Paul Onuachu

niceandfriendly

On 01/02/2023 at 13:41, S-Clarke said:

If you look at what we've been lacking, it's height and power up top. Obviously, we like to 'hoof' it up to Armstrong, which has about as much success as you'd imagine it to have - but this guy, at 6ft 7 will give us an immediate change in that regard.

This will also give us someone to play off of, pop the ball up to him, get others in and around and closer to him. It will give us a totally different attacking dimension.

He will win most in the air, potentially win free kicks in and around the box, be a target for corners and free kicks etc. I don't think he's a 'sexy' striker by any means, but we didn't need one of those, we needed a unit like this lad. Ticks all the boxes for me.

Not in him. 

interesting article..

https://sportwitness.co.uk/please-let-go-club-chief-reveals-southampton-signing-begged-transfer-felt-dream-slipping-away/

Onuachu has often made it clear that he wanted to move to the Premier League on more than one occasion and it seems he made that clear again to Genk at the end of the window when it appeared his move to Southampton may not come off.

“At 1pm, I had a conversation with a very emotional Paul,” Voetbalkrant report De Condé saying.

“He had trained very well; you really can’t blame that boy. But he felt his dream slipping away again. ‘Please, let me go. This could be my very last chance,’ he begged.

Looks like we may have a very motivated player who wants to prove himself in the PL. He is not going to want to move down to the Championship.

trying to retain optimism

• Like 2

I thought the flick-on was great, he looked alert in the box, and his hold up/link up deeper and on the floor was much more promising than expected. Certainly not a bad debut but was too easily jumped over from behind multiple times in the air.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

He has a chant, don't think it will stick but let's see. Was sung a few times today.

It's basically his name a couple of times followed by the lines "he's got a massive cock, he keeps it in his sock"

Didn’t Man Utd get called out for singing a similar chant about Lukaku?! 

• Like 2

He has a chant, don't think it will stick but let's see. Was sung a few times today.

It's basically his name a couple of times followed by the lines "he's got a massive cock, he keeps it in his sock"

Christ I hope not, cringe every time I hear chants like those. 

As for his performance I didn't see the game today but didn't sound too great. Not worried though, it's his first taste of Prem football against an organised and talented side, after what could only have been a day or two of training. Pelles debut was famously horrendous and he turned into a cult hero.

• Like 2

He’s big, he’s red, his feet stick out the bed.. Paul Onuachu

Gotta be simple enough to chant?

Plus.. thought he had a decent enough debut, some lovely flicks and a few bits of hold up play, by all regards in a match where the whole team was playing poop.. he’s only got more to show. 

• Haha 1

Nice racist chant, along with the Wanyama one for Sulemana and we’ve got a nice little collection there 

2 minutes ago, Roo1976 said:

what happend to us that season?.............................................

3 managers, poor defence, tall striker...... And, yeah......

What I would give for any of James Beattie (yeah, saggy flogged him to Everton) Kevin Phillips, Crouchy, Antti Niemi or Kasey Keller in their prime right now.

Edited by Colinjb
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, The Cat said:

I really couldn’t believe how many of our fans joined in with that song today. 

Not only should we have the brains to work out that this is a racist song, but it’s even been called out by other clubs when their fans have sung it. Surely we are better than this?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, The Cat said:

I really, really hope that this quickly fizzles out. Notwithstanding the obvious racism, it's just a shit chant.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, The Cat said:

they had that song at eastleigh quite a few years ago when I had a st

its fucking embarrassing and should never be sung, it’s fucking weird as well any saints fan singing it should be told to shut the fuck up on the spot

Edited by SotonianWill

• Lighthouse changed the title to Paul Onuachu
14 hours ago, saintjimbo83 said:

Not fair to judge after one half of football,  he he looks pretty rubbish. Reminds of Kevin Francis of Oxford United in the 90’s

How many games is considered acceptable  before I can judge that he has the touch of a rapist and the turning circle of cruise liner? 

The so called song is embarrassing and racist and I’d love to see its creators sing it to him in person and deal with his probable reaction!!

I also read with equal irritation some of our dumb fan base slaughtering him after playing one half of an awful performance managed by an unhinged Nathan Jones. Likening him to Kevin Francis is ridiculous!

Give him some time to settle an provide him with positive fan support ffs. 

• Like 4

I don't think people have been slaughtering him! Ignore anyone who is, they're just trolls.

