Paul Onuachu

niceandfriendly

14 hours ago, Dusic said:

Will make a diffefence in that regard certainly.

My only concerns, despite his good goal record:

- Can we get enough runners around him to avoid him being quite static up front? Hopefully Kamaldeen, Edozie, Armstrong, Alcaraz can help here.

- From open play will we revert to just smashing the ball up to him because he is big and good in the air rather than trying to build up and get crosses in from good positions?

- He doesn't play 90mins very often in Belgium (reguarly subbed in the 60s) and the PL is much faster...

Lets hope for no failed medicals...

Being regularly subbed is a major concern. 

Holy hell. Looks like we have a player that can actually get on the end of these amazing deliveries by JWP. That just in its own right is enough of a threat to make a big lump like Paul a massive addition to a side that I don’t see making the best of these opportunities in most games. This adds threat and pre-occupies defenders to allow other players to even make use of the extra space and chaos if he doesn’t. UTILISE THIS NATHAN. 

He’s big, he’s red, his feet stick out the bed… Paul Onuachu!

• Like 1

Nice from Genk website https://www.krcgenk.be/nl/nieuws/4985/paul-onuachu-naar-southampton-fc

"In the summer of 2019, Onuachu arrived at the Cegeka Arena. 134 official matches later, the affable Nigerian leaves a nice legacy on our club.
That's how he knew 84 times to find the target for our main force.
In the 2020 season – 2021 he guided us to the cup win and, with 33 goals on the counter, he was allowed to use the Golden Shoe receive as the best player in the Belgian fields.

With its imposing figure in combination with good feet and a huge work ethic without a ball, Onuachu has in recent years become one of the absolute strongholds of our A-core.

It was no secret that Onuachu had long dreamed of taking office in the Premier League. The club no longer wanted to deny him that dream.

“ He expressed that dream again during a long conversation today. We could no longer stop him from making his dream come true. I am pleased that Paul is also grateful to the club for that ”, Head of Football Dimitri de Condé responds. “ His departure is of course a big loss for our current selection. We shouldn't be bland about that. But we were prepared for a possible departure ”, the Condé reassures the fans.

Onuachu said goodbye to the supporters in a personal video message on social media. “ I want to thank everyone who helped me grow here. The different coaches, the technical staff and of course the supporters. I wish the club the best for the future. It is my greatest wish that they can obtain the title. Genk will always be my home, wherever I go ”, it sounded with a clearly emotional Onuachu.

The whole Genk family would like to thank Paul for the beautiful years and the unique moments that he has brought to the Genk support. He leaves the club with cup winnings, the Golden and the Ebony Shoe and the title of top scorer.

The club and Paul are looking for another moment to give him an appropriate farewell in front of all supporters in the Cegeka Arena.

• Like 4

Bit of a Pelle feel to it? Good goalscoring record at a lesser European league, big physical player hold up type player, bit of a late bloomer and coming in a bit later in his career compared to most of signings. 

Add in they have basically brought a 'Mane' type which is apparently what we have been looking for, are we trying to recreate 15/16 Saints under Koeman? We can only hope I suppose. 

Jones has asked for more pace and power, he's got more pace and power, let's see if he can do something with it. At the very least we should be more effective on set pieces, both ends, having the tallest player in the league who is also not built like Crouch and seems pretty good at headers. He looks like he could be a complete pain against defenders to be honest if we use him well. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trousers said:

What, even though Beto would have been 'the most ideal signing for us ever'...? ;)

Don't think I ever said that. Vitinha and Beto struck me as more of the same, smaller forwards who dribble the ball and don't score regularly. Onuachu is a unit who has score consistently his whole career. 

If you look at what we've been lacking, it's height and power up top. Obviously, we like to 'hoof' it up to Armstrong, which has about as much success as you'd imagine it to have - but this guy, at 6ft 7 will give us an immediate change in that regard.

This will also give us someone to play off of, pop the ball up to him, get others in and around and closer to him. It will give us a totally different attacking dimension.

He will win most in the air, potentially win free kicks in and around the box, be a target for corners and free kicks etc. I don't think he's a 'sexy' striker by any means, but we didn't need one of those, we needed a unit like this lad. Ticks all the boxes for me.

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/player-analysis/paul-onuachu-202021-scout-report-tactical-analysis-tactics

TLDR - Good in the air, great at chesting the ball, likes to play in front of the CB's and run back to win flick ons (so runners in behind are a must), fox in the box,  bad control (but negated by his inate size), and stamina a real issue - barely manages 60min in the Juniper pro league.

Should score us some crucial goals.... but lets not beat about the bush, we look to be transitioning to a Tony Pulis hoof ball style side.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Wsaint said:

My buddy seems to rate him

** FM Trigger alert**

"Honestly a true fm god. 6'7 strong and rapidly quick. The holy trifecta" 

"Yeah, like quick for a normal size human. Let alone someone who is 6'7"

Its been a while since i played FM, but 9 acceleration and 14pace if below average (for the prem) in my book - you're looking for circa 14on both for an decent prem level? 😅

What i would have done is set up a far post corner routine and let his jumping reach 20, strength 17, and heading 14 do all the work... Reckon that would deliver a goal per game average with JWP on corners 😆

When you look at it in glorified gaming spreadsheet terms, its not hard to see how he could dominate the pro league! He is at the extreme end of the spectrum for physical size and strength.
image.thumb.png.bed8a41e17a3215bfd32ff29b02b9993.png

Is it to late to add an FM trigger warning to this as well? 😏

Edited by Saint86
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Its been a while since i played FM, but 9 acceleration and 14pace if below average (for the prem) in my book - you're looking for circa 14on both for an decent prem level? 😅

What i would have done is set up a far post corner routine and let his jumping reach 20, strength 17, and heading 14 do all the work... Reckon that would deliver a goal per game average with JWP on corners 😆

When you look at it in glorified gaming spreadsheet terms, its not hard to see how he could dominate the pro league! He is at the extreme end of the spectrum for physical size and strength.

Take cover, they're coming.... 

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

I mean he's probably slow getting up to speed with that height, but once he's going, he's going like a freight train, so seems pretty accurate 😂

26 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

It is, but its probably above average for most 'target man' type players. Seems to suggest that despite his size he is still decently mobile for runs in behind etc. if not the quickest off the mark. I mean basically end of the day FM attributes will be an assessment of player by a fan of that club who has watched them often, probably adjusted to the relative league they are in. So suggests that he is probably decently quick for his size but obviously not rapid like say Adam Armstrong or the other new guy we signed. 

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

If you look at what we've been lacking, it's height and power up top. Obviously, we like to 'hoof' it up to Armstrong, which has about as much success as you'd imagine it to have - but this guy, at 6ft 7 will give us an immediate change in that regard.

This will also give us someone to play off of, pop the ball up to him, get others in and around and closer to him. It will give us a totally different attacking dimension.

He will win most in the air, potentially win free kicks in and around the box, be a target for corners and free kicks etc. I don't think he's a 'sexy' striker by any means, but we didn't need one of those, we needed a unit like this lad. Ticks all the boxes for me.

Not sure why we are so excited about a tall striker. We had one when we got relegated last time didn't we? Or was Crouch not that kind of player? I'm pleased with the signings but I'm just not sure his height will make a difference. Hope I'm wrong but people (not you) excited about a tall guy getting on the end of JWP's deliveries are seriously over-rating JWP's deliveries.

2 minutes ago, jabei said:

Not sure why we are so excited about a tall striker. We had one when we got relegated last time didn't we? Or was Crouch not that kind of player? I'm pleased with the signings but I'm just not sure his height will make a difference. Hope I'm wrong but people (not you) excited about a tall guy getting on the end of JWP's deliveries are seriously over-rating JWP's deliveries.

I think just having that presence in the box will help. When we get in down the wings we tend not to whip a ball in, more looking to cut it back or walk it in. With him our "wingers" might have more hope of sending something in, chances are he's getting something on it. Armstrong/mara and che to an extent just get lost in the sea of defenders. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jabei said:

I disagree, not only do not have/have not had much height in the team generally, but the few we do have never particularly attack the ball aggressively. John Terry wasn't the tallest but he used to try to head through a brick wall basically, always trying to get onto the end of things, I think JWP's set pieces are often let down by poor movement and not enough aggressiveness to get on the end of things. I think this guy will fix that, not only is he huge and strong, but he's also a striker so will have more about movement wise in the box, whereas previously we are basically relying on our centre-backs to score because most of our midfield and forward line are sub 6'.  I reckon this guy will score 3-4 from set pieces at least. 

14 minutes ago, jabei said:

Crouch scored 12 goals in 27 PL games for us the season we went down, not far off a one in two strike rate. He wasn't the reason we went down and if Onuachu can get close to that we would have a great chance of staying up.

Our aerial ability in both boxes is pretty pathetic atm so he will add a lot in that respect. I'm not expecting miracles but just having a proper presence and focal point in attack who can cause a bit of chaos should make us more dangerous.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, jabei said:

I don't think people are saying he's a sexy striker by any means, but I don't think you can underestimate just how important having a presence up front is in the PL. Tadic, Mane and Long thrived off a pretty agricultural Pelle. Rodriguez, Lalanna thrived off of Lambert etc. It makes a huge difference and it's been an area we've been deficient in for some time.

The added plus to this is that we’ve filled all corners of the jigsaw, so we’ve added extra attacking quality to supplement what he’ll bring to us centrally. So if we can get our new wide man, Orsic and even Alcaraz closer to the chaos he’ll create then our attack will look light and day IMO.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wsaint said:

One step for him is like 7 for little Adam. 

Actually a good point. He doesn't need to move his body that quickly to cover ground quicker than most. 

Another way of putting it is if he has the same amount of pace as Adams he should still move much quicker than him.

Edited by Saint_clark
  • Like 1

Surely Jones is going to try the big man little man pairing up top.

Get it in the mixer to the big lump, nippy little speedster picking up the scraps. Made for Adam Armstrong.

Look lads, you've heard of Quinn and Phillips right?

Edited by CB Fry
  • Haha 1

Whenever our keepers have to hoof the ball upfield, which they have to do fairly regularly as playing short is often risky for us, it immeadiately comes straight back.

Hopefully with someone who has the height to challenge in the air that wont always be the case......hopefully.

Crouchie did OK for us so I am hopeful the new guy will do so too.

As a (very) long standing Saints supporter, unfortunately I tend to contemplate how our (remaining) players will be suited to the Championship.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

Whenever our keepers have to hoof the ball upfield, which they have to do fairly regularly as playing short is often risky for us, it immeadiately comes straight back.

Hopefully with someone who has the height to challenge in the air that wont always be the case......hopefully.

Crouchie did OK for us so I am hopeful the new guy will do so too.

As a (very) long standing Saints supporter, unfortunately I tend to contemplate how our (remaining) players will be suited to the Championship.

If we class the Carillo experiment as a genuine bad nightmare and forget about it, we've actually tended to get decent results from strikers who are 'target' men types.

Pelle, Lambo, Rasiak, Crouch, Beattie to an extent. Hopefully this guy can do the same for us.

Not expecting someone refined and silky on the ball, he will be ugly and awkward to watch IMO, but hopefully pretty effective. Our tallest striker is currently Mara at just over 6 ft, this guy is a ridiculous 6.7 ft

14 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Surely Jones is going to try the big man little man pairing up top.

Get it in the mixer to the big lump, nippy little speedster picking up the scraps. Made for Adam Armstrong.

Look lads, you've heard of Quinn and Phillips right?

`Think Crouch and Camara/Philips in 2005 might be closer. Lets just hope Paul doesn't get sent off in a crucial match and fail to hold the ball up in the corner in another...

Will be interested to see if we try and play him with Adams at all, might be an option if we need a goal towards the end of a game

29 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Looking forward to seeing this one for saints. We’ve needed a focal point to the attack since Ings and arguably a genuine number 9 since pelle. If this comes off PO and Adams could be a real handful for defenders. Hope we go 442 to accommodate! 

Agree with 442. I think it's pointless playing a big man up front on his own because he'll just be isolated. He'll need a partner. Paul and Che could develop a good understanding and, if they do, they'll be a real handful for most defences.

21 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Actually a good point. He doesn't need to move his body that quickly to cover ground quicker than most. 

Another way of putting it is if he has the same amount of pace as Adams he should still move much quicker than him.

Its going to be watching a baby giraffe run, its going to be awesome

Giraffe GIF

• Lighthouse changed the title to Paul Onuachu