

he ain't playing for us again. But only another 2.5 years of us paying him to play for someone else. 

Edited by Chez

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, wadesmith said:

It’s a crack that does not completely break the bone.

I had one of those when I was young. I had broken my arm a couple of years before and  fell onto it again. The doctor said that it was stronger because of the earlier break and that was why it was only ‘cracked’.

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, Master Bates said:

Onuachu:

"I am very happy in Trabzon. Me and my family want to stay here,”

Disappointed we can't tempt him back to play in a system that doesn't suit him, wasn't what he was brought in for, for a different manager who doesn't rate him in that system, and where he makes runs where no one passes the ball to him.

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Master Bates said:

Not once did they allow the opposing defence to reset, and then meticulously try and pass it through them. I'm not sure any of those goals count. 🙂

Edited by Holmes_and_Watson
  • Haha 8

15 hours ago, Toussaint said:

Way better option than Mara 

His style of play is probably better suited to The Championship too, guess it depends whether he'd be happy to play that level or not (I'm assuming thats the division we will be in next season).
Not sure he fits the Russball system though (not that many of the squad do at the minute!)

10 minutes ago, St Louis said:

His style of play is probably better suited to The Championship too, guess it depends whether he'd be happy to play that level or not (I'm assuming thats the division we will be in next season).
Not sure he fits the Russball system though (not that many of the squad do at the minute!)

I was never as convinced he was as bad as many were claiming. In the  very rare occasions he received decent service, in a terrible team with two terrible managers, he looked ok. And, as point out this is the championship. I actually think Russ would have liked to get crosses in, hence signing Ross Stewart. We have no forwards now who can attack a decent cross, Che is short, Armstrong is even shorter and Mara is a powder puff.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I actually think you’re deluded. Absolutely nothing indicates he would like to get crosses in. Including the fact he couldnt wait to get Big Paul out the door. 

We were putting loads of crosses in earlier in the season, but no one could make anything of them. 

2 hours ago, Toussaint said:

I was never as convinced he was as bad as many were claiming. In the  very rare occasions he received decent service, in a terrible team with two terrible managers, he looked ok. And, as point out this is the championship. I actually think Russ would have liked to get crosses in, hence signing Ross Stewart. We have no forwards now who can attack a decent cross, Che is short, Armstrong is even shorter and Mara is a powder puff.

He was bought to play Jones football, same with Orsic and Sulamana, then we sacked him and reverted back to Ralph-ball with Selles which didn't suit any of them (maybe the latter).  He's clearly a decent player and good goal scorer but you have to play to his strengths, would be lost in a Russ-ball team.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

He was bought to play Jones football, same with Orsic and Sulamana, then we sacked him and reverted back to Ralph-ball with Selles which didn't suit any of them (maybe the latter).  He's clearly a decent player and good goal scorer but you have to play to his strengths, would be lost in a Russ-ball team.

I agree with this. Paul was one of a list who didn't fit Martin's philosophy.

And that's fair enough really. Martin has always been clear that he has one way of playing. He's not shown any sign of changing that.

So why, in what was a bloated squad, where we're trying to offload costs, would he stick with them?

He'll stand or fall playing to his principles. At least we won't have to go through the "That's not my team out there. From now on..." phase.

Sadly, we've got quite a list of players that don't suit the system, either at all or not quite enough. Add to that those that seemed to be progressing a bit, going a bit flat too.

I watched a lot of Paul's movement. He was wasting his time thinking the ball would ever get to him, let alone in a way that would give him a chance. He'd make the runs and trot back to his starting position on a regular basis, before he left.