What I'd say though is that Paul won't be particularly easy to watch,  he will look very clumsy so don't expect a refined footballer - but, if he can create chaos and score goals when it matters then it doesn't matter.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Master Bates said:

Stuttgart, Al Taawoon FC, FC Union & Union Berlin all make enquires.

is FC Union and Union Berlin the same club? Their record signing is about £7m.

Stuttgart's is about £10m.

Sell him for wot we paid if someone comes in .. he is absolutely Pony ! 
was embarrassing watching him in the prem … another gamble panic buy that didn’t pay off .. although selles didn’t play him to his strengths.. but one decent header off the bar doesn’t mean he’ll cut in the grind of the championship!

I actually thought, after looking at a few youtubes of him, that he’d have enough to be a force in the prem

He unfortunately didnt get enough time under Jones, and then was, I thought at the time, under utilised by Selles

Reality was he just wasn’t cut out for the prem, too slow, too lethargic and without the touch required

It was likely an overpriced panic buy that was to suit a manager that was a dead man walking… to be honest he is a walking personification of our recruitment this season

• Like 1

Perhaps if we dominate a few more games in the Championship he might find himself in more goalscoring positions, which I presume was the case in Belgium?

But here he has looked unfit, no pace, looking lost in the position and role he was asked to play, then lost any confidence and any touch he might have with it. Whether the reset of a new pre-season, new manager and new league might help I really don't know. It may depend on how big a hit on his value the club are prepared to take.

• Like 1

The way some of you write players/managers off is crazy.... I've just looked it up & apparently Onuachu played a grand total of 405 minutes for us.... Or exactly 4 & a half games in total.  5 starts, and 6 appearances off the bench of less than 30mins each.  This coming to a new country, league and playing for a team that was franking diabolical and completely disfunctional. 

He may well move on, but if he stays I'm still reserving judgement on whether he's actually any good or not and certainly not writing him off at this stage.  He was top scorer in the Belgian league so clearly can find the goal at the right level.  He may well be great in the Championship after struggling in the PL like players like Solanke have been at Bournemouth.  And I certainly don't think any of us have seen enough of him in a Saints shirt to say otherwise

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Saying he looked no worse than any of our other strikers is an extremely low bar to set though isn't it

It’s also not even true. Che Adams at least at times looked a genuine threat and sometimes gave defences problems, plus chipped in with a goal or two. Tall Paul just sweated a lot, looked constantly fucked and generally just looked totally out of his depth.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

The way some of you write players/managers off is crazy.... I've just looked it up & apparently Onuachu played a grand total of 405 minutes for us.... Or exactly 4 & a half games in total.  5 starts, and 6 appearances off the bench of less than 30mins each.  This coming to a new country, league and playing for a team that was franking diabolical and completely disfunctional. 

He may well move on, but if he stays I'm still reserving judgement on whether he's actually any good or not and certainly not writing him off at this stage.  He was top scorer in the Belgian league so clearly can find the goal at the right level.  He may well be great in the Championship after struggling in the PL like players like Solanke have been at Bournemouth.  And I certainly don't think any of us have seen enough of him in a Saints shirt to say otherwise

In the minutes he played he showed a poor touch, poor movement,a lack of pace, and generally looked a poor footballer. Playing more often ain't gonna remove his deficiencies. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

You can sit on the fence. The club can't. Will he score 25 goals next season. Yes or no?

2 minutes ago, egg said:

In the minutes he played he showed a poor touch, poor movement,a lack of pace, and generally looked a poor footballer. Playing more often ain't gonna remove his deficiencies. 

Selles immediately recognised he wasn't good enough for the Prem, which is why he didn't pick him.  And I don't blame him. Poor man's Kev Francis. You can see that in his youtube video. Yes he scored some goals, but he just ain't good enough for the Prem. It annoys me so much that someone actually got paid to scout players and they came up with him.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, egg said:

Totally agree. When he signed for us, there was a Youtube video of his hattrick - the crappiest ever - and we used to call him Bingo Paul because when the ball went to him, his touch is so poor, it would go off in any number of directions. And despite his lack of pace and ambling around, he was fucked after 60 minutes and had to go off. If we're offered £10m that would be a bonus. Get rid as soon as possible.

1 hour ago, Barsiem said:

What have you seen in his play for us that give you hope that he can cut it here